PDA

View Full Version : Moderators Impartiality

Guptar
16th Oct 2010, 22:24
Should moderators be impartial and objective. Should they allow threads to continue even if they disagree with them but are fair and not against the rules.

Let me give a hypothetical example.

Mod...lets give codename deepthroat is part of an organisation lets call it S. Maybe even an owner of such an entity. Any thread about organisation S that is anyway negative is deleted......thou shalt only speak in glowing terms about this organsation or thus the mighty mod shalt smite thee with the padlock.

I do believe this topic should have fair and reasonable and robust discussion. For it does bring the value of this, at times, valuable forum into question.

Deletion of this thread however confirm information I have recieved and wil almost certainly result in me leaving PPRuNe for good.

OpsNormal
16th Oct 2010, 22:42
The world is a horrible place Guptar, everyone is out to get you..... http://www.mediablvd.com/forums/style_emoticons/mediablvd/beatdeadhorse.gif

One of my old employers had a saying.... Everyone brings us happiness, some as they arrive, others as they leave....

Wally Mk2
17th Oct 2010, 00:21
'Gup" you will simply not win with the Mods, they are of a higher power than the mainstream Pruners. I'd hate to be a Mod & be disliked by so many. So let them play in their power house with the big stick & look at it like it's a game where the playing field slopes in their fav. 'Ops' haven't heard that in years:ok:

Wmk2

Tidbinbilla
17th Oct 2010, 01:46
Hi Guptar,

I'm not quite sure exactly what you're asking, but hopefully what I'm about to write will answer your question.

The moderating team in D&G is a small, but highly experienced on both sides of the fence in this industry (that being piloting and managing). Most of us have been here since PPRuNe's inception over a decade ago.

Some of the decisions we make as mods often won't please everybody (take the previous post as an example ;)). However, we try to be as objective as possible in dealing with threads and members.

From my perspective, all of the companies I've worked for have featured fairly prominently in D&G over the years, and continue to do so. Members have written comments about my work colleagues (and I, unbeknownst to them) at different times. Some of these members are known to me personally, others not. Some posts are flattering, others quite the opposite. You get my drift? I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to people taking a shot at me, so it doesn't worry me too much.

Nonetheless, (as my alter-ego) if I disagree with what's written about me, my colleagues or my company, I'll take the person to task directly and rationally, as would any of you, I'm sure. That's what any reasonable person would do.

However, D&G can get pretty fiery at times, and thankfully most threads tend to self-moderate :ok:

When I do put my mod's hat on, the game changes completely. For example, I only take action if the post or poster demonstrates one or more of the following "qualities". The list is not exhaustive:

1. Has breached http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/242994-ten-thingies-timely-reminder.html;
2. Becomes personal (as many threads are wont to do);
3. Becomes libellous towards an individual or organisation;
4. Is a duplicate thread or question;
The list goes on, but I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from.

The action can be anything from reformatting text to merging threads, or in extreme cases, editing or deleting threads and passing on warnings or bans to offenders (rare).

Something you won't see in the front-end of the forums is the communication which occurs between mods as part of our job. There will often be discussions about threads or members' behaviour before action is taken in the actual forum.

As far as a conflict of interest is concerned, Guptar, I don't think it exists with any of we mods. I enjoy my real job, but see stuff posted here about my employer every day. Some of it is down right false. As a mod, I start at para. 7 and work down.;) I won't interfere unless there is a rule breach.

I'm sure the other mods hold a similar philosophy to mine. We all want you to enjoy the place as much as possible, but the onus is on you to act as decent people toward each other. We try not to get involved too often, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Regards from TID.

VH-XXX
17th Oct 2010, 02:08
PPrune is extremely well moderated IMHO. On other Australian aviation sites moderators take out restraining orders against members to stop them logging in, they actively defame individuals and aviation businesses, denigrade members, actively promote the breaking of Civil Aviation Orders and are just generally a nuisance causing many individuals loss of sleep and financial hardship.

It's great over here, believe me!!!

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th Oct 2010, 03:08
On other Australian aviation sites moderators take out restraining orders against members to stop them logging in,Yup! :E

Please be advised that I have sought legal counsel regarding your attempts to enter a private website. Their advice is for me to formally advise you that you cannot use the private forums located at http://www.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com.au (http://www.recreationalflying.com.au/) and if you do so from this point on ozemail.com.au will be contacted to ascertain your account details and address to serve you with harassment papers. This matter will result in both your State Law Enforcement being advised, a court appearance for a restraining order and subsequent potential impacts on your future including the possibility of bringing course to action on any ASIC card application/renewal. As the forums are “privately owned” this matter comes under various State Laws hence why your State Law Enforcement will be advised on any future breaches or attempts to enter a privately owned computer server.

Seems like a pretty severe response to a simple case of multiple personality disorder, IMHO! :}

Dr :8

Guptar
17th Oct 2010, 03:10
Tidbinbilla,

Thank you for your considered reply. While I do agree with you 100% I must disagree with you on one point.

Like you, I have been an active participant on PPRuNe for something like 14 or 15 years, I joined as a mere SPL. I have had the privalige opf being amongst some of the most insightful, informative and thought provoking threads. A real educator to the naive new CPL as to whats out there in the real world. I also have had the chance to meet many ppruners who are vastly more educated, experianced and wise that my owm self.

However, recently in my daily travels, I talk with many GA and airline drivers and the general vibe is they are becoming more and more disenchanted with PPRuNe. Many no longer participate. A dreadful loss in my humble opinion.

Yes, it does seem some topics are out of bounds. Many do believe there is a conflict of interest when it comes to some topics of discussion.

I believe that PPRuNe is the aviation equivalent of Media Watch. But to do its rightful job, nothing should be out of bounds as long as the ten thingys rules are obeyed.

I do thank you for your reply.

multime
17th Oct 2010, 05:18
Guptar - QUOTE. While i do agree with you 100%. I must disagree with you on one point. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Are we changing the decimal system. ? :E

airsupport
17th Oct 2010, 05:53
As Sir Humphrey Appleby once said (Yes Minister, Yes Prime Minister) railway trains are impartial.

However if you lay down tracks (guidelines) they follow them. ;)

I think the Mods here (DG&P) work within the laid down guidelines. :ok:

gupta
17th Oct 2010, 06:05
Tid
Hi Gupta,

Wrong Gupta mate - Guptar is the one you should be addressing

I'm still here & staying

Cheers

The original (and only)

Gupta

Tidbinbilla
17th Oct 2010, 06:16
Hi Guptar,

You wrote: However, recently in my daily travels, I talk with many GA and airline drivers and the general vibe is they are becoming more and more disenchanted with PPRuNe. Many no longer participate. A dreadful loss in my humble opinion.You're not Robinson Crusoe there! I've held the same feelings for the last few years, lamenting that many of our earliest members either no longer participate, or have curtailed their activities severely. Most of these people, whom I know personally, share the same feeling that there's too much aggro and selfishness, at the expense of the camaraderie that once existed. These people have so much to offer the majority, with many coming from check and training backgrounds. Even a few HR people used to frequent these forums.

They simply couldn't be bothered copping abuse from the peanut gallery, packed their bags and moved on. We all lose out!

When was the last time we had a bash in Oz? The last one I attended (years ago) was fantastic:ok: I don't know whether I'd bother turning up at one now, for fear of getting a smack in the chops from some disgruntled member :( such is the atmosphere of negativity and aggression that pervades D&G, and many of its members.

But then one has to ask the question: Do the mods intensify their moderating activity in order to gently try to steer D&G back to what it once was (and get accused of over-moderating), or do they leave it as it is?

To find the balance is one of the tough choices we make every day........

Perhaps it's a good topic for a poll :8

OZBUSDRIVER
17th Oct 2010, 08:42
Gupta, I agree and disagree. However, we joined them...they didn't join us so sandbox rules and toysets....I enjoy reading and posting....the truely golden threads more than keep me interested...regardless of certain perplexing issues with certain individual mods and certain protected posters.

When an issue is taken seriously and argued with passion and experience....and results in changes in the real world....those are the times when this place transcends!

I'll keep logging on:ok:

greybeard
17th Oct 2010, 09:38
Hey, this is PPRune's game,their sandpit, cost us nix to join, same to leave.

We are able to discuss, argue, advise, give good and duff gen to almost our hearts content. Much better than most marriages, employment and social clubs in the world.

In spite of my registered date I have been on this board since it was a broardsheet late 90's, have regrettably seen it lose a lot of its better points to be absolute crapp at times, but still enough good stuff to keep me signing in on most days.

Mods, give them hell if they, in your considered opinion, need it to the benifit of all

:D:ok:

Worrals in the wilds
17th Oct 2010, 09:41
...subsequent potential impacts on your future including the possibility of bringing course to action on any ASIC card application/renewal.

Holy cow, that's just too funny! I can't recall seeing 'making a pr!ck of yourself on an internet forum' on the adverse criminal record list.
Who are these people? I've been an active member of a number of bulletin boards over the years (including the notoriously fiery Bullshido) and never seen a BB owner get so uptight. What did you post, a 1989 retrospective?

On topic, I think PPRuNe is well moderated, particularly for a forum that deals with so many employment issues and defamation minefields.

tail wheel
17th Oct 2010, 10:06
What Tids said! :ok: :ok:

Interestingly, the level of Mod intervention in D&G forums is significantly less than many other PPRuNe forums, a credit to the capacity of the majority of our Dunnunda forum users to hold robust and professional debate.

I believe that PPRuNe is the aviation equivalent of Media Watch.

I don't believe that is the case. PPRuNe is a media source in it's own right: How many times has PPRuNe been used as a source of information by the main stream media?

....regardless of certain perplexing issues with certain individual mods and certain protected posters.

The Mods deal with claims of defamation etc a number of times each year, including solicitor letters and threats - I don't have statistics but my guess, at least twenty to thirty instances over the past decade raging from email demands for user name, contact details and IP address, to full blown solicitor's letters. Our PPRuNe users are usually totally unaware of the drama going on "behind the scenes".

I recall a demand some time ago for your contact details, following one of your posts. The thread or post was removed, your identity was protected and you were none the wiser. And you squeal Mod Bias? :sad:

You (and some of your colleagues) have an annoyingly frustrating habit of personally attacking and slaging other users or ridiculing their statements. You often appear unable to accept that others do not share your opinion or that others may be more knowledgeable.

PPRuNe is not the same as the "other" forum you frequent, never was, never will be. Learn to play the ball, not the man! Learn the art of rational, professional and constructive, impersonal debate. Learn to learn from others. Accept that not everyone shares your personal opinion - indeed, often very few share your opinion.

Tail Wheel

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th Oct 2010, 10:15
What did you postWildly Worral, I honestly don't remember but as you know, I am clearly a really bad bugger!

I suspect that one of my persona (I think it was Bubba!) told someone who had said something stupid, "That is stupid"!

Dr :8

frigatebird
17th Oct 2010, 10:19
How many split personalities of you are there, Doc?

VH-XXX
17th Oct 2010, 10:35
Holy cow, that's just too funny! I can't recall seeing 'making a pr!ck of yourself on an internet forum' on the adverse criminal record list.
Who are these people? I've been an active member of a number of bulletin boards over the years (including the notoriously fiery Bullshido) and never seen a BB owner get so uptight. What did you post, a 1989 retrospective?

The "other" forum name does not deserve to be mentioned on here. The less people that frequent there the better.

I suspect from memory that the good Doctor posted something factual and not fairy-tale, thus he was permanently banned. That what goes on over there!

Unfortunately the reality is that if you do re-register and attempt to log into a forum that you are not welcome into, in theory you are in breach of Australian hacking regulations so as such it could in theory affect your chances of an ASIC renewal if you are convicted.

That being said, I know of a convicted fire-bug who had no problems getting an ASIC !

Worrals in the wilds
17th Oct 2010, 10:48
The "other" forum name does not deserve to be mentioned on here.
Fair enough, just morbid curiosity. I wasn't chafing at the bit to sign up, that's for sure :}.

so as such it could in theory affect your chances of an ASIC renewal if you are convicted.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of the hacking stuff. Thing is, though, there are only certain offences that preclude you from an ASIC and my understanding (and after a quick squizz at the fact sheet) is that it's pretty much limited to drugs, guns and violence. Even violence is a grey area, as there are people with stalking and DV convictions who had no trouble getting ASICs, although the firebug's a new one to me:eek:!

Capt Claret
17th Oct 2010, 11:12
As one who was a member of the Woomera/Uluru/Kelly Gang of moderators I can reinforce what Tid & Tail Wheel have said (and I don't knowingly know who either is). In the years that I was part of the moderating team, we were from several organisations, and not one of us ever censored a post that was critical of our employer or colleagues, for its criticism.

The most common reason was when posts got personal, which was frequent, particularly when that year was mentioned. As best I recall we didn't have much in the way of legal threats to deal with but it is possible that this was because that sort of problem went to the UK & was dealt with there.

PPRuNe was a great source of information but has become less so, not in my opinion because of the moderators but because as contributors, many of us have lost, or never had, the ability to argue a point rather than the man. The Aussie ethos of "giving a bloke(ette) a go" of yesteryear, is sadly missing in this millennium.

More & more it seems to me that pilots, the world over, are more interested in point scoring of fellow pilot by calling them names, rather than being respectful colleagues, who might disagree on a point but can remain civil in disagreement.

One of the 4wd forums I frequent requires all members to have a registered signature accompanying all posts. On that forum the incidence of rude and disrespectful posting is a nano-fraction of what it is here on PPRuNe.

We are all the worse off for the anonymity that is needed to protect posters from employers who might not like what they read, because so many hide behind the same anonymity because it allows them to be uncouth. :{

Peter Fanelli
17th Oct 2010, 11:21
Was anyone else forced to smile when Much Ado, whom I have not seen post anything on here for a while suddenly returns and starts closing threads and posts this gem....

School Holidays again already?

It's almost like he's been away at school :E

Marauder
17th Oct 2010, 11:22
cc

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Amen

Much Ado
17th Oct 2010, 11:37
I mod with a very light hand...but some threads are just a waste of bandwidth.

Now if you disagree with what I consider to be a waste of bandwidth that is your inalienable right - but I could care less:ok:

Much Ado

OZBUSDRIVER
17th Oct 2010, 12:01
I recall a demand some time ago for your contact details, following one of your posts. The thread or post was removed, your identity was protected and you were none the wiser. And you squeal Mod Bias?

Tailie, if I thought there was mod bias against me....I wouldn't be allowed here. Just some posts that get pulled, leaving me wondering what the hell I put that would upset someone so much. But, hey...you ALWAYS respond to my PMs:ok:

EDIT- I appreciate your efforts to protect my identity. Shame they never PM'd me directly.

Peter Fanelli
17th Oct 2010, 12:25
I wish someone could explain to me "waste of bandwidth" as it applies in this broadband world.
It just doesn't seem to be a valid reason for deleting a thread.
Worshiping the "waste of bandwidth" copout is like believing in global warming.

Worrals in the wilds
17th Oct 2010, 13:02
More & more it seems to me that pilots, the world over, are more interested in point scoring of fellow pilot by calling them names, rather than being respectful colleagues, who might disagree on a point but can remain civil in disagreement.
Not just pilots, unfortunately. The same thing is happening across all industries and even in science (particularly in contentious fields like nutrition, climate science and evolution) which was supposed to be the last bastion of logic and reason.

One of the 4wd forums I frequent requires all members to have a registered signature accompanying all posts. On that forum the incidence of rude and disrespectful posting is a nano-fraction of what it is here on PPRuNe.

Unfortunately, as you rightly point out, anonymity is a necessary evil in an employment based forum. There's a reason so few public servants (or ex public servants :suspect:) post on forums like these:
CRIMES ACT 1914 - SECT 70
Disclosure of information by Commonwealth officers
(1) A person who, being a Commonwealth (http://kirra.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca191482/s3.html#commonwealth_officer)officer (http://kirra.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca191482/s3.html#commonwealth_officer), publishes or communicates, except to some person to whom he or she is authorized to publish or communicate it, any fact or document which comes to his or her knowledge, or into his or her possession, by virtue of being a Commonwealth officer (http://kirra.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca191482/s3.html#commonwealth_officer), and which it is his or her duty not to disclose, shall be guilty of an offence (http://kirra.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca191482/s3c.html#offence).
(2) A person who, having been a Commonwealth (http://kirra.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca191482/s3.html#commonwealth_officer)officer (http://kirra.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca191482/s3.html#commonwealth_officer), publishes or communicates, without lawful authority or excuse (proof whereof shall lie upon him or her), any fact or document which came to his or her knowledge, or into his or her possession, by virtue of having been a Commonwealth officer (http://kirra.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca191482/s3.html#commonwealth_officer), and which, at the time when he or she ceased to be a Commonwealth officer (http://kirra.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca191482/s3.html#commonwealth_officer), it was his or her duty not to disclose, shall be guilty of an offence (http://kirra.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca191482/s3c.html#offence).
Penalty: Imprisonment for 2 years.

That's why you don't hear much from CASA etc. Most of you don't face these draconian penalties, but you could face dismissal or disciplinary action if your compnay found out what you were saying about them :eek:.

One of the reasons PPRuNe succeeds is because of its anonymity. Without that, many people would be too scared to post, and IMHO a certain amount of faff and dick swinging is a small price to pay for the quality information and opinion that still gets published here.

People come and go from bulletin boards for many reasons, and of course anyone may choose to leave if they don't like the way the board is run. There is also a natural attrition from boards as people come, read/post for a few years and find a certain sameness to the arguments after a period of time (moderation has come up a few times before :}). That's their perogative, as is going to a restaurant, hobby group etc.

There still seems to be a large number of active members here and new members every day. 'Post quality' is subjective and influenced by nostalgia, but we're obviously still here and reading, so it can't be too bad...

Homesick-Angel
17th Oct 2010, 13:37
Lets face it. Unless you have very thick skin, and can handle the odd flaming, its best to stay well clear of this forum..

I find some of it pretty funny, and have probably dished and recieved a bit of schtick here and there, but there is a line that does get crossed a bit too often which I think is a shame, but its not really up to the mods to make judgement calls on how sensitive we all are.

Its pretty easy to tell when a thread is going to descend into the Sh*thouse, and then the choice is there to keep reading, or leave it and move on.

It would be good if people hit search more etc etc, but when your new on this site it can be a bit confusing trying to catch onto the "vibe".

Isnt it just great there's so many patient and helpful individuals to point them in the right direction.::E

The Green Goblin
17th Oct 2010, 14:02
Whats the big deal girls?

You need to get out and get some fresh air.

Pprune is supposed to be light hearted discussion with intellectual ping pong and a but (sic) of trans tasman rivalry thrown in for good measure (in our part of the world anyway)

Remove your blouse, untwist those knickers and get on with getting on. You'll feel better in the morning.

http://static.funnyjunk.com/gifs/287110588_l.gif

Jabawocky
18th Oct 2010, 02:19
Good post GG

And more Kiwi slagging :ok:

Stikybeke
18th Oct 2010, 02:34
I love this game....

Stiky
:D

remoak
18th Oct 2010, 06:25
Interestingly, the level of Mod intervention in D&G forums is significantly less than many other PPRuNe forums, a credit to the capacity of the majority of our Dunnunda forum users to hold robust and professional debate.

And yet there were many years when the Dunnunda forums were a thorn in Danny's side. I lost track of the number of times he threatened to shut them down, because of all the aggro they were causing him, including several legal threats if memory serves.

And more Kiwi slagging

One day, Jaba, you will be worthy of the title honorary kiwi. Until then, grasshopper, you have much work to do... :=:ok: Like get a real aircraft... :D

tail wheel
18th Oct 2010, 06:57
And yet there were many years when the Dunnunda forums were a thorn in Danny's side.

Nothing has changed and the numerous legal threats don't help! :E

Jabawocky
18th Oct 2010, 07:47
See Tail Wheel......... Its all back to Ops Normal now, kiwi slagging and Retard Vehicle bashing.

Its all good again! :E

remoak....... one day?
One day, Jaba, you will be worthy of the title honorary kiwi.

I would rather take to my butt with a cheese grater! :eek: :ok:

Pedota
18th Oct 2010, 08:18
Tidbinbilla said . . .

Perhaps it's a good topic for a poll

If you were to run a poll on this subject I would say the moderators do wonderful job – fair, balanced, reasonable and sometimes even funny. And this applies to all the previous moderators as well – many thanks for your time and effort in keeping PPrune up and running.

Jabawocky
18th Oct 2010, 08:26
Think its fair to say that overall they do a good job but like all of us they too can cock up......

PA39
18th Oct 2010, 08:37
but like all of us they too can cock up...... Speak for yourself jaba.....some of us are........ purrfect. :ouch:

remoak
18th Oct 2010, 08:43
I would rather take to my butt with a cheese grater!

A moment of silence, please, for the cheese grater... ;)

On the mods... pretty good, really. A thankless task that will always attract criticism. The trick is to not take any of this too seriously. Those that want to pack up their toys and leave are normally back under a different user name within days anyway. In any case, life's too short to get bent out of shape over an internet forum...

If you can't post with a smile on your face... don't bother!

Diesel Fitter
18th Oct 2010, 09:30
What Tids said!:ok::ok:

Interestingly, the level of Mod intervention in D&G forums is significantly less than many other PPRuNe forums,

There is absolutely no question about that Mr tail wheel. And it is not only the level - it is IMHO also applied in a fair and even handed manner.

a credit to the capacity of the majority of our Dunnunda forum users to hold robust and professional debate.

I'd credit it more to the formula of Dunnunda mods monitoring predominantly Dunnunda users.

The Dunnunda mods at least operate with the benefit of some understanding of the subtleties of Dunnunda conditions, environment, economy, politics and standards of acceptable debate.

Sadly this understanding, fairness and lack of bias is all too obviously in short supply in "another place" (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/) where colonial politics are occasionally permitted to be debated at the personal whim of certain mod/modesses.

An appalling situation which leaves those Ppruners who wish to debate this week's important parliamentary discussions on Afghanistan effectively disenfranchised.

Obviously such discussions would be better managed here.

I would say the moderators do wonderful job – fair, balanced, reasonable and sometimes even funny. And this applies to all the previous moderators as well – many thanks for your time and effort in keeping PPrune up and running.

All in D&G perhaps Pedota - that is demonstrably not true across the board.

Angle of Attack
18th Oct 2010, 09:38
I would rather take to my butt with a cheese grater!

Funny you should say that, there are Cheese graters, and there are Cheese Graters! I think you are thinking of the fine manual graters we are used to but I just went to an industry food show and saw a 5kg block of cheese reduced to powder in around 15 seconds. Trust me you your behind would not realise it had been hit until your front was mashed! That machine was nasty!

Back to topic these days especially on genuine factual threads basically everyone gets shot down even if they are wrong or right! Thats why the old times of pprune have gone. But as a previous poster stated, its not about pilots it is a whole new generation that relates differently these days, but hey, my skin is not thick it is Kevlar with armor steel plates, so I guess I'll hang around! I have got lots of PM's with less than amorous intonations, but hey got to stir the pot, its almost the only fun here these days!

:ok:

remoak
18th Oct 2010, 10:11
but hey got to stir the pot, its almost the only fun here these days!

Amen!

PPRuNe's best days are behind it, sadly, but there is still fun to be had for those with the wit to understand how... ;):D

The sad part is, that back in the early 90's I came here for really good discussions and some great intel. Now, I just come for entertainment. Still, for all it's faults it beats most of what is on TV. Plus, you get to wind up poor deluded Ozmates who seem to have a thing about cheese graters being applied to their rear ends... kinky... :D:ok:

The Green Goblin
18th Oct 2010, 10:33
Don't worry remoak my old friend, we get to insinuate the lack of the english hygiene and poor sporting ability, particularly when applied to cricket :p

Jabawocky
18th Oct 2010, 11:42
Sadly this understanding, fairness and lack of bias is all too obviously in short supply in "another place" (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/) where colonial politics are occasionally permitted to be debated at the personal whim of certain mod/modesses.

Say that again..... the banned list out of there is quite like an "A-List" of the who's who of pprune ;)......and they know who they are :}.

you get to wind up poor deluded Ozmates who seem to have a thing about cheese graters being applied to their rear ends... kinky... :Dhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

hey..... at least thats more manly than taking on those poor defenceless sheep :=

J:E

my oleo is extended
18th Oct 2010, 11:59
Back to the initial post,

Mod...lets give codename deepthroat is part of an organisation lets call it S.

I like the codename ! The only thing better than a vintage aircraft is vintage porn !!
How about codenames such as 'Behind The Green Door' and 'Debbie Does Dallas' as well please .

remoak
18th Oct 2010, 12:41
Well GG, I wouldn't be saying too much about your current cricket team, who don't seem to be able to win anything... I seem to recall we thrashed them, and (even worse) the poms did too...

And Jaba... better a nice comfy ewe than cold steel...

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Random/cheese_grater_slide.jpg

mister hilter
18th Oct 2010, 15:31
Oleo, you may wish to look into American political history as well as its porn industry. Particularly the Nixon presidency and his failure to see out his second term.

Davebfree
18th Oct 2010, 15:40
Hi

I am having problems on who to post to so hopefully you may be able to point me in the right direction. I have just registered so any help would be appreciated

Who do I post to for info on Indulgence Flights...Thanks

tail wheel
18th Oct 2010, 19:47
Indulgence Flights (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/373218-indulgence-flights-anyone.html).

Looks to be a British military thing? :confused::confused:

Can't help you here in an Aussie forum.

remoak
18th Oct 2010, 22:23
Can't help you here in an Aussie forum.

See, that's the problem, right there.

It's NOT an Aussie forum... you'd think the mods would know that... :mad::ugh::rolleyes:

The Green Goblin
18th Oct 2010, 23:55
It is an aussie forum Remoak, we just have to have the Kiwis and Pacific crew as guests as they have no where else to go (and a lot of Aussies fly in the places)

Jabawocky
19th Oct 2010, 00:17
Now there is a Pole for TW, Tids and MA to have some fun with....... A should we ban all the Kiwi's pole :}

J:ok::E

remoak
19th Oct 2010, 00:25
See what flying retard vehicles does to you...???? :rolleyes::D

I think the word you are looking for is "poll", Jaba me old fruit... :D:ok:

See, this is what you get when you give a penal colony internet access... one day, when we have exported enough Kiwis to the West Island, the Aussie IQ might rise far enough to be able to cope with primary school spelling... :ok::}

Peter Fanelli
19th Oct 2010, 00:28
It is an aussie forum Remoak, we just have to have the Kiwis and Pacific crew as guests as they have no where else to go (and a lot of Aussies fly in the places)

I don't think that's really a correct statement.
To be closer to the truth you'd have to say that no one else will have them, that's why we're stuck with them.

:E

Stikybeke
19th Oct 2010, 00:35
...and speaking of the cricket,

Apparently england beat pakistan by 4 wickets next thursday....

Stiky
;)

tail wheel
19th Oct 2010, 01:02
It is an Aussie Forum. It is also a Kiwi Forum. And I instigated inclusion of the Pacific region some months ago.

slamer.
19th Oct 2010, 02:16
I thought the whole world knew

Dunnunda = OZ (sounds a bit like underdone or maybe..... underarm:E)

Godzone = NZ

slamer.
19th Oct 2010, 02:29
Or.... Dunnunda-arm

remoak
19th Oct 2010, 03:40
So why not just call it an Oceania forum and stop confusing the sh@t out of everyone... :ok::}

To be closer to the truth you'd have to say that no one else will have them, that's why we're stuck with them.

Even closer to the truth would be that only the Kiwis can raise the tone sufficiently to keep the forum open at all... :D:D:D

airsupport
19th Oct 2010, 04:57
It is an Aussie Forum. It is also a Kiwi Forum. And I instigated inclusion of the Pacific region some months ago.

Maybe you should also instigate a D,G+P Jet Blast Forum. ;)

Flying Binghi
19th Oct 2010, 05:07
Maybe you should also instigate a D,G+P Jet Blast Forum

i second that..:ok:

remoak
19th Oct 2010, 06:12
Nah, wouldn't be any fun if it was Jet Blast :}

airsupport
19th Oct 2010, 06:29
Nah, wouldn't be any fun if it was Jet Blast

You could have as much ''fun'' as you liked on the D,G+P Jet Blast Forum, and leave the other 2 (Current) D,G +P Forums for serious topics. :ok:

Should make Life easier for the Mods too.......... :ok:

blackhand
19th Oct 2010, 22:57
Have to agree about the moderator(s) on j*t bl*st are a bit strange.
Got myself what looks like a permanent ban for arguing with some pillow biters about their practices.
And same as mentioned already, Tids deleted posts that identified me and my employer.:ok:

remoak
20th Oct 2010, 03:14
You could have as much ''fun'' as you liked on the D,G+P Jet Blast Forum, and leave the other 2 (Current) D,G +P Forums for serious topics.

Serious topics? Really? :D:}:}

Howard Hughes
20th Oct 2010, 05:07
Definately Not!:rolleyes:

But some spelling lessons might be in order...;)

airsupport
20th Oct 2010, 05:21
Politicians everywhere would be proud of the poll on this thread. :rolleyes:

Talk about rigged. :=

tail wheel
20th Oct 2010, 06:56
I hope you're not suggesting the Mods are manipulating the Poll results??

We'd never do that!

:E :E

Jabawocky
20th Oct 2010, 07:04
who removed the ban jaba selection?

did i get too many votes :}

J:8 from FL100 DUBBO

airsupport
20th Oct 2010, 07:06
I hope you're not suggesting the Mods are manipulating the Poll results??

Of course NOT, I would NEVER say that. :rolleyes:

Well NOT in writing anyway. :E

airsupport
20th Oct 2010, 07:10
who removed the ban jaba selection?

That is in the other poll. ;)

Plazbot
20th Oct 2010, 11:09
Fark me, if you haven't been banned and had legal threats you just are not trying hard enough. The grand slam however is if someone challenges you to real world fisticuffs.

Tick, tick and tick.

Gas Bags
20th Oct 2010, 11:35
having a second Jetblast forum on PPRUNE would more than likely prove a little confusing for our Kiwi cousins....

Jabawocky
20th Oct 2010, 11:58
My Mistake.......... Not as good as the Dr at inflight ppruning :sad:

Stikybeke
20th Oct 2010, 22:54
I think I'm starting to lose it again....

I swear I just saw a post from Guptar threatening to really leave this time and I went to another page. When I came back it was gone. Was it really there in the first place or do I have to give up drinking with Johnny Walker and his brothers black and red again???

Stiky
:eek:

Jabawocky
20th Oct 2010, 23:19
I just voted with sarcasim.

I note everyone else has too :}

Peter Fanelli
21st Oct 2010, 00:25
526 kiss asses here in this forum, who knew?

tail wheel
21st Oct 2010, 03:10
Only 526? :E

airsupport
21st Oct 2010, 03:53
Only 526?

tail wheel,

I don't know how you have the time to vote 500 times. ;)

remoak
22nd Oct 2010, 04:21
Nah I don't believe those results for a minute. Somebody's cheating... :p

Oh yeah... Aussies... of course. Bunch of under-armers!:D:D:D

tail wheel
22nd Oct 2010, 04:43
I believe in democracy remoak - so I added another Poll question just for you!

:} :} :} :} :}

airsupport
22nd Oct 2010, 04:51
I had not voted in this poll yet, so I quickly went to vote so as I could be the first to vote with the new choice. ;)

I was surprised to see that there was already some 6790 votes. :E

remoak
22nd Oct 2010, 06:11
Taily, if you really believed in democracy, there would be another option: "only tricycle-equipped moderators should be allowed"... :D:D:D:}:}:}

Jabawocky
22nd Oct 2010, 12:15
I was surprised to see that there was already some 6790 votes. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

The bloody sheep have iPads :eek: Bahhhhhhhaaaa

tail wheel
22nd Oct 2010, 20:49
Do Ozmates really think they're the centre of the aviation universe?

'Ello, 'ello. Someone has been adding to my Poll? :confused:

airsupport
22nd Oct 2010, 21:07
Quote:
Do Ozmates really think they're the centre of the aviation universe?

'Ello, 'ello. Someone has been adding to my Poll?

Obviously some jealous person from some far distant land. :rolleyes:

IF it was an Aussie, it would read ''Do Ozmates KNOW they're the centre of the aviation universe?'' :ok:

empacher48
23rd Oct 2010, 04:50
IF it was an Aussie, it would read ''Do Ozmates KNOW they're the centre of the aviation universe?''

I thought if it was an Aussie, then nothing would've happened until a kiwi or South African turned up to do the hard work...

SgtBundy
23rd Oct 2010, 07:56
I thought if it was an Aussie, then nothing would've happened until a kiwi or South African turned up to do the hard work...

What part of claiming the dole while sitting on Bondi beach is hard work?

empacher48
23rd Oct 2010, 08:09

The ones around Bondi are the 2nd generation, they are too dumb to come back to NZ, but too smart to claim aussie citizenship...

conflict alert
23rd Oct 2010, 09:54
I've said less on much more important subjects ACTUALLY pertaining to a Pilots Professional Forum and had those opinions removed...this is pathetic...lock it up and move along.

The Green Goblin
23rd Oct 2010, 10:49
I've said less on much more important subjects ACTUALLY pertaining to a Pilots Professional Forum and had those opinions removed...this is pathetic...lock it up and move along.

I bet you wear your bars to bed too :}

Quote:
IF it was an Aussie, it would read ''Do Ozmates KNOW they're the centre of the aviation universe?''

Why break a sweat when you can get the lower class to do it for you?

Besides if you can find a Kiwi who works and a South African who needs too (they always have short arms and deep pockets) then take a photo!

Quote:
The ones around Bondi are the 2nd generation, they are too dumb to come back to NZ, but too smart to claim aussie citizenship...

Nah, they're just not silly enough to get on a jet flown by Kiwis across the ditch (Not too many other options these days) and are waiting for a good day to swim :ok:

airsupport
23rd Oct 2010, 20:37

Are there any other threads you would like locked just because you don't like them? :rolleyes:

airsupport
25th Oct 2010, 04:31
I have NOT posted on this thread for more than 24 hours, yet it keeps saying I posted today, and showing as a new post at least 3 times today??? :confused::rolleyes::ugh:

Jabawocky
25th Oct 2010, 05:22
Ditto

I think someone is messing with your mind........ :}

airsupport
25th Oct 2010, 05:28
I think someone is messing with your mind........

Well I wish they would stop it. :mad:

I need all I have left at my age. ;) :eek:

PPRuNe Towers
25th Oct 2010, 06:29
You hang on to what's left of the grey matter AS,

You aren't subject to any intentional mind games - it's a long running, very long running, tech problem we have with date stamps and, we think, PPRuNe being spread across multiple servers. That's about as much as we do know and it's gone on for years.

One of the most vociferous complainants behind the scenes is your own Taillie and the system appears to have picked on him for special treatment in the last few days. Essentially the time stamps and recent posts data appears to have a life of it's own and your mod is presently under the finest sedation Australia's vintners can offer.

About this time I'd offer the usual promise that normal service will be resumed as soon as possible - but that would be a lie. Techs are baffled and have got this filed away in the far too difficult drawer. We're having a good flare up with this problem so I'll lift the tarpaulin around the back of the privvy and give the somnambulent tech gods a good poke with the stick again.

Rob

airsupport
25th Oct 2010, 06:46
You hang on to what's left of the grey matter AS,

You aren't subject to any intentional mind games - it's a long running, very long running, tech problem we have with date stamps and, we think, PPRuNe being spread across multiple servers. That's about as much as we do know and it's gone on for years.

One of the most vociferous complainants behind the scenes is your own Taillie and the system appears to have picked on him for special treatment in the last few days. Essentially the time stamps and recent posts data appears to have a life of it's own and your mod is presently under the finest sedation Australia's vintners can offer.

About this time I'd offer the usual promise that normal service will be resumed as soon as possible - but that would be a lie. Techs are baffled and have got this filed away in the far too difficult drawer. We're having a good flare up with this problem so I'll lift the tarpaulin around the back of the privvy and give the somnambulent tech gods a good poke with the stick again.

Rob

Thank you Rob, I certainly NEED to hang on to what I have left. :uhoh:

So it is tail wheel causing all the trouble, stirring the Yanks. ;)

I can see where the times may not line up sometimes, on one post I looked up the other night the time would have been correct IF you were where the new owners of the site are in California.

However this business where the time logged for a post in the list of threads goes forward, not once but several times and makes it appear in the list of threads as a NEW post, but the time ON the actual thread does NOT change, is way beyond me. :ugh:

Best regards,

David.

tail wheel
25th Oct 2010, 09:01
I am shutting down the Polls in Dunnunda Forum as there is some indication the Polls are related to our time/date stamp problem.

If you are interested in the Poll results and incase we lose the results when I close the Poll:

No. Votes 24. 0.13%
Definitely Not! (Spelling corrected. Thanks Howard...). Votes 19. 0.10%
The Mods are kind, gentle, understanding and do a great job! Votes 11,541. 62.71%
Should Kiwis have their own forum - on another web site? Votes 6803. 36.96%
Do Ozmates really think they're the centre of the aviation universe? Votes 17. 0.09%

You'd almost think someone was manipulating the results! :}

airsupport
25th Oct 2010, 09:43
Could be. :confused:

However I just noticed, if you look at the times of the last two posts ON this thread, they are now way out. :eek:

Both of our recent replies/posts are timed way before the one from PPRuNe Towers. :ugh:

The times ON the threads were okay before, it was ONLY the times on the list of threads. :confused:

airsupport
25th Oct 2010, 09:48
Okay, how weird is this now. :ugh:

That post I just made shows I posted it some 17 hours ago, Californian time. :eek:

YET while composing this under ''topic review'' it has the correct local time.

Can someone PLEASE EXPLAIN that? :{

airsupport
25th Oct 2010, 10:05
Excuse me posting again, however someone just posted to the other thread that has (had) a poll, so I checked it. :rolleyes:

His (her) post also has the wrong time on it, so I checked all the threads with recent posts, and guess what, the 2 with polls are the only ones with the wrong times.

So it IS something to do with the polls, but what is still wrong? :confused:

j3pipercub
25th Oct 2010, 10:08
It's displaying fine for me...are you sure you're not losing your mind airsupport?:}

nah only kidding

airsupport
25th Oct 2010, 10:23
I am starting to think I am, yes................. ;)

Senior Pilot
25th Oct 2010, 10:47
AS,

The issue of the Time Stamp is as I explained on the other thread that you made: when a thread becomes corrupted, it sets onto USA East Coast time, and will remain so because the back room gurus don't know how to fix the problem (and an upgrade is on the cards which is More Important).

The poll time warp is a different issue: it is set such that whenever a vote is cast on a poll, the thread jumps to the vote time on the Forum home page, thus adjusting (falsely) the time of the latest post. On opening the thread, of course, the time on the latest post is shown correctly, which may be hours and hours before the time on the Forum page :ooh:

Confused? Just imagine what it's like for us dealing with all the threads and post, then trying to discuss it over on the mod's forum with the likes of tailly, who has enough on his plate wondering which century he's in ..... :p

airsupport
25th Oct 2010, 11:02
Yes, I understand that, well most of it, I said in a PM to tail wheel yesterday that I worked out the times were relating to IB HQ in California, however now since tail wheel locked the polls it has changed again.

Could you or tail wheel actually delete the polls completely, but leave the threads open though?

Would be intersted to see if this fixed everything, think it may.

Senior Pilot
25th Oct 2010, 11:34
Yes, I understand that, well most of it, I said in a PM to tail wheel yesterday that I worked out the times were relating to IB HQ in California, however now since tail wheel locked the polls it has changed again.

Could you or tail wheel actually delete the polls completely, but leave the threads open though?

Would be intersted to see if this fixed everything, think it may.

Murphy was an optimist!

First, the poll can't be deleted, only closed: that has 'fixed' the Forum home page issue since there are no fresh votes to artificially change the latest post time.

Second, the thread time was OK until PPRuNe Towers posted and sent the time back to California: then it came good with airsupport's post, then I posted and it went back to the East Coast :ugh: Quite frankly it is all just Too Hard: roll on the VB4 upgrade and a (possible) return to sanity. Except that we'll be dealing with all the whinges about the colours, the thread layouts, the Reply To buttons, and on, and on.........:p

Jabawocky
25th Oct 2010, 11:42
One of the most vociferous complainants behind the scenes is your own Taillie and the system appears to have picked on him for special treatment in the last few days

hehehehehe...........he is special :E

With a bit of a mind flip
You're there in the time slip
And nothing can ever be the same
You're spaced out on sensation, like you're under sedation
Let's do the Time Warp again!

J:ok:

Worrals in the wilds
25th Oct 2010, 12:42
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. - Albert Einstein

All for doing the Time Warp Jabba, still got a pretty good Magenta costume somewhere in storage :}...

airsupport
25th Oct 2010, 18:57
the poll can't be deleted, only closed

Okay, thank you. :ok:

I just thought IF you could have deleted the two polls altogether it would have proved it one way or the other. :ugh:

Never mind I will just ignore the times. ;)

Danny2
26th Oct 2010, 06:15
As stated elsewhere, there is no "date/timestamp" problem in this forum:

Time to untwist your knickers ladies! The reason you see a different 'last post' time stamp on the thread list when compared to the last post in the thread is because there is a poll in the threads you are fretting about.

If a thread has a poll attached then every time someone votes in the poll the thread 'last post' time is updated. If this didn't happen and no one actually made a new post to the thread with the poll then that thread would slip down the list until it wasn't on the first page as other threads were updated with new posts.

It's not rocket science and nothing is broken. Just one of the ways threads with polls stay 'active' if there is a lot of voting but no new posts.

Pinky the pilot
27th Oct 2010, 04:47
still got a pretty good Magenta costume somewhere in storage

Do tell, Worrals! Would I like to see you in that?:D:E

I'm a bad boy,I am!:=

But seriously folks, re the Mods impartiality; Seems to me that whenever such is called into question, about half the posters are 'afore em and half agin em.'

To me that means that they are probably getting it about right.:ok: