PDA

View Full Version : From PPL to CPL: Transfer State of Licence Issue required?

take_0ff
13th Oct 2010, 22:31
Hi

I asked something similar in another thread, but didn’t get any answers. That’s why I try it again in this forum (where it belongs).

The LASORS say that if you want to transfer the state of licence issue to the UK, you basically have to live there.

I’m holding a Swiss JAA-PPL and would like to take the ATPL theoretical exams and subsequently the CPL skill test in the UK.

The UK would then be the state of commercial pilot licence issue, while Switzerland was the state of private pilot licence issue.
Is the CPL considered to be a new licence or do I have to transfer the state of licence issue from Switzerland to the UK?

In case that I have to transfer the state of licence issue:

I don’t have any intentions to move to and work in the UK. Does it mean that I can’t get a UK-JAA-CPL and I can’t do the above mentioned things?

Is there a way to get a UK-JAA-CPL without moving to the UK? Or is it enough, if I live in the UK for a limited time (e.g. during the flight training)?

What if I want to do the JAA-CPL in the US? Would that be possible?

I’m sure, there are many pilots outside the UK with UK-JAA-licenses. How do they handle this issue?

Thanks for your help

take_0ff

BillieBob
13th Oct 2010, 23:43
The issue of your PPL established Switzerland as your state of licence issue. According to JAR-FCL, any further JAA licences must, therefore, be issued by FOCA unless you change your state of licence issue, which you cannot do unless you meet the residency requirements.

However, the application of the JAA requirements by individual states is, to say the least, inconsistent (the UK CAA being probably the most inconsistent) and you may find that a workaround is possible. The only way to discover whether such a thing is possible is to contact the relevant licensing authorities (FOCA and the UK CAA in this case). You will not be able to obtain a reliable answer on this forum, although you will probably get a lot of hearsay and uninformed personal opinion.

mattpilot
14th Oct 2010, 08:08
I guess i am a bit naive on this subject, but why does it matter where the license was issued? Isn't the important thing that it is JAA? Am i overlooking some restrictions or something?

I'm looking to do my conversion in switzerland, thou i live in germany. Is there something i'm not considering? :hmm:

PA28Viking
14th Oct 2010, 09:23
Switzerland is your country of issue because they issued your PPL.

But don’t confuse the rules for transferring a license and issuing a new license. Any ICAO PPL (+ the other requirements) is sufficient for CPL training and subsequent issue of the JAA license by the UK CAA. After they have issued your new license the UK will be your new country of issue. You do not have to be a resident in the UK.

Ones you return to Switzerland – because of your residency – you have the right to change your country of issue, which will the terminate your PPL (you don’t need it anymore).

Or you can’t just hand the PPL back to the Swiss authorities and keep the UK as the country of issue.

I personally did my ATPL, CPL and ME/IR training in the UK on my Danish PPL, got a UK CPL license from CAA (they express mailed it to my Danish address) and then handed in my PPL to the Danish authorities.

In fact I tried to transfer my PPL from Denmark to the UK, but was told by the CAA that it was unnecessary.

The Viking

take_0ff
15th Oct 2010, 16:32
@mattpilot
The thing is, that I have a Swiss PPL and I would like to do the CPL in the UK. According to LASORS, you have to be a normal resident in the UK (i.e. you have to live there) if you want to transfer the state of licence issue to the UK. I am not sure, whether I have to transfer the state of licence issue to the UK and whether I have to meet that requirement.

@BillieBob
You are right. Writing to the FOCA and CAA is probably the best way to get the information. (Letters are already drafted ;) )

@PA28Viking
Thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds very promising! :D

Thank you all

take_0ff