PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Neuroma

Hankers
12th Oct 2010, 19:19
Had an Acoustic Neuroma (classed as a brain tumour) discovered by chance recently after an MRI scan. At the moment no symptoms so considering Gama Knife surgery. Abit aprehensive, still young ish and wondering if anyone has been down this road before, particularly interested in the CAA's point of view.

Thanks

gingernut
12th Oct 2010, 20:12
No personal or professional experience but some good stuff here...

acoustic neuroma - General Practice Notebook (http://gpnotebook.com/simplepage.cfm?ID=1570373632)

Rory Dixon
13th Oct 2010, 16:52
Hankers,
that's not an easy one. What type of therapy is the right one really depends on your individual findings, especially tumor size and whether you already have any effects on the acoustic nerve.
I do not have any direct experience with the effect of the type of treatment on the medical, but would focus on short and long term effects on the nerves in that region.
If the tumor is small, skilled microsurgery (with intraoperative monitoring of nerve function) might achieve long term cure with no further effects on hearing ability, but with the risk of nerve injury in a small percentage. The larger the tumor, the higher this risk.
Stereoscopic radiosurgery will not remove the tumor, but control growth. I have no idea, wheather this is enough for an AME. Progressive neurologic disorders exclude a medical, therefore this is certainly a point worth considering.
If radiosurgery is the way to go, I personally would prefer micro-multileaf-linear-accelerator-therapy over the Gamma-knife, as dose distribution can be achieved in a more complex way. There are a couple people in Europe, who are pretty good with this.
Best luck
Rory

homonculus
14th Oct 2010, 12:01
Multi arc and cyberknife are also to be considered RD, but lets not confuse the public with this.

Bottom line is that this is a normally slow growning benign tumour - it doesnt jump off to your lungs. Treatment is surgery and or radiotherapy. Get good advice from someone who treats a lot and then a second opinion. Take your time to make a decision.

Pin me and I will happily give you some reliable names

BW

obgraham
15th Oct 2010, 18:15
Agree with Homonculus. Over here where dollars can buy you anything, acoustic neuroma is best handled at one of, perhaps, half a dozen major centers which specialize in it. A neurosurgeon with patient's best interest will send them there. I expect it's the same in UK and rest of Europe.

Hankers
17th Oct 2010, 16:09
Thanks for the replies,

As it's only 1 cm at the moment the CAA have issued an OML which doesn't really effect me as i only fly the G5. I do however need to look at treatments and the outlook maybe brighter than i thought. The doc at the CAA was so very nice and helpful, it was great to talk to him. I am lead to believe other class one holders have had the Gama Knife radiosurgery and returned to flying after a couple of months so that's good news as well. Not too keen having someone cutting my head open, need to keep hold of all the sawdust i can!!

Thanks again guys

vic1
23rd Apr 2019, 13:44
Thanks for the replies,

As it's only 1 cm at the moment the CAA have issued an OML which doesn't really effect me as i only fly the G5. I do however need to look at treatments and the outlook maybe brighter than i thought. The doc at the CAA was so very nice and helpful, it was great to talk to him. I am lead to believe other class one holders have had the Gama Knife radiosurgery and returned to flying after a couple of months so that's good news as well. Not too keen having someone cutting my head open, need to keep hold of all the sawdust i can!!

Thanks again guys
Hi Hankers,
Its 2019.
I found this post of yours on a search in prune and I have been diagnosed with AN in a reparations MRI and I’m staring at whether to go in for the Gamma knife or convince the docs for a wait and watch (Open head surgery totally out of the question personally) Any insight into your case would help immensely.
Thanks,
Vic