PDA

View Full Version : Concorde G-BOAB

Airclues
14th Oct 2010, 22:21
Apparently BA are hoping to find a permanent home for G-BOAB next to the London Eye. I will try to find out more details.

Dave

Planemike
14th Oct 2010, 22:46
An artists impression showing Concorde on a pontoon on the Thames appeared in yesterday's Metro newspaper.

Planemike

Albert Driver
15th Oct 2010, 07:15
Here's the dilemma:

If it is covered it will be less of an attraction;
If it is left uncovered it will not be a Concorde long.

I don't know which it will be but BA has a pretty poor record when it comes to their involvement in historic aircraft preservation.

JEM60
15th Oct 2010, 07:26
I think this suggestion was described on Pprune at least 6 months ago? I do hope they get it sorted, 'cos it's the one I flew in.

Skipness One Echo
15th Oct 2010, 08:28
If it is left uncovered it will not be a Concorde long.

It depends on how well you look after it. Manchester's is covered but to all intents and purposes is now invisible to Joe Public. A 20th Century icon with the words "British Airways" next to a world heritage site on a sunny day with a load of tourists is priceless.

Best example I can think of in the UK would be G-ASGB at Duxford, still looking good after thirty years outside. I would expect G-BOAB to have even more TLC.

Airclues
15th Oct 2010, 09:02
JEM60

Apologies if it's been done before. If I can find it I'll delete this thread.

I only found out about it last night from a retired BA Concorde captain who is involved in the project.

Dave

Rocket2
15th Oct 2010, 12:29
"If it is left uncovered it will not be a Concorde long"

Not so - I was on G-BOAD just last week & that is parked in the open on a warf beside the USS Intrepid on the Hudson River at New York & hell it was hot & humid while I was there! All said she looked in pretty good shape to me, well done all at the museum. :ok:
R2

Airclues
15th Oct 2010, 12:53
Just found this;

Club Concorde - Concorde For London (http://www.clubconcorde.co.uk/concorde_for_london.php)

Dave

JEM60
15th Oct 2010, 15:29
Airclues.
Thanks for the link. Interesting. I was'nt being critical of your first post. Twas merely a remark. No need to delete. Cheers.:)

aviate1138
16th Oct 2010, 06:10
Could Concorde be put on a motorized pontoon and moved around the Thames, say some time moored by the London Eye and then parked alongside the London City Airport runway.

Make a few SLFs wake up as they taxi in/out.

Tourist boats could moor up where ever it is and their passengers make a paying visit.

Also O2 Concerts etc. :)

Albert Driver
16th Oct 2010, 08:18
..she looked in pretty good shape to me...

It's what you can't see that's the problem.
How many large static aircraft have we lost to corrosion in recent years?
Concorde wouldn't last another twenty years - and that just isn't good enough.

olympus
18th Oct 2010, 12:48
Pleased to hear G-BOAD is still surviving in good order; that's the one I flew in (BAH-LHR 1976 I think, when one half was in Singapore Airlines colours).

Shame it's in New York.

gordonroxburgh
18th Oct 2010, 23:16
Could Concorde be put on a motorized pontoon and moved around the Thames, say some time moored by the London Eye and then parked alongside the London City Airport runway.

Last time I looked there were quite a few bridges between the Isle of Docks and Westminster

Mach2-Speedbird
16th Sep 2011, 23:51
This is not a done deal and more realistic plans are on another group's site called Save Concorde Group!