PDA

View Full Version : Why me?

Daniel DeBourg
12th Oct 2010, 16:53
I hope some of you can see where I'm coming from with this and I'm not seen as whining for the sake of it so here's the scenario...

I'm on det somewhere hot and dusty and my new posting comes through on JPA wef as soon as I get back to the UK. "Great," I think, as I call the admin staff at my new unit to introduce myself. The phone call goes like this:

"Sorry to tell you this whilst you're still away but you'll be going there again for a further three months in Feb 11."

Okay, I can cope with that, going away is a large part of my job. Mobile is exactly that, I've done my fair share of going away recently (two 3 monthers in 18 months) but another det won't be so bad, bringing me up to 300+ days in exactly two years.

"In the meantime, as soon as you return from your current det to you going on your next, you're fully booked with training and courses."

Again, not so bad, they're obviously quite organised and have planned me in, I'm pleased so far and they're happy with my enthusiasm. Then BANG, I log into JPA and find myself on a course in the middle of my PODL, not good especially when I booked my holiday and informed work about it five months ago!

Another phone call;

"We can sympathise but there's nothing we can do, the courses are hard to get onto as it is."

Right, they're happy to send me away again within 4 months whilst I put my life on hold in the run up to it, but they're not happy to arrange things so the little downtime I have is unaffected as soon as I return. Courses are run once a month, its a few months before the course actually starts so I'm thinking a swap would be quite straightforward?

JSP 760 is clear about PODL but surely, someone has got to realise that they can't take and not give anything back otherwise no one would stick around? My next phone call will need to be a diplomatic one, so does anyone else think I've got the justification to have my PODL unaffected seeing as it's my only time off since July and will be all the way through to my return in June next year?

Any feedback would be much appreciated as usual, I think the service has done well out of me so far, I really don't want to have to ruffle feathers before I've even got back to the UK, but I feel that something has got to give in this instance.

Pontius Navigator
12th Oct 2010, 18:11
DD, a quiet off-record call to the course team. Are they fully booked?

I have had that excuse before and when you ask a direct question you find that places have not been taken up, the reason for your PDQ turn round is because soomeone else bitched more etc etc.

One time I went quietly with 4 weeks notice as it would at least allow my predecessor to get home for Christmas. I was rather pee'd off when I foun dthey had only done 4 weeks and I was to do 6 months.

Red Line Entry
12th Oct 2010, 18:11
Call me a bluff old traditionalist ("you're a bluff...), but I suggest that your first port of call should be your command chain, rather than PPRuNe.

Clearly, if no joy after that, then JSPs give you the right to appeal to PPRuNe members for final arbitration...

racedo
12th Oct 2010, 18:21
Clearly, if no joy after that, then JSPs give you the right to appeal to PPRuNe members for final arbitration...

or at least some beers to make up for it.

ZH875
12th Oct 2010, 18:39
Am I the only one that thinks this is another single post windup merchant?

enginesuck
12th Oct 2010, 18:46
I thought this problem had been resolved after your thread over on e-goat.

Training Risky
12th Oct 2010, 18:53
Did you get travel cancellation insurance when you booked the holiday?

Also bear in mind that if people carry over more than 15 days leave/PODL on 31 March - Unit Cdrs get dropped in the dwang big time with their chain of command. so it id your bosses interest to make sure that all his peeps get their leave one way or another.

Cows getting bigger
12th Oct 2010, 18:53
Hey DD, for what it's worth, here's my take on things (left the Service about 3 years ago just as the whole Middle East det shenanigans was getting beyond a joke):

Firstly, you're not the only one getting the run-around; don't get paranoid.

Next, as someone else has said, try chatting through the chain of command. Despite all the stuff that gets posted here, the majority of line managers in the RAF are pretty understanding and, if there is a way, they will find it.

Also, another top tip already given is giving the course provider a call. Without knowing the specifics, this could be an easy 2 minute conversation or a non-starter.

Don't drip-on too much here. Some a'hole will undoubtedly take great delight in telling you that you are a w'anchor and that will make you feel 'real fine'.

Consider the future, the long-term future. i did and, despite enjoying my time (including my fair share of OOA), you may wish to think about where you want to be in 5 years time. My personal view is that the whole 'op-tempo' thing will never improve. The problem isn't the Service, or any particular part of it, the issue lies with Government and I don't see any easing in the pipeline (Gawd, I still speak 'staff officer' :) ).

Fire 'n' Forget
12th Oct 2010, 18:59
PEOPLE

WAKE UP, he is a troll using another X-Factor contestant as his user name !

BTW I dont watch X Factor lol :yuk:

Geehovah
12th Oct 2010, 19:02
I'll take this as genuine.

In my book PODL is sacrosanct. If your Boss doesn't fight this one he needs his bumps testing.
The more we we bleed during peacetime, the more anaemic we are in wartime. PODL is your recovery time.

JMHO

Herc-u-lease
12th Oct 2010, 19:03
and I'm expecting the next post to be from Simon Cowell, whining about some other triviality brought up on e-goat. Can we have one on fitness tests? perhaps one from Sharon Osborne on how some fat old knacker should be allowed to stay cos he's good at his job?:ugh:

Pontius Navigator
12th Oct 2010, 19:53
how some fat old knacker should be allowed to stay cos he's good at his job?:ugh:

This another light blue bashing? Couldn't be Army bashing could it?

hat, coat, dog, door

PPRuNe Pop
12th Oct 2010, 21:50
Another troll and banned.