PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus refund

SpringHeeledJack
14th Oct 2010, 09:24
A short haul return booked, not business class for 2 persons and now due to unexpected ill-health I am unable to fly. The other passenger is a minor. Do i have any rights for a full refund with doctors certificate (hospital) ? The terms and conditions on their website seem to point towards no, although nothing is mentioned about incapacitation to fly. Any help appreciated.

SHJ

Hartington
14th Oct 2010, 16:40
Fares usually come in one of three forms - fully refundable, refundable after payment of a fee and totally non-refundable. You need to determine which of those three covers the fare on the ticket you purchased.

Even if the fare is non refundable the taxes/fees/charges associated with the ticket (generally those levied by the airport or government) are theoretically refundable. However, many airlines charge an administration fee which can exceed the refund value (gotcha!).

Of course, if you have insurance you need to consider what condtions that covers. Based on your brief description I would certainly think it worthwhile pursuing a claim on your policy (you did buy travel insurance, didn't you?).

A request (rather than a demand) to the airline may produce a result but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Capetonian
14th Oct 2010, 16:51
Just to add to what Hartington posted, if you paid a full economy fare then it should be refundable, if you booked the cheapest available, it won't be. If it's something between those two extremes, it might be! The terms on the website are probably only a summary of the full fare rule, which may allow a refund under specific circumstances such as yours.

Good luck.

Diver_Dave
14th Oct 2010, 16:58
May sound stupid but.....

I actually phoned Air Malta 3 days before I was due to fly, from
a hospital bed as I'd developed a nasty infection where my
appendix had been removed.

Couldn't have been more helpful, especially as on a non-refundable fare.

Refunded taxes immediately with no admin fee, and asked where I'd like
the letter sent detailing the cancellation and the reason I'd given to pass
onto the insurance company.

Regards

DaveA

SpringHeeledJack
15th Oct 2010, 15:16
Thanks for the replies chaps, yes i do have insurance, and yes the fares were not too expensive, albeit unrefundable. However, the point that i was trying to find some info about was about being medically unable/unfit to fly and if in this rare situation would there be grounds for a refund without various restrictions. I cannot fly and the minor cannot fly unaccompanied.

If anyone on the inside has any information to share i'd be most obliged.

SHJ