Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

gela1009
13th Mar 2011, 23:09
do they still let you do the math and iq test?:\
what are the questions like?

thank you!

Fingerzcrossed
14th Mar 2011, 09:41
Danedelion thanks a lot really ... so kind from you i will be more than thankful if you can post such final interview questions and answers

lilyjardine
14th Mar 2011, 23:39
hey
they asked me to sit the logic test just after my final interview. you have 40 minutes to complete it and its pretty much choosing which image comes after a sequence of images!

king_to_noh
15th Mar 2011, 13:17
Hi there, anybody who will be at the OD on the 26th here in DXB? Wondering if non-arabic speakers could join as well? I wen to the HQ the other day and the lady in the Information desk told me that it will public and not just for Arabic speaking applicants. Any guess how many will go and what to expect?

Need to wait 10 more days...I'm excited.:O

king_to_noh
15th Mar 2011, 13:20
Hi there, do you have Idea how the recruiters play the ball during assessment? And what are the FI questions?:)

latinos
15th Mar 2011, 13:23
Anyone could provide information about documentation I need for an Open Day and Final Interview? Many thanks.

Daisy Akinyi
15th Mar 2011, 17:29
Hey, if you go through the blogs and read keenly, youll get alot of info about the interviews that will help you alot and surely....you will fly high...only if you practice all that i may call good advice...otherwise...all the BEST

Teddy_86
15th Mar 2011, 19:15
For the open day you have to provide just CV in English and passport size photo.
For the FI they will give you a list of documents you have to bring, don't worry about that! Good luck!

I_Love_EK
16th Mar 2011, 07:03
Thanks for posting the pictures. They are what I was looking for. You're a gem!

nexia
17th Mar 2011, 10:36
I got my accommodation today it is going to be Obaidullah Building 6, Al Quasis. How is it to live there? What should I expect? :O

ellie22
17th Mar 2011, 11:54
I have the same accom' as nexia, I've searched the forum and read some not great things but Im interested to know does it have a gym or pool? Any bonuses of living there etc?

tatimari
17th Mar 2011, 16:44
Hello Everyone. I applied to attend the Los Angeles OD for the 26th this month but received an invitation to attend the San Mateo AD on Aapril 9th. So my question is, where do you think my chances would be greater at making it to the end and becoming an EK member??? Thank you in advance!

swimming_gal
17th Mar 2011, 18:15
I was wondering about how long after your stus changes to 'You will be contacted at the earliest' do you normally get the call? And if you get that status change, does that normally mean you are accepted? Thanks in advance for the info :)

Milly26
17th Mar 2011, 19:59
Hey,
I just went to log onto my account and i got the messgae "you will be contacted by your recruitment coordinator at the earliest". Thought it would never happen - hope to get the call soon :O

Jbrsp11
17th Mar 2011, 21:07
Congratulations man!
You made it! in a few days you will get your call.
Hope getting mine soon...hehehehe.

edoble
17th Mar 2011, 22:26
Guys, if I am a non arabic speaker and get a job at a hotel in the UAE, is it harder to try to join the airlines? Do they recruit expatriates already working in the country??

Id really appreciate your comments!

Best.

sophia edwards
18th Mar 2011, 08:40
Hello Im soooo excited .... my status changed three days ago to you will be contacted by recruitement co ordinater at the earlist.:O..
Yesterday I had a message in my voicemail from Dubai regarding my final interview and to contact his number however I tried all day long and again today even though I understand its the weekend there :ugh:....
I really want to celebrate and get excited but I will have to wait to here it from the recruiter himself to actually believe it....
Does anyone know if anyone has had there call at a weekend or will I have to wait till Sunday now???

kenyan85
18th Mar 2011, 09:34
Hi guys, it's been long since I last posted. As I write this, my friend is getting ready to join the company on Tuesday, having trained her for the December Assessment Day in Nairobi.
I am looking to get help from people who are currently in the company and those who have gotten through in their second or third try. This is my third time trying, having made it to the Final Interview both times. I specifically need help as regards to the Final Interview, since I have realised that this is my stumbling block. I can't seem to recall the competence based scenarios ("...tell us about a time when you had to break the rules in order to carry out an important task..."). I can put it down to lack of sufficient preparation and little work experience. Is there anyone who is willing to help me? You can private message me and we can skype or chat via yahoo messenger. I have 29 days to prepare and I want to arm myself to the teeth this time.

Prayers, good wishes and encouragement are welcome!

Thank You!

Mari
18th Mar 2011, 10:02
I hope you have ENOUGH work experience this time.

Good luck!

Tips for the cabin crew interviews

The cabin crew job interviewer may want to identify the following skills on the job candidate:

1. communicator/listener who effectively works and serves people.

2. Interpersonal abilities – Team-worker (a team player).

3. Handling multiple tasks.

4. Awareness of differences between cultures.

Cabin Crew Interview Questions and Answers

The first questions may be settled around where you got your education from, what was your previous education status and any other questions that are related to your (last – if at all) job as a cabin crew member.

After the general questions about your professional and personal past, as well as some relevant questions about your academic qualifications, the following questions are asked during a cabin crew interviews:

Do you like being around people?
Being a cabin crew requires a person to have solid interpersonal skills.
The person should be always cheerful and should not show their frustrations or anger to the people around them. This is the most important aspect of being in the cabin crew.

Why do you want this career? Why do you wish to join the cabin crew?
While this question may seem difficult to answer to people who are doing the job for the financial position that it offers, this question will seem simple to people who are interested in flying.
You have to do some research about this career and tell about your skills for this type of job.
You can also say that you are quite interested in flying and visiting new places. You may also say further that you like to be around people and have the social bug.

Give us an example where you really held your temper?
This question is mainly asked to a cabin crew interviewee if he or she has been working for another airline or in any position in the flight crew. If you ever had an unusual problem with a passenger and did well on handling the case, it is best to speak about it at the interview. In case the interviewer asks, you may also provide a personal incident.

Tell us of a situation when you were under real pressure? Tell us of a case when you have been upset or frustrated?
This is basically a question that tries to ask you whether you ever had an analysis of yourself. When you are asked this question, make sure that you give a clear and crisp answer about it. You may tell about any situation that you have experienced and the lesson you learned.

Have you ever worked in a customer care or customer service job?
If you did, you can tell about your valuable experience and the good gained practice that you’ve got.

Why do you want to join our company?
This is a question that is aimed at finding out whether you know enough about the company and the basic market.
The best way to answer this question is to do some research on the company and highlight its positive points. You can also speak about the routes that the airline follows, and whether the routes that they follow have been the ones that you had an ambition to fly on.

The cabin crew interview is often feared by many candidates and the one part of the selection process that they do not look forward. However, if you want to become part of the cabin crew team you will need to stand out during the interview stage.
For many candidates and the recruitment staff the interview signals the end of the entire selection process. Those have made it this far have done very well as the majority of candidates are asked to leave after the teamwork exercises.

It is only the select few that are asked to stay behind and undertake a interview. For many candidates the problem is that they either have not prepared for this stage or they relax because they did not expected to get this far.

However, this is arguably the most critical time in your attempt to join your chosen airline. The reason that I say this, is due to the fact that at the interview stage it is the first time the recruitment staff will be able to spend some time with you on a one-on-one basis. So far, you will have been assessed on your team work and other skills but now its just you and the recruitment staff.

You should look at this as an opportunity to present yourself in such a way as to stand out from the other candidates. Everyone will be nervous at this point but if you have prepared for this then you will be fine. The question then arises, well how do I prepare for an interview. The key to this stage is trying to think of the questions you may be asked and preparing you responses.

Not all the questions you will prepare will come and not all will be asked in the way you want but by preparing you will be one step ahead of the rest. A typical question that the recruitment staff like to ask is: The role of a cabin crew member requires the person to be away from home for long periods of time, how will this affect you and are you able to handle this?

The reason that they ask this type of question is not to catch you out but to find out if you have really thought about what the job requires from a candidate. They do not want to be in a position 3 or 4 months down the line where you have decided that you cannot deal with being away from home for that amount of time.

A lot of candidates get caught up in the idea of joining their chosen airline and flying around the world without really considering what is means. The recruitment team will be looking for an answer that shows them you have thought about this point.

A good answer may include the point that you are used to being away from home for long periods of time and that this will not be a problem for you. Or maybe that you have children any have given this much thought and you have arranged someone to look after them while you are away. There is not such much a right or wrong answer but more an answer that shows you have considered this fact for your circumstances.

Flight Attendant Interview Questions and answers

Listed below are the most commonly asked interview questions. A well thought out answer to each of these questions, prepared and rehearsed in advance with the logical sequencing of the events will help you sail through.

1. Tell us about yourself

This is an open canvas for you, giving you an opportunity to direct and lead your interview in the direction you want. A. good idea would be to structure your answer in the following three broad heads:
Family Background

Educational Background (starting from schooling to professional qualifications)

Achievements

In all the above subheads speak only that information which will give strength to your candidature. Avoid verbose description of yourself.

2. Why do you want to join us?
To answer this question, you need to research the company well. Here you can quote some of your personal beliefs, which are in conjunction with the values of the company or talk about specific products and services which could be of interest to you too.

In the event where your skill set is mapping with the requirement of the company, do not miss the chance to highlight the same. Specify the initiatives taken or work done to attain that skill set.

3. What would you like to do in five years' time ?

This question is asked to assess candidate’s career plan and ambition for growth and to see if the company will be able to provide that opportunity over period of time. Also to assess if your personal goals are not totally off tangent with what company’s objectives are. It is also to check your stability with the organization. It is good idea to be very realistic in your answer. If required guidance should be taken from your seniors who are already in the corporate environment.

4. Do you prefer working with others or alone?

This question is usually asked to determine whether you are a team player. Before answering, however, be sure about the eligibility requirement of job profile, that whether it requires team work or you to work alone. Then answer accordingly.

5. What are your biggest accomplishments?

You could begin your reply with: "Although I feel my biggest achievements are still ahead of me, I am proud of my sense of involvement. I would like to make my contribution as part of that team and learn a lot in the process".

It will be a good idea to close your answer with also specifying what attributes and circumstances made you succeed.

6. What are your favorite subjects?

It is a leading question giving direction to the panel members for possible areas where they can probe in further for your knowledge base and in-depth understanding. It is advisable to select the topics that you are competent in.

7. Why should we hire you?

Keep your answer short and precise. You should highlight areas from your background that relates to the need of the organization. Recap the organization’s description of the job, meeting it point by point with your skills.

8. What are your hobbies?

This question is generally asked to assess whether you are "desktop" kind of a person or an "interaction orientated person". It also indicates your preference for team-oriented activities or projects with solo contributions. It enables the organization to place you accordingly after selection. Be candid in answering the questions.

9. What is the worst feedback you have ever got?

To answer this question you must admit and share your areas of improvement. Also sharing an action plan for improving oneself will indicate your ability to take criticism well. Your answer should reflect your open-mindedness.

10. What is the most difficult situation you have faced?

Here you should be ready with your real life story. The question looks for information on two fronts: How do you define difficulty and how did you handle the situation? You should be able to clearly lay down the road map for solving the problem, your ability to perform task management and maintain good interaction with your team members and other peers. It is advisable to close by highlighting the lesson learnt out of the incident.

11.How do you measure talent?

[related questions How do you measure talent in an organization (or company or team)? or How do you grow/develop talent in an organization (or company or team)?]
"That's a very significant question. Its implications affect the future health of all organizations - probably now more than ever.."
"The reason why this is such a difficult question for modern organizations to address and resolve, is that while some organizations and leaders know how crucial 'talent' is for their survival and competitive effectiveness, you can't actually measure and grow anything until you can define exactly what it is, which is the real challenge. I believe that you can only begin to measure and develop anything when you can define exactly what it is. Talent is prime example. The concept of 'talent' alone is completely intangible. It means all sorts of different things to different people and organizations. Therefore the key to measuring and growing 'talent' is first to define exactly what 'talent' is - to understand and describe what it means, what it looks like, how it behaves and what it can achieve. And these definitions will be different depending on the organization. Talent in a bank will have a quite different meaning to talent in an advertising agency, or in a hospital. So that's the first answer to the question: First you need to define it and agree the definition, which is likely to be quite and involved and detailed task, because it's such a deep and serious concept..."

"Aside from defining what talent is, the organization needs to acknowledge the importance of talent, (according to the agreed organizational definitions). This requires a commitment from the very top, which must be transparent and visible to all. Then people will begin to value talent more fittingly and preciously. A similar thing happened with the 'total quality' concept, when leaders woke up and realized its significance. But they first had to define it and break it down into measurable manageable elements before they could begin to improve it. Talent is the same."

12.How do/would you optimize performance and lift standards in a team?

[related questions - Explain your approach to maintaining high standards and improving poor performance in a team]
"The role of every good leader is to develop a successor, alongside which is the aim to develop team maturity so that it can self-manage. This approach fosters high standards and great performance because the team is being empowered. Open clear positive two-way communications help to establish team understanding and agreement of aims and direction (and standards). Involve and consult and enable and coach, rather than decide and direct and control. People perform and achieve best when pursuing their own goals and aims, not the ones imposed from outside. The trick therefore is aligning people with work, so it's meaningful and important".

13.Have you ever dealt with a customer making an unrealistic demand?

[related questions - Can you give me an example where you've had to deal with a customer who has made an unrealistic or unreasonable demand? or How do you deal with difficult customers?]
"Central to this process is being able to fully understand the customer's position and feelings, without necessarily agreeing with them. Explaining this difference between understanding and agreeing at the interview helps the interviewee to demonstrate capability to deal with these types of difficult situations. Good sympathetic questioning skills, and a good understanding of the options available to the supplier organization in solving problems, are also vital for being able to adapt and develop mutually agreeable solutions".

14.How would you respond if you were offered the job?

Think before the interview and during the interview: How would you actually respond to this question? If you'd accept the job and you are really happy and free to do so, then say so. You have little to gain from being evasive. If you have other options or commitments that need proper and fair consideration before accepting the job offer then say so (it does not put you in a very good light if you demonstrate that you are prepared to treat an existing employer or another potential employer badly). If you need more information (about package, expectations, responsibilities, etc) then say so. If the interviewer is being aggressive or provocative (as can happen in certain sales interviews particularly) you could say that actually the only way to find out for sure is to make the offer, i.e.., "...make me the offer and I'll tell you..." (the interviewer will not normally fall for that one of course but at least he/she will see that you can stand up for yourself, which most tough-nuts will respect).

15.What would you do if you had to deal with an angry customer?

"Empathize, understand, and as quickly as possible obtain the customer's trust in your promise to try to resolve the matter. And then set about finding the facts and resolving it, working within whatever policies and processes are in place for the particular problem. The important thing is to remember the difference between understanding and agreeing - you need to understand without necessarily agreeing or pre-judging the outcome (unless of course you can actually resolve it an agree it there and then). And you need to apologize without pre-judging whatever investigation you need to do or arrange. Finally, take responsibility for seeing the issue through to the finish, when at the end of it hopefully the customer is more delighted than they have ever been, (which is often what happens when you do things properly)."

16.What will you bring to the job/company if we employ you?

"I can see clearly that quick results are a priority - and that's something I'm good at generating, because I have good abilities and experience to interpret situations, and then a strong focus on activities which will achieve change and results in the necessary areas."

"I'm diplomatic with people too, which means I can generally bring people along with me; if needs be though I can be firm and determined enough to convince people who need a bit of extra encouragement."

17.Tell me about the culture at your last company/employer.

"The culture encouraged people to develop, grow, take responsibility. People were coached and mentored towards quality and productive effort. All of this helped me a great deal because I identify with these values, and respond to these opportunities."

18.Tell me about your life at College or University (or even your time in your previous job).

In your answer, emphasize the positive behavior, experience and achievements (ideally backed up with examples and evidence) which will impress the interviewer because of its relevance to the role requirements.
It's a trap for interviewees who look regretfully or negatively on past experiences, criticize or attribute blame, or display 'someone else's fault' attitudes.

College and University are environments which provide lots of opportunity. Good applicants will be able to demonstrate that they have used the opportunity to learn and develop, whether their experiences were all positive and successful or not.

19.What do you want to be doing in 2/5/10 years time? Or: Where do you want to be in 2/5/10 years time?

"Making a more significant contribution to whatever organization I'm working for. To have developed new skills, abilities, maturity - perhaps a little wisdom even. To have become better qualified in whatever way suits the situation and opportunities I have. To be better regarded by my peers, and respected by my superiors as someone who can continue to increase the value and scale of what I do for the organization."

"I'd like more responsibility, because that's a result of personal growth and progression, and it's important for my personal satisfaction."

"I have no set aspirations about money and reward - if I contribute and add value to the organization then generally increased reward follows - you get out what you put in."

"Long term I want to make the most of my abilities - if possible to build a serious career, but in this day and age nothing is certain or guaranteed; things can change. I'll do my best and believe that opportunities will arise which will enable me to keep contributing, increasing my worth, and developing my ability in a way that benefits the organization and me."

20.What is your ideal job?

'A manager or executive with this organization in (function relative to experience and skill set) where I have the responsibility and accountability for using my skills and efforts to achieve great results, work alongside great people, and get a fair reward.' 'I'd like to become an expert in my field (state function if relevant), where I'm able to use my skills and abilities to make a real difference to the company's performance.'

21.What did you achieve in your last job?

Prepare a number of relevant examples and explain one (two or three if they're punchy and going down well). Make sure you feature as the instigator, or the factor that made the difference. Examples must lead to significant organizational benefits; making money, saving money/time, improving quality, anticipating or creatively solving problems, winning/keeping customers, improving efficiency.

22.What are your strengths?

Prepare three that are relevant to the requirements of the role. Be able to analyze why and how you are strong in those areas. Mix in some behaviors, knowledge and experience and well as skills, and show that you understand the difference. Style should be quite confidence rather than arrogant or over-confident.

23.What are your weaknesses?

Start by saying that you don't believe you are actually 'weak' in any area. Acknowledge certain areas that you believe you can improve, (and then pick some relatively unimportant or irrelevant areas). If you must state a weakness these are the clever ones that are actually strengths: not suffering fools gladly; sometimes being impatient with other people's sloppy work; being too demanding; refusing to give in when you believe strongly about something; trying to do too much, etc, etc.

24.Tell me about something recently that really annoyed you.

Don't get trapped into admitting to a temper or loss of control. Say you tend to get more annoyed with yourself than with other people or other situations. Annoyance isn't very productive, so you tend to try to understand and concentrate on finding a way around a problem or putting things straight.

25.Give me an example of when you've produced some poor work and how you've dealt with it.

Don't admit to having produced poor work ever. Say you've probably made one or two mistakes - everyone does - but that you always do everything you can to put them straight, learn from them and made sure you'll not make the same mistake again.

26.How do you plan and organize your work?

"Planning and writing a plan is very important. I think how best to do things before I do them, if it's unknown territory I'd take advice, learn from previous examples - why re-invent the wheel? I always priorities, I manage my time, and I understand the difference between urgent and important. For very complex projects I'd produce quite a detailed schedule and plan review stages. I even plan time-slots for activities that aren't in themselves organized, like thinking time, and being creative, solving problems, etc."

27.How many hours a week do you work/prefer to work?

"It varies according to the situation. I plan and organize well, so unless there's a crisis or unusual demand I try to finish at a sensible time so as to have some time for my family/social life/outside interests. It's important to keep a good balance. I start earlier than most people - you can get a lot done before the phones start ringing. When the pressure's on though I'm happy to work as long as it takes to get the job done. It's not about the number of hours - it's the quality of the work that you do; how productive you are".

28.Do you make mistakes?

Be honest. "Yes of course on occasions, but I obviously try not to, and I always try to correct them and learn from them".

29.What do you know about our company?

If you can relate your knowledge to the area that you would be involved in, it would show that already you have an active interest in the organization. For example, if you were interested in marketing, "I understand that you are one of the top 10 companies in sales to Europe but are currently interested in expanding your market into Asia. Competition is keen in that area but you have an advantage in that you product offers features that others do not, such as....."
It is not only showing that you have done the research but also that you like/know what you have learned about the company and have applied it to how you can add value in the position.

30.Why do you want to leave this job after only four months?
Well, why did you? What is the closest to the truth:
1. Job was not as it was described to me
2. Organization changed its focus/goals
3. Organization could not effectively use my talents/skills
4. Change in management...wanted to bring in own staff
5. Downsizing, reorganization
All of these will probably prompt a follow-up question. Do not fabricate...but most interviewers have heard these stories before and really are not interested in all the gory details. (Note that this job need not be included on your resume since it was of such a short duration but may have to be included in a application form if it looks to account for all your time.)
Circumstances also come to play...did you leave your other job to take this 4 month job? or did you 'try' it while already unemployed...hoping for the best? If you were recruited to change jobs, there is a lot of room for exaggeration in a sales pitch, and many employees have been misled.
If you have held other jobs for substantial periods and you took the other job in good faith, stress your past performance. You are not a capricious person---job hopping. You have skills to offer and want to put them into good use.

31.What do you wish to gain from our company?

Excellent question! Research is the answer (know everyone is tired of hearing this but we feel this is one great way for applicants to make a difference in their candidacy). Determine some of the key elements in the corporate structure, product base, employees/management team or recent history. What appeals to you about working at this company? Go with what you know.
"In the past, I have had opportunities to work on new products being launched. I am very excited about your plans to start an entire new line of products. With my prior experience I know I can provide insights and make contributions immediately and I will also learn so much from the excellent team you have in place. Having done single products, I would love to be in on the give-and-take meetings planning the new line...there is much I can offer but also much for me to learn."
Finding something specific...the opportunity to use a new technology, a new skill, to work with 'experts on their team"...are ways for you to find job satisfaction, which is another way of asking this question

33.What do you think the employee's responsibilities are to the company?
As an employee you have several responsibilities to your employer. They are as follows:
to perform a good day's work

to be loyal

to act as part of the team

to value the relationship

to earn the employer's trust

to grow with a passion for the product/service.

34.Why do you want to change jobs?

When asked on an application, "If presently employed, why do you wish to change positions", what do you put down. The reason I am changing positions because the company I am applying at is known nationwide I want to work for a company with their background and one that I can retire from.
This same question is sometimes asked on interviews as well so it is important to have a good answer. Additionally, if you decide to leave your current employer, it is also wise to have consensus as to the reasons that you are leaving.
It already sounds like you have positive reasons for wanting to work for the national company---go with that. Use your research to put forth several points about the company that you feel will be a great match (for the company) and suit your particular skills and experiences. Emphasize the fact that this opportunity to work for them is 'just what you have been looking for' because....and then go into several ways you can add value to the organization.
Remember, when asked why you left, do not downgrade in any way your prior/current employer...leave the interviewer with the feeling that you have only been associated with winners! Do not go into the 'I can retire from this job' aspect; it can have negative connotations. Present yourself as a vital, enthusiastic employee that can offer experience to their organization...for many years to come. Note: If appropriate, point out that you are not just 'looking around' but are sincerely interested in working for this particular company and that you are not a 'job-hopper' but are interested in a long-term career move

kenyan85
18th Mar 2011, 10:13
That was a very exhaustive and thorough analysis and I shall use it in the coming days to prepare for the FI. And yes, I have had more than enough time to fully think about this job and what it entails (3 years of trying to be exact haha) and I will do my best this time.

Thanks again!

Fingerzcrossed
18th Mar 2011, 14:57
Mari it is really a good job thanks a lot :):)

Liliana20
18th Mar 2011, 17:05
Hi Guys,

Do you know how long does it take to get any answer from Emirates after I have uploaded my application for AD?

Thanks.

KingofEK
18th Mar 2011, 18:07
Oh thank you so much Mari ! You're doing a great job you are AN ANGEL!!!:ok:

Liliana20 : Normally you get a mail invitation 7 to 4 days prior to the AD's scheduled date so no worries ;) Good Luck :D

Liliana20
18th Mar 2011, 19:21
Oh, I thought I get it a few days after the application has been received.
Thank you KingofEK, I try and do my best!

KingofEK
18th Mar 2011, 21:30
You're Welcome Liliana20 !!

! I Have two things to ask you about guys and could you advice me please :)
It is too early for the first question as i didn't went to the entire recruitment yet so so far ,but who knows, prevention is better than cure ! First thing is that i worry about the X-ray chest if i will be selected so i have to do the medicals and to be honest , i smoke 10 +/- cigarettes per day but i have neither breath nor health problems or any signs that could affect the position , shall i stop smoking before i do the medicals? or is it tolerated by the EK Doctors?

Second thing , is that once a week i do a voluntary job in the American Corner Library in Tunis, Tunisia, i check books in an out but not paid.. and in 2007 , i worked as a sales agent in a call center for a month and a half but have no papers justifying this little experience, So do you think it is necessary if it comes as an asset to tell the recruiters about both of the experiences , apart of that i haven't worked at all ...and i feel im perplexed about that...
Thank you for a feedback

vol876
18th Mar 2011, 21:39
Hello all:D

I've recently submitted my application on the Emirates website in the general cabin crew section, as well as for the Los Angeles open information day. I will be attending the open information day in LA as well.

I have a background in restaurant service, and am Iranian American, with a fluency in both English and Farsi. Will this competency in another middle eastern language help although it is not Arabic?

Are there any tips or hints any of you could share with me? I've been reading every page of this thread, and cannot stop thinking about the open information day which is in about a week.

I've interviewed with 2 other airlines in the past, JetBlue, and Virgin America. I truly believe I have what it takes, as providing genuine, memorable guest care is my forte, but the past experiences with interviews have been disheartening. I have always wanted to go into the airline industry as a flight attendant, and I'm scared that I won't be good enough for Emirates, based on my past failures. :ugh: I'm going forward with confidence though, and hope I possess what they are looking for in cabin crew. The diversity is something that impresses me with their crew.

Thanks a lot everyone!

-Vala

KingofEK
18th Mar 2011, 23:36
Dear vol876 ,

Only English language is mandatory for Emirates Airlines , an another language is an asset of course so farsi is an asset like me , which my Native Language is Arabic Tunisian And italian i'm half half :p
Oh yes and check your P.M , you said you would love some explanations? right? You have them !
Regards!
Moez

imani
19th Mar 2011, 07:03
hi everyone. hope you are all good:). i am new here and i am so bummed that i only just recently found out about this forum :ugh:...i have read the whole thread and boy if i knew all this information two years ago i would probably be in Emirates flying high. but I'm giving myself some hope that all things happen for a reason (corny):).
i am from Nairobi-Kenya and i first had my try with emirates in the year 2008 and didn't get past the fist stage because for one i was probably too confident and too much of myself i.e too chatty/bubbly and lacked experience .When i wasn't chosen i was so devastated but that's life you win some you lose some.

3 years later i have been a volunteer at a anti drugs campaign and work in a 5 star hotel as a receptionist which has been a great experience and the highlight of the job has been the compliments i get from the clients and superiors because of the great service we give and of course my passion for customer service.thanks to all you beautiful people who have taken the time to share and give tips i know what to do and not do this time around.i have applied for the Nairobi AD on 16th and 17th April. crossing my fingers

xtheblonde01x
19th Mar 2011, 11:15
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone on here attended the Belfast open day? I made it through to the final interview and was wondering how anyone else found it? I was given the shape test at the end so not sure if this is a good a good sign? I hope so :) Its only been 2 weeks now so I suppose too early for a reply from emirates. If anyone else attended the Belfast open day please get in touch x

RiverPlate
19th Mar 2011, 19:27
Anyone attended Limerick OD?

Got some important questions.

Thanks

vol876
20th Mar 2011, 01:03
Will a tattoo on the underside of my wrist disqualify me from the job? a dress shirt covers it. I'm worried.

Djsailor
20th Mar 2011, 01:19
During the final phase of the 2nd assesment day, we were asked if we have a US visa on our passport ... why do you think they need to know about that? Is it a plus point that you visited US before or is it a minus point? I've been wondering alot about this sonce I've noticed that it's somehow a regularity question check in all EK assesment process. Anyone knows why? :confused:

What about the manual passports (Hand-written) passports? I heard UAE are denying entry for those holding manual passports and they require those to switch to electronic (biometric) passports instead ...

Daisy Akinyi
20th Mar 2011, 12:43
Hi there? I need your help...I attended an interview last year in December and it didnt go so well with me...i never made through to the final stage... i bet i was a little bit overconfident about myself. From that day, i have been living with regrets and frustrations...not because i didnt make it through but because twas my fault...by now.. at least its getting off my mind and becoming normal.

I have a few questions for you: Do you think that EK can write me off because even after telling us to apply after 6 months...i have been trying my luck from the day after the interview. My 6 months are ending in June and have always been updating my status but it hasn't changed...its still reading not successful. What am to do?!!!!!!!!

Liliana20
20th Mar 2011, 12:53
Dear Vol876,

I'm afraid it will cause you a problem because you can't hide it.
If you really want this job and you are a good applicant you should remove it properly.
Sorry.

KingofEK
20th Mar 2011, 14:28
Dear Djsailsor,

They ask you if you've got a US visa just to check if anyone has been rejected by the past they fly the US so a person that his US visa has been refused can be a problem for them that's all , a simple formality

Vol876 , neither VISIBLE TATTOO nor Piercing are allowed , If wearing long sleeves shirt maybe it can be covered ..

Liliana20, how are you ? Are you still doing some preparations for the interview ?

Daisy Akinyi

don't be frustrated !!! Personally, i went to qatar airways before and made it to the final interview at only 19 years old and 11 months , did not get frustrated , it was a great experience that allowed me to grew up and realize some mistakes i used to make in discussing before but without regrets !! SO , don't give up just go for the opportunity but be confident !
, Good luck to all And GOT NO ANSWER YET TO my previous posts!:(

dandelion
20th Mar 2011, 16:03
Vol876 - Visible tattoos are NOT permitted. And you cannot hide it in your uniform if it is on your wrist!

Daisy Akinyi - what are you to do?? Be patient! Everyone makes mistakes...just learn from them, you simply won't repeat them next time but till it's your turn again be patient! live your life in the meantime...being frustrated doesn't solve anything...a lot of people waited 1, 2, 3 years or more to get this job! And being a cabincrew does require a whole lot of patience! So if you really want this job start practising this virtue! You will be fine next time:-)

KingofEK - EK doctors do not really care if you smoke or not...a lottt of cabincrew working for EK smoke just like in every other airline! You simply need to meet the medical requirements.
Regarding your voluntary working experience..i don't think there is any harm by mentioning it to your recruiters...voluntary work is always nice. You won't require any papers...the only papers you would need as proof of work is that of your last employment. Now since you said you never worked then you will simply need your college/university certificates.

xtheblonde01x - i also had the shapes test after my FI and i wondered just the same..don't know if it's a good or bad sign...however it seems like whether being given the test or not there were acceptances and rejections for both cases.

rene89
20th Mar 2011, 16:13
Scar formation after passing finalinterview
Hello everyone. I am joining emirates on 11 april, two weeks ago i got a cut on my left arm. Its small almost 1.5cm someone advised me to use hydrogen peroxide so that it doesnt form a scar. Unfortunately its healing like a scar. What do i do? Will this make them deny me the job? i am so worried. Please advise.

swimming_gal
20th Mar 2011, 18:02
I got my GC yesterday and was so excited! My DOJ is 25 April. Now to just get everything uploaded. Does anyone else have this date?

dandelion
20th Mar 2011, 18:23
Congrats swimming gal :D how long did you wait from the day of your FI?

KingofEK
20th Mar 2011, 18:44
swimming_gal, CONGRATULATIONS !

Good question and thank you for your feedback it was useful dandelion!!,

I just waht to know about all what is going to happen after receiving the GC ! thanks

swimming_gal
20th Mar 2011, 19:00
Dandelion, I got my call in just under 3 weeks from my FI. But it took me a week to get all my photos sent to the recruiters so I go it just under 2 weeks. A lot quicker than I expected!

dandelion
20th Mar 2011, 19:11
Wow that was pretty quick! Thanks for your reply...i was curious if they were taking longer to get back to us lately...so i guess no :-) Will keep my eyes on the phone! haha :-) Congratulations again :D

May26
20th Mar 2011, 20:23
Hi, everyone!
I must say that I have been reading your posts for more than one year now, but until now didn't have the courage to make my own profile and discuss about this dream called EK.
I have one important question: I have applied for the AD in Bucharest,Ro on March 26th 2 days ago, although it's a little too late I believe...but my question is different: does anyone know if they can also send email invitations as long as they have posted that "appointments will be made in conjuction eith our appointed agency ..."? Please advise, because you can also easily apply on the career portal so..anyway, if I will not hear back from them for this AD, I will go to an OD together with my boyfriend in Sofia, as we reallyyyy want this!!!
Can also someone update me regarding the latest conditions in EK? Has something changed or the same good conditions that every FA for EK talks about?
Thanks a lot and I will keep you updated if something good happens until next week!:DDD In the meantime, we wait,wait,wait!!!
Have a great evening!:)

KingofEK
20th Mar 2011, 21:04
Dear May26

Welcome to the PPRUNE forum ! Here you can find all what you want to know about the job, it was really useful for me as i learned through participating many things about cabin crew living and working conditions in Emirates Airlines ...

We are in the same case as i went to an appointed Emirates agency for the recuitment , The appointed/accredited agency's role is to do preselections , normally .

There will be one or 2 face to face interviews and a writing test which was quite easy for me ..

Then , if you have passed all the preselections they will ring to you and present you to emirates recruiters so it is different from an open day in where you drop off your C.V then wait for their call in order to follow further stages.. Here , this is the role of an accredited agency , save time maybe, and only shortlist the best candidates !
Good luck to you and your boyfriend !!

May26
20th Mar 2011, 21:12
Dear KingofEK,

Thank a lot for your warm welcome!!!!
I am really glad and excited about what lies ahead regarding EK process!!!
Regarding the recruitment agency here, I was only wondering if I applied on their portal (EK career centre) it is not possible to receive an invitation on email for thid AD? I really hope that it is:D !
If not, somebody going to the OD in Sofia, 16th of April?

Have a beautiful evening!

Djsailor
20th Mar 2011, 21:20
KingofEK: Thank you for your reply. Just wanted to make sure that what I was thinking of was correct! :)

You know guys, I've also noticed that alot of us are wondering about the reason behind the Shape Test. The only way to know is asking those who made it in EK: Have you guys went through the Shape Tests? If they did, that means it applies to everyone whether you're a successful candidate or unsuccessful :) .. we can start from there ...

piyal
20th Mar 2011, 21:35
I have had given an interview last year, went till the FI but was unsuccessful. I have one coming up in April again and have a few doubts. How important is it to wear red lipstick to the interview or in the formal photographs? And what kind of casual photos are accepted? do they have to be full length?
please help me. I really wish to get lucky this time. :)

KingofEK
20th Mar 2011, 21:35
May26 :you're welcome! being recruited through an accredited agency or not, you absolutely have to complete the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM because if recruited by the company after your final interview and after receiving the Golden call ( GC) , then your online application will be the only portal between you and emirates human resources , you 'll have to download your medical tests from your application or check your status changes and be able to send them mail if to make sure the've received your files so it is MANDATORY to create an APPLICATION FORM !!

Djsailor what is shape test?:confused:

PS : i'll be attending the AD on 9th april, the day was just added on the careers website , i'm so excited at least i know they're coming ;)

charnel
20th Mar 2011, 22:59
In HR they refer to it as Psychometric Test, If you google it you will find some examples. Basically it is "find what kind of image should be next in the pattern".
http://www.psychpress.com.au/psychometric/images/talent_identify_abstract2.jpg

GSPS-BRA
20th Mar 2011, 23:54
HI, All!

Glad I`ve just found this forum some days ago! I`m about attending OD in DUB on the 26th of March. I`ve got a bucket of doubts :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:surrounding my mind at the moment. Here we go:

1_ Does EK have an age limite. I`m 36yo now and I`ve read over here that the company would hire someone over 30s once they want to.

2_ Do I have to apply online before the OD and wait for their invitation? Or can I apply online, print that form and with my EK reference number and photos go for the interview?

3_ Had 2 visas denied to USA, last was about 2yrs ago. Does it matter for the company?

4_ Does anyone over here attended OD in Limerick or Galway lately? How was that like???

From me, Many thanks to all:ok:!

Djsailor
20th Mar 2011, 23:59
KingofEk: As what Charnel noted, it's part of the Psychometric test. I took this test right after my final interview. It starts off very simple then it gets really complicated and mind boggling at the end!!! :ooh: It's basically picking the diagrams and shapes that best fits in the picture demonstrated!! I hated it :ugh:!!!

Before I went in to my final interview, I saw a candidate who just finished her interview and was doing it before I came in. I thought we all had to do it but now I'm in serious doubt .. did everyone do it or no? :hmm:

Wish to hear from those successful candidates or those who recieved their GC, did you guys went through that test as well?

charnel
21st Mar 2011, 00:24
Actually I think this is a standard set of psychometric tests which can be found in almost every University which has Psychology Degree. I remember once professor at mine showed me this booklet with tests, and explained couple of examples, emphasizing very last example which unbelieveably was the same one in the set I got after my FI. That is why I am sure it is the same one.
And according to my research, not everyone have to take it. There is a theory that you get one when results from the test we do after AD are not conclusive. But that is only theory.
One way or the other, I was asked to take the test. It took me aprox. in 20 min. to finish it, and now im after GC waiting for FA, so definitely it is not a bad sign :)

May26
21st Mar 2011, 06:29
Good morning,

Another day, still waiting to see if I will be able to participate on the AD on the 26th of March!!!...so nervous!!!...but hanging on :D....
Regarding the "shape test", I have a psichology degree,so we were asked to take it, along with more tests during the university...it is not that hard, but makes the difference regarding concentration, problem solving and logical thinking. My oppinion is that if you get to FI and do spectacular, even though your results are not great with the test, they will still take you!

charnel:

I will think of you and I'm sure that if you made it until here and you are as opthimistic as you "sound" overhere :D they will definitely be glad having you in Dubai!

Have a great day and let's hope for a great week with many good news to share!!!:):):)

Hi GSPS-BRA and welcome!!! :)

Trying to summarize your questions (some of them):

1. As far as I know, there is not a max. age limit, if you're good, they will take you. However, if you are a male, you need to be in your best appearance if you age is over 30 and something...I say this because I read on another local forum that a guy of 33 went to OD in Spain and now he is in Dubai!...So, do your best to look outstanding and make a difference!

2. OD mean Open day, more specifically, OPENED for everybody!..you just need to bring your CV and photos (not mandatory, if you are selected, you can bring them to the 2nd stage of the process) and make a difference because a minus regarding OD's, is that you might need to undergo a large number of applicants...at AD (assesment days) it is mandatory to bring their email invitation or to be selected through a recruitment company indicated by them on the portal ; and of course, although is harder to get to the AD,there are more chances and less people :D.

3. What do you mean denied?

4. Unfortunately no, but there is an AD here in Ro on the same date and hopefully me and my boyfriend will get the invitation to go! :D.

Have a beautifull day!!!

Thanks for everything to everyone, you're great!!!

dandelion
21st Mar 2011, 08:42
KingofEK / May26 – Actually it is NOT madotory to create the online application form. You can attend any open day without ever filling in the online application. However yes it will be useful to check the status if you manage to get till the FI stage! and yes you will have to create an account IF chosen as in getting the GC.

Djsailor – as I said in my previous post i know of cases where people given the shape test got accepted, others got rejected as well as vice versa that is people not being given the shape test and got accepted as well as rejected, so being asked to do the psychometric test does not actually mean you have less or more chances of being accepted.

A side note: Guys do not worry too much about everything...take things 1 step at a time...the recruiters will guide you along the way! :-)

flying around
21st Mar 2011, 10:27
Hi everybody,:)

I went to the open day two days before in Amsterdam. We started with around 180 candidates and we reached with 15 candidates the final interview. We did 3 group exercises. We had a small talk with the recruiters. One english test and also a psychology test. In the test you had to answer questions like : are you a lonely person a)sometimes b)never c)sometimes. The questionairre had 170 questions similar to my example. Than I got the final interview and after that I had to do the Raven's Progressive Matrices test from oxford. Not everybody did that second test. I dont know why.
I gave them al the papers they asked for + pictures. So now the waiting time starts for me..
Good luck to everybody.:ok:

Milly26
21st Mar 2011, 10:53
Hi All,

Well i write with good news today!:O. I got my GC today and i leave Australia May 16. Very happy and it was well worth the wait, about 9 weeks in total. So it appears the hold on guys must be easing a little!

May26
21st Mar 2011, 11:08
Hi Milly26 (http://www.pprune.org/members/345789-milly26),

i would like to congratulate your patience, it was all worth it after all,right?
If you have some tips&tricks for newbies here, just at their first AD/OD, please share and keep us posted about how it's going with medicals!!!

Have a great trip and a new start!
Hugs :)

dandelion
21st Mar 2011, 11:29
Congrats Milly :D :D

KingofEK
21st Mar 2011, 12:06
Dear dandelion, i didn't say something wrong , now or later it is or it will be essencial so in both cases it is a must like in an AD for example

dandelion
21st Mar 2011, 13:04
Dear KingofEK ...I think you have misleading information about the online application…it is useful but not a must…I corrected you because it can mislead people. What I mean is if you don’t apply online you can still attend an open day…anyone can just go! So if for example someone finds out today that there will be an OD tomorrow/this week in their city, s/he is not too late because s/he didn’t apply online…they can still go! :-)
However yes you are right when saying it is useful..sure it is. ;)

jaysonq_2
21st Mar 2011, 13:49
i am neophyte here i have a couple of queries:

1. ek doesnt have a AD and OD in my country, can apply directly to dubai?

2. is it true that they stop hiring Filipino(philippines)?

JewelF
21st Mar 2011, 14:37
What do you mean by Raven's Progressive Matrices test from oxford?
A maths test? From what i've read, EK no longer give math exams! How is this possible?

charnel
21st Mar 2011, 15:36
Yes! Raven's Test, that's the one i was reffering to in my previous post.

Raven's Progressive Matrices (often referred to simply as Raven's Matrices) are non-verbal multiple choice measures of the reasoning (or, better, "meaning-making") component of Spearman's g , which is often referred to as general intelligence. The tests were originally developed by John C. Raven in 1936.[1] In each test item, the subject is asked to identify the missing element that completes a pattern. Many patterns are presented in the form of a 4x4, 3x3, or 2x2 matrix, giving the test its name.

It measures different parts of human intelligence, deduction, logic thinking, pattern recognition, ability to notice progressive patterns, analogies between figures, figures rearrangement and resolving them to single elements. It is known to measure those regardless of experience, race, education, etc.

It is commonly used in process of selecting candidates for police, military, banking, etc.

Teddy_86
21st Mar 2011, 17:37
Dear May26, welcome here! Did you receive you invitation yet? I will attend to the OD in Sofia, so see you here! If you don't get the invitation you still can come to the OD- it is open for everybody! Good luck!

May26
21st Mar 2011, 18:17
Dear Teddy_86,

Thank you for your warm welcome!!!...it really counts a lot !!!
Regarding the email invite, nothing yet until now... :( If I will not get it for Saturday, we will definitely see each other in Sofia!...as there is less than a week until the AD here in Bucharest, I believe Sofia remains the best option!

Speaking of Sofia, I saw that you are from Bulgaria and would help me a lot if you could answer to few questions:
1) Do a lot of people attend an OD in Sofia?
2) Where could I check in for a hotel near Radisson, where the OD is taking place? (not to be far distance as I wil be travelling with my boyfriend with his car so we can stay somewhere near).
3) Have you attended an OD in Sofia before? How was it?

I would be so thankfull if you could answer my questions!!!
Thank a lot and lots of hugs for everybody!!

May

May26
21st Mar 2011, 18:25
Dear all,

Charnel is making a great point here, explaining in details what is this test about...if you would like,maybe I could look for some charts and PM me .
It is non- verbal test of analytic intelligence, and the most important thing is that the analysis is based on detailed performance characteristics such as verbal protocols, eye fixation patterns and errors....and what they look more is the ability to dynamically manage a large set of problems...

If anyone attended until now an OD in Sofia and wants to share his/her experience, I will be waiting!!!...:D
Thanks a lot and have great evening, all of you !
May

boss19792002
21st Mar 2011, 18:51
hello their , any good news about jefro and hala22 , and how was their interview.

May26
21st Mar 2011, 19:07
hello boss19792002,

I do not know who are you talking about but it seems tonight it's only the 2 of us around... :)
Maybe you can share some OD/AD experience? :DDD

Have a great evening,
May

black sheep X
21st Mar 2011, 19:10
hi guys, does anyone have any ideea whether Emirates has something against hiring ex Etihad? I've flown for Etihad and afterwards a different company in my country.

I attended an Emirates open day in Bucharest 2 years ago but I was rejected during the drop off phase. Could it have had anything to do with my CV?

boss19792002
21st Mar 2011, 20:38
jefro and halaa22 they are member in this site , their interview was on 19/3 , jefro did it in toronto and hala22 did it in vancouver and im going to do it in 26/3 next saturday , so i hope thats i can get contact with any one of them , just to know how was their OD and the question of the interview , if they have any advice for us , that`s will be great .
and i wish they did well :ok:

GSPS-BRA
21st Mar 2011, 21:44
May26 thanks a million for kindly replying to me! I`m really looking forward for this OD in the next few days! I dont really know what to expect from this. The only thing is I`ll try it so bad! And we`ll see what will be the story in the end of the day!

Anyone else attending the OD in DUB?

Teddy_86
21st Mar 2011, 22:42
Dear May29, I think it is not such a big problem that you haven't received mail yet, you still can attend. I tell you this,because I think that it would be better for you to attend in Romania than in Bulgaria. You will feel more comfortable and calm there, that's what I think.

1) Do a lot of people attend an OD in Sofia?
We were about 200-250 of us, but I am not pretty sure, because the AD took two days and I don't know how many people there were on the second day, because I attended on the first day.
2) Where could I check in for a hotel near Radisson, where the OD is taking place? (not to be far distance as I wil be travelling with my boyfriend with his car so we can stay somewhere near).
Radisson hotel is in the center of Sofia, nearby Sofia University. There are a lot of hotels in this area. I will check for you and write you about apropriate hotel. If you decide to come to Sofia, I will give you a detailed explanation how you can get to Radisson hotel. You don't need to worry about anything, I will help you as far as I can.
3) Have you attended an OD in Sofia before? How was it?
I attended last June and made it to the FI, but I got rejected two weeks after that. It was a great shock for me, because everything was perfect on my FI and the rejection mail was very unexpected. On the AD there was a group of Romanians and they also made it to the FI, they were veeery well prepared and very good looking.
The first stage was a group discussion- We were 8-9 peple in every group and you had to ask the person sitting on your right side "What would you do if you can be invisible for one day?" After 10-15 min one by one, we stood up and tell the recruiter what was the answer of our coleague. After this stage the recruiters cut about 40 people.
The next stage was also a discussion. We were two groups of 10-12 people and the topic was- Do you agree/ disagree with the prohibition of smoking in public areas? My team had to Disagree with this prohibition and we had to discuss and find arguments why we agree with this statement. About 50 people were cut here.
Next stage was the English test. It was not difficult,but it was very confusing. So you have to be very concentrated!
After that we had another group discussion. The topic was- If you are sent to a distant inhabited planet what would you take with you- 5 animals, 5 tools, 5 jobs and 5 things to eat. They cut about 10 people here.
After that it was the psichometric test. It took about 1 long hour. After two days was my FI.
What I want to tell you all is that you have to prepare very carefully. You have to be good looking at first, because it is extremely important. Your outfit should be very conservative. You have to look serious and reliable. And at least, but not last, be very charming! Always smile, always look glad and happy.

sophia edwards
22nd Mar 2011, 07:20
Hello well got my GC :O yesterday wow cant believe it its exactly 9 weeks today since very first interview!! So patience does pay!!!
My leaving date is the 25th of April is there anyone else got the same date.....The recruitment guy told me I had to wait for an email with medical documents on them I would like to sort this asap just wondered if anyone could give me a preview list so I can get started ..also is there anyone else going from Manchester??
I know Swimming girl has the same date although I think she will be coming from the USA look forward to meeting you in Dubai xx

May26
22nd Mar 2011, 08:52
Dear Teddy_86 (http://www.pprune.org/members/351519-teddy_86),

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain me everything!!! You're great!!!
I would definitely attend this one in Ro, but unfortunately it is an AD, not OD, so i cannot just drop by...as days pass, I realize that the invitation is less probable to come, only 4 days ahead!! :(

Anyway, it was very interesting what you posted regarding the interview days....I am a little confused about the first part, whn you said that you need to talk with the person next to you and give their answer...how should I act here?I mean, how did you, that they took you to a further stage and how did the persons that haven't been selected answered???
Please advise as I never went through such an experience :D....I feel very bad that you were not selected and I cannot understand why,as long as you made it through the FI succesfully:rolleyes:?
Same question for the 2nd part, if you could advise or pm me regarding these 2 type of questions....I have no idea about what they're expectinn but i would like to be very well prepared...

Have a great day and we will definitely come to Sofia and meet you there!!! :)

Dear Sophia::)

Congrats and good luck with your medicals!!! I was all worth it in the end, wasn't it?

Hugs,
May

Mari
22nd Mar 2011, 08:54
1- HIV report.
2- Haemoglobin Count
3- Hepatitis C (HCV) Test
4- A Detailed Chest X Ray report about heart and lungs.
5-Audiogram report & graph (graph is very important for approval of such)
6- Cervical smear test report (for females only - if applicable).
7- Dental certificate – Doctor should mark Yes or No in front of dentally fit
8- Vaccination certificate with the initial course date
9- Eye test

TO START:
Do the smear test first, it takes 5-7 days to get the results.
Do your teeth as well if you have problems, you might need to go back for further treatments.
You can do the HIV test as well, you get the results after 2-5 days. If you ask ASAP (4-5 hours) it will cost you much more. You will need the original certificate in English.

Mari
22nd Mar 2011, 09:03
May26,

if you have NO IDEA what to say and how to say it, you will never pass the assessment. If you are not able to find a hostel in Sofia without the help of a ppruner, you are not ready to move to Dubai and work for Emirates.

You got plenty of advice by going through this thread, should be enough to figure out how to act during the day.

To know the company's expectations, read the Emirates homepage and google "qualities of a flight attendant/cabin crew".

It's extremely hard to make it from Bucharest: hundreds of applicants from all over Romania, very well-prepared candidates.

May26
22nd Mar 2011, 10:06
Dear Mari,

Thank you very much for your encouragements and for telling me that it is very hard to make it from Romania...ibut I will not consider them this time.

Anyway, I did not say I am not able to find a place to stay in Sofia, please read carefully my post, I was just asking for some reccomendations regarding hotels.

There is no need to be so acid as I know my chances but i also know that I want to get there, so I am hopefully that sooner or later, I will get to EK and return your sayings (or not even that as they do not count for me).

For an EK flight attendant, you seem a little disturbed by my atitude as an "EK wannabee" and I'm dissapointed by that; in the end, you have also been at a beginning, experiencing these feelings and hopes.

All the best,
May

sophia edwards
22nd Mar 2011, 11:48
Thankyou Mari I will get things moving now asap :O

flying around
22nd Mar 2011, 12:12
@ Charnel. Yes correct. That is the exactly meaning of the test I did. It was not so easy. Some pictures are easy and some of them just so difficult.

Does any of you knows why not all of the candidates had to do that test?

Motina
22nd Mar 2011, 12:19
[Text speak]

Read the first sticky thread at the top of the forum.

May26
22nd Mar 2011, 12:36
Dear flying around (http://www.pprune.org/members/332641-flying-around) ,

i couldn't say for sure, maybe someone could, but I think there is a post about it in the last pages...something regarding your answers to the psychological one - if they are contradictory, you may be taking this test...I am not sure about the answer, unfortunately :(....

hahamong
22nd Mar 2011, 12:39
i'm joining in a week but i'm afraid of the drug test
my boyfriend smokes marijuana when i'm next him,and sometimes he even kiss me after that now i'm afraid i will test positive
is it possible to be the case?

Mari
22nd Mar 2011, 14:29
Not very likely but it might happen if you spent much time in the house where he smoked. It happens with relatives of cancer patients who smoke marijuana for the pain at home.

I doubt you were exposed to the smoke constantly for weeks...

However, it's better to check before you come to Dubai.

vol876
22nd Mar 2011, 16:01
I'm going to my OD in Los Angeles on Saturday, and I'm preparing as best I can. I'm quite nervous, as I wish I could go to bed, and wake up that morning :} Does anyone know the size of the US ODs? I look forward to meeting some of you, and partaking in this journey towards being an Emirates cabin crew:ok:

KingofEK
22nd Mar 2011, 16:59
Sophia edwards Congratulations !!!!!

To all of you:

Well , i applied for the EK announcement 12th february , did the preselections through an accredited agency, passed them but after that , the accredited agency told us to wait until the recruiters have come so of course tunisia was removed from the global assessment days, so i could not be aple to apply online as we were already selected ( about 60 ) and now Tunisia again appears in the global assessment day for the 9th april so the position is again open and still do not receive the call from the appointed agency, i decided to apply online at the same time , But still don't know about the future... what do you think about this situation???:rolleyes:

bibos
22nd Mar 2011, 17:05
hello every one , just wanted to wish every one good luck with all the stages of recruiting , it has been a yeah since i last chacked this , after i was addicted before i got recruited , one year with emirates already passed and so fast i can't even believe it has been a year already , was a great year that really changed my life , so many challanges but still much more positive things that you gain from this job, all the best for every one :ok:

perkin1
23rd Mar 2011, 04:53
Who else has a DOJ of march 28?? Would be cool to get in touch!! Private message me in here if you are!!!

ThatRedHatGirl
23rd Mar 2011, 11:57
To may 26,

Mari is not being harsh. There are many many 'newbies' arriving all the time. The 'helpless' attitude of many of them is extremely frustrating. Some of the, are goign home right after the training because they are just not independent enough to deal with the move, or too immature to be responsible and just party all the time so they fail ab initio training.

Your response to Mari, that you will not even consider to take on board what she is saying, tells me you might be one of these people.

What is wrong with just saying "Thank you for the advice", not "Ohhh it doesn't apply to me, why are you saying this and being "acid"".....

Mari takes a lot of her own time to answer questions here and the way some people respond to her is just downright disprespectful. As someone who has been here a long time, she actully DOES know what she is talking about, and is giving you the honest truth- whether YOU think it is harsh or not.

Now I just know I'm going to get called harsh or mean for THIS response!!

I also see the SAME questions being asked OVER and OVER and OVER again!! There is no excuse. Stop being lazy and do what most other people do- READ THE THREAD!!:rolleyes: If you can't take the time to read the thread then I wonder how you will do in subjects like GMT and SEP... LOTS of reading required and you do need some independence & common sense to get through it. Some people here are frankly, not ready and should not be applying.

I am getting tired of *some* of the new crew coming on board who are bone lazy and do nothing, are here just to only have fun and not work and expect others to pick up their load. If you have that kind of attitude people will not like you here. Yes we can have fun on board but we need to work also. Yes when you're new it's ok to ask questions, that's how we learn. But, when you have been flying three or four months and act like it's your supy flight then you have a problem... and yes there are crew here who are still like that. Working with them is exhausting!

Also, this goes for ANY of you who ask for advice from any of us already working in EK and then decide to throw the information back at us. By all means you don't have to follow it, but instead of telling us so, just say "THANK YOU" :ugh:

Having said that there are some lovely people coming in and they are great to work with, all I am asking is that before runnin here asking for help just try to help yourselves to work it out first and then if you can't do it/find the info you need, come ask here. Honestly these skills will help you when youi get to Dubai.

May26
23rd Mar 2011, 13:11
to ThatRedHatGirl:

As advised by you, i will reply with a simple "thank you", with no further comments.

To ALL:

I just got my invite for the AD on the 26th, I am so nervous but opthimistic and trying to make it a positive experience!!!
Someone else coming to the AD in Bucharest,this Saturday???

Have a great day!!!

Fingerzcrossed
23rd Mar 2011, 13:27
hi all, well i am wondering if there might be any possibility that any one from Lebanon here, who will attend this coming assessment day in 3 april 2011 ?? it will be kind of cool to meet there :) (hope so) :ok:

charnel
23rd Mar 2011, 13:39
I sign with my both hands under what ThatRedHatGirl wrote. I don't want to sound cocky, but before I went to my OD i read every single post in this thread and also every post on two other forums. Then I dug through google searching for any guide, or relevant information regarding Emirates or Cabin Crew interview. Sure, it took great amount of time but it was worth every single minute, because I made it on my very first attempt and now my meds got just accepted so all what's left for me is just waiting.
So i encourage every single one of you to do the same. There is NOTHING like knowledge you searched by yourself, and in the process you gain a lot of confidence, so when you finally appear on OD, AD, FI you know what to do, what to expect. Not mentionig that asking stupid questions here without checking previos posts is just ignorance and waste of time of people who are kind enough to help others here. This is my opinion.

May26
23rd Mar 2011, 14:22
to charnel:

I'm almost half way there with reading this thread :)

I hope I will manage to finish until Saturday morning, as I am also working a lot...but anything for this chance!
Thanks to all and fingers crossed!!!

Have a great day!:)

charnel
23rd Mar 2011, 15:10
But to make it absolutely clear, my post was written generally, from observations, and for sure not to anyone in specific!

kenyan85
23rd Mar 2011, 15:16
First off - congratulations for getting an invite! Your positive attitude has garnered you an opportunity of a lifetime. I hope you realize that getting an invite is VERY HARD and some people wait for up to a year to get invited. That being said, I would like to advise you to read through the forum and pay particular attention to the posts where people describe your typical AD, from morning til evening, and all the way to the FI. This is all you will need for the AD and FI. The rest might not really apply to you.
I would also like to take this opportunity to help you prepare. I am online for the next hour and a half and would be glad to give you some invaluable tips for the AD that might help you succeed. We can chat via Skype or Yahoo Messenger so send me a PM as soon as possible so that we can get on it.

hangulsarang
23rd Mar 2011, 16:53
hello there :)
i may be new here but i've been lurking here a lot,until i made it in my AD and got the GC etc,
my DOJ is on the 11 april,i want to know who has the same doj as me,and did you get your FA,your e-tk and visa or not yet?
we may be friends or even share the same house :ok:

piyal
23rd Mar 2011, 19:38
I am sorry for my ignorance but am a little confused. Do I need to have red lipstick in my formal photos and what kind of full length casual photo required?
have checked the forum but haven't found any clear answer.

GSPS-BRA
23rd Mar 2011, 23:04
Hi, guys!

Have some question and Id appreciate if someone could giveme some tips:

1-Anyone would have a hint of how Id build up a CV for the interview. Read some post saying that EK is focused on customer Services skills. As a matter of the fact, i`ve never worked in as a Customer Service assistant properly. In the other hand, most of the jobs that i`ve had in the past I had to deal with customer, giving diretion or communicating on the phone. Would that make sense for EK?

2- In case i get through the FI does it mean that I`m an EK cabin crew or not? Or does it happen after the medical papers done?

Thanks, folks!

KingofEK
24th Mar 2011, 02:19
[Text speak]

bencat27
24th Mar 2011, 05:19
Well I got my invite to the open day here in Sydney on 9th April. Extremely excited but nervous at the same time, as like many of you, I want this so bad. Having already done a lot of browsing these forums, I'm going to sit here over the next few days and read everything as there is a lot of very useful information hidden amongst all these Emirates Wannabe threads! Anyway other than researching through all of these forums etc, what else would people suggest is a good way to get a good grasp on what to expect on the OD, AD and FI?
Thanks peeps

Milly26
24th Mar 2011, 05:43
Hi Guys,

Can someone give me some info please...
When i upload my medicals on the portal and it has the options there to upload the Opthalmic report, Cervical Smear etc - im not required to do them, when i upload everything else will they remain on the list and keep showing my medicals as incomplete?

kenyan85
24th Mar 2011, 05:52
Advice - just be yourself and RELAX! The recruiters will pick up your wanting it too much and thus you may not even get the call back. Approach this with a cool head (easier said than done). Meditation helps. Google 'brain sync' - you can get something from the brain sync website to help you relax. It works instantly ; sorry if I sound like a telemarketer :}. All in all, if it is meant to be, it shall be. Make sure you also project a happy, bright and energetic persona, make friends at the venue and be helpful with the other applicants. It will come back to you. Cheers

bencat27
24th Mar 2011, 06:25
I know not to come across desperate or anything, I was just merely saying I would love this job. After reading a lot of what this thread says I think it's clear you have to be prepared and know what to expect from the days. Anyway all I wanted to know is any other good sites etc for info.

layla_hart
24th Mar 2011, 06:53
Hi all!

Recently I attended a Final Interview, well, I thought it went TERRIBLE but I guess you can never tell.

Just now though Emirates have called me to ask me to send casual photos asap (I didnt have them on the day) and also that my manager at my current airline will be contacted for a reference.

EEK! I wasn't expecting this - now my question is: Is contacting references of current CC just a formality? As in yes, xyz worked here from this date to this date as cabin crew? Is it for ALL current cabin crew applicants? Or would they not bother if I had been unsuccessful at the interview?

I am so confused, either way i guess my current airline is going to find out I interviewed elsewhere no matter what but I'd just like a clearer idea as I am obviously in an awkward position here where I don't have an offer from Emirates but they would like to contact my current company...

Any ideas or advice out there?

Safe flying always guys x

May26
24th Mar 2011, 07:24
Hi Kenyan85 and thank you so much for your response!!!
Unfoertunately I didn't see it in time last evening, anyway I got home very late from work so....:ugh:i'm sorry we couldn't connect!
Anyway,I already took Friday off in order to prepare at my best for what will come :)

In the meantime, I would like to take the chance to thank everyone around for the great spirit in encouraging us, the EK wannabes!!! It really makes a difference!
Have a beautiful day and the best of luck for anyone attending an OD/AD this Saturday, on the 26th!!!

I will take everything written as serious as I can and try to memorize the main things that can bring me to the FI!
Although I read some messages regarding hair, and sorry if this seems a silly question for you but...If it's longer than shoulders, is it okay to have it as a ponytail?...
Thanks in advance!

zarah.k
24th Mar 2011, 12:07
HI everyone!

I just joined yesterday and I find this forum very helpful! I'm still reaading all the threads but haven't read them all yet. My OD is saturday and I want to have my pictures ready. For the business attire, do you think it as to be black and a skirt or I can put on a gray pants suits? For casual, what would you suggest? I'd like to hear anyone who did their OD/AD in Canada!

Does DOJ stands for date of joining?

Thanks!

Z

Jbrsp11
24th Mar 2011, 15:12
must be business attire, a knee-lengh skirt (don't need to be black...any neutral colors) with skin coloured stockings and if hair is shoulder lengh, ensure it is tied back. (copy and past from EK Doc)...there is a very good picture posted in the previous thread.

Google: cabin crew, flight attendant pics or even through EK web site...appearance is very very important.

Casual...anytype...just use common sense. NO bikinis or that shows too much skin.
Also do not use a group pic...needs to be one that easy to find you..lol..better by yourself on it.

vol876
24th Mar 2011, 16:23
Hey everyone,

My OD is in 2 days and counting! I will keep all of you updated on what it consists of, and how it went on the 26th;)

emirategirl
24th Mar 2011, 16:31
My online status changed from "applied" to "under review" since last year.....no change since then though. Can you tell me what this means!

ThatRedHatGirl
24th Mar 2011, 18:43
May,

that is a good idea to have some extra time to prepare, also it means if anything goes wrong or needs to be re-done (pictures for example, or running out of makeup) you have time to do it.

I'm surprised by the number of people who show up to ODs completely unprepared- by taking at least some time to prepare (whather by reading forum, reasearching possible interview questions or checking your appearance) it will increase your chances.

Also, a tip for everyone attending AD/OD/FI..... KNOW YOURSELF!!! The best thing you can do is be confident and thorough in your working experience and how it relate to the CC job. Even if you have not had "official" paid job, perhaps ask friends/family if they can see some skills you have that you might not know about. You might be nicely surprised!! Just because you weren't paid for something doesn't mean it's not good experience. If you know what your skills are, you won't have to think too much about that side of things during the OD/AD and it wil lhelp the nerves to calm down and be confident :}

Hope this helps!! :)

May26
24th Mar 2011, 21:36
dear ThatRedHatGirl (http://www.pprune.org/members/329885-thatredhatgirl):

Thanks a lot for the great piece of advice and for all your posts!
Actually, to better prepare for this big chance called EK, I took one day off from work and I'll try to take advantage of it, the best way I can!!

No matter the result, I will post here my experience and keep you guys and girls updated...only one day left!!!:ugh:

dear vol876:

my AD is on the same day,but different country!!!
Fingers crossed and let's share the experience no matter the result, after this weekend!

Have a beautiful evening,
May

zarah.k
24th Mar 2011, 22:30
text speak

GalwayGirl
24th Mar 2011, 23:47
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for posting your experiences on here! I had my assessment day and got through to the final interview. I think it went well but here's hoping i'll get the 'golden call' in the coming weeks!
Thanks again!

Jbrsp11
25th Mar 2011, 02:33
the recruiters are very nice and are there to help you...you can take your best photos and they will choose the best one.
They love pics...lol...you have no ideia how many you will end up taking...
I don't remember the numbers but yes you need passport size photos in business attire and smiling (looking like a cabin crew) and casual photos for OD...
I think the full body in business attire is only for AD and must be with suit and smiling..
I suggest you to have all done in advance...if you don't have any nice pics ready you have time to take some...
Photos are very import during the approval process.

Another tip for those going to OD/AD....during group discussion don't talk too much or too little and allow people to talk!
All kind of interview tips from google, youtube and all info that I took from this forum definitely helped me to OD, AD and FI.
Good Luck

May26
25th Mar 2011, 07:56
dear GalwayGirl (http://www.pprune.org/members/353324-galwaygirl) :

Congratulations!!!
Do you have any hints that might help to post overhere?
I have my AD tomorrow and very nervous about it!

Regarding pics: they are according to standard ones that they required but I am not sure if to make new ones today or just leave these ones (I had them taken last year in March, also for an important interview but now I am not sure anymore, AS i HAVE READ THEY ARE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT)...I was thinking that if I get to the last stage, in case that they're not suitable, they will ask me to make new ones?

could ypu please advise?:ugh:

Thanks a lot!!!
May

GalwayGirl
25th Mar 2011, 08:15
The only picture I brought to the first day was one I had taken in a pharmacy the day before, normal clothing with makeup and a nice smile. As I have done the final interview I now have to send several pictures to them and I know that these are very important. But I don't think you need these pictures until the Final Interview.

You need to have one full lenght, against a white background wearing a suit jacket, shirt and skirt to the knee. This could be just the recruiters in ireland, I'm not sure. But if you make it to this stage then they will tell you everything that you will need. I also needed 6 passport sized pictures but you have to smile and look very neat in them. I wore red lipstick and tied my hair in a bun. I went to a photographer to get these done and he gave me a very good price.
Then they needed 2 casual pictures so I took these from facebook, it can just be you in these two pictures.

As regards for hints, just be yourself! Smile and get involved, have an opinion and work like a team with the people around you, they aren't your competition as far as I know Emirates have no quota on who they take. Make friends and get to know people! Good luck! :)

May26
25th Mar 2011, 08:50
dear GalwayGirl:

Thanks a million, I will not stress myself that much about pics and ,as ThatReadHatGirl said, I will focus more on self confidence, pleasant appearance, a good "luggage"about Dubai and the company and a big smile on my face...I don't want to seem silly with what I am going to say now but, as I am born on the 26th, all things and actions on this date. brought me the expected result :)...
Thanks a lot to you and everyone so nice overhere offering invaluable lessons and tips! You guys are great!
May

Jbrsp11:

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us!:D:D:D
Have a great day!

May

ThatRedHatGirl
25th Mar 2011, 10:51
When you go past the AD they give you a sheet of paper saying what documents you need to give them. If you think you need to re-take pictures then you can try pick an FI time that is a couple of days away.

As long as you look professional and the background is as they ask, it should e fine. If photographers are expensive, here is one plan myself and another girl came up with.

In some countries they have those small photo studio in the malls that take "family portrait" and pictures of babies/kids. Sometimes they have specials on photos. Even though it is aimed at families, I have known some girls who asked could they do the photos for the FI there, and the people said yes!!! It was much cheaper than using a modeling photo place and the results were still professional looking. I don't know if they have this everywhere and the price might vary but it could be worthe looking at if you don't have money for a 'proper' photo studio.

Otherwise, enlist a friend to help and take some good ones, in good lighting, against a plain backdrop and get them printed yourself. If the RO doesn't like them she will say so, and you can email new ones later.

Like May said, don't stress too much. Same for casual photos. Pick 4 or 5 your happy with and the RO will take the ones she wants.

Good luck everyone

hangulsarang
25th Mar 2011, 12:43
hi again

i got my FA about a week now but still didn't get my e-tk and visa yet
will it take some time?
and i had been reading around here about what to expect once i'm in dubai so i only wanted to make sure that what i read was right
so once i'm there i will first go to the clinic,to redid the hiv test and the drog test then i'll be talking to the doctor ,is that right?
after that i will start training?? i will be wearing t-shirts and black trousers ?
can someone tell me how many test will i have to pass and how hard it can be? and i will swim with a safe jacket? they won't make me swim without it will they?
i asked a lot of question i'm sorry :sad: but i wanted to know how to make it without being fired, cause i just got the job in my home country as a cabin crew and i left it for ek so i want to make it there since i can't work for the company i left anymore

want_to_fly
26th Mar 2011, 06:47
Hey guys!

Just attended an OD here in Brisbane and the time nearly reads 5 o'clock and I dont think I'll be getting a call back :S But Im hopeful as they say wait until 7pm. This is my 3rd attempt with Emirates and I think I have the weirdest situation out of everyone! First attempt, made it to the FI. Then second attempt, only made it to the group stages and now my third attempt, nearly no call at all! Anyway, just jumping on here and wish everyone all the best with the OD :D

Better luck next time for me perhaps?

God bless :D

imani
26th Mar 2011, 07:25
hi everyone. hope you are all doing great.i have a couple of questions, i had applied for the Nairobi-Kenya AD way back in January and i was not invited. i guess i was a bit too late in applying. then recently i applied for the AD on the 16th of April. both status(s) read 'applied' now the one i had applied for in January reads 'application under review' while the recent one reads 'applied'...i am confused :uhoh:..shouldn't they be checking the recent one?
the other thing is that i have a port wine stain on my cheek and lip but its not too big. is that a big problem with the airline or its okay as long as i can cover it up and in the form of scars do i declare i have a port wine stain?

mimi294
26th Mar 2011, 08:58
To amani
I dont think its advisable to declare that you have it , there is this girl who said she had been at an AD before her six months were thru for reapplying since she had not made it the first time and due to saying it she was told to leave take her documents and wait for the six months to finish.Worse for me i have a tattoo on my arm it cant be visible with uniform but am not sure if there is a time we shall be forced to wear short sleeved blouses, am just keeping my fingers crossed.please tell me anyone are the uniforms for blouses short sleeved?
Am also from Kenya i did apply for the 16th AD of April and am so nervous,i applied this monday(21st)status was "Applied", then by Wed(23rd)it is "Application under review"till now am still waiting:( for it to change soon,anyway wish you all the best, hoping we do make it to the interview:ok:

danny21
26th Mar 2011, 16:13
Hi All,

I have a quick question, I can remember if there is a waiting period between OD's. I attended an OD in Nov 2010 and was not successful. EK has scheduled another one for April 16 2011 by my count this is only 5mths. Is it ok for me to attend of should i wait for the next one.

Thanks for you help
Danny

dandelion
26th Mar 2011, 16:27
want_to_fly - did you get the call? im so sorry about your situation :/ i can only imagine how it feels but don't give up...there were several previous posts regarding people who applied a good number of times until they got chosen so if you really want it try again...unless you got called for tomorrow :) Best of Luck! :)

mimi294 - yes EK uniform does have short sleeve shirts..so it depends on where exactly your tattoo is...maybe it can still be hidden?YouTube - New Emirates Uniforms ...watch this video on youtube or google emirates uniform you can see how the shirt looks like...hope it helps. :-)

Goodluck to everyone attending ODs...keep hoping :)

im still in the waiting game...status changed to approval in progress :hmm: let's see what's next :-)

mimi294
26th Mar 2011, 17:05
Anyone from Kenya attending this AD?my status is still under review and am so anxious!

May26
26th Mar 2011, 22:05
Teddy_86 (http://www.pprune.org/members/351519-teddy_86) :

Dear teddy,
Unfortunately I didn't make it this time although I prepared well and there were only 75 girls to the AD. The recruiters I believe had a rough day today, or maybe just my oppinion...there were girls speaking such a poor english and also being bossy at group discussion and talking when they were not allowed to talk, and still got it through...Tomorrow it will only be the FI for the ones who passed, I'm so sad about it but I have my boyfriend's support and yours too!
The problem is that I do not know what I have done wrong!!:ugh:...I read all posts, the Emirates website, been in time at the venue, smiled a lot, wearing the appropriate clothes, natural make up and nails and adding some value to my group discussion, but nothing too pushy...so...if you guys have any piece of advice for me...please advise!!!
...and for you, Teddy, the best of luck and fingers crossed for ypur OD coming so soon!..maybe my boyfriend will attend it as well, I will pm you if so, so you can exchange info.

Nanu: Congratulations!

Have a great evening guys and girls...
May

want_to_fly
26th Mar 2011, 22:36
Dandelion: unfortunately I didn't get the call :( the recruiter remembered me from our last fi 2 years ago though. She even knew what and where I was working back then! I thought it was a good sign but I guess not? Indont understand why I didn't get the call but I'm definitely attending the next od. They always come to australia nearly every second mont so I know I'll never miss out. Oh well, 4th attempt here I come! Who ever made up the line 3rd tine lucky was a lie haha.

Jbrsp11: are you sure during the od we take casual photos to them? It's always been professional attire either a normal headshot photos or passport photos of yourself

may26: there will be next time. Now you have experienced both things. First what it's like to attend and ad and secondly, how you can never undertand how recruiters choose. I've seen it all, but if you keep the right attitude going and continue to do the right thing, they will notice you. All the best :)

ThatRedHatGirl
26th Mar 2011, 22:37
The most important piece of advice:

DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!

I know it sounds corny but maybe it just wasn't your day. It can be hard to get noticed, especially if as you say the ROs were stressed and had a lot to do. It may be that you were 'good', but because they had so many negative things happen, they just weren't processing it properly. Sucks I know but we are only human.

Also, it can depend on the recruiters.

It's hard to do but I also found that when I looked back the first few time I was rejected, I wanted it toooooo much. They saw that and I am SURE that's why I didn't get through. Just think, confident, but not desperate. It's kind of like dating a man. As soon as he knows he can have you, he kind of loses interest a bit. Play a little bit "hard to get" with EMirates.... as in, your world will not come burning down because they reject you. You can survive, although it sucks. Somehow once you reach this state you relax more... and weirdly enough, everyone I know who got here to this point said the same thing. Finally they got chosen.

It kind of explains a little bit how people who turn up spur of the moment to an OD can make it through to FI. They haven't had time to know just how awesome the job is, so do not have a chance to start wanting it too bad.

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense to you, but above all, try, try again!!!

If you did not go past group, you can go back in 6 months.

want_to_fly
26th Mar 2011, 23:11
I totally agree with you! I do give myself time to vent my anger but I'll move on haha. It'll be my fourth attempt the next time I go, and having been to the fi before has already given me strength and belief that i could make it. Besides, in September emirates will be taking their new fleet and are looking to double their fleet in the next 2 years so there is hope for us all! I think I'm also lucky living in Australia because here we have recruitments every second or third month and all our 5 major cities each get a turn to host it. So I'm pretty blessed to be here :)

All the best to all and God bless!

kenyan85
27th Mar 2011, 01:08
Girl, you read my mind and spoke the truth! No disrespect want_to_fly, but you still want it too bad. As for me, I am beginning to think about this job with a clear head. I find that I have less anxiety and am able to think about the situation with a logical mindset. After all, the company is not going anywhere, I have good genes so I look and will continue to look great (so I'm not worried about getting older), and the world is not about to end. Plus I'm in a great relationship, and have a loving family. I always say that if EK rejects you, then they have no idea what they are missing out on, and it's their loss. A year ago, I was killing myself with anxiety as the AD grew closer, but now everytime I think about my upcoming AD, I think about the good things in my life and this takes me to a place of Zen where I am able to think about EK with a cool head. At the end of the day, it is just a job, and destiny must take its course, ultimately.

Thanks ThatRedHatGirl :D

want_to_fly
27th Mar 2011, 02:05
I think you are right, I think I want this too much. That's why I am allowing myself to think things clearly and try not to act too desperate. Like you, I think I have blessed with good genes and I dont look my age. God is too good for us haha.

I find a lot of hope and encouragement from people I have met in Dubai. Some cabin crew and pilots I have met said that I would be very suitable for this job and that they would like to replace some immature existing crews anyday. I think Mari and RedHatGirl have mentioned that some new recruits in EK they have come across dont show appreciation just how blessed they are to get this job, and that they complain straight away and take things too lightly and have a 'i dont care' kind of attitude. Though I wish I could trade places with them, and I can't control what recruiters look for. But I just wish they could see the passion inside of me instead of being judged as being too desperate.

Just like RedHatGirl says, treat it like you're on a date, you dont want to be too forefront with everything! Good luck to all of us :D

May26
27th Mar 2011, 07:41
want to fly: thanks a lot but I still feel miserable...also because all my friends went today to FI and I didn't....I couldn't sleep either so...but anyway, I will keep my wings opened and hopefully that September will be more appropriate for my chances to become true!

ThatRedHatGirl: I think your advice was maybe 99% for me and I want to thank you for it:D....it really points out maybe mistakes that were not seen as mistakes by me...the fact that I wanted it so much and went with such big hopes to the event...and you're perfectly right, the girls that had no idea and were telling around that if they pass, they will give a second thought to leaving the country, as they have a good job here, were picked!:ugh:...although I don't find it so fare,as I really want to go and didn't have even the chance to get to tell them this...anyway,today's also crappy for me:{...maybe tomoorow, things will start ease a little bit...
Have you also mentioned that you didn't make it from the first shot? Can you get a little more detailed about it? I think it would encourage me and others reading your post not to give up because there still are chances!!!..

Have a beautiful day,
May

layla_hart
27th Mar 2011, 08:02
Hi guys,

seems my last post re: references got lost in amongst the trials and tribulations of the recent global assessment days.

I totally agree - I have found every assessment day I have attended to be excruciating but somehow I have landed my airline job and love love LOVE flying so please guys do keep trying it's all worth it once you start welcoming passengers onboard your first operating flight, its like opening night for a big broadway play! such a buzz!

Anyway, I had my FI recently and Emirates contacted me a few days later to ask to send casual photographs asap (I didnt have them on the day and was flying for some days after) and also that they would like to contact my Manager at current airline for a reference... I just wanted to know if this is just protocol for current CC applicants? Or is it a sign that they are looking seriously at my application? Since I will now have to have an awkward meeting with my manager and tell them, "yes i have interviewed with another company, but I may or may not be resigning because they haven't actually made me an offer" - I suppose I'd just like to know what my chances are at this stage.

If they just contact references for everybody then I can play it down as just a speculative application, exploring opportunities - but if, as my boyfriend seems to think, that this means they are taking my application further by contacting me and current airline then I can have a more serious chat with my manager.

I feel torn as I dont want to let anyone down or put myself in a bad position at work if it turns out they reject me!

hope someone can help - has anyone had references checked and then been rejected?

Appreciate any advice and support :)

safe flying always xx

mimi294
27th Mar 2011, 08:37
Thanks so much Dandelion, i will opt to remove my tattoo its on my arm but incase i get invited i will use plaster to hide it,,,do you have an idea if they are so strict on short sleeve too at the interview,if not i think a plaster would do.i hope i do get invited for the interview.fingers crossed!;)

dandelion
27th Mar 2011, 10:15
mimi294 - you're welcome...for your OD and FI you should be wearing a suit...so it's not going to show because you will have a blazer! And they are not going to ask you to take it off!
So go to the OD if you make it till the end of the rounds they will ask you if you have any tattoos ...if you will be removing it then just say you don't have any!

May26 - this is also my 2nd time trying (both times made it to the FI) first time got a sad rejection email and just like you i was disappointed and heartbroken but you need to keep going in the meantime :) you only have to wait 6 months (always think positive) while others have to wait a whole year! You got many good advices here :) and if i have to add one more for you...do not make something your whole world because if it's gone..you have nothing! So have others plans besides Emirates (that is what people mean when they are telling you 'you shouldn't want this too much' :-)) I hope this helps.
Right now i am waiting for (hopefully) the golden call! BUT i have other plans just in case. Even though deep down yes i would really love to get this!

want_to_fly - So sorry to hear this:sad: i think you were just unlucky to have the same RO ...sometimes you just cannot get how and why they choose/eliminate candidates! Best of luck for next time! God bless you too ...keep believing :-)

Milly26
27th Mar 2011, 11:01
Layla,

Its not protocol for them to contact every applicants references. I just recently got my GC and they never made contact, same with about 4 other people i know of. My guess is its either a random check they do every now and again, or they just need a bit more clarification on your work experience and persona etc. i would at this stage, pass it off to your manager as a speculative application, that way you if you are successful you can go from there.:O

zarah.k
27th Mar 2011, 13:17
Thank you very much for your tips!

Unforunately, I had already taken the pics. I have to redo them and bring it to my FI.

Recruitment in Montreal :

OD: 60-65
A lot of men. Some people came in late, like 1-2 hours after. They probably read it in the newspaper and thought it was a walk-in open day like other canadian airline companies do here.

First and second AD: 30-40

FI : 23
Still a lot of men. At least 7. They said they were surprised so many got this far because they thought it would be less and had only 16 papers (pckage and invitation letter) They aloso mentionned last year, it was quite less. I heard the previous year, not more than 5 persons in Canada made it to Dubai.

I'll keep you guys posted after my FI on my experience in more details. For now, the lucky 23 will have their interviews conducted over 3 days, from today until tuesday. :)))))

Keep smiling everyone!

sophia edwards
27th Mar 2011, 17:15
Hello guys can anyone help Im in the process of getting my medicals sorted and its quite a drawn out process just wondered if you dont get everything downloaded in the two weeks given do they delay your departure????

Teddy_86
28th Mar 2011, 07:05
Dear May, I'm so sorry for you! You have to know that it depends on the recruiters, I believe that if I had other recruiters on my AD and FI, I would be CC now! I know that it is a kind of desperate at the beginninig, but you will get over it, I'm sure. You have to wait just for 6 months, it's nothing in comparison with 1 year. Just don't give up!
Hug

want_to_fly
28th Mar 2011, 09:00
Did emirates somehow change their rules for the od? Recruiters such as Chelsea and Alana both said during the od that should we not make it pass the od we will have to wait 6 months. All I understand is that if one would make it pass the od and not pass the group stage then the 6 months rule do apply. I wonder why the change? And has anyone heard this new rule as well? Much insight is appreciated :)

Teddy_86
28th Mar 2011, 09:21
I think that if you don't pass the OD you can reapply whenever you want and you don't need to wait for 6 months. But what does it mean that you did't pass the OD? Because in Bulgaria, on the OD we had to write an essay and we had 2-3 min interview with peple form MT Globul Experts (not even from Emirates) and I think everybody passed that stage, because it was extremely easy! Maybe in your country the OD is different...

want_to_fly
28th Mar 2011, 09:33
I meant if you didn't make it pass the first day of the open day. Yeah initially if it you didn't make it past the open day you can reapply again whenever you want. But when I attended the open day last week, our recruiters said if you didn't make it pass today you will have to wait 6 months. So Im not sure if I should attend another OD they have in my city again which is in 2 months?...

chanty08
28th Mar 2011, 11:56
I have been following this forum since 2008. I first applied with Emirates that year, made it to the f.i and after three weeks of waiting i got the rejection letter. I tried in 2010 and didn't make it past the first stage. I never gave up and applied again this year and again i made it to the f.i. Now i have been waiting for almost four weeks and the only update i have is the change from application under review to under review last week. We were 17 girls in all and last week three were called. Im still waiting and hopefully i will get my golden call soon..good luck to everyone else waiting

tatimari
28th Mar 2011, 18:47
Hello Eveyone. I just wanted to share my experience with the Open Day in Torrance, aka LA. It started at 9am and 88 people attended. The day started with Q&As and watching a few videos on Dubai and the lifestyle of cabin crew. After, we all turned in our resumes along with a picture, any picture was do-able (passport or 4 by 6, casual or business). We were all given reference numbers and seperated into 4 groups of roughly 20 people. The first two groups sat in two seperate circles getting to know the person on our right. We had to find out where they wanted to travel if they had only 24 hours and why. While doing this we met with the RO and did the reach test as well as talked a little bit about what we are doing now and our resume. After everyone finished the reach test we had another discussion topic which was what 3 new destinations should Emirates travel to in the USA. During this time the ROs did a bit of observing how we interacted but mostly went over the resumes together, I assme. Then, 3 people from each group was to present one of the destinations chosen in front of everyone. I chose to present, Miami, and it wasn't as nerve-wracking as I thought it would be. After, the next two groups went in and did the same as we did. Then we all waited for the first round of cuts. We were given pieces of paper letting us know whether we continue or not. Of the 88 people just over 20 people made it to the next round.

Luckily, I made it. At this point, the people that didn't complete all of their schooling in America had to do an English test. While that was going on we were sperated into three groups of roughly 7 and did another group discussion. This time the ROs kept a keen eye on us and observed how we interacted with each other very carefully. We had to decide as a group who are the 5 people we would chose to represent the 21st Century. We then each had to explain 1 person each and why. However, since we had more than 5 people in our group I had to chose 2 people of the 5 that should represent the 21st Century and why I narrowed it down to those 2. It's not as nerve-wrecking as it may seem. Each group went through this and then we waited for the final cut. Of the roughly 20 of us we were narrowed down to 14 people. I made it to the FI the following day. We had to fill out some paperwork and told what to bring the next day. We also were emailed a personality test to complete as well.

Yesterday was my FI. I was scrambling to get my 6 passport size photos done prior to my interview. Fortunetely, there was a CVS nearby and I got it done. I was a bit nervous prior to my interview but once I went in and sat down with the ROs (yes, we interviewed with both ROs at once, 2 to 1) my nervousness vanished and I was calm. I gave them whatever documents and pictures I had and the questions began. They asked about my education and my plans as far as that. However, most of my questions were about my work experience. If you have extensive customer service experience then it should be fairly easily unless your lying or something. For me, it was just like having a conversation with two people, it was natural and not intimidating at all. Some questions they asked is describe a time you had a hectic day and how you managed, a time when a colleague took advantage of you and at time when you received negative feedback. Of course there was other questions but those are just a few examples. They like detailed answers as well. They want to know the situation, how you handled it and the outcome. Overall, I am happy with how my interview went and it is now just a waiting game.

s.a.m
28th Mar 2011, 20:32
good luck :ok:!!! i hope you make it !! thank you for sharing your experience!! i just wanted to know ,did they ask you about tatto or scars?? :}

piyal
28th Mar 2011, 20:39
Thank You for the detailed description of the interview process and the few FI questions that you shared. They are all really valuable. I really stumble on the situational and behavioural type questions.

All the best!!!!

tatimari
29th Mar 2011, 00:09
Not a problem. I have found this forum to be very beneficial when it comes to knowing what will happen on the OD so it is my pleasure to help. When we finished our last group discussion (the 3 small groups) we each went one by one to the ROs and answered a few questions which included whether we had tattoos or piercings. A few people that had tattoos that would not be visible while wearing the uniform made it to the FI, so no worries.

I have exchanged information with a few other people that made it to the FI so we could keep track of who makes it and not, how our FIs went and to just build friendships. I noticed that two other ladies were given a logic test, one prior to her interview and another after. What does this mean? I wasn't asked to participate in completing a logic test (the one with patterns and what-not).

want_to_fly
29th Mar 2011, 04:12
Tatimari:The logic test is a mystery to all of us. Last time on my FI I had to do one and some people didn't. There was a mix understanding of why they got us to do it. Some say it's to see if we could use the time wisely to solve a problem, others said the recruiters just wasn't sure if we're good enough and they gave us the logic test just to see how well we cope. My friend didn't end up doing it got the job, whereas my other friend who had to do it got the job. So you can never really tell... btw, congratulations for making it this far. All the best and hopefully you get the golden call soon!

fallen_angel
29th Mar 2011, 13:28
hi guys :)

i would just like to ask bout ek's walk-in application. im planning to go to dubai this year and apply personally for ek. does ek accept filipino applicants on tourist visa? also.. ive read in ek's website that "cv drop-off for candidates fluent in written and spoken Arabic only." im not fluent in arabic language. im worried ek might not let me apply cause im not arabic speaker. :( please enlighten me bout this guys.. if anyone of you has any idea. pleasssseeee.. :) cause i really really want to be cabin crew for ek so bad. hope to hear from you soonest. thanks much :ok:

JewelF
29th Mar 2011, 19:00
Arabic is only needed for (i'm guessing here) Dubians!:D hahahhahah

Seriously though, once you're applying in Dubai you have to be able to speak and write arabic. Anywhere else, English is needed. I suspect its probably because the Dubai ROs speak Arabic. Never really thought about it much as I cant get to a Dubai OD anyways.

Best of luck to all of us. I'm counting down my days here guys and i will post my experience! hoping i bring good news:D

Coco05
29th Mar 2011, 22:24
Congrats on making it all the way to the FI. Now just have to wait for the golden call huh. I did the interview in Torrance as well last september and they have not change anything at all on how they conduct the interviews. Pretty spot on. Hope to see you here soon :)

smashnixnay
30th Mar 2011, 01:07
Newcastle upon Tyne - Marriott Hotel, Gosforth
Open Day 27th November 2010
Assessment Day 28th November 2010
Final Interview 1st December 2010
Golden Call 14th March 2011
Date of Join 9th May 2011

mimi294
30th Mar 2011, 05:54
if you dint make it on the open days the ADs......don worry open a new account just change sensitive details like name,,,,there you have a new reference numer....you never know your luck.....

mimi294
30th Mar 2011, 12:35
true to that,you need to include lotsa prayers you dont find same recruiters:=

SHEILACC
30th Mar 2011, 13:22
Hey everybody,

Has anyone from Kenya received their invitation for the AD in April?

Congratulations to all that have made it through. We shall join you all soon.

Cheers :ok:

fallen_angel
30th Mar 2011, 17:03
yeah you have a point. hehe. :) anyway, how bout etihad's walk-in application? do you have an idea? ey very rarely goes to the philippines to conduct hiring.. so im worried it would take years before they come back here for a new hiring. T_T

P.S. ive heard some "news" that ek/ey freeze their hiring for filipino applicants. :ugh: how true is this? :confused: thanks much for the info :ok:

Coco05
30th Mar 2011, 17:23
Unfortunately, they are only accepting CVs from Arabic speakers in Dubai. I am pretty positive about it because my friend went to drop off his CV and he didn't even get to do so because you have to be an Arabic speaker.

And that is what I heard as well,that they freeze the hiring in Philippines. But if you have a different passport/nationality then it's fine.

I know because I am filipino btw :)

bencat27
30th Mar 2011, 17:55
Hey guys, so just wondering who else will be going to the Sydney open day on the 9th April?

emiratesgrl
30th Mar 2011, 22:05
Hi guys, firstly good luck in chasing your dream!! I think I meet all the minimum requirements except for the bracers on my teeth :oh: They are porcelain and barely seen and will be taken off by december.. Assessment day in on 8th of May.. Will it be a problem for emirates ? Does anyone know?

silverstuff
30th Mar 2011, 22:12
Hey!
I'm a guy and I applied for Emirates assessment day in Nairobi on April 16/17, like 3 weeks ago but haven't got an invitation yet! Most people I know already have invitations while my status just says "Applied"!

Should I just give up lol?

loowla
31st Mar 2011, 05:33
i am doing medicals for another airline not ek and the thoracic comments the radiologist indicated slight muscle curvature due to muscle spasms :sad:. . .i didn't even know i have them because i have never felt them. . .do you think i should ask the radiologist to change comments? or will i be victimized because of something that is beyond my control. i asked him how its treated he told me only several sessions of massages could help :O :O :O. which i am not complaining about :} :} :}. an excuse to go to the spa is always welcome

TRIPERA
31st Mar 2011, 06:46
Hello everyone!

For those who failed, don't worry and keep trying!

I applied first time on october 2009 and I reached FI! i couldn't belive it....but then, after 7 awfull waiting weeks, i received the rejection e-mail...i still don't know why!

The second time I tried was in october 2010... what was strange in this opportunity were the people who applied and reached the FI (i was rejected on final stage!!!!) .... for example, there was a girl who was dressed in a strange way, not formal, with a green skirt, a pair of short boots, a red shirt, not even maked-up and her hair was a totaly mess...it is said that for the cabin crew post it is required to be kind to other people...well, from the moment we entered to the hotel to the moment i left, i only saw her reading a book! not talking to the others or even paying attention on what we said...strange... but well, probably that thime the recruiters were looking for shy people, because all of those who talked and smile a lot were eliminated along the stages!

Last time I applied was in in march 2011. I weere unsuccesfull in the first stage! jajaja
this time the recruiters were kind, but there were one i coulddn't understood a word!! she speaks inwards, and when she called me to make me some questions, i had to ask her to repeat almost all! that's why I probably didn't succeed...

I WILL BE an Emirates cabin crew...so i'll try until i have my caqui uniform!!

Best wishes for all of you, and specially for MARI, whose posts are very usefull!!!

kate83
31st Mar 2011, 08:11
I was wondering if any body could help me. I have applied to emirates and my application is under review. i used to live in spain but have recently moved back to the uk. I have changed my details online but i keep getting invited to open days in spain. Could any body give me a contact number so i could phone up and explain that i cant attend these in spain. Any help or advice would be much apreciated. thanks

fallen_angel
31st Mar 2011, 08:17
I see.. youre a fellow filipino.. but youre also an american citizen right? hehe. ive read some of your posts here :O Too bad i dont hold any other passport/nationality except filipino. :p PLUS i aint fluent with arabic language. lol. :}

Anyway, thanks for the info that youve shared with me. Now, im thinking bout applying online on ek's career site instead of walking-in. :) Ill just have to wait then til ek would conduct an od here in the philippines (hopefully this june... pleasseeee) :ok:

P.S. how bout etihad? do you know their application process? like ive said in my earlier post... ey havent been to philippines for quite some time now.. it makes me antsy that it might take few more yearsss til they visit us for new hiring. :uhoh:

imani
31st Mar 2011, 08:26
HI Silver stuff. i also applied three weeks ago and haven't received an invite yet:sad:. i am thinking of giving up but my determined heart does not allow me. i think we should just be patient. it two weeks to go... :)

blessings:)

Montreal76
31st Mar 2011, 10:20
I flew with a few non arabic crew who applied in Dubai because they happened to be there when the recruitment was happening ! Requirements in the open day are clear !

Good Luck

zarah.k
31st Mar 2011, 11:13
When you go to the FI they make you sign a letter where it asks you if you have braces and indicates that it not allowed. I'm not sure if they would allowed if people can't see it. If you try, the worst that can happen is a no answer.

Guys, check this article with helpful and accurate informations about being a cabin crew for EK.

Rich Dubai Flirts With Hard Times, But Its Airline Is Still Flying High - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122877609256789273.html)

Highlights:
- Redlipstick must be retouched every 15 minutes.
- Unwed pregnancy are forbidden and subject to dimissal : premarital sex is forbidden in Dubai.
- Weight requirements : if an attendant gains too much weight, he or she is put on a diet by the airline's resident nutritionists.
- Smoking and dreaking in uniform is forbidden
- Openly gay men need not to apply : homosexuality is illegal in Dubai.
- And more : read on. (:

As our ROs said, EK is recruiting very aggressively. Dates of OD and AD are now posted until June. They are coming back to Canada in May.

fallen_angel
31st Mar 2011, 11:42
Hi :)

If i may ask.. do you have any idea bout their application? i mean when did they apply? :confused: you see... presently ek only accept walk-in applicants who are fluent with arabic language. :sad:

Anyway, thanks in advance :O

JewelF
31st Mar 2011, 13:24
You guys know that you can simply walk into an OD right? Not the AD, but the OD. Even without the invite, just go to it. The AD you cannot walk in to, you must be invited. Don't give up! What you guys should do is start preparing yourselves from now by reading the entire thread. If you had, you'd know that you could walk into the OD without the invite.:8

mimi294
31st Mar 2011, 13:50
That is an AD in Kenya,,,,that is why they are talking about waiting for invites....just like me:hmm:anyway lets keep our fingers crossed all the Nairobians....rather all the Kenyans:cool:

iio78
31st Mar 2011, 13:54
hello guys question
if you applied on line and you got an invitation for an OD
event is this mean that automatically you are invited for the
AD next day?

Timlim127
31st Mar 2011, 16:47
Okay been reading this forum for months already.
Any idea if Emirates is still hiring Filipino Citizen CC?
Been waiting for months already and so far EK has never been in Manila since 2011 started.

I was thinking of going to Toronto Open Day on May 28, but will my being a Filipino Citizen decrease my chance of getting hired?

Replies will be greatly appreciated.

zarah.k
31st Mar 2011, 17:19
During OD or AD (not sure because we had both the same day) they will ask you some questions, i.e. Where are you from? What is your nationality? Do you hold a Canadian passport?

If you make it to the FI, you will fill some papers, including your nationality. Since you don't have the answer to your question, travelling all the way to Canada to attend OD is quite expensive to find the answer...

Best of luck : I really hope your dream of becoming CC will come true!

Z

emiratesgrl
31st Mar 2011, 18:14
Thanks for the reply, zarah.k ! You are kind. Isn't FI a bit late for bracer check? I guess you're right the worst can happen is a 'no' answer and I will be able to try my luck 6 months later.

Do you know if the passport is a must in the application process? Mine is outdated. I am planning to renew it if I get the golden call? What do you think guys?

Fingerzcrossed
31st Mar 2011, 19:24
hi everyone .. i need you to help me through estimating few ideas about what may the written subject test about, what are the most asked topics that most come during the English test??? thanks in advance :)

Montreal76
31st Mar 2011, 19:32
Yes on paper there are a lot of laws , the golden rules are :

Don't get caught if you are pregnant and not married

Don't get caught in an affair , basically don't screw with the locals lol

and Gay men ! well ... I have not seen a gayer city then Dubai ... a straight couple not married have more chances of ending up in prison then 2 men kissing ! FACT lol

Straight male cabin crew ? really ! All joke aside, Dubai needs you more then you need it ! FACT

Now of course if you gonna be stupid and get drunk everynight ! well you might as well keep your suitcase packed !

... and keep in mind now that recruitment is back at full mode again, Golden Calls are gonna be long in waiting ! an idea, Emirates hired on average +-400 crew per month last year ! and they are finishing up building another big concourse !

Patience my friends ! all in due time :)

Good Luck

May26
31st Mar 2011, 19:41
hey everyone and good evening!
...few days missing, because of work...I have passed over the painfull weekend but still full of regrets...anyway, I saw a lot of questions overhere regarding the OD/AD...manytimes, as in Ro, if there appear a lot of persons at the OD (like 600!!!...and I'm not kidding at all), it may be transformed in AD (meaning that they take all the CV's but make a cruel cut and remain with up to (maximum) 100...I believe anyway that this was last year, as starting summer 2010 they only came for AD through an apointed agency (it is also on their site stated).
Regarding the english test, I have to say that it is not hard at all but there are tricky questions meant to misslead you. You just need to pay attention at tenses and everything will be just fine. There is also an essay, but that depends.

Finally, as I didn't make it this time, me and my boyfriend decided to try for Qatar,as they are coming next Saturday (th of April) in Bucharest.
We know the rumours, we know that it's not EK, but we had quite a surprise when two different people (friends, one still at QR, one back at home after one year) told us that that the money difference is not that big, the rules and regulations anyway are, but if you're more like the "indoor' person, you can be just fine overthere...we will see how it goes :)

Teddy, how are you???
I keep fingers crossed for next Saturday, as we will also attend QR interview here in Buch!...Hope it will end better than the EK one!!!:rolleyes:

Hugs for everyone!

guys, another question: I have applied also for EY (Etihad) and just a few days ago received an invitation for an AD (for which you register online). I did choose the April 26th in Holland but I have some doubts if going or not after reading EY thread....from over 68 persons to the AD (from all over Europe) 5 were selected for FI and just 2 made it to Abu Dhabi.... the numbers are a little dissapointment for me and I am also thinking of the money issue...
I felt terrible when failing here, where I didn't spend a penny to participate and i just try to imagine how it would be to fail it overthere!!!:ugh:horror!!!
Anyway, we will see how it goes with QR and also EK (just for my boyfriend as I have to repsect the 6 months rule:{) on May 7th.

Have a great evening !

Montreal,

Your post makes totally sense with what I've heard from our friends in Dubai, living and working there for EK!!!:D

Montreal76
31st Mar 2011, 20:00
Try to be positive with getting it with Emirates, Doha the city in which Qatar Airlines is based is very strict, in Dubai male crew and female crew can over night at each others, in Doha you can't !

Etihad would be the next best thing after Emirates and Qatar your last choice, But Emirates should be your goal lol ... but be objective, Life here away from our normal everyday life and BEING is not for everyone ! Fine is great job with lots of perks, but when not flying the reality of living in a place foreign, very foreign away from home sets in and then you start questioning if the job was worth it ! I'm single and enjoy the bachelor life so this job and lifestyle suits me :)

Good luck !

May26
31st Mar 2011, 20:25
thank a lot, I know you are right.... I also feel it in the bottom of my soul but...i was soooo dissapointed when on the 26th, I went totally prepared, 100% opthimistic, looking like advised , having a great atitude, smiling a lot, not making "too much noise" on group discussion but epressing respectfully my opinion and still didn't make it:(....while, on the other hand, the girls dressed unappropriate (like jeans, red skirt, black shirt, no make up, no hair arranged - probably after a rough friday night, coming late, with no CV's (some of them) and also stating their opinion loud and allmost fighting with the others made it to the end of the end a.k.a. to the FI, on the very next day...so....I do not know anymore about what they are looking for....everyone tells me I really look and act like a cc, I have great customer experience, FLUENT in 5 languages (two of them mother tongue) and still didn't make it...

...or maybe, as ThatRedHatGirl said, it wasn't my day and the RO"s definitely weren't my type 9or better said, i wasn't theirs:oh:)
anyway, I will take your advice and not loose faith, as I also dream of being an EK cabin crew member and I really hope that my dream is not that many nights away:O...

are you currentlyworking as a cc for EK?

May

Montreal76
31st Mar 2011, 20:33
Yep CC sind Dec 08, I too thought I would not make it as I was 32 at the time ! and people have their own personal agenda, the recruiter probably did not get you and related to the other girls , who knows, don't question life, move on their will be other occasions, and if you dont make it then , well maybe it was not for you, but dont give up on the first punch :) sometimes going a second time gets their attention :)

Good Luck

May26
31st Mar 2011, 20:38
wow, thanks a lot for the answer and congratulations!...you really know what you are talking about and posts like yours make me believe that I really do the right thing in trying over again!!!
Have a beautiful evening and many many safe flights :D
May

zarah.k
31st Mar 2011, 21:58
It's my pleasure. (:

Even if you don't have a passport at FI, it's not a problem. They will tell you, if you have a passport which expires in less than 7 months, you leave the space blank and get a new one then update them with the info.

ThatRedHatGirl
31st Mar 2011, 23:16
I went totally prepared, 100% opthimistic, looking like advised , having a great atitude, smiling a lot, not making "too much noise" on group discussion but epressing respectfully my opinion and still didn't make it:(....while, on the other hand, the girls dressed unappropriate (like jeans, red skirt, black shirt, no make up, no hair arranged - probably after a rough friday night, coming late, with no CV's (some of them) and also stating their opinion loud and allmost fighting with the others made it to the end of the end a.k.a. to the FI,

THat was pretty much what happened at my first ever OD, too.

So I just thought, "I'll show you!!!"

Now look where I am.

Don't give up!! :cool:

Coco05
31st Mar 2011, 23:40
yes i am :) You got that right!
Yeah apply on the website,why not. My friend back in the PI has been waiting as well for EK to conduct an OD there. Just gotta wait I guess. But new aircrafts will be arriving and they will need lots of crew so somehow they should come back there to hire people.

I don't really know about Etihad to be honest but cmon,EK is better. Lol!

TRIPERA
1st Apr 2011, 02:31
I got very dessappointed too through the AD's i went! as I posted before, those who didn't smile, were totally informaly dressed, talked very agressive and loud and had no make up or didn't know how to maintain a conversation in english ARE IN DUBAI!!! last AD, the girl who was next to me asked me how to answer the questions the recruiters were probably going to ask her...and guess what...she is now flying!

But if it is your dreem, keep trying...we will obtain it some day!
I heared that some people try it 6 7 .. 12 times! and they got it... i think it depends a lot on the recruiters, how they see you... i am convinced that they cannot see in a couple of hours if you are or not the ideal for the post...it's good luck!

But the important thing is never to give up if it is really what you want!

good luck :)

asiral26
1st Apr 2011, 03:09
hello there,
i just read your threads and wonna say to you good luck, and hope you will be cc in EK, EY or Qatar!!
I had interview with Qatar in February - but i didn't get to FI:ugh:
anyway now i really wish to try with EK and EY!!!

finger cross for you May!

imani
1st Apr 2011, 06:53
hi JewelF. hope you are great. thanks for your response but unfortunately or fortunately EK never holds ODs in Kenya it only ADs so we have to wait for an invitation.

two weeks to go to the event and still no invite... :( call me the biggest optimist or fool but i'm still hoping and waiting :ok:

blessings

zarah.k
1st Apr 2011, 09:12
You are absolutely right and displaying a good attitude! You are already motivated and that's what it takes. Becoming a CC as always been my childhood dream and the first time I applied I wasn't chosen but I'm flying now. So don't get discouraged. Sometimes there is a reason, sometimes we can't explained. Keep thinking positive and you will get it for sure.

If ever you go for an interview, remember the interviewer might ask different questions, but he/she will always try to look for answer to those:

- Can you do the job?
- Are you the sort of person they can work with?
- How motivated are you?

Try to think about these when you prepare your examples to answer behavioural questions.

Best of luck and keep smiling, darling!

Z

Daisy Akinyi
1st Apr 2011, 12:57
Hey..just read your post for May26...its quite encouraging. I have also had the same ambition since childhood, i might have not made it the F1 of my 1st ever airline interview with EK...twas such a fulfilling moment. I know my not making it to the finals was because i was rather too confident but since then, think i have learnt a great deal...it was a simple mistake on my side but it cost me a lot,..as its said...a small leak will sink a great ship but at the same time.. i believe people learn from their mistakes and i haven't given up...my 6months will end on June 13th and i will be able to apply again and who knows...it might just be a golden opportunity...the only problem is that in my country, you have to wait for an invite for the AD but still that does not mean am shuttered...am patient and i will wait.

To everybody else:
Jus in case you went through the same as me, don't give up...and continue trying..who knows where your luck lies? everybody out there i believe there is always another chance in life with everything that we do...it might just be you chance this time round...cheers!!!!!!!!!!

zarah.k
1st Apr 2011, 13:05
The Golden rule is to remain patient. In the meantime, just be sure to have a plan B (that will help you not to think about it to much) and continue to have fun! Your time will come and you will shine! I'm also waiting for my GC, so I know what waiting feels like.

Z

wuni
1st Apr 2011, 13:12
[Text speak]

zarah.k
1st Apr 2011, 13:40
You should only update your profile and wait. You have to make sure that you respond to the basic requirements. Also, understand that they receive thousands of applications every month and the reason why they choose someone else over you is out of your control. But it shouldn't keep you from trying again since you probably noticed they are looking for 4000 new CC for 2011-12.

If it's not done yet, I would suggest you to read all the thread : you will find answers to all your questions and more. But don't hesitate if you have any questions, we're all here to help and support each other.

Z

baccrat
1st Apr 2011, 13:46
Montreal... Your last post was quite inspiring! I'm waiting to reapply after getting my rejection last year!

I have a doubt...

Montreal, Theredhatgirl, Mari... Can anyone say if is it advisable to admit that you have been in a Final Interview before... I mean... Mentioning the exact place and date. I've known that attend a FI doesn't help you to reach FI again in your next OD, because many people I know have reapplied and admitted it and they never made it to the FI again... So knowing that this is not an advantage... Maybe it's better just not to mention it because if in my last FI there was a reason not to hire me... I don't want the new recruiters go and give it another look ;)

To shorter the story... Does the people really make it after 2 or 3 Final Interviews? I have possibilities of being hired if I make it better NOW? This is worrying me lately, in spite i'm a very optimistic most of the time.

Timlim127
1st Apr 2011, 13:57
Thanks Zarah. I hope to work with EK soon.

Are you currently with EK? In which country did you have your interview?

wuni
1st Apr 2011, 14:03
[Text speak]

zarah.k
1st Apr 2011, 14:14
I'm not working for EK yet. I just did my FI in Canada last month.

Timlim127
1st Apr 2011, 16:32
oh i see so you must be waiting for the GC. I wish you the best.

Can you share your interview experience? Did you do it in Toronto?

Appreciate it

ally23x
2nd Apr 2011, 05:54
If I were you I would tell them that I attended another interview a while ago. This would prove perseverence and a true will to work for them. Also you need to prove to them that you changed whatever the reason they did not wanted you the first time. There are lots of people that I know that succeded in their 2nd/3rd attempt. Also if you think you would feel better not telling them, do so, but be prepared in case they ask you...because it might be that you will have the same trainers or simply they will check you in the sistem, and it is better to be prepared :D

Good luck!

fallen_angel
2nd Apr 2011, 06:16
@Coco05: Ive read that article bout EK's new financial year (2011/2012).. and that theyre gonna hire 4000+ cabin crews. :ok: I hope this will materialize soonest. I cant wait. lol. :p Anyway, thanks much for the info. :) Wish me lots of luck... weeeee :O

@Timlim: PM sent :)

baccrat
2nd Apr 2011, 06:56
Ally23x Thanks for your response!!! Yeah... The thing is that i'm sure they will ask me about when and WHERE was my FI (I think they ask you in the paper they give you during the screening)... So if they ask me directly... they will locate my profile easily if they want...

So it's great to know that people made it in their second-third attempt.. Because I know many people that reached the FI after 4 attempts and made it.... But never heard of one who made it after reapeating the final interview... Because for example... Where I think I screwed in my interview... It's something about personality... So, you are, or not... But can't be improoved or changed in one year :(.

I know I read somewhere in THEIR PAGE (I think It was in their privacy policies, or in FAQ's, but can't locate it now) that they WON'T use ur previous feedbacks in future applications, so this would not decrease yoru chances if you have been rejected, that it was just for administrative purposes... But, well... :P I don't believe that point that much. hahahaha.

want_to_fly
2nd Apr 2011, 08:32
Baccrat: I agree with ally23x if you tell them you have attended previous interview including details of when and where FI was will show you are interested in working for the company. What they will see in your preseverance is that you are passionate about working for Emirates. However, my story is a bit different... I reached FI before and didn't get the job. The recruiter then came back a year later and I attended the interview. She recognised me immediately and knew who I was and even addressed me by name before I could even re-introduce myself. I thought it was a good thing and thought for sure I made a good impression if she remembered my name. But you know what, I didn't even get a call back for the next day.. I didn't know what I did wrong but all I know is I'm going to keep on trying and do the best I can next time. In fact, they're coming back to Brisbane next month! Anyone going?

Deesbz
2nd Apr 2011, 09:42
Mari,

I know that here in not the best place to ask about accommodation for airport stuff. I have braces right now (last time -an year ago- I asked you about teeth who are not ok ) and for the moment I tried to EK Ground Staff, until I can try cabin crew.

can you please tell me some information about accommodation for the stuff in the airport. I have been selected and I have heard not good news and I might refuse the offer if the accommodation in not ok. my dream is cabin crew. at least, I want to be sure the accommodation is ok to accept the compromise to work for EK (Dnata) as airport stuff with a salary not so good.

where can I find more information?

thks

baccrat
2nd Apr 2011, 09:45
Want_to_fly I knew about your experience... IN FACT, you were one of the reason of my doubts...

You see? The recruiter remembered you... So, she knew you were perseverant and that you had interest... and... She should know that you were worthy of reaching the FI, because you did it once... Right?

And... What did she do??? She didn't even called you! I know you may think they were a little bit stressed that day... But you're an example of what i'm afraid of... The recruiter remembered you, so probably she remembered that you were not hired, and probably the reason... Or at leat that you had some problem at that moment... And you were not given a second chance "in spite of your interest and perseverance".

They're recruiters... Their job is to find people who fits the job "at their sight"... So If the last year I was not good enough, and I had some "problem"... they're going to have that in mind this time too...

I mean... I don't think it's bad to admit you have been in an OD before... But I'm starting to feel that it's bad the let them know that you failed at your FI...

want_to_fly
2nd Apr 2011, 10:29
Yeah I totally know what you mean. Believe me, I was disappointed and did not know what just happened I asked myself the same question too.

But what's done is done. All I can look forward to is try again and do the best I can next time. I am just praying that next time I'll get a different recruiter. If she asks if I've been to the FI before I'll say it. If she didn't ask then I wont say anything. It's happened before, not all OD's they give you a slip and ask you to fill in whether you've made it to the FI previously.

I have my doubts too believe me, like you I ask myself lots of question and I keep thinking of the negative things that could happen.

But if it's your dream, then you know you wont give up. One recruiter by the name of Chelsea was very very wise told us that we shouldn't give up on our dream. She said she has seen people try and try again, and it's the preseverance and passion that they are after. She then mentioned that one guy from Pakistan or Bangladesh tried 13 times and finally got himself a job. And in the end, the Emirates Aviation College rewarded him gifts. Im not saying you or anyone here will have to try 13 times... Im just saying don't let failures ruin your dream. Many of my friends said most crew they have met tried at least 5 times before getting the job.

Besides, you've got nothing to lose. All you have to do is try and see where it will take you next. So chin up and start believing your dreams will come true :ok:

God bless!

baccrat
2nd Apr 2011, 10:57
"Want_to_fly has been so nice to hear such a kind words...

As I told you, i've been living your story since the beggining... I felt so dissapointed too when I saw they didn't call you... Because obviously you have been reading and preparing yourself... So you're the example of how somethime having the tools doesn't allow you to success... Wich is quite thirilling...

You know? I know Chelsea too, She's Aussie, right?... She was in my OD, she told us how she was selected from a very crowded OD in Australia... But in this ocassion she was playing the bad cop, I think...

Of course i'm not gonna give up... I have so many reasons to keep trying... I love the job, I love the company as it is nowadays... And I have family, friends there... Maybe I'm a little stressed because I'm 28 and I have no PLAN B (I discovered my vocation a little bit late :))... But for now I'm preparing myself, studying another language, improoving and ganing customer care background... And keep reading and praying... Because my next try can be the ultimate :D

Is it funny how life is guiding us...

want_to_fly
2nd Apr 2011, 11:04
baccrat: Yes that's Chelsea. She did share a story how she attended a 2 days OD because back in 2001 they used to come to Brisbane once every 2 years, so there were about 2000+ people.

It is really funny how circumstances in life turns out. But I believe they are there for a reason to teach us a lesson or to even build our characteristics stronger. So stay strong my friend! Being 28 isn't bad, I have heard stories where this Canadian girl who got in at the age of 31.

Glad I could help. Believe me, I found myself in the bottom of the pit and got myself up again because I know one day I'll be working for Emirates :D

All the best!

peppi77
2nd Apr 2011, 11:04
Hi Mliz
Im' here new an d would like to ask you if you will have time help me. Im' going for OD first time and im a bit afraid. Could you describe me in detail what how it is on OD.I have read that there is a group discussion,talking about another person or about a famous person, if i remember after that is the english test and essay.Now im' confused so what it is on AD.
I will appreciate your help.You know im' overseas student and my english is not perfect.

baccrat
2nd Apr 2011, 11:24
Want_to_fly: I know.. I'm not worried about being 28, i'm more frustrated because their garden periods (One year is too much)... Many of the girls in my OD were 29 and 30 and they made it. Even when I'm a male applicant, I won't give up... I'm not even trying EY or QR for now... I have my faith and my eye over EK :D :D :D Let's go!!

All the best! :)

want_to_fly
2nd Apr 2011, 12:42
Baccrat: I'm a male applicant too. Don't worry sooner or later we'll get there one day :)

bencat27
2nd Apr 2011, 14:14
Hey all, just wondering in regards the photo's we need, is it ok/acceptable if we print them on photo paper ourselves or do they have to be professional as to put it quite simply, I do not have the money to pay for professional photos at the moment!?

Cheers
Ben

baccrat
2nd Apr 2011, 15:24
Advisable to be profesional... If you can afford it. If not, Don't worry... Just try to make at least your photo with a plain white background. you know... Both hands visibles. And nice smile :)

bencat27
3rd Apr 2011, 00:40
Thats not an issue, just I cant afford going to a studio to get them done! White background etc however isnt a problem :-)

Aeromar27
3rd Apr 2011, 09:44
That is an issue. If you happen to reach the final interview, the officers will tell you how important the photos are. In fact, they might be the most important aspect of your application once you have passed all the stages of the initial assessment. I used to fly for EK and I'm rejoining now.

Studio photos won't cost you more than 10 bucks.

baccrat
3rd Apr 2011, 10:06
Aeromar!!! Can you explain me please how is the rejoining process at this moment? Pleaseeeee

Aeromar27
3rd Apr 2011, 14:42
For rejoining, the best you can do is contact your former cabin crew manager. She will forward your request to recruitment, who will send you a series of documents and forms that you must fill up in order to rejoin.

You can only rejoin if it hasn't been more than some 6 months since you left the company (I am not sure about the exact number of months though). It was something like, if you decided to rejoin within 6 months after leaving, then you might rejoin just by making a phone call and wouldn't even have to go through training, provided your SEP hadn't expired. If you tried rejoining between 6 months and 2 years after leaving the company, then you could rejoin without having to go through a selection process, but you might need to go through training. I'm not sure if you would retain your previous staff number and/or grade. Again, I am not sure about the exact timings.

If you try to rejoin after 2 years or more, you have to join from scratch, as in attending an open day, which is what I'm about to do. I really have no idea whether having had a previous experience with emirates is an advantage or a disadvantage to be honest (hope it's the former). They will obviously take your previous record into consideration and that record has to be flawless.

Rejoining and going through initial training and starting all from scratch is well worth it, so, good luck!

Criss7
3rd Apr 2011, 18:13
Hello Tripera,

Did you say you know people who tried 12 times to get the job??? It seems impossible taking in consideration that you should wait 6 months for the next interview. Do you think they didn't respect this rule? Do you think it is possible to try againd earlier than 6 months?
Thank you!

Have a great evening!

bencat27
3rd Apr 2011, 19:21
If there was a studio that charged a mere $10 for professional photos then yes wouldn't be a problem. The cheapest however I have seen are $145+gst which right now I simply cannot afford! I can have shots done against a white background just not done by a professional, in a studio, airbrushed to within an inch of my life!

baccrat
3rd Apr 2011, 19:44
Bencat27

Definitelly.... Look another studio... I've had professional photos done for 7€ in my country... and many others, always less than 10€... When we say professional photos we mean simply photos taken in any studio, or photo-shop... You DON'T need a professional book as if you were to start a model career...

bencat27
3rd Apr 2011, 20:06
Well I must be going about this the wrong way then, where would you suggest I should look for a studio that would only charge $10 as this is Sydney and nothing is cheap here lol

givemewings
3rd Apr 2011, 21:01
bencat, sounds crazy but try asking around Kodak/photo places which do passport pictures. Even the post office MAY have a backdrop.

Contrary to what people are saying here it is NOT required to have professional pictures... so long as you put in some effort to make them look good. Do you know anyone with an SLR camera? Know someone at a local TAFE? Might not be that hard to "borrow" a spot in their photo lab for 30mins to take some pics...

Otherwise, have a hunt around on Facebook, sometimes there's photogs starting out who need the experience who'll do it for a good price. I wouldn't recommend it for modelling pics of course but you can't really go wrong with a full length application pic.

My batchmate got a friend who's a photog to do her pictures. They used a plain white sheet with good lighting which is what they do on a location if they need last minute "test" shots.

Good luck!

PS- you could also try one of those "promotional offers" with a package photo company. Explain what you need & they might be able to help.

iio78
3rd Apr 2011, 21:10
anyone going to sofia next weekend? how many people are attending since mt global is not making the selection anymore?

bencat27
3rd Apr 2011, 22:23
Yes I have a mate with an SLR camera thingy not that I understand photography and like previously stated there is access to a white background and good lighting... I'm sure it will be fine anyway, they wont look rubbish anyway as I'm not stupid enough and too proud to hand over something thats crap lol

Cheers for the help though!

imani
4th Apr 2011, 09:04
Hi everyone. hope you are all doing superb. i just saw my 'not shortlisted' status change from 'applied'. :( so much for being 'hopeful'..i am so bummed right now but i'll still try next time.
take care everyone and good luck to everyone lucky enough to go to AD/OD.
BLESSINGS :)

trizakalerwa
4th Apr 2011, 09:51
Hey everyone,
Just a word of encouragement to you all who wish to become cc. I did my first interview in Kenya in 2007 and never even got to the second round and reapplied in 2010 and was called in for Ad which i reached to the final interview. I have been waiting for my GC since December but I am still hopeful that it'll come through. Sad part is the people we were interviewed with have already left for Ek and I am still waiting and know nothing though have been calling and being told by the guy to just be patient. You have to be hopeful and patient as the waiting is not too interesting. All the best to everyone trying and hopefully we'll meet someday having our dream jobs.:ok:

loowla
4th Apr 2011, 12:40
sorry about the status change. don't give up there is always a next time. .when did you apply for the assessment day?

mimi294
4th Apr 2011, 12:48
don loose hope gal,,,try again next time.....am so bored with my status not changing for some time now.....and its only two weeks to come...i have not heard anyone from kenya who says she or he has been invited may be they are planning to cancel:{well all in all we should be strong and think positive,,,,if it is your dream to be a CC dont loose hope:=

imani
4th Apr 2011, 13:16
Hi Loowla and Mimi...
thank you for your encouragement. i will not let this rejection keep me from my dream. i will apply next time,that's the best thing about an ever growing company they is always a next time...funny thing is that they sent me an invitation the last time and now that i have more experience they reject me. too weird ...
wish you the best of luck guys and hope you get invites soonest and
take care lovelies...:)

loowla
4th Apr 2011, 13:42
hey, my pals already got invited for the AD but they applied sometime late last year. . the invites came two weeks ago. .the ones who applied recently haven't gotten invites but their statuses have changed from applied to under review so maybe the invites are still to come. . i read somewhere in this thread that they send invites 4-7 days to the AD. . so there is still lots of time to receive the invite :} :} :}. cheer up one of this fine days your inbox will surprise you :E

mimi294
4th Apr 2011, 16:01
i hope so....am one of those who applied lately:(i dont know but i am keeping my fingers + toes crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fingerzcrossed
4th Apr 2011, 18:06
Its really weird .. yesterday was my AD trying for the second time to make may dream come true (after i reached the FI interview last time)
The weird issue is that i was eliminated right after the first stage for a weird reason that i ignore myself..believing that i was more way better than the last time .. spoke my mind fluently was so comfortable (but maybe too confident...i am not sure)
we were asked to present the person on our right asking what he might do if he was invisible for 24 hours, the question was so cool i tried to be funny answering (and the recruiter laughed) but unfortunately i was eliminated :ugh::ugh: why ??? i am more than sure that i will try again after 6 months but it will be like a nightmare chasing you fearing that you might be eliminated anytime.. Ok maybe should look at the bright side its for sure better than lasting to later stages and go eliminated later where i should wait another one year. Take care guys you just don't how they will act or look at you with an eye of REAL RECRUITERS ! :(

stacyhoney
4th Apr 2011, 18:28
Other than this one problem, I have a great personality and I am fairly goodlooking. However with EK, i am not sure if i'll make the cut because of my gap. To anyone that's working with EK at the moment, is there any cabin members with gaps in their upper teeth? Mine is very small but not tiny. About 2-3mm. Other than that, my teeth are great.

What would my chances be like at the open day if i were to maintain great posture, good personality? What would my chances be like with ---->:}

danny21
4th Apr 2011, 20:39
Hi all,
Hope you are all well. I intend to attend an OD in my country on April 16th, this will be my third attempt i am trying to be as prepared as possible and finally make it all the way. Every one has been so kind to share there information it is only right that i share what i have learned.

EMIRATES CABIN CREW INTERVIEW - Latest Pilot Jobs provides the latest aviation vacancies around the world. (http://latestpilotjobs.com/emirates-cabin-crew-interview.html)

This link provides a lot of useful information including some idea of interview questions, personality test and IQ and math test.

It seemed fairly simple at first glance, but when i try writing my answers it really got me thinking. I hope this helps someone else too, and make the dream become reality:D:D.

Have a good one guys!!!!!
Danny:ok:

zarah.k
4th Apr 2011, 20:39
It would be easier for me to suppose what went right or wrong in my interview when I will get an answer in few weeks. Still, what I can suggest to fellow Ppruners preparing for their FI, is do not overthink, get some rest the night before and be CONFIDENT. And when we say be confident, don't be overly confident, of course. The interview is not really stressful. There is a lot of paperwork, they will go over your pictures, ask you few questions regarding your CV. Also, you will have to sign a paper asking you if you have any tatoos. Since I don't have, I don't remember exactly what was on it but I remember seeing 'laser removal'.

- What do you want to join EK. Prepare an intelligent and authentic response.

The others questions are relate to your experience in customer service. I suggest you do an exercice to note good examples you could use at the interview. It will be easier for you to then give it fluently and not be stress about finding an example when they ask you the question.

Some question that can be asked that I also found on the forum :

A time when you had to make a decision, waht were the consequences?
When you followed somebody's advice. Have you had results?
When you surprised somebody making them a better day.
Why do you think people don't follow procedures?
one time you provided excelent customer care
-one time you implemented something new
-tell us about your job
-one time you made a mistake

In a previous post, I suggest when you prepare those answer, you keep in mind the interviewer wants to verify :

- Can you do the job?
- Are you the sort of person they can work with?
- How motivated are you?

There is no right or wrong answer. Some people thought they did really bad at their interview and are now in DXB. Others thought they did well and didn't make it. In the end, be prepared, be optimistic and give your best. To make it to the FI is already pretty good! :D

Oh! and I don't know if you guys know but now, you don't graduate before your probation is done, meaning after flying for 6 months. They recently changed it.

If you have torrent, I suggest you download those documents on torrent.eu (http://www.torrent.eu) :

How2become cabin crew
Interview skills that Win the Job

Cheers,
Z

zarah.k
4th Apr 2011, 20:47
Thanks Danny, that link will be very helpful to those preparing for OD/AD/FI!

As for the math test, I think they don't conduct it anymore. After the FI, some people are given a logic test called The Raven's Progessive Matrice Test. It's all logical, starts simple but gets harder in the end. There is no clear answer to be found as to why some get it and others don't. But I get a feeling it's based on the IPQT and maybe if put to many B's (the reccruiters warned us to be careful with B's as it make us look as undecisive person).

I suggest you do the raven test (Raven test | Raven progressive matrices test (http://www.raventest.net)) one day before the FI so it will be easier when you do it at the FI. You can do it on the website but you won't have the answer. But if you do it without the time pressure factor, you'll eventually understand the patterns and the right answer.

Z

stacyhoney
4th Apr 2011, 22:08
Sorry but i'd like to repost as i'm on a crunch here. Anyone with information on my question please do help me out. I only have a few days left.

Other than this one problem, I have a great personality and I am fairly goodlooking. However with EK, i am not sure if i'll make the cut because of my gap. To anyone that's working with EK at the moment, is there any cabin members with gaps in their upper teeth? Mine is very small but not tiny. About 2-3mm. Other than that, my teeth are great.

What would my chances be like at the open day if i were to maintain great posture, good personality? What would my chances be like with ---->:}

Also i've listed some questions that i've came across. These would be all the possible questions that would be asked. Go through them, and get familiarized with them. Dont study them though. Just get to know them.:ok:

MOTIVES.
 Why do you want to be a cabin crew member
 How did you become interested in the position of cabin crew
 Why do you want to work for emirates
 Have you applied to any other airlines
 Have you applied for any other positions
 Why have you decided to change professions at this stage of your career
 How do you feel about looking for another hob
 What do you hope to achieve from this position
 How long would you stay with us
 If you were to leave the flight department where would you turn your skills
 Would you take this job if we offered it to you
 When are you available to start work if offered the position
 Have you stretched the truth today to gain a favourable outcome
 What will you look forward to most in this job
 What challenges do you look forward to
KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE JOB.
 What do you think the role of cabin crew involves
 What do you think are the advantages of the position
 What do you think are the disadvantages of this position
 If you could what would you change about this position
 Do you think the role of cabin crew is glamorous
 What qualities do you think a good cabin crew member should have
 What kind of individual do you think we are looking for to fill this role
 Do you know anything about cabin crew training
 What aspects of customer service are most important to our passengers
 What do you think is the main cause of some passengers frustrations
 Why do you think some passengers take out their frustrations on cabin crew
SUITABILITY FOR THE JOB
 Why should we hire you instead of someone with prior cabin crew experience
 Why should we hire you for this position rather than another applicant
 What would you bring to the position
 What contribution can you make to ensure passengers fly with us again
 What qualities do you have that you feel would make you a good cabin crew member
 Do you think your lack of language skills will affect your ability to perform the job
 How is your work experience related to cabin crew
 How has your education prepared you for the role of cabin crew
 Do you feel ready for a more responsible position
 Do you feel confident in your ability to handle this position
 What makes this job different from your current previous ones
 What is it about being a cabin crew member that you think you do not presently have?
 What would you say if I said your skills and experience were way below the requirements of this job
 How would you respond if we told you that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion
 Do you have any reservations about working here
 This position will involve relocating how will you adjust to the different lifestyle?
 How do you feel about routine tasks and irregular hours
 How do you feel about working at Christmas and other special occasions
 This is a long hours culture is that a problem for you?
 Have you worked on night shifts before
 How do you feel about a formal dress code
 This job will require you to work with people from very different backgrounds to yourself
 How will you cope with the wide range of personalities among our employees
KNOWLEDGE ABOUT EMIRATES
 What do you know about Emirates
 Have you ever flown with emirates
 How would you rate us against our competitors
 How would you compare emirates to the other airlines you have flown with
 Do you think Emirates has a good reputation
 What is the worst thing you have heard about Emirates
 Is there anything you think we do badly
WORK HISTORY
 What do you like about your current job
 what do you dislike about your current job
 which particular aspect of your work do you find most frustrating
 is there a lot of pressure in your current work
 what has been the biggest disappointment of your career
 how many days have you had to take off due to sickness
 can we contact your previous employers for references
CAREER PROGRESSION
 Why did you stay with the same employer so long?
 Why do you want to leave your current job?
 How do you feel about your career progress to date?
 What have you learned from your work experience?
 Have you done the best work you are capable of?
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
 When have you provided good customer service
 Tell us about a time when you solved a customer problem
 How do you deal with a difficult customers
 When have you thought that your customer service could have been better
 When have you handled a customer complaint
 Describe a time when you’ve had to deal with an angry or upset customer
 When have you experienced a pressured situation
 When have you witnessed poor customer service
 When have you shown good communication/interpersonal skills
 What was the toughest communication problem you have faced
 Have you successfully worked with a difficult co-worker
 Have you ever had difficulties getting along with others
 How do you handle conflict
 What action do you take if there are members of your team who really don’t get on with one another
 Tell us about a difficult situation when you pulled the team together
 Give an example of a problem you encountered which didn’t work out
 Describe a situation when your work idea was criticised
 What is the most significant accomplishment/achievement up to this point in your career
 What was the least enjoyable experience in your work experience
 What was the most difficult professional decision you have had to make
 What has been your greatest professional mistake
 How do you approach difficult situations
 Tell us about the biggest challenge you have faced
 When have you worked unsociable hours
PERSONAL QUALITIES
 How would you describe yourself
 If you had to characterise yourself in one sentence, what would you say
 How would a friend describe you
 What would colleagues say about you
 How well did superiors rate your job performance
 What did superiors think are your weaknesses
 What are the 3 most important skills that you have developed in your career so far
 How have you changed in the last 5 years
 What don’t you like to do
 What are some of the things you find difficult to do
 What motivates you to work hard
 Are you a self starter
 How do you get along with different kinds of people
 Do you try hard to get people to like you
 Are you able to work alone without direct supervision
 Are you a good team player
 What do you most enjoy about working in a team
 What do you least enjoy about working in a team
 How well do you lead people
 What do you most/least enjoy about providing customer care
 What do you find most challenging about providing customer service
 How do you go about making important decisions
 What decisions do you dislike making
 What decisions do you find most difficult
 How do you prepare yourself for potential problems
 Can you take instructions and not feel upset or hurt?
 How often do you lose your temper?
 Do you consider yourself assertive or aggressive?
 How confident are you about addressing a group
HYPOTHETICAL
 If you were given the job of interviewing cabin crew for emirates, how would you do it?
 You are in flight at 30,000 feet, how would you handle a passenger if you became irate about his lost baggage?
 What would you do if the seat belt signs are on because of turbulence but a passenger gets up to go desperately to the toilet
 How would you deal with a passenger scared of flying
 What would you do if you suspect that a passenger is suspicious or a high risk to passengers
 What would you do and how would you react in a hijacking
 How would you act in an emergency
 What do you do when a colleague comes to you in tears
 What do you do when a co-worker is not pulling their weight
 How would you handle a colleague who is being rude, racist etc
 If you spotted a colleague doing something unethical or illegal, what would you do
 What would you do if you felt your superior was dishonest
 What would you do if you received a telephone call telling you that a family member has been taken ill in the middle of the day
MISCELLANEOUS
 What do your family think about you applying for this position
 This position requires long hours; will this be a problem for your family life
 Do you feel your education and training prepared you well for the challenges in the work force
 Do you think grades should be considered by new employers
 How do you feel about company rules and policies
 How would you define team work
 What do you think makes a crew work well together
 What do you think prevents a crew working well together
 Do you criticise others? Under what circumstances?
 How would you define good customer service
 What is the key to providing good customer service
 What do you think constitutes poor customer service
 Do you think the customer is always right
 How important is communication when dealing with your clients
 Do you feel appearance is important
 What question could I ask you that would really intimidate you

layloon
5th Apr 2011, 09:33
Hello everyone!

I'm new here... so I would like to ask a few questions about the CV.
I am currently a student at 2 universities, and I still have 2 years left till graduation, was wondering if I put in my CV that I still have my education in progress would they think that I am planning to quit them? Actually would they look on this fact as a positive thing or a negative one? And I started learning Italian and Arabic a month ago, so I don't know if I should put that on my CV as well couse I kinda know the basics now.
Thank you for your reply.
:)

expatinaction
5th Apr 2011, 11:00
If your appearance is attractive then a gap in your teeth won't make any difference...as for your chances, they're the same as anyone elses.

zarah.k
5th Apr 2011, 11:21
Good you are learning Italian and Arabic : I am too!

As for your education in progress, it's not a problem : if they want you, they will keep you! But on the documents, you will have to put your education completed. If you have a college diploma, you put college, not university. And on AD they will ask you what language you speak fluently and that if you know few words it doesn't count. That being said, I think you can put it on your CV if you want. Just make sure you indicate the infos on the official documents the way they want.

Hope that helps!

Z

Gabriella
5th Apr 2011, 11:42
Hello everybody and congrats to those who got the golden call! i attended an assessment day on 28th of march in Bucharest and i got through all the stages , including the final interview. We were told to create an acount on emirates careers to see our status, so i went on the website but i couldn't create an application form without applying for an open day or assessment day. Due to the fact that the Assessment Session from bucharest was already closed for applicants, i applied for a vacancy of cabin crew in dubai, keepeng the same info that i had on my Cv (the same e-mail, phone number, work experience etc.) . i also filled in the date of my final interview. Today i checked my status and it says Approval in Progress ( no 'under review', no ' not shortlisted'...). What does it mean? that they want me for an interview in dubai:ugh:? or that they will soon give me a golden cal?:D is it ok the way i created an application on their website?i have to say it has been only a week since i had my final interview, that is why i think i must have done wrong with the application. thanks

baccrat
5th Apr 2011, 15:42
That means that your profile is being processed... That's good! :) It's a normal stage before the golden call or rejection....

GOOD LUCK! :D

kenyan85
5th Apr 2011, 17:03
Thanks so much for your invaluable posts. They are gems on pprune.

zarah.k, you are very resourceful, thanks so much for the Raven Test, it is exactly what I did in my previous FI. I got a score of 95 which means I am of average intelligence which is good enough for me hehe.

The torrent book is also invaluable and very on point. If I ever make it for my 17th April AD, I need to hunt you down and take you out to dinner girl! And the FI questions! You are the best :ok:

stacyhoney, your post is exhaustive and leaves no stone unturned. You among many other hardworking and thorough people in this forum deserve to get this job, and I will be praying that you get it. The most important thing is to be resilient and realise that you are worth it and that good things will happen to you. Do not worry about your tooth gap, what matters is a sunny, energetic, magnetic can do attitude with lots of charisma. The last one can be natural or can be faked. You are unique and that is what they want. Be yourself and be nice and helpful during the AD if you ever get invited to one. You'll do just fine; trust me :D

Any male going for the Nairobi April 17th AD? Private message me and join our preparation group. I believe holding hands and working together is the only way we can get this job.

All the best to Everyone!

hangulsarang
5th Apr 2011, 18:41
hello there
i'm about to take off soon ,i wanted to ask
i'm finishing my teeth work now and i wonder if i may test positive on the drug test because of that, 'cause i read through internet and it was the case,
should i worry big time because of that?:(

loowla
5th Apr 2011, 19:37
did you already get your invite for the AD?

zarah.k
5th Apr 2011, 20:37
Thank you, darling!

Don't worry, I'm sure it will go fine! Especially if you do the Raven test the day before your FI, it will be still fresh in your memory and you will do it even faster than you did the first time. As for the FI questions, keep in mind they mostly ask behavioural question, like 'Give me an example when you...' So make sure you prepare your examples before the interview and 'rehearsing' out loud helps you become more fluent and confident in your answers.

Lasting, your invitation to other males is good! Other candidates are not competition and OD/AD are great ways to meet new friends!

Gabriella, you are really lucky to have an update so fast! I don't know if they already start giving results for us and our AD was March 26. Anyway, I'm on 'patience mode' so keep waiting. Good luck!

Cheers,
Z

baccrat
5th Apr 2011, 20:50
Zarah.k great post indeed... Proud of you!!! You've been doing great researches... Could you help me please about the book and torrents? I've never used any torrent... :'( So I downloaded... But I'm not capable to find the holy book :P. Shame on me :P

Thanks and GOOD LUCK!

GalwayGirl
5th Apr 2011, 21:00
Hey! Anybody from Ireland or the UK hear anything yet?? :)

xtheblonde01x
5th Apr 2011, 21:14
I had my final interview in Belfast and it was 4 weeks ago yesterday and have'nt heard anything yet!! Well they say no news is good news :) Heres hoping anyways!!
When was your FI?

GalwayGirl
5th Apr 2011, 21:20
I had my FI on the 23rd of March! I'm sooo nervous I think it went well! Were there many at the final interview with you? there was only 6 girls in galway!

emiratesgrl
5th Apr 2011, 23:33
How is life to female muslim cabin crew of Emirates residing in Dubai ? I live in Turkey and here you can do whatever you want to. No prohobitions for anyone.
In Dubai, I have heard there are many advantages for non-Muslim like liquor license and the Muslims are not permitted to get one. Does that mean that muslim cabin crew are not allowed to enter nightclubs,bars, restaurants have any drinks while living in Dubai ? That's so unfair !

Tina1
5th Apr 2011, 23:56
@Imani,glad to meet you in this forum,its good to keep trying and use evry experience as a learning one. Personally i've also learnt alot from everyone here. I also registered for Nairobi,16th and 17th but still waiting for the invite. Did you attend any open days earlier? I didn't but lets keep our fingers crossed and leave all to God!
Cheers!

gen6
6th Apr 2011, 07:11
Hey guys, got my GC Today after about 9 weeks of waiting !

I want to ask something about the discounts my wife gets on Emirates plane tickets ? if anybody knows anything, I'll be very grateful!
Does it make a difference if I've been working for 1 year or not, what are the differences ? For how long she can stay? Does she have any other discounts once she arrives?

Thank you!