PDA

View Full Version : Wheels up landing - feather or not???

2211race
16th Oct 2010, 12:59
OK, so if we are all going to do this one day - land with gear up!
What about feathering?
Lets start with a piston engine non-turbo twin
Do we feather or not?
And why?

psycho joe
16th Oct 2010, 13:10
Select gear down instead. It's cheaper and requires less power to get to the terminal.

The Green Goblin
16th Oct 2010, 13:29
Whatever is required at the time in respect to runway surface, weather conditions including wind, services on standby, ATC, aircraft weight.

YPJT
16th Oct 2010, 13:37
From what I remember of previous posts on this question, you are better off flying the thing all the way to the ground. Feathering, particularly at the wrong time or altitude could well turn what would be a stable approach into a messy descent well short of your preferred landing point.

Another consideration is that deliberately feathering will turn the blades onto an axis that will not bend so easily, perhaps digging in one or both sides and turning your asphalt bobsled ride into an undignified flip.

Finally, as far as I am concerned, once the gear failure was confirmed to be more than just a blown down and locked indicator light, the aircraft belongs to the insurance company so don't get too excited about trying to limit engine damage. Flying the emergency to minimise the risk of injury to yourself and pax far outweighs trying to save on some repair bills.

thrustpig
16th Oct 2010, 14:17
How about contacting "Myth Busters". Let them run a few time-xed cheiftains down their abandoned cisco runway and wait for the verdict?? Or better still just call international rescue. Im sure i remember Thunderbird II has a pod which has the special aircraft supporting motorised units which take the place of the gear. If you have the skill, a runway long enough and a great sense of humour? No dramas.

Peter Fanelli
16th Oct 2010, 18:55
Do not feather under any circumstances.
Doesn't matter what kind of engine is installed.

Much Ado
16th Oct 2010, 19:07
Answered:hmm: