PDA

View Full Version : Civil Servants treated better than Troops - Again!

Mick Strigg
11th Oct 2010, 08:26
Interesting that the new CS redundancy terms are better than those for those in uniform! The civvies is:

The new terms include a standard tariff of one month's pay per year of service, a limit of 12 months' pay for staff made compulsorily redundant, and a limit of 21 months' pay for staff who depart under voluntary terms.

Whereas those in uniform can only get a maximum of 9 months pay!

Is it time to get a union started?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
11th Oct 2010, 08:34
Is it time to get a union started? Yeh, why not; it can't f**k us any more than we are about to be.

Just a minor point, though, where is the authoritive revelation to this thunderflash in the tin hut? A Link?

charliegolf
11th Oct 2010, 08:46
Can't give a link, but I can say it's about right. Mrs Golf is a CS. Government changed the rules to a 'much worse' settlement some months back, CS unions went to law and won, gov threatened to change said law, gov and union negotiated the 12/21 deal.

It used to be 3 years max for vol redundancy.

CG

Whenurhappy
11th Oct 2010, 09:28
Try Defence Internal Brief 201075 'Negotiations on Civil Service Redundancy Scheme Completed' - just circulated

Biggus
11th Oct 2010, 12:33
I didn't think the CS redundancy terms had been confirmed yet.

The comments made in italics by the OP were the government offer, to which 5 out of 6 CS unions had agreed. Unfortunately, the one union which hasn't yet agreed is the biggest within the CS, with more members than the other 5 combined....

Here's a link for those who like some facts...

BBC News - Civil servants' redundancy offer revised (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11496520)

Mick Strigg
11th Oct 2010, 13:24
Biggus,

From the MOD Web site:

The Minister for the Cabinet Office, Francis Maude, has announced today, 7 October 2010, that the Government has concluded its negotiations on a new Civil Service Compensation Scheme.

Topsy Turvey
11th Oct 2010, 15:31
Mick S

The Govt may wish to impose but the PCS union have not agreed and are talking about going to Court to challenge the decision again. They challenged the last Govt's plans in the Courts and won. (Also called two pointless strikes when the legal challenge was always the best option)

The New Govt scheme is more restrictive than that Labour wanted to impose but this time the ConDems are talking about new legislation to push the change through.

TT

Tankertrashnav
11th Oct 2010, 15:45
Just for info when I came out on the voluntary redundancy scheme in Jan 1977 I'm pretty sure I received 15 months pay (I had 12 years commissioned service at the time). Just to amuse people, as a Flt Lt (GD) I was on around £6,000 pa, inc flying pay at the time, but bearing in mind house prices at the time, the sums involved were reasonably tempting.

Is there a current redundancy scheme within any of the armed forces?

Dengue_Dude
11th Oct 2010, 16:02
. . . err . . . Redundancy . . .

Does that mean they'll be recruiting next month then?

Arses and elbows seems to spring to mind.

As for CS getting a better deal than AF - are you REALLY surprised?

Coutts agency told us that the only group considered with AF when I left were ex-offenders. Nice to be lumped in with bloody criminals when all you've done is take and spend the Queen's Shilling.

Says it all really.

TorqueOfTheDevil
11th Oct 2010, 18:34
RA,

Nice try! Just drop it:=

Chris Kebab
11th Oct 2010, 19:03
..he's got a point though.

We'd be far better of comparing terms and conditions of other uniformed public services (police, etc) than civil servants.

Wensleydale
11th Oct 2010, 19:25
You will invariably find that in the technical trades, where service and civilian work next to each other and carry out the same jobs, the serviceman earns more basic salary. (CS relies upon ex-servicemen with pensions to bring their salary up to competitive rates). Therefore, although the CS redundancy rates seem more favourable, I would wager that the redundancy payments for CS and service are about the same.

Just a thought....:(

minigundiplomat
11th Oct 2010, 21:07
You will invariably find that in the technical trades, where service and civilian work next to each other and carry out the same jobs, the serviceman earns more basic salary. (CS relies upon ex-servicemen with pensions to bring their salary up to competitive rates).

Hmmm, what happens when those ex-servicemen aren't there? SAR is a similar example.