PDA

View Full Version : Emirates - Wannabes & Recruitment VIII

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

k_tii2
14th Feb 2011, 08:27
I got my GC!!!!!! Doj is March 21st... so excited... I missed 2 phone calls from them at work and it took me forever to get through but so so happy:O

MarkoSerbia
14th Feb 2011, 09:32
Hi to all,i am going tomorrow to DXB :) . Just to said that this forum help me so much. Thank you all for great information... see you in EK :cool:

dandelion
14th Feb 2011, 10:28
hello everyone...
I have been a follower of this site on and off...
Want to thank everyone for your contributions and for sharing your experiences...:)
It feels great to know there are other people out there who share same thoughts and dreams. :)

I went for an Open Day almost a year and a half ago...made it with the Final Interview, unfortunately however got an unsuccessful e-mail…...i was quite disappointed and heart broken, because this has been my dream for years...however i did not excel during my Final Interview…
Finally I can attend the next open day at the end of February.. pretty soon! This time I am more prepared, I know more or less what to expect and I have obviously matured in my thoughts and perspectives...Well fingers crossed! :)

Congratulations to those who just got the golden call! and fingers crossed to those waiting for it! Those who did not make it...it's a rough time and waiting for 6months or a year to pass seems like forever! … But think positive..if it's meant to be it will be!
I am still hoping too!

Just a little question to those who just had a Final Interview ...were you asked about strengths and weaknesses? I would love to hear some ideas regarding weaknesses, it's a tricky question and although i made some research and thought about it...it would be nice to hear your views too. Also is the psychometric test still being done? I would really appreciate any replies..
Many thanks! :) xxx

nexia
14th Feb 2011, 10:30
Congratulations guys for GC :D My DOJ is also on 21st of March. I see there is already a few people with the same date :) Send me a PM if you want to connect. I'm already friend on FB with Ellie22 and just for you to know today is her Birthday :O Happy Birhtday Ellie!:D

MarkoSerbia fasten your seat belt and have a pleasnat flight. Javi mi se i ti da pa da te dodam na FB-u i da pijemo kafu u Dubaiu :)

myn024
14th Feb 2011, 11:54
[Text speak]

Read the first sticky thread at the top of the forum.

myn024
14th Feb 2011, 12:23
[Text speak]

Lou75
14th Feb 2011, 13:24
Oh Happy Birthday Ellie !! I've just realised everyone is going to March 21st !! Is there anyone (except AllyNz ;)) going to April 4th ??!!

Good luck to everyone with the medicals !!

AllyNz I can't find you with your email adress:sad:, I'll send mine via PM !

xx

myn024
14th Feb 2011, 15:30
[Text speak]

EKiFLY
14th Feb 2011, 19:06
Hi Everyone,
I just joined this forum and i want to thank you guys for all the info. Theres so much to absorb and i have learnt A LOT:O. I have observed that the FI questions are basically the same all over for a particuler month and i want to know if someone has been to an AD this month and if so could you kindly share the experience with us.
Mine is on the 27th. Goodluck to everyone waiting for their GCs and attending ADs/ ODs

ellie22
14th Feb 2011, 20:39
Oh thanks everyone, this year was a very good birthday with the fabulous Emirates news! Biancs88- heard anything yet?x

allyNZ
14th Feb 2011, 23:53
Happy Birthday Ellie!!

Haha looks like Lou75 and I are the only ones joining on April 4th so far!! Perhaps some of our training group are yet to receive their GCs?

Lou75 - Weird you can't find me! Maybe is has something to do with my settings, i'll wait for your PM then try and add you :)

Milly26
15th Feb 2011, 03:39
Hopefully i get my GC soon and i'll have the same DOJ as you two. k_tii2 was at the OD i went to and she got her call this week so fingers crossed mine is following!
Is there any guys out there that had their FI in Dec/Jan that have their GC yet? wondering if it is still taking a little longer for guys to get through! :confused:
Still trying to be as patient as i can haha.

hala22
15th Feb 2011, 05:51
[Text speak]

hala22
15th Feb 2011, 06:16
I am just still taking the first steps...
what do these abbreviations stand for:
OD
AD
FI
GC

trizakalerwa
15th Feb 2011, 06:25
Hey Everyone,
I am on week 9 and my status still reads under review, have tried calling them severally but no response. Anyone who would like to give me the different number that I should try on? Its not easy to wait this long and nothing is forthcoming..... Congratulations to you all who received their GC. See you in DXB soon.

Paradise33
15th Feb 2011, 07:34
Went to assessment day in Auckland, NZ and out of about 170 pp I made it to the last 12 and then after I submitted my docs, about 2 weeks later I checked my status and it said Unsucessful! :{ So guttered! they say reapply in a year, about how do you know what to improve on if you want to reapply a second time. It was such an intense process and I just wonder why I didn't get it. 3 girls out of the 12 have been accepted, myself and 1 other girl denied and the others are still waiting! So heartbreaking :confused:

lynda fly
15th Feb 2011, 08:07
[Text speak]

want_to_fly
15th Feb 2011, 09:11
I am so surprised that only 12 made it to the FI! That is a lot less then what I have previously experienced. I made it to the FI in 2009 and there were 29 of us, and year after that there were around 25 (and these were interviews in Brisbane). I have been hearing a lot now that there weren't more than 15 on average that made it to the FI. Maybe Emirates is being extra strict now with their intake!

perkin1
15th Feb 2011, 09:47
Who else has a DOJ of 28 march?
Those who have theirs a few weeks around that date especially the Aussies, it would be cool to keep in touch on face book or whatever. Feel free to private message me on here!

EKiFLY
15th Feb 2011, 10:58
OD- Open Day (walkin to leave your CV and pictures, open to everyone)
AD- Assesment Day ( Invitation from Emirates to attend a preliminary selection process, often after you put in an application online)
FI- Final Interview ( Once you make it past the Assesment Day)
GC- Golden Call ( Positive call from Emirates that you've been hired)
Cheers

Just read through all the previous posts; theres a wealth of information to glean off here
a lot of people have been kind enough to share their experience with us.
Cheers

Kassie
15th Feb 2011, 12:36
Hi Jewel, who said they coming April/May :D this is excellent news!!!! I have been waiting a whole year to apply, i couldn't even attend the open day last Nov..:(

JewelF
15th Feb 2011, 14:18
@Kassie

The last AD down here, I got to know quite a few people that went. I didnt attend because I found out about it and EK on a whole, a week AFTER the entire process. Since then i've been obscessed and learnt everything that I possibly can learn about. Even their start date and why they started up. Altho I plan on learning more about their history eventually, right now i'm focused on learning everyting about the signup process along with the questions ect. However Kassie, I got this information from one of the guys that made it to the FI last November. He said that he was told by the recruiters themselves, that they'll return in April or May of this year in Trinidad. I cant tell you how excited I am for this. Are you on face book? Maybe we can chat a little or communicate VIA emails, since privacy means alot in the U.A.E.

Best of luck though :)

.agamt
15th Feb 2011, 15:18
[Text speak]

Mikejr
15th Feb 2011, 16:28
Try again next year!!!

''Follow the advice of those who make you crie, never of those who make you laugh”
Most famous arabic quote!:ugh:

me here
15th Feb 2011, 16:32
Anyone attending AD on 20th Feb in Dubai?

Torontofly
15th Feb 2011, 17:27
Hi Everyone!
I got rejected from Emirates after the final interview on 19th of May 2010. They are having an Open Day in Toronto again in March .Can I apply for that or no? When can I re apply? Please advise ! Thanks

Bandaogo
15th Feb 2011, 18:29
I am attending AD in Accra on the 27th of this month. Anyone attending.
I have a question, when going for the reach test, is it advisable for you to walk bear foot or remove your shoe in front of the lady?

JewelF
15th Feb 2011, 20:58
@Torontofly

If you made it to the FI then it must be a year before you return. Sad that in March it'll almost be a year.

@Bandaogo
That's a nice question lol. I'd advise you to wait and see. When they call you, they'll be asking you a few questions as well, and i bet they'll let you know if to take your shoes off. Do not walk over there without your shoe on, you'll look a tad bit crazy.:}

VJW
16th Feb 2011, 08:26
Hi there

Any truth to the rumour, they may open a US base in the future?

VJW

Hustling
16th Feb 2011, 15:33
..... its now five months since i got two hold on emails. please fellows just help am totally confused:confused: on what to do. My status still reads 'application under review'

isabel66
16th Feb 2011, 15:55
hey guys 'again' lol
i wanted to know if EK website crushed or something, it's been more than three weeks now and my statut was "applied"
today is changed to "approval in progress" the funny thing is that i already applied to an AD months ago but i still have it on "my application" and the statut was 'application under review' and today it also change "approval in progress" too
that means that they will get back to me twice or what?
the other AD i didn't even make it lol
and approval in progress can mean that i can get the unsuccessful mail after ?
(my FI was a disaster so that's why i'm thinking about the unsuccessful :sad:)

Milly26
16th Feb 2011, 19:29
Just checked my emails this morning and i noticed one in there from Emirates Group Careers Centre - got so scared it was the 'unsuccessful' email but thankfully it was just an email saying some more jobs matching my criteria have been uoloaded to the website and i can view them, did anybody else get this?

Sushi lover
16th Feb 2011, 21:32
Hi there,
Anyone leaving 28 Feb?

nybkumad
16th Feb 2011, 23:15
hii everyone,please i need help with the emirates cabin crew interview.i'm from Ghana and my interview is in less than 2 weeks so if anyone can help out in giving me what i need to know for the interview...i will be highly grateful.Thank you.

JewelF
16th Feb 2011, 23:34
@nybkumad
In this one thread, you'll find everyting you need to know lol. Start from the first page or atleast 15 pages back from this one. :)

Ali_L
17th Feb 2011, 00:44
Hi,
I finally applied the OD through online:O, and they replied and said if I am a short listed, they will contact me to arrange an interview when they next schedule a recruitment trip to my country. Also, said If I have not heard from them within 3 months then my application has been unsuccessful.
The question is should I still attend the OD, because they have one in Canberra on 26 Feb, and I am in Sydney.:confused:

Thanks;)

JewelF
17th Feb 2011, 03:00
@Ali_L

Go to the one in Canberra instead as anyone can walk in an Open Day but not the same as Assessment day. And its a plus, if you dont make it to the AD at Canberra, then go to the one you was previously invited to. Atleast, that's what i'll do.

xxpaulaxx
17th Feb 2011, 10:53
Hi guys, I'm going to the OD next month, but I've gained weight recently and been working hard to get rid of the extra weight (gosh, so hard!). I'm a girl, 5'4 and weight 139 lbs right now. do you think this is ok? how much should i weight? I mean if I can't loose any weight at all before the OD, should I still go or should I wait for the next OD to come? Please tell me anything and I don't mind if you call me fat ;) I just want to know before booking flights and a hotel room. Thank you sooo much.

ally23x
17th Feb 2011, 12:03
Hy!

I calculate things in centimeters and kilos, so I can't really answer your question(because I am too lazy to convert :p), but I quote from the medical forms:

Body Mass Index
(weight in kg/height² in m)
Between BMI 16-18: please comment if BMI is appropriate for body frame
Between BMI 25-30: please comment if BMI is appropriate for body frame
Unacceptable:
BMI less than 16 = Underweight
BMI greater than 30 = Obese
Height
Acceptable:
Minimum arm reach of 212 cms (on tip toes)

You can now see for yourself if you are within the limits. But anyway you should know that if Emirates find your image (well groomed and presentable), qualities, personality and experience suitable for the job they will hire you!!!

Good luck!

EKiFLY
17th Feb 2011, 17:03
ok guys i know this may sound silly BUT i'm just not sure about the length of my skirt.
Mine is just above the knee( definitely not mini) so will that pass for knee lenght or am i supposed to go buy a skirt which totally covers the knee???:confused: my kneecap does show though, and its the only part which shows so will it pass?

Jbrsp11
17th Feb 2011, 17:23
Everything in the process is uncertain until you get your DOJ + tkt to Dubai...
Approval in progress I think there is a high chance to be approved.... Some people go straight to not successful...we never know...
I think if you were that bad in your FI you should already received the rejection email.

nexia
17th Feb 2011, 18:27
EKiFLY don't worry about the length of your skirt. It is ok to be just above the knee. That will pass for sure as a knee length. I wore the same skirt on my FI and also took all my pictures in it and I have been successful. :O

isabel66
17th Feb 2011, 21:40
thank you Jbrsp11 a lot

well the unsuccessful comes even after six weeks,and i'm only on the third
what i didn't understand is why they did update the other statut of a very old assessment day that i failed to approval in progress
that doesn't make a sense lol so the unsuccessful still has higher chances to come :rolleyes:

k_tii2
17th Feb 2011, 23:58
for all those who have received your GC, how long did you wait until they sent you the medicals??? I got my GC on Monday and I'm still waiting; should I send them an email??

Micah
18th Feb 2011, 00:12
Hey Guys NYC OD on 26th? Who is in?

allyNZ
18th Feb 2011, 01:54
k_tii2 (http://www.pprune.org/members/349410-k_tii2) - congrats on getting your gc!!

i waited about three/four business days for mine.

when is your doj? :)

ally23x
18th Feb 2011, 05:14
Think positive isabel66!!! This is one of the qualities Emirates searches in people and confidence so you should trust yourself more!!! Just wait and see what happens. As they say here HOPE FOR THE BEST AND BE PREPARED FOR THE WORSE!!!

Good luck!

Aussie-EmiratesCC
18th Feb 2011, 07:50
Hi All,

Anyone with DOJ 7th March please PM me.

Cheers! :ok:

Njaria
18th Feb 2011, 09:54
Hi all, I have a friend who uploaded her medical reports three weeks ago but the status is still in progress, does anyone know how many days it takes for emirates to reply?, her DOJ is 28th March

I like Weasels
18th Feb 2011, 11:24
Quick question for those who are already in Dubai,

I read that Skpe, Blackberry messenger and other internet based calling systems are blocked in Dubai,but I was also told if you already have Skpe downloaded on your laptop, when you get there it should still work.

Can anyone confirm if this is true ? (hope so !!)

Thanks

nanu
18th Feb 2011, 11:58
@I like weasels...yes..that is true :)...you can use Skype there if you have it already on your computer :)...so no worries there...
@Njaria...tell your friend that she does not have to worry..my friend waited longer and he got the final approval, like, five days, or a week before his DOJ :)...it takes a bit longer sometimes, but everything is ok :)

ysp333
18th Feb 2011, 13:47
I'm trying to attend th OD or AD in Kuala Lumpur. There's an option to register for both the OD and the AD. should i register for both of them online?

nexia
18th Feb 2011, 13:49
I guess that it wouldn't hurt if you register for both :ok:

k_tii2
18th Feb 2011, 22:44
AllyNZ

Oh ok so it can take some time, I was getting anxious that they forgot me! My doj is march 21, what about yourself?

Milena
18th Feb 2011, 22:57
Hey guys! is anyone attending the open day in toronto on march 19 ?? Please send me a private message, maybe we can go together !! also, do you guys know where to take the picture?? I feel like every photographic studio is about weddings... so please let me know!! Bye bye :)

snowglobe
18th Feb 2011, 23:10
hi guys i've been invited to an assessment day in london, can anyone tell me what i need to bring? at the OD i attended last year, i had to take CV and full length&head and shoulder photographs. Theres no mention of this in the email they sent me, so that means they dont need them, right?

The logical part of my brain is saying they already have my cv and photos because I uploaded them on my application.

The (exhausted) other half of my brain is saying "you must have to take a CV or what are you going to talk to them about when you go up for your little chat before the reach test?"

:ugh:

Milena, if you call the studios you'll probably find they do these kind of photographs as well as weddings etc.

want_to_fly
19th Feb 2011, 01:45
If I were you, I'd bring my CV and photos. Your exhausted other half of the brain is correct! It's an interview, so of course you will need your CV, and be bring whatever you think you need. It's better to be overprepare an interview than turning up with nothing.

Wish you all the best!

hala22
19th Feb 2011, 05:00
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if there is anybody who is going to OD in Vancouver on March 19?? I am so excited and do not know where to start to prepare for the whole process. I think I only have one shot, either pass or fail.

please let me know,

cheers

Mari
19th Feb 2011, 11:42
If reading the thread did not help, do a preparation course on the internet. You have plenty of time until the recruitment day.

Coco05
19th Feb 2011, 13:00
These are all based on my experience, it varies from person to person...Been flying for almost a month now :)

1. How is your living situation?

Emirates do sponsor you to come to Dubai, for your visa and accommodation. I am living on this great flat with 2 lovely flatmates. I get to have my own room but the kitchen and the living room I have to share with my flatmates. Washer and dryer are provided,we even have a tiny room for them. Up to this day, I still think that our place is too big for the 3 of us but that varies from accommodation to accommodation of course. I got really blessed to be put in this building because this is one of the best one :) Utilities and a phone allowance is provided. Each room has its own phone connection which is great. No rent to worries and I can use as much water and electricity as I want without worrying about the bill. Awesome eh?

2.Is it beautiful where YOU are?

Dubai is a desert,period but for the last 5 years, the UAE government have done an excellent job trying to commercialized the place. My area, it is pretty clean but nothing special about it. Buildings around you,some stores and beauty salon. I won't say it is beautiful but it is liveable.

3. How much time do YOU spend in the US versus where YOU are stationed?

Everyone will be based here in Dubai. No exceptions and no other bases at all. So this is definitely a life changing decision. When I accepted the job offer, I know deep inside my heart that I might not be able to come back to the US for a year or so but since Emirates do fly to LA, I am praying I get to have LA flights.

4.How flexible is the schedule?

The training is at least 7 weeks long and after that you will be on probation up to six months. During probation, you can't bid or swap any of your flights. Not a lot of options and flexibility at all. Each crew is allocated a 30 days leave for a year but you can't use the whole 30 days at once. It has to be 15 days on the first half of the year and another 15 on the second half. Another catch, you can't take a whole 15 days leave, it has to be divided again either 8 and then 7 days or 5 days then another 5 and the last 5. Does that make sense? You usually get 2-3 days off, depending on your roster and flights.

5.On the application it asks me why would i want to work for emirates? How long should the response be and what are some of the key points I should mention?

Don't make it too long and don't make it too short. I would not worry much about that, just state your qualifications and what you know about the company. If I could remember it correctly, I think I put something like this " I would like to work for Emirates because it is one of the youngest but fastest growing airline. I would like to be a part of a company that strives for excellence and would give me a lot of opportunities to grow and challenge myself." Something like that, do your research about them,go to their website so that you could mention that as well. It will let them know that you actually do know the company.

6. What are the pros and cons with working at emirates so far?

Pros:

No rent and utilities bill to worry about
Bus transport pick up from accommodation to the airport and vice-versa is provided, runs 24/7 and you could even use it to come visit a friend who lives in a different building or to go to the metro
Laundry and ironing of uniforms are provided at no cost
Uniforms, suitcase, handbag, cabin bag, shoes, stockings, duty pajamas, id cord, scrunchie, etc are all provided... Crazy eh?
It has over 100 destinations all over the world so you will really get to travel everywhere
They know how to take care of their employees and they do make you feel special
Fast promotion, you could be a Purser (the very senior flight attendant on board) within 4-5 years
It is tax free here, you get all your salary in full amount
Emirates Face Club discounts in different countries (not that many though)
You get to wear the uniform with pride, when you walk in the airport,people literally stare and look at you..I think it is the hat and scarf and the fact that at least 8-9 different nationalities all walking together.

I am sure there is a lot more that I have forgotten to list...

Cons:

Miles away from home
It get really hot,like fiery hot in the summer. So not looking forward to that!
Language and culture barrier since you will be working with different nationatilities on board ( over 120 nationalities btw)
Very demanding customers since they know that Emirates pride itself to the fact that the crew never gets to say no

And I am sure there is more as well but just can't think of them right now..

7. What's your living situation and does emirates help you out with things like room and board or relocation?

I think I pretty much answer this on your first question. Just to add more things, when you arrive here on Dubai, you will be welcomed with a starter pack that have some kitchen stuffs, linens, bathroom things, some foods, etc. Not very comprehensive but basic enough to help you get around. Your room will be fully furnished: bed, table,closet, etc. But the other home appliances, you will have to buy on your own like microwave, toaster, coffee maker, rice cooker, etc. For me I didn't have to because my flatmates already have them and they graciously told me that I could use them. So it depends on who you will be living with.

mugunza
19th Feb 2011, 20:39
Anyone attending to Belfast OD on the 26th Feb?

Does anyone know the name of the recruiters that usually recruits over there? :)

Next april i'm joining FlyDubay which is the low budget carrier owned by Dubai Governament (so, same group as Emirates, but they prefer to keep a wall in between the 2 airlines), and would like to try Emirates before they process my visa... :}

hala22
20th Feb 2011, 00:53
Hello everyone,
Thank you coco05 for the information you have posted. It is very useful.

Does anyone have an idea of how the CV should be structured?? what it should contain and what it shouldn't?

Thanks,
Hala22

I like Weasels
20th Feb 2011, 08:08
Another question for those already there,

Does the Emirates accommodation have internet access provided, if not how easy and quick is it to get connected and roughly how much does it cost per month ?

How easy is it to get a mobile phone connected, and are the packages similar to the UK contracts, ie talk time / texts / mobile internet for a set price every month ?

Thanks all

I.L.W.

Lina412
20th Feb 2011, 08:32
[Text speak]

ally23x
20th Feb 2011, 13:32
About internet :) The company doesn't provide you this service, but if you are lucky to have flatmates that have already installed it, and are willing to share then you are good. If not, unfortunately it will take you aproximately 1 month to get internet. To get the service itself it takes 2-3 days, but in order to do that you need a passport, which you will have it back only after approximately 1 month from your DOJ. Prices start with 300 dirhams/month

About mobile phones: you can get contracts, I think you only need a passport copy for that. For the prepay packages I know it for sure. It is very cheap, for example you can get a package for Blackberry for 78 dirhams until 300 or so. Or just a normal prepay: 0.30 dhs/minute within Dubai, 0.60 dhs/minute international, 0.18 dhs/sms within Dubai ...this are more or less the prices, You could search for Etisalat or Du, the two mobile services providers.

Any other questions...feel free to ask!

givemewings
20th Feb 2011, 15:59
When I bought my phone (Wasel prepaid) I was required to hand over a passport copy AND a copy of my residency visa.

My suggestion is to make 2 coloured passport copies (for yourself in case of loss etc) and 10 b&W, when Emirates send you the temporary visa in your email, make at least ten copies of this also.

Everywhere asks you for these- for the bank accounts, for internet, for BUYING the phone (not even to set it up, just to buy the pre-paid)

You'll make your life much easier by always having copies at home and also carrying one or two extra with you at all times so you can give one away if you decide to buy something on the spur of the moment and they ask for it.

Mari
20th Feb 2011, 17:43
I really liked the post! It's extemely nice to give an update.

Career

It's not realistic to think that you bacome a Purser in 4-5 years. Count with 5-8 years. There is always something... Crisis, war, strikes at Airbus, snow, vulcano... The aviation industry is very sensitive.

Some of you will be stuck in economy or business for years due to high number of sick days, absents, warning letters or simply a Cabin Crew Manager.

Miles from home

You MUST plan your leave carefully. It's hard to get on the flights. If you are from Australia, Brazil, Canada, US, you need lots of tickets and patience to work out your strategy when you go for leave in your country.

Leave

You might not be able to take leave during probation. It depends on the company.

You CAN take 19 days in a row without your manager's permission. However, not in your fist year as I read above.

The heat

Fist summer might be hard. Afterwards: you get used to it. I mean: you simply KNOW if you shouldn't even try to go out. I never go home (Eastern- Europe) in the summer as there is no air-conditioning anywhere at home. You know European summer: either 40 degrees (in the metro, in a bank, in a café, in a taxi) or rain.

I got spoiled!

You either hate it and go home OR you get adapted.

You WILL get sick (catch a cold) 2-4 times in the first year. A/C in Dubai and on the aircraft. Take vitamins. You get used to the conditions in a year. If not: you will resign.

Accomodation

You will move if you don't like it. It might take months but you will find something better. Not easy but it's not impossible!

Passengers

Expect the worst. With time you will handle them better. If you manage them and decide to stay, you should hang on to one thought: business class upgrade.

EKiFLY
20th Feb 2011, 17:56
Hi guys,
I have my AD next week and am wondering if someone has already been to one this month. If yes could you kindly share the experience??
Goodluck to everyone:)

Mari
20th Feb 2011, 18:25
Hala!

You seem to have really little knowledge about... well, the whole thing. That's the reason I recommended to take a prep course.

There are many British and US and Indian courses available on the internet. If you are not willing to pay that money, you should use google and READ. Well, there are some EK threads on this forum and it might take a week to read through them. However, after finising reasind you will get a picture about EVERYTHING. Many things were mentioned.

I did a course before I joined EK. It helped me a lot! You might be the perfect candidadae, you just don't know.

Google 'cabin crew cv' first. Read. Think. Write your cv.

Your cv should tell the recruiers at EK that you have the look (photo), personality (smile), age, background (customer service) they want. Easy. You passed the first round!

What else do they want?! I'm afraid you should do some research to figure it out.

hala22
20th Feb 2011, 18:55
Dear Mari,
Thank you for your insightful thoughts. I agree with you that I need to do a lot of research. I am reading this forum 24/7 as I am finding very helpful. I am also amazed how people,after reading all the information, feel obliged to come back here and share their experiences. This is something I, definitely, plan on doing!

As for the prep course, I was doing some research and a lot of the websites said that doing a course is a complete waste of time and money. So, I am just planning on (literally) memorizing their website, and reading through those forums by making summaries. How does that sound to you? I swear I already learned a ton from this forum.

Also, I speak perfect English but I am wondering how to get ready for the English Test? You know, just in case. It would be embarrassing to fail because of English. (or at least for me.)

cheers,
Hala

donnay
20th Feb 2011, 20:42
Hallo everyone, anyone attending the OD in Germany?
That can make the two of us in here....let me know!
All the best

JewelF
20th Feb 2011, 22:22
@hala22 (http://www.pprune.org/members/350024-hala22)

If you're first language is English then no need to worry about the English exam. You wouldnt get one. I havent been to the OD/AD/FI yet but i've read so many CC sites there's very few things I dont know about the process besides the questions. If you have to do the English test, I've heard of grammer and a composition. They give you a few questions or they give everyone a topic and you write on that. I am thankful that my first language is English. Best of luck with that. However, I'd like to be refered to one of those prep courses. Please inbox me the link. I am willing to do anything to get further ahead in my knowledge about EK and Cabin Crew in general.

snowglobe
20th Feb 2011, 23:39
One of the users of the cabincrew.com forum owns the book How To Become Emirates Cabin Crew which is not available to buy anywhere now. She has (astonishingly!) typed the whole thing up out of the kindness of her heart and offered to send a pdf copy of the book to anyone who wanted it. I'm sure you would find a lot of useful info in there if you asked her to send you it.

perkin1
21st Feb 2011, 00:19
Hey Mari or someone else whose been with the company for a while, i have a few questions,

What are your favourite layovers and why? Are the hotels normally located in the city? Which destinations do we have to stay at the airport hotels... i heard LHR is? what are the others?

I understand most of the layovers are around 24hrs.. Though which locations are longer? I heard some of the US destinations are 50hrs, as well as Sydney is sometimes 48hrs, not sure if this is still the case though..

As for the probation period, are we able to use ANY form of staff travel during this time? I'd imagine not, but worth a try.. haha

In theory, just say i had 4-5 rostered days off in a row, what would my chances be of flying home to Sydney for a weekend? I do understand most EK flights to Sydney are full, so if this was the case we do have eligibility to use ZED fares right? So would this mean i would be able to take an Etihad or V-Aus flight from Syd to Abu Dhabi (not ideal i know haha) or a QF flight to singapore and then connect from there for a similar id90 price?

Also how are the load factors normally for EK LHR flights?

Do you get much use out of staff travel/zeds? How do you find them?

As far as the FACE card goes, what kind of places in Dubai can you use it at? Are they worthwhile?

Thanks!

gen6
21st Feb 2011, 07:27
Hi Guys! I passed the FI and was waiting for my GC but nobody called me. The final day for the GC is today! If they don't call me, and I'm almost sure they won't, should I call them or write them an email, to ask what's my status? Has anyone experienced something like this? Thank you in advance!
Also I didn't get a rejection email, which I consider positive, because if they didn't approve me, I should've recieved an email by now, is that right?

nanu
21st Feb 2011, 08:36
Hy gen..that is a good sign :)...there are people who are waiting longer so no worries...i am gettin into my fifth week of waiting...are you a male?...if i was you..i would wait a week more, then call them..because they are fully packed in the training...they told me so on my FI...and they asked me to be patient..so just think happy thoughts and pack :O...and negative answer, usually comes much sooner then 6 weeks...take care...

gen6
21st Feb 2011, 09:43
Thank you for the answer Nanu!
Yes I'm male.

and negative answer, usually comes much sooner then 6 weeks

I really really hope so... it's also a relief for me to hear that there are others who are waiting for more than 6 weeks! I guess I shall wait one week more (7 weeks) and then I'll write an email or contact them by phone.

perkin1
21st Feb 2011, 10:11
Do you have an online status?
Good news is normally if they are going to reject you, it is generally done 1-3 weeks after the FI.
Bad news is, even if you have been selected, you probably wont get your GC for another 2-3 months...

I only just got my GC a couple of weeks ago, and my FI was Oct 11th.
And the other males who are currently getting their GCs also had their interview around Oct.

Training classes are all full, and there is currently a backlog of males. (Ladies are moving through much quicker : 2-5 weeks).
Over the coming months this should speed up though, as many crew who are about to leave are holding out for the month of April as this is when profit share payouts are paid to them. (this is what i have been told anyway).

gen6
21st Feb 2011, 11:19
Thank you, perkin1 !
Unfortunately I don't have an online status, never did anything online with Emirates.

Oh well, seems that I'll have to pack up with some patience then!
Thank you for the useful information, I feel better now!

Jessica Pang
21st Feb 2011, 15:52
Hi snowglobe, do you have the name of the lady you were talking about having the book? Or you do have any of her contacts? Sorry for the trouble and thanks lots for your kind info.. =)

Hi Coco05, thanks lots for your kind info!! you actually answered most of my questions in mind!! =))

snowglobe
21st Feb 2011, 18:07
The post is on the middle east airlines part of the cabincrew.com forum. The post is titled "caitlyn rogers"

Jfro
21st Feb 2011, 22:32
Anyone going to the OD in Toronto on the 19th?

hala22
22nd Feb 2011, 05:55
thank you snowglobe

trizakalerwa
22nd Feb 2011, 07:53
Hello All,
Congratulations to those who received their GC. This is my 10th week of waiting and still nothing from them. Kindly someone PM me on the alternative numbers for calling the HR. The numbers have been calling have never been answered. This is like a third time im asking for your help. Anyone. I will really appreciate it. btw im female and thats why cant understand why the long wait. Thank you great people.

Njaria
22nd Feb 2011, 08:50
Hi all, I cant log in as I am getting this message,
"Application Error please contact your RC"
when i try to log in into my candidate portal,am at the stage when i have to get medical approval and after that i have to resign from my current employer.
Does anyone know what this mean?

k_tii2
22nd Feb 2011, 09:35
@Njaria

I'm having the same problem I can't log into the portal. I keep getting the message that it's currently down, sorry for the inconvience etc.... so frustrating!!

yule
22nd Feb 2011, 13:00
hello...here in Manila Philippines, i'm having the same thing...is the system down? i'm having the same problem...i cant access my portal...showing "APPLICATION ERROR.CONTACT YOUR RC"....

i'm waiting for the check mark for medicals..

Lou75
22nd Feb 2011, 14:44
Me too guys !! Same problem, I've just done all the medicals and can't log anymore. It's probably normal :)

x

17leannemarie
22nd Feb 2011, 15:35
I have the same problem also!
does anybody know the following to help me also>?

Im 22 so do i still need to have a smear test as my doctor wont give me one they said i will need to pay privately because im under 25?

And do you still need to get your eyes tested if you dont currently wear glasses? this is stressfull...

ThatRedHatGirl
22nd Feb 2011, 15:55
they were supposed to be doing maintenance to the employee portal sometime soon so I expect they are doing same for recruitment site aswell.

You don't need the optical form if you never wear/need glass or ontact lens.

kiudub22
22nd Feb 2011, 16:18
hi there is a problem with their network but i advice that if your deadlines for the medicals are up,you should call them tomorrow if their networks will still be low.anyone joining 2nd may?

Mari
22nd Feb 2011, 16:18
What are your favourite layovers and why?
-I'm on the A380.
-New York: good flying hours, good shoping, good breakfast.
-Bangkok: easy flight, love the food, love the spa, I buy my DVDs. However, there is no direct BKK any more on the A380, we do a 4-day trip as we do a HongKong turnaround from Bangkok.

Are the hotels normally located in the city?
Some in the city, some at the airport.

Which destinations do we have to stay at the airport hotels... i heard LHR is? what are the others?
-I will not check all the hotels for you, sorry. London, Paris, Rome are at the airports.
-We stay on Time Square if we are in New York.
-It takes 60-90 minutes to get to the hotel in Soul. It could take 2-3 hours to get there if it's winter.
-Same thing with Moscow, tiring bus drive. You stay near the Red Square.
-They recently changed hotel in Mauritius. No beach access any more, such a pity!

I understand most of the layovers are around 24hrs.. Though which locations are longer? I heard some of the US destinations are 50hrs, as well as Sydney is sometimes 48hrs, not sure if this is still the case though..
Yes, that's correct. Toronto, Houston, Los Angeles, San Francisco are around 50 hours. New York is only 24 or 30.

As for the probation period, are we able to use ANY form of staff travel during this time? I'd imagine not, but worth a try.. haha
-I think yes, you can use id50 and id90 (maybe not unlimited but I'm not sure) because my flatmate went home twice during her probation on her off days.
-I think you can only use flyzed tickets (other airlines) after 1 year of service.
-The new ones must know it better.

In theory, just say i had 4-5 rostered days off in a row, what would my chances be of flying home to Sydney for a weekend?
-I doubt you will get 5 days off in a row. It doesn't happen nowadays.
-However, you can swap your flights for off days after probation. You might have to spend hours on the computer to find someone to swap with. That's the reason why you need patience!
-Schedueling loves giving duties like: 3 off, rest day, night turnaround, 3 off, layover. Annoying, isn't it?!
-Unfortunately, you might have to pay to be able to get rid of this little turnaround: getting one off for a Doha or Bahrain costs you 500-1000 dhs. You go to the Headquarters, give the money to your colleague, do the swap on the computer.
-It shocked me when my pilot friend told me that even pilots do this! An off day cost him 2000 dirham in January but he managed to have 10 off days in a row.
-Going home on a weekend to SYD? I think your chances are bad but you should ask the Australian crew. They should know.

I do understand most EK flights to Sydney are full, so if this was the case we do have eligibility to use ZED fares right? So would this mean i would be able to take an Etihad or V-Aus flight from Syd to Abu Dhabi (not ideal i know haha) or a QF flight to singapore and then connect from there for a similar id90 price?
-You can buy flyzed tickets unlimited after completing a year. However, you cannot see the exact loads. It's also risky but what to do.

Also how are the load factors normally for EK LHR flights?
Full, full, full. However, there are many LHR-flights a day so it's not mission impossible. I checked tomorrow's date for you as an example:
There are 5 flights tomorrow. Two of them are overbooked, two of them are half empty, one of them is almost full. On 25th all the flights seem to be full but if you are lucky you can make it. Most of the return flights are OK this week.
Again: talk to the British crew, they know the best.

Do you get much use out of staff travel/zeds? How do you find them?
-On the Cabin Crew Portal under Trips.
-After 3 years you can change your Annual Leave Destination each year. So, if you plan to go far, it's better to use the free, confirmed Annual Leave Ticket.
-You will get a Service Related Ticket every year after finishing your first contract. It's free, you only pay the taxes.
-Some crew don't know that you get a free ticket if you go home for compassionate leave (5 days). You either need to ask your manager to organize your trip or do it yourself. The cost of tickets will be given back to you with your salary but you need to keep the boarding pass and bring the birth certificate to your manager.

As far as the FACE card goes, what kind of places in Dubai can you use it at? Are they worthwhile?
Yes, it's great! Check out the homepage, no password required.
www.facecard.org (http://www.facecard.org/)

ThatRedHatGirl
22nd Feb 2011, 16:39
If you do want to go home in probation, you MUST ask your manager. I know of a girl who tried to 'sneak' and was found out- she got sacked.

It IS possible to do, but you have to clear it first. Some people think they can do whatever they like, but really it is not fair for some to break the rules to go home early when many many others had to wait the 6 months.

Yes it is tough. It's nice to go home but do be prepared in case they say no. A girl I flew with recently only went home after over 8 months in the company- she had asked to go after 5 & 1/2 (for family event) but was refused.

I think this can depend on which manager you get and also how busy is the flying (no hope over christmas/busy times)

As Mari says its possible to use combination of tickts but you need to have a second plan, just in case!!

you could get to sydney but lots of flights are full full full.....

A friend from Melbourne takes a flight to Perth then buys a ticket on domestic airline (e.g cheap from Jet Star or Tiger Air) to Melbourne...

allyNZ
22nd Feb 2011, 19:50
I have the same problem also!
does anybody know the following to help me also>?

Im 22 so do i still need to have a smear test as my doctor wont give me one they said i will need to pay privately because im under 25?

And do you still need to get your eyes tested if you dont currently wear glasses? this is stressfull...

Hello! Not sure about smears in the UK, although for the eye test, I didn't have to get mine tested as I only wear glasses for driving at night, i.e. I don't need them on a day to day basis. The opthalmic report was still pending after I had done the other medicals, so i just sent them a query & they removed it & approved the rest! Hope this helps :)

RiRi25
22nd Feb 2011, 21:16
Hi Mari,

just wanted to ask regarding the example you gave about the girl who got sacked for sneaking home.....

say for example someone gets a Vienna flight during probation, and it is i.e. a 24 hr layover, do they need to notify someone (purser, sfs) if they want to go to Bratislava (30 mins from vienna but in a different country) during the stay? or is it the person's business how they spend the layover? thanks!!

hahamong
23rd Feb 2011, 00:20
hi guys
my friend is waiting for the GC and wondering what will they say to her when she picks up
she just working again and she can't quit or shee has to pay them back
so when EK calls her what will they ask
will they ask her if she' currently working ?and if she says yes will they ask for a resignation lettre?
my friend want to go as quickly as possible
can anyone tell me the conversation during the GC

ELLENK
23rd Feb 2011, 12:29
i was wondering abt the medicals, ive just recently found out that i have an under active thyroid... do you know, or can you kindly find out if EMIRAITES will still accept me with this conditionhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gif thank you x

Lemurian
23rd Feb 2011, 17:38
I read "most" of the thread so sorry if this question has already been answered,
Is the ability to speak/read/write fluent arabic absolutely necessary to join Emirates?

Mrs Souza
23rd Feb 2011, 18:45
Hello Everyone,

Anyone with DOJ March 21st please Let me know :):).

JustinG
23rd Feb 2011, 19:07
Anyone else excited about going to an open day in LA next month?! I know I am! Definitely send me a private message if you are attending the one in LA on March 26th.

Also, to all the current cabin crews out there, I know you guys are super busy traveling around the world and you guys are all jet lagged, but if you have the time, what medical reasons will DISQUALIFY you from becoming a cabin crew? I know that Emirates has an extensive medical background check, so you don't have to list all of them but I just wanna know the big important reasons. Thanks in advance to whomever responds.

snowglobe
23rd Feb 2011, 20:23
No need to speak any arabic at all. The only language requirement is fluent english :)

perkin1
24th Feb 2011, 04:24
Sorry, a couple more questions haha...

Our family members. I read on cabincrew.com that immediate family members are now allowed 1 id90 and unlimited id50 per year? (this apparantly changed recently)
When they say 1x id90, would that just be one sector (i.e syd-dxb) or one return trip (ie syd-dxb-lhr-dxb-syd)?

I also saw that after one year of service you are given 10 wider eligibility subload tickets.. Does this still apply?? And which people can they be used on? (uncle, aunt, cousins?)

Thanks Mari for answering all those questions before, will definately have to buy you a drink once i get over there!! Your previous posts are what got me this job!!

isabel66
24th Feb 2011, 06:59
hello

is it normal to get the GC and your ek profil still "You will be contacted by your Recruitment coordinator at the earliest"
and still don't receive the medical forms?
the lady i had told me that my ek (page,profil i don't really know how to name it) will change so i can upload them
is that normal?

k_tii2
24th Feb 2011, 08:28
@mrs souza -- hi!!! my doj is march 21 :) have you completed your medicals?

nexia
24th Feb 2011, 09:18
@ Mrs Souza my DOJ is also 21st of March :O
@ k_iit2 have you got access to medical portal?

I like Weasels
24th Feb 2011, 09:21
Can anyone living in the Al Fattan building, Al Ghusais II please let me know what this place is like, are they 2 or 3 bed apartments ?, pool ?, how close to the city centre and airport ?

Thanks ILW

Mrs Souza
24th Feb 2011, 13:54
[Text speak]

Mrs Souza
24th Feb 2011, 13:59
[Text speak]

RiRi25
24th Feb 2011, 14:37
yes, it's normal. mine was like that for 3 days, it just means they are working on your account. no worries :)

isabel66
24th Feb 2011, 20:27
@RiRi25
thank you for the reply i was afraid for a moment lol

did you already upload your medicals?
i wanted to know if maybe things can go wrong and you end up not being accepted :uhoh::confused:

between who's DOJ is 11april?

Marko24
24th Feb 2011, 23:18
[Text speak]

little dazzling
25th Feb 2011, 05:18
Hello there, my DOJ is 11th April!

k_tii2
25th Feb 2011, 05:22
Anyone doing medicals notice that the most recent medical list (updated Feb 23 2011) does not require the Hep C test... but on the portal it still has the link to upload it?

Do you think I should email them to tell them to remove link? Otherwise it will keep saying I havent completed my medicals:confused:

RiRi25
25th Feb 2011, 07:53
hey :)

i did upload my medicals already, thank god. and yes they can still reject us if there is something that not right about your medical status. but i think if you read the section acceptable/unacceptable it is all pretty much there, so you should already have an idea if you will have a problem or not. i've been waiting a week now, since the upload, so i am really hoping they call this week, because the recruiter guy said, it takes anywhere up to 2 to 3 weeks, which is just way to long :O anyway, I actually aslo had DOJ April 11, but they persuaded me it would be better to move it up to April 25 because of the whole resignation process.

Mrs Souza
25th Feb 2011, 11:26
@k_tii2 Hey ... I think you should submit a query on the portal. :)

Marko24
25th Feb 2011, 12:08
Who else is going on 11th April??

betheresoon
25th Feb 2011, 13:16
All the best of luck to everyone on pprune going for Ghana AD 26/27 :ok:. May the good Lord be with us through :)

All the best of luck to ppruners. cheers :ok::D

snowglobe
25th Feb 2011, 13:35
Do they need us to supply written references from employers? Or do we just give them contact details and they contact the employer themselves? Thanks!

isabel66
25th Feb 2011, 13:49
thank you RiRi25 again
i read that on internet now and i think i have to gain more weight ;; but i saw that ek doesn't accept depression and this is what is more important,thank god i don't suffer from it
as for skin they don't ask about allergies, like sun allergy?

you already did your medicals
will they ask you about your medical history? well i don't have one since i don't get seriously sick when i was a child

i'm curious about wether they'll check your legs once in dubai or no
(i have small brown spots due to insect bites )

wish we will all meet in Dubai

Njaria
25th Feb 2011, 18:14
Hi all, anyone joining 28th March? and have your medicals been approved?

Sushi lover
25th Feb 2011, 19:09
Hi everyone,
My Doj is 28 Feb and I'm going to live in Obaidulla Building, Al Qusais.
Has anyone heard anything about it?
Thank you very much

nanu
26th Feb 2011, 14:58
Hey to all :)...just wanted to know..is there any news about the guys?...is it speeding up a bit?...i have not seen a post for a longer period, about that? any guys gettin their GC after 6 weeks? any hold emails?...thanks so much for the reply...it will be 5 weeks on monday for me :) ...

isabel66
26th Feb 2011, 16:31
hey guys
finally my ek profil was updated
there is few things i don't understand
i accepted the contract but should i print it,signed it and upload it somewhere again?

for this part

In order to complete your security checks, please upload the following documents

Passport copy (Valid for minimum 6 months)
Recent Passport size(4.5 * 5.5 cm) photograph on white background

ok i don't understand what should i upload
they ask me to ask a picture size picture when they ask for documents
what to do xD

EKiFLY
26th Feb 2011, 19:00
[Text speak]

RiRi25
26th Feb 2011, 19:44
i think you will find the answers to your post from yesterday now that you can open your profile :)

as for the contract, that was actually the same thing I was wondering. But i just ended up clicking agree, and a little check sign appeared next the contract. So I really don't think it actually needs to me printed and signed and then uploaded, also because I didn't really see anywhere where it could be uploaded.. But maybe I am wrong, and in the that case, someone please correct me :)

as for the security docs, you need to scan them over a regular passport photo ( i sent them a total different photo from the ones I submitted at the FI, because I figured they needed one, where my teeth are not showing? I think they need it for the visa or something) and the second thing you need to send them is a scan of your passport. so just take your actual passport, open it on the page where it shows your photo, name etc and just put it in the scanner. again, this is what i understood from it :) hope this helps

nybkumad
26th Feb 2011, 19:53
at JewelF thank you very much...i'm reading them one by one...lol:)

isabel66
26th Feb 2011, 23:57
Thank you RiRi25 agaiiin

so i just have to scan the first two pages of the passport or the six pages that have the passport's number and the date of issue?
as for the picture,should i take a new one where i'm not smiling or just upload the one i gave on the AD and F.I?

i don't understand how can i upload that since they only give me the right to upload Passport size photograph

i"m sorry for being a bother :(:(
as i don't understand how to do those medicals lol
there is no form i have to fulfil i only have to take the medicals list and do one by one but as i asked before i don't have a medical history so what should i do?

they also gave me some international doctors list so i was wondering,should i really go to them so my medicals will be approved? i wanted to go to a hospital rather than a clinic cause the international doctors list they gave me are the most expensive ones on my country

RiRi25
27th Feb 2011, 08:30
hmm not sure what you passport looks like. my passport, when i open it up has all the information, picture and date of issue etc. on 2 pages. If you have all these infos on more than 2 pages, then I think you should have all these 4-5 pages of passport on the same A4, for example: make a copy of page 1 & 2, then open up the passport on pages 3&4 put it in the scanner, and put the paper copy on top of the passport, and then make the scan. that way you'll have all the pages in one document.
the passport photo... I'm not sure if it is supposed to be a non-smiley one, I just happened to have non-smiley ones, so I figured since they already have smiley ones I will send the other ones, because on official documents such as passports, visas etc. I don't think you are allowed to have smiley photos.
the doctors.... I think you should avoid the list they gave you, and just go to your regular ones, at least that's what i did. Even if you don't have any medical history, like me, I've never had a surgery, never had anything broken and was never in the hospital, you still have to prove that. You need to get all your blood tests, you need the x ray of lungs and teeth, you need your dentist and eye doctor to fill out the forms, and stamp them, and you need all the vaccinations, and then of course you need to fill out the declaration with all the YES/NO fields.
anyway good luck with the tests, they're a pain to do but what must be done, must be done :)

isabel66
27th Feb 2011, 11:21
thank you a lot RiRi25
i'm releaved now that you told me i can go to a regular doctors,you don't know how much expensive a small consultation to one of those clinic, i can imagine doing all medicals there i'll end up selling my thing hahaha :O
now i think i'm going to a public hospital and for HIV test i'll go to HIV association they can do it for free
i didn't thought i have to do an x ray for my teeth,only that coast 100$
i will start with my medicals this week,i'm afraid it will take a lot of time and i hope the results will rather be positive
thank you again RiRi25

ally23x
27th Feb 2011, 15:27
Hello!

Regarding the contract, you do not have to upload any pages of it, as you said RIRI only tick that box. They will hand you over a hard copy on your first day of your induction :)

About the picture smyle/ no smyle...if you read the important notes document on the right hand side of your portal, you noticed that you will need to bring with you 10 passport photo with smile and 2 5x5cm size without smile, clear face and no earings. The first 10, as well as the photo you need to upload are for UAE and company use...so they can be with smyle. And preferably send a photo with smyle as it will be on your residence visa :D Regarding the other photos, they are for usa visa purposes, and they need to be without a smyle, no hair on your forehead(at least both your eyebrows to be visible) and no earings!!

About the medicals. The ophtalmologic report you do not need to upload it, if you don't have any eye problems. In fact to speed up the process you can send them a query regarding this and they will remove the link for that document (if you don't send them this query/email...they will send you an email asking if you have eye problems and you will have to reply)

the rest of the checks can be done at any doctor as long as they are accurate, in english(or translated into english bu an authorised translator - no need for notarial legalisation) and have the appopiate doctor's stamp and signature.

it is important to upload the documents within the time frame of 2 weeks. if you cannot do that, advise them of how more time you will need! After you have completed uploading everything you can check if they have visualised the documents by seeing that out of the 2 links each uploaded document has (remove and view) it will remain only 1 - view link. after they have seen the documents it can take between 2 days and 3 weeks (from what i've heard) until you get your Final Approval (via an sms and email).

Good luck to everyone!

isabel66
27th Feb 2011, 16:25
About the medicals. The ophtalmologic report you do not need to upload it, if you don't have any eye problems. In fact to speed up the process you can send them a query regarding this and they will remove the link for that document (if you don't send them this query/email...they will send you an email asking if you have eye problems and you will have to reply

i don't have eye problems and i don't wear glasses but i didn't really understand what should i write to them
can you help me write it and where to write it,i can't seem to see where
i suck with formalities and filling the blanks lol :O:O
thank you a lot

RiRi25
27th Feb 2011, 19:32
@isabel66, yea the medicals do get pricy, i spent probably 250-300euros on everything, even though i got some things done on my insurance. the things that cost the most are all the vaccinations and teeth things :/

@ally, i was just wondering what kind of clothes do we have to wear during the training??? thanks

ally23x
28th Feb 2011, 12:30
@ isabel

Simply access the portal and you will see on the bottom of the page a section where you can post queries. Simply post: Ophtalmologic report(subject): I finished uploading all the requiered documents except for the ophtalmolog report as I read that is not necessary to upload it if i don't have any ophtalmologic problems. How should I proceed with the remaining link? ...this just came to me you could also go for: I do not need to wear glasses and I do not have any ophtalmological condition, do I need to upload the document in blank or how do I proceed? ...I really don't remember how I said it, sorry.

@riri

Once you will have your final approval, you will have access to your pre-training workbook, where you will find details about what you will have to wear during training. Anyway, they will provide you with 2 red t-shirts and you have to bring from home a pair of black pants, black shoes(not sportive, but no heels) and a black cardigan (even though when you will come here it will be very hot outside, inside you will freeze due to the air condition).

isabel66
28th Feb 2011, 16:58
thank you a lot ally23x
i submitted the question,now i still don't know what should i upload for security documents as my passeport has six pages one for the the number,another one for the name,then another page for the picture than the date,too much

JewelF
28th Feb 2011, 20:37
With any photo editing software e.g. photoshop, corel paint shop pro..ect..inbox me and i'll send you my email addy. I can do it for you. If its what has to be done.

perkin1
28th Feb 2011, 23:06
You can upload them as separate pages. Don't worry that's what I did an I just got my final approval yesterday ;)

lilyjardine
28th Feb 2011, 23:56
Hi my DOJ is 11th of April also! Just waiting to do the medicals!

ellie22
1st Mar 2011, 05:40
Perkin-How long did it take to get final approval after you uploaded your medical docs?Is the FA a call or just an email?

dandelion
1st Mar 2011, 08:28
hi everyone :)

I went for an open day on saturday and had my final interview yesterday.
I think I did okay during the interview however I got asked to do another personal test as well as the test of the shapes after the interview, some people got both, some people got just one of them and some others got to do none! I wonder why :confused:
Anyone else had the same?

Well ...into the waiting game now! Fingers crossed! Goodluck everyone x :)

RiRi25
1st Mar 2011, 08:49
hey perkin , congrats on the FA, i know you've been waiting for a really long time. anyway, i was just wondering if you could answer my q. i uploaded my medicals, my contract, and joiners form both have the little check thingie, however my security docs and medicals don't. I suppose the medicals will have the check thing once they approve it, however I'm concerned about the security docs... I've uploaded both documents, and it's still there. Is this okay? or could it be somehow hindering my FA? thanks :)

perkin1
1st Mar 2011, 11:30
As long as the right corresponding documents/scans are uploaded it should be fine.
My security docs were checked off I think after a day, and medicals were 8 days after I uploaded them all.
It varies though. Don't worry, if there's a problem with anything they will email/call you. I think they just prioritize it on how soon your doj is and whether you need a notice period.

FA is just an email with 'advise to resign' as the header. You'll also See this reflect on your portal when you login.

charnel
1st Mar 2011, 15:44
Hey,
I just a have a question, which bank is considered to be the best one in Dubai for internationals working there, how is it with credit cards, and generally what is the impression of banking in UAE.
I will be very grateful for any information.

RiRi25
1st Mar 2011, 17:26
it sure does vary :D i have my meds uploaded for 2 weeks and no checks on either :D but thanks

isabel66
1st Mar 2011, 17:28
hey RiRi25

it's funny how i still didn't submit any security documents yet they have been "completed" i don't understand how it happened,i sent them a query about that

i wanted to asked about medicals again
should i only fill the appendix and scan them or should i add a doctor report
and once in dubai will they check again our health to see if the reports are accurate (same goes to vaccin)

allyNZ
1st Mar 2011, 18:57
hey RiRi25

it's funny how i still didn't submit any security documents yet they have been "completed" i don't understand how it happened,i sent them a query about that

i wanted to asked about medicals again
should i only fill the appendix and scan them or should i add a doctor report
and once in dubai will they check again our health to see if the reports are accurate (same goes to vaccin) Hey Isabel!

This also happened with my security documents - I went to upload them one day & it said they had already been completed! I assumed this was because the recruiters actually take copies of these documents at the FI (passport photos and passport copy). I didn't query it and proceeded to continue with medicals.

As far as medical uploading goes - I just uploaded exactly what was required on the portal (there should be a list of documents to upload in the drop down box) and have kept all of my original reports/paperwork etc in a safe place to take with me to Dubai.

I believe we have another round of medicals at the EK clinic during induction, however not our expense (luckily!!).

Hope this helps :)

x

Fingerzcrossed
1st Mar 2011, 19:52
Hi everybody any one from Lebanon who was invited to join the coming assessment day this April ? I will be attending my second assessment day since 1 year till now, wish me luck guys and any advices will be appreciated ... peace all .

isabel66
1st Mar 2011, 21:10
thank you allyNZ

it was helpful

today i will start all the medicals if nothing went wrong but i'm still wondering about the smear test is it obligatory
because i don't see why should i do it since i was never active but i don't know what should i write down

perkin1
1st Mar 2011, 22:51
Just circle 'not applicable, or not indicated' (I forget which one says)
you can also leave a message on the portal explaining you've never been active and they'll remove it for you.

xxpaulaxx
2nd Mar 2011, 09:54
Hi guys, could anyone tell me if there is any swimming test during the training period? Is it a must that you have to be able to swim? I've been looking for the answer everywhere and some said yes, some said no, so I just want to confirm with you. Thank you!

LINDAHEIDIUK
2nd Mar 2011, 10:33
Hi guys,
Just to let you know, 5 days left. I received my visa today, e-ticket is coming soon and accomodations details are in progress.
My doj is March 7th...

:)

want_to_fly
2nd Mar 2011, 12:20
@ xxpaulaxx: You will not be asked to swim on the day of the OD so dont worry about it.

@LINDAHEIDIUK: I am very excited for you! I wish I could have that right now but am yet to attend an OD in 4 more weeks! So I wish you all the best and keep us updated :) Happy flying!

RiRi25
2nd Mar 2011, 14:42
yea it happened to my batchmates too, i wish it would happen to me too!! :D sometimes i get all paranoid that that is the reason maybe why I haven't gotten my FA yet, because it has that 'in progress' sign, so maybe they're thinking i'm still actually working on it.

gela1009
2nd Mar 2011, 18:06
hi did anybody attend the new york open day? how was it? thanks:)

Milly26
2nd Mar 2011, 21:29
I was wondering if someone coud answer the following for me please?
In regards to staff travel, is it possible for staff to travel business class etc if they pay the difference on their ID90 discount? or only permitted to travel Economy?

perkin1
2nd Mar 2011, 21:56
Only Y class (economy). Unless you're a purser you get J. (all subload)
if you use flyzed interline fares with other airlines that are around the same cost as an Id90 it's not unheard of to get given an upgrade, for example if Y class is full, but there's still one seat left in J class many airlines will move you into that seat. Not ek though.

albertotmc
3rd Mar 2011, 00:10
Hi everyone; i received my GC yesterday after two "on hold" mails, thats awesome!!!!

Jfro
3rd Mar 2011, 02:39
albertotmc (http://www.pprune.org/members/347129-albertotmc),

how long did the on holds go for? and congrats!!

LINDAHEIDIUK
3rd Mar 2011, 08:53
Hi everyone,
I got my accomodations details : Razooki Building Al Nahda II
I have used the search thread :) but I would like to hear from people who live there...
Do you like the area ? Please any feedback would be very nice....

crazzygirl
3rd Mar 2011, 09:39
hi,I'm new on this forum,I am romanian,but I work in Thailand for now and I just applied online last week.I really hope they will contact me soon.

I saw on their website that they have open days on the 6th of March in KL,but I don't know if I should go if I applied online already( it says applicatin submitted).
this part of waiting is killing me

gen6
3rd Mar 2011, 10:02
Hi guys, I'm still waiting, does anybody know a phone number for the emirates HR office in Dubai, I couldn't find anywhere.....I want to give them a call to ask about my status, waiting 8th week now :rolleyes:
I wrote them an email but no reply yet.

expatinaction
3rd Mar 2011, 10:06
If it is definitely an Open day and not an assessment day then I see no reason why you should not go? If you feel you are prepared for it and ready to make the move then to go to the OD it can't hurt your chances!! I work for EY and have never been to an EK OD or AD but check back on the forum and find out the company procedure. If they are like EY you only have one day to deal with (AD that is - I've never been to an EY OD) if they are like QR the process lasts for three days if you are successful at the different stages and you will have to determine if that is feesible for you to be prepared/able to be in KL for three days. Good luck.

Mari
3rd Mar 2011, 10:19
What else do you wanna know beside what was mentioned?! You are moving in a couple of days, anyways. If you are really really that curious, write to that 5 people who got Razooki. It would be nice to post your own experience later on.

I doubt that there is anyone who actually likes the area. The area is the disadvantage of This building.

nanu
3rd Mar 2011, 10:20
Hey gen6...i dont know the number but i doubt it will speed up the process...if you are a male..we have to wait, at best, for 8-9 weeks...one guy got the call after 9 weeks of waiting..and as you can see, that is, read, in albertotmc case, he waited much, much longer...alberto congratulations btw :D...when is your doj?
i was told on my fi that the answer comes in 6 weeks but...they said it might take longer because they are having problems with the training...i think they meant they have a backlog of males :O...but the good news is..it seems that it is speeding up..the guys are starting to get the calls..as i gather, no more on hold e-mails are being sent...so thats good news..and there are a lot of od for march and april, so they need people...we have to be patient...i know its hard to wait, but it will come soon :)..good luck to all :)

Aussie-EmiratesCC
3rd Mar 2011, 10:25
Hi LINDAHEIDIUK,

My DOJ was also 7th March but they moved it till the 8th of March - is this also the case for you ?

Kassie
3rd Mar 2011, 10:27
I'm gearing up for my second OD in Trinidad on the 16 April, so scared but at the same time so nervous. I really hope i learn from all my mistakes last time and the recruiters maybe favour me, Going in full force . I read all the posts and really hope I make it to the FI again and maybe this time to Dubai...Keeping all fingers crossed:ok:

LINDAHEIDIUK
3rd Mar 2011, 10:59
@Mari
Hey Mari... how are you doing ?? :)
Yes I did already but most of them are not present on this forum anymore unless maybe "purelife"
But yes I know I moving anyway in a couple of days but of course I'm curious !!

It can not be only bad points about this area, and I was looking for some advantages to live there ?! ((:)First it is FREE:ok:))
If there is any facilities around ?

@Aussie-EmiratesCC I have sent you an PM :)

Ele87
3rd Mar 2011, 11:09
hey

no there is no swimming test. all we did was practise an evacuation in the water and we floated around with our life jackets on, this was towards the end of our SEP. There is no testing on your ability to swim clothed especially on the OD... goodluck Im sure you'll do great

JewelF
3rd Mar 2011, 11:44
Guys a reminder of the medical exams we have to do? I was to secure a place down here real quick. A list anyone?

LINDAHEIDIUK
3rd Mar 2011, 12:09
Do not be lazy search this thread :E:E:E:E

toby1236
3rd Mar 2011, 12:44
Anyone else have a DOJ of April 4?

gen6
3rd Mar 2011, 13:12
Hey, Nanu :) I actually found the number...it was on the pages you fill in and sign on the assessment day before FI,the yellow pages with the Emirates logo. The numbers are for the HR office in Dubai. I called them today and only voice mail, will call them on Sunday since I know this is their working day, they rest at fri/sat. We'll see :rolleyes:
Also I didn't get any on hold emails or any mails at all.

crazzygirl
3rd Mar 2011, 13:18
thank you for replaying.I will do my best to go to KL this sunday,I hope I can sort it out at my current job( i need are entru permit for my thai visa)and is short notice.
If I won't make it ,I really hope they'll call me for the AD on 17th (still KL)
when you attend OD,what should you wear?the suit?or smart casual?thank you.

Mari
3rd Mar 2011, 13:26
Linda, there are no good points about the area.

Buildings are OK.

JewelF
3rd Mar 2011, 14:30
:p lol. Fine i'll search the thread. I saw it some time earlier and didnt take note. So now i'll go search LOL! sucks!

hahahah the post was previously posted by you. niceee!

For everyone.. this is the list :p

HIV TEST
HEPATITIS B (HBsAg) TEST
HEPATITIS C (hCV) TEST
VDRL (Syphilys) TEST
HAEMOGLOBIN LEVEL
CHEST X RAY
CERVICAL SMEAR
VACCINATION CERTIFICATE
DENTAL HEALTH CERTIFICATE + X RAYS

Ophtalmic report (ONLY if you need to wear glasses or contacts lenses or have undergone corrective eye surgery)

kumovagabond
3rd Mar 2011, 15:47
Hello fellows, last sunday i went to the Open day, i think that i did fine, but i still didnt get the invitation for the assessment day, so i began to think what could´ve happened. Probably they dont invite me because i am allergic to dust, or because i am little bit overweight, i really want to figure it out! what do you think? :confused:

crazzygirl
3rd Mar 2011, 16:25
keep up the faith,I dont't think that being alergic to dust is an issue,there's no dust on planes and being a bit overweight,like 2-3 kg over your hight is ok,i know that from a friend who made it to the AD (she's 1.65 and 66 kg)

swimming_gal
3rd Mar 2011, 17:58
I made it to the FI but did not have my casual or full length photos. They told me I could email them. Is it ok that I didn't have them and will they hold that against me? I live 5 hours from where the interviews were and I had no access to any pictures.

TriniEK
3rd Mar 2011, 18:59
Hi Kassie

I am attending also. This would be my third attempt and I don't intend to give up. This is the career I've always dreamed of since growing up as a child.

One question. Did you have a cover letter with your CV?

On both occassions I had and even though I updated my CV I was unsuccessful.:{ Any tips you would mind sharing?

Milly26
3rd Mar 2011, 20:32
Hi Guys, just FYI. i actually called HR yesterday to check my appl progress, it has been over 7 weeks now. I didn't get a lot out of them but he said it is taking a little longer to process at the moment and i should hear back within the next few weeks!
I hope calling them to check doesn't put a black mark against my name though lol.....
Definetly a positive there aren't to many hold emails coming out anymore :D

@swimming girl re: pictures
As long as you get them in within the two months it says on the form you get before your FI it will be fine! I had my interview in another state of Australia and didn't have anything like that with me, i just sent it through as soon as i got home a few days later!:)

ellie22
3rd Mar 2011, 23:47
swimming_gal- I traveled interstate for my interview and I had pretty much nothing that they needed with me, so I emailed it all when I got back home. They definitely dont hold that against you so no need to worry.

Also with calling to follow up on your application, I called a few times to follow up. Its not a problem...as long as your not calling every second day haha

Good luck to all those waiting for GCs.
Anyone else joining 21st March please PM me :)

albertotmc
4th Mar 2011, 00:47
My FI was in september, so I wait a looong time.. my DOJ is April 4th....

allyNZ
4th Mar 2011, 04:26
Hi AlbertoMC & Toby!

I am also joining on April 4th.

Are you on FB? PM me!

RugRatz
4th Mar 2011, 05:45
Hi all,

I got a curious question~

There's gonna be an interview in KL this Sunday..
however, in the advert that was posted in local newspapers.. it says that 'fluency in verbal and written mandarin/cantonese is essential'...
if i can speak but cant read/write... should i still attend the interview?

Mari
4th Mar 2011, 08:37
No, you don't meet the minimum requirements.

Kassie
4th Mar 2011, 10:43
Hi TriniEK,

Yes I had a cover letter but someone told me they don't really look at it, but i believe that recruiters as i do have some HR educational background can tell alot about the person and their aims and objectives by their cover letter. All I can tell you is write a cover letter like you are selling yourself, make sure all your good traits are within the wellbeing and suited to tailor their company. Attach a pretty picture with a nice smile. My last recruiters told me its all about the smile and I love to smile :O...Did you just went to the open day and didn't make it to the assessment?:rolleyes:

loowla
4th Mar 2011, 11:39
i wonder when emirates is recruiting in kenya. . .applied for Qatar airways and iv gotten an invitation to the first interview. . .but after seeing what people have blogged about the company i don't even think i'l go for the interview. . there are almost no positive comments about the company out of like 79 pages. . .that to me screams WARNING DANGER AHEAD :mad:

crazzygirl
4th Mar 2011, 14:25
hi everyone,I wonder if I have applied online and not attending the OD,there shouldn't be a problem to be invited for AD,right?(if my profile matches with what they're looking for)
does anyone knows in how many days they'll get back to you after the OD for the AD?(if the AD is 2 weeks after?)
my email is send2(underscore)kate at yahoo dot com
congratulations to everyone who made it so far and good luck to the ones waiting

Marko24
4th Mar 2011, 18:57
Isabel, if you have at least 5-6 days until deadline for medicals i think you can fix it, and you can do blood test again.
What you have to do is just to eat every day next salat:
use grater for one beet (red), one apple, and one carrot
squeeze lemon on it and add honey
Also it is very valuable if you have possibility to find nettle tea, to drink it as much as you can.
Belive me this can improve your blood at all..
Wish you luck! Take care!

nanu
4th Mar 2011, 19:09
hey isabel...i am sorry but..on the medical list it is stated that anemia is not acceptable..that is..if you have the hemoglobin count under 10 g..did you upload it already?...maybe you were just a bit sick when you did the blood test? can you do it again?..and maybe talk to the doctor before?..maybe it is just something that can be fixed now?...sorry again:sad:...but dont give up just yet..if you didnt upload it..go to the doctor...try to sort it out..

isabel66
4th Mar 2011, 19:20
those past months i was busy at work and school at the same time so i didn't rest nor sleep much,so this was a result of months of fatigue
i don't know what ek will think if i go there and be retested again on there clinic,will i have to comeback to my home because of hemoglobin

Mari
4th Mar 2011, 22:25
Isabel,

the requirement is written down. Black and white.

I repeat: black and white. An office girl only sees what's written. Black and white. (There is no need to post about it on a forum. There WILL BE a problem as you already know.)

You will be asked to repeat the test for sure. Pull yourself together.

(Photoshop??? Doctor who knows you??? Fake it!! AND GET BETTER. Did you send it already? You know what, just fake it for the second time. Nobody cares. Make it look real. You are a clever girl. No worries.)

I might be a cold, cruel and horrible woman but these problems are so unreal for me. I've been flying for 6 years, smoked and drank a lot. I didn't get my period when I joined as I worked so-so much and lifted heavy weights before: still my results were perfect. (Unbelievable!) I just had a blood test: all acceptable, all perfect. Everything. (Unbelievable!!! Considering the flying hours I did the last couple of months and the amount of alcohol I had taken...)

What do you, guys do and eat??? Seriously...

What I can say here (and I hope my manager doesn't read this...) fake your results. Scan them. Tests are not that strict in Dubai. It will be just a urine test for drugs and pregnancy. That's all. Not a big a deal. (Well, not a big deal but some people fail: who are actually pregnant or took drugs recently. Or have HIV. Yes, there is a blood test for that.)

Make it good for the second time. Otherwise you will be rejected and it will be the End of the Road for you and join the ppruners who for example have just a little tiny heart problem and got rejected. (Really? What a surprise!)

Your results need to be immaculate. And that's the end of this discussion.

Cover letter.

Not required.

Who cares about cover leeters?????

Don't even bother to write one...

What you need is a short, stuctured cv. One page. CUSTOMER SERVICE BACKGROUND. That's what they look at. Working abroad and other languages: that's what they love.

Not rocket science: the homepage says it all. Take your time and look at it. Couple of times.

isabel66
4th Mar 2011, 22:47
haha mary
thank you for your answer but i didn't understand what you meant
so even though i have a low hemoglobine level they will still accept me?
or your answer was just for ironie :O

Mari
4th Mar 2011, 23:00
No, they will NOT accept you.

Your results NEED TO BE immaculate.

isabel66
4th Mar 2011, 23:37
well,i already know that,that's why i will rest and eat more then redo them
i was just afraid if i join and my hemoglobine level gets low again,will i have to comeback home

Milly26
5th Mar 2011, 03:20
Hey,

Ok so this is probably the most random question on this forum but i was just wondering about Cabin Crew getting to experience the Flight Deck. It is probably a question for any current crew. - if you could be of any help?
Say on your first flight etc is there an opportunity to maybe ride up front for a take off and or landing?

Just curious on that! :O

Cheers

ThatRedHatGirl
5th Mar 2011, 06:22
Milly, yes, a trip to the flight deck is part of your supy flight program, so you can get an idea of the workload of the pilots during takeoff & landing, and know where things are (equipment, how to adjust the seats etc)

Depending on the flight you are also given the chance to do walkaround with the captain to see the aircraft from outside, s/he will show you the major parts and features of the air craft. It's fun :)

Re: haemoglobin. Mari is right. You NEED to be in the range specified on the sheets. Low hameoglobin is usually because of lack of rest/sleep and poor diet. Some red meat should fix you right up.

Some chemist sells a test for your haemoglobin, you can check it yourself before you go for the proper blood test.

Do as others say and eat & sleep well for a week or so before you re-take the test. Just tell them you having trouble getting an appointment. Is difficult for women as most of us will be iron-deficient as some point. Every so often I will get that way and usually the dr will either give me a supplement or tell me to eat more of red meat... usually is related to having a heavy period at the same time as working a lot. I doubt they would send you home for it after joining (if your levels are fine at joining) so long as it was only temporary and not ongoing for a long time. (My guess is they would refer you to clinic for a meal plan/medications to see if it helps before sending you home.)

If diet/rest does not help then obviously it could be some other problem. But like you said, what happened recently could have affected the test (e.g. if you tested right after your monthly.... bad idea! hahahaha)

winky wing
5th Mar 2011, 07:02
Hi Mari...

I'm newbie here, and I find lots of useful informations in this forum.

I just would like to know what is the age maximum age limit to join EK as a cabin crew. I'm going to be 33 years old next month,I have customer service background at some airlines, but not as a cabin crew. I'm married, have one child and my husband doesn't mind if I have this job someday. He doesn't mind if I'm going to live far away from them...

What criteria exactly are they looking for? In my condition, I'm 32 right now, have some customer service experience, but don't have any flying experience. Should I apply for this job or shouldn't?...:O

Many thanks for the reply.....:)

charnel
5th Mar 2011, 08:34
I just wanted to share the good news with you. 9.36 in the morning i got my GC, even if it is Saturday in Dubai, so rumours can be confirmed. As nice guy explained they are working overtime :)
So my DOJ is 25th April, since everything earlier is full.
At this point I would like to thank everyone here for sharing their stories and thoughts, special thanks to Mari and ThatRedHatGirl, you both are fountains of knowledge, it is a blessing hat you are here! It all helped me a lot to prepare for my AD and FI and to wait those 16 weeks. I also would like to wish luck to those who are still waiting.
Thank you all!

RiRi25
5th Mar 2011, 09:32
@charnel

hey, my doj is also april 25!! maybe we will be in the same ab initio course :)

@isabel66

i wish you luck with the blood retake, and don't give up :) think positive

snowglobe
5th Mar 2011, 10:25
I get my haemoglobin levels checked regularly and they go up and down all the time. Everyones does. You can fix it in a matter of days. Just take iron tablets and eat red meat then do your test again.

You dont need to photoshop your results or lie to get in, its easier to just get your haemoglobin levels up for real.

Amir_NYC
5th Mar 2011, 10:52
Hey,

Did anyone have a similar situation... Had to change DOJ?

My DOJ is March 21st. My medicals were all approved. My next step was to submit my letter of resignation from my current employer :ugh:
I am currently in the middle of 2 projects and my employer said he will sign my letter of resignation if I complete the projects I'm working on.(April. 8th) Which is fair.. I wouldn't want to just drop everything and leave. BUT... I hope this doesnt jeopardize my future with Emirates.

I sent HR a message on my candidate portal and currently waiting a reply :*

I got this far... would hate for them to reject me for not being available on DOJ... I hope they see this as me being responsible and completing my current assignments.

RiRi25
5th Mar 2011, 11:04
i really don't think they would hold it against you at all. my HR coordinator actually persuaded me to change my DOJ to a later date, just so I leave my job on good terms honoring my leave period (at that time i had no idea how long it actually takes to get the FA) no worries :)

Amir_NYC
5th Mar 2011, 12:55
Thanks for the positive feedback RiRi.... ;)
I'm hopeful that it will be ok... Just hate the anticipation of waiting for a reply.:cool:

oijsx
5th Mar 2011, 21:52
Hey guys! My joining flight is next Tuesday and I'm taking a connection flight where the weight limit is 20 kgs. As I expected, Emirates FedExed me an excess baggage voucher, however, for an extra 20 kilos only!:* That leaves me with only 40 kilos instead of 50. How does it work?? If I'm taking 50 kilos and pay the extra at the airport, will Emirates reimburse this fee once I get to Dubai?? In this case, should I ask the receipt showing my name or Emirates'? Thanks!

KingofEK
5th Mar 2011, 23:48
Hi all of you !
I did the EK preselections with their accredited agent IAC in Tunisia from which i did my cabin crew training and was informed that i've been successfull in all the preliminary selections but nothing done yet! could you provide me of any tips /details about the teamwork and face to face ( things to do , not to do ) tests that i feel more confortable i really want to get that job ! And yes i have such questions : Is emirates considering the physical criteria more than education and do i have my chances if i have never worked before and just got my A level followed by a first year at University ? After getting through the face to face, how do i know if i m shortlisted means i will be contacted ?
Thank you so much for a feedback and again congratulations for the new joiners !!! i read most of your topics ( FI, DOJ, GC) and im soo excited i imagine if i could reach this stage !!!

MontiChap
7th Mar 2011, 06:33
Any fellow South Africans been invited to the recruitment days in a few days' time?

Daisy Akinyi
8th Mar 2011, 14:05
My fellow hopefuls, am in a state of confusion and need your advice. I attended emirates interviews last year in my country...but apparently, i never made it to the final stage. I was told to apply again after 6months...i have been waiting patiently for 6 months to elapse then i start reapplying, But again, am so worried, how long will it take for them to call me again for their next interviews after i have reapplied? I really like this job, its been my childhood dream and i cant wait for the day i will start working with an airline, emirates being my first priority. Please anybody out there who went through the same...and still had the opportunity for another interview....please tell me how long it took before they called you for another interview. Did you make it through? Kindly...let me know, thanx

Amir_NYC
8th Mar 2011, 18:22
Daisy you dont need to wait for Emirates to call you for an interview. You can check on the website:

https://ekgrpapplications.emirates.com/careersonlineapps/CC_OPENDAYS/CabinCrewOpenDays.aspx?j=f&pub=/english

They have Open Days....Open for everyone.
Go to that link. It has a List of all the Open Days for March and April. If you dont see your county or a city near you just keep checking for future days.

KingofEK
8th Mar 2011, 20:24
Hello everyone ! As i have NO idea about what will be the recruitment, I would know about the EK tests and if someone could help me of any tips ( things to do , not to do ect) when doing the teamwork and the face to face

i attend the selection process soon ! If someone that has any relevant experience to talk about or any feedback, he would be very welcome ! THank you so much guys

JewelF
8th Mar 2011, 22:00
Good News Guyz..

Emirates on recruitment drive to hire 4,000 crew
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/incoming/article362559.ece/ALTERNATES/g3l/101874972.jpg

Emirates Airline, Dubai’s flagship carrier, plans to hire 4,000 cabin crew over the 2011/2012 financial year to keep pace with its rapid expansion, the airline said Tuesday.
The hiring spree will take Emirate’s total cabin crew to 16,000, the Arab world’s biggest airline said in an emailed statement.

Emirates, which was this week named the world’s third largest airline by capacity, has squeezed its western rivals with multibillion-dollar plane purchases and rapid network expansion in lucrative long-haul routes in Asia, Europe and North America.

The Dubai carrier has announced fresh routes into France, Switzerland and Denmark in the first quarter alone, with additional flight frequencies expected this year.

Emirates has an existing fleet of 151 planes with a further 200 on order, including 120 Airbus A380 superjumbos.

The state-backed airline said earlier this month it planned to raise ticket costs on certain routes as oil market speculation sent fuel costs soaring.

source: http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emirates-on-recruitment-drive-hire-4-000-crew-385449.html (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emirates-on-recruitment-drive-hire-4-000-crew-385449.html)

This is really really really good news for us who are attending ODs & ADs this year and next year. With the open spaces, alot of on-hold people are getting their GCs now and for us new people, we still have to be ready and prepared. Not because they're taking on 4000new CC means we're garanteed a spot as EK in one month gets thousands of applications.:(

But never the less, it means that alot more people are going to be hired than the average amount per year from 2010 and back. Fingers crossed people! Fingers crossed. My OD is on the 16th of April here in Trinidad. Wish me luck everyone! That i'll be joining Emirate's multi-cultural and international team in a few weeks.

Best wishes to all of us. May we all achieve success in life whether its with or without EK.
:ok::ok::ok:

winky wing
8th Mar 2011, 23:18
hii...
can someone help me on this topic pleasee..:confused:
thanks a zillion....:ok::8

JewelF
8th Mar 2011, 23:37
The general info i gathered is that ek's age limit is 35 years but i've recently heard of some women getting hired at 33years. But, they didnt look a day over 24.

Kassie
8th Mar 2011, 23:57
Hey ! If you back track to previous posts all through this forum you will get all the information you need for the AD just go back and review its all here...Good luck with your AD

KingofEK
9th Mar 2011, 01:31
[Text speak]

Mari
9th Mar 2011, 01:33
How many times do you want to ask this question?! Go for an Open Day and you will see!!!!!! Just try!

KingofEK
9th Mar 2011, 01:37
[Text speak]

Teddy_86
9th Mar 2011, 12:04
Does someboby know what will happen if I don't wait for an year after the final interview (I was not successful) and I go again to the assesment day after 10 months?
There is OD in my city next month and I don't want to miss it, but it will be the 10th month after the disappointing FI and now I don't know what to do. Please, guys, if you know something...tell me!

Queen Christine
9th Mar 2011, 13:07
hey guys! I'm new to this site, so still finding my way around ",)

I'm going to the Emirates prelim interview in Cape Town, SA on the 18th of MArch. I went to one in Sep as well and I didn't get very far. I would love to fly for emirates, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some PROPPer and useful tips into wat they're looking for?? Does anyone know? I didnt get after they asked me where I was working/reach test. passed reach test but explained that I wasnt working at the time I was in my final year of studies. Is that perhaps the reason? Do they want you to be working? is there any research I can do about Emirates in order to prepare myself?

Please let me know if you know of anything :D

winky wing
9th Mar 2011, 13:10
thanks a zillion....appreciate it...:ok:

Dear Mari...

I just want to make sure...because, I doubt if I'm still qualified for this job....
Thanks a lot for your reply...really appreciate it:ok:
And good luck to all of us....God Bless...;)

Dear Teddy,
as far as I know, it should be no problem to reapply again after six months..
If I were you, absolutely, I'll go for it..
Good luck...:)

KingofEK
9th Mar 2011, 13:40
you can apply after a six months period...

KingofEK
9th Mar 2011, 14:01
hi ! I suggest an idea to prepare the teamwork for those who are willing to apply ...how if we suggest a topic here, then exchange our skype or teamspeak accounts , add each others , and do a debriefing here in order to prepare ourselves right ?.. what do you think about the idea guys?
Kiss

Teddy_86
9th Mar 2011, 14:05
Ohhh, thank you very much, winky wing and KingofEK! You are so kind that you answered me!
But what I am afraid about is that in the rejection mail I received 10 months ago, is written that I can apply again after one year and I am scared that maybe they still have me in their records or something and they will understand that I haven't waited enough. But how should I wait? Maybe they will come to my country again in one more year, I don't mant to pass my chance now!
Do you know somebody in this situation?

JewelF
9th Mar 2011, 14:12
If you've reached as far as the FI and was unsuccessful then you have no choice but to wait the entire year as they do have you recorded. My friend got an email stating that she had to wait the entire year even tho there was an OD here in my country. So yes, you've got to wait the 2 months out then try again. Sorry about that, but its the rules. However, if its in your country and its easily accessible to you, go on and try. The most that can happen is that they'll let you know if you have to wait it out or not. The waiting period alone is over 2 months, so its up to you. I'd wait for my year to finish though.

Best of luck:ok:

want_to_fly
9th Mar 2011, 14:12
Teddy I was told to wait one year also. Like you, I have also failed my previous final interview and I waited a year for it. I have been told it is better to wait one year because sometimes recruiters will ask you or look you up in their system and they might reject you and ask for you to come back during the later months. There were some people on this forum who said they have cheated and have gotten away with it by changing their email address on their resume, or re-applying online with a different email address.

But best of luck and wish you all the best! :ok:

Do what you think it's right I suppose, and God bless!

KingofEK
9th Mar 2011, 14:15
Teddy ! You're welcome we do all have the same dream instead !
You mean you are afraid of being blacklisted , i think that is the right expression !
No worries, it is up to you to go for the opportunity , there were 10 months after you were not shortlisted right? Go to the opportunity and later if they ask you if you did the preselections before , don't lie to them tell them the truth !!!
Good luck !

Teddy_86
9th Mar 2011, 15:02
I don't know what I will do, I have to think! Maybe I will try now.
want_to_fly, what happened to you after you have been rejected? Did you apply again? Did you get a Golden Call?

dandelion
9th Mar 2011, 17:18
Hi Teddy_86 ...
I have also been rejected once after final interview, and know exactly how it feels to wait 1 year! the waiting is just a killer! But patience is a virtue...well i sure hope it is! :-)
I have waited a year and a half!! until i went for the 2nd OD in my country...that was 2 weeks ago :-) Made it to the final again and im waiting for an answer now (waiting again!) but what to do! That's how it is :-)

I was in your situation too! After 11 months waiting there was an open day! and i really wanted to give it another go! because i knew they wouldn't come again so soon (hence the waiting of 1 year and a half) ...I applied online for that open day because you have to write down on the online application if you had a final interview before....and i did get an invite! So I thought it was fine to go! But I went there and the first thing the recruiters asked was if there was anyone who had attended an open day before or final interview ...few people raised their hands myself included and if 6 months or 1 year hadn't passed they politely asked us to go back home and come back next time!
Well I could choose to say nothing but what if you they found out afterwards? They would probably never trust me again...and if you get the same recruiters they could easily identify you as some people mentioned already.
Well up to you of course...this was my experience :-)

Teddy_86
9th Mar 2011, 17:58
dandelion, thank very much for sharing this important information with me! I really appreciate and as I know how it feels after the final interview, I am having now my fingers crossed for you. Did you feel more prepared on your second interview? Were the recruiters the same on not? You give me a great hope that it is not so desparate when you have been rejected once! Please, keep in touch and share with us once you get the Golden Call! I believe it will happen soon!
I thnk I will go next month and if they ask me if I have made it to the final interview, of coure, I will tell them the truth. If they send me home, it's ok, I will try next time. It's not so bad, I will have more time to prepare myself emotionally and make some more exercises in English.

KingofEK
9th Mar 2011, 18:12
...Sorry but a question just came to my mind ...Once we join and get trained , there will be the Airplanes qualification right ? So we will do them all or we just get qualified into one aircraft as an AB-Initio cause as far as i'm concerned , aircraft differences are soo large for an ab-initio so normally we have to get used to one rating ...any feedback? Thank you

Wish you all the best Teddy and dandelion we gonna make it guys ! i'm sure !

dandelion
9th Mar 2011, 19:10
You're welcome Teddy...:-)

I had lovely recruiters this time...they paid compliments, they made jokes and never felt one bit intimidated by them...so really they were great :-)

This time I knew what to expect so yes I was much more prepared than the first time...I could anticipate more or less what the final interview questions would be so I was more at ease.

So my suggestion to you is do the same...you know how it works...be yourself on the AD just as you previously were...for the final interview prepare yourself better :-)

One important suggestion, if you decide to go for this OD and at any point you would have to leave because of the waiting period, make sure that they don't keep your records, I hadn't handed out my CV or anything like that before i left so it was like i had never showed up...otherwise if you start and go home at a later stage, it means 6months of waiting!

KingofEK : as far as i know you are either trained for the A380 or for the rest of the fleet.... perhaps current crew members could tell you better.

Thank you both for your warm wishes and faith in me! I have my fingers crossed too! And i really hope i made it through this time...but no high hopes! to avoid big disappointments in case i do not make it...but let's believe for now :-) Goodluck everyone x

Mari
10th Mar 2011, 09:19
Main fleet:
A330 (two- and three class), A340 (three class), 777-200 (two- and three class), 777-300 (two- and three class).

It will be confusing at the beginning.
Many destinations.
Short-, long-, ultralong-haul flights: 2-7 turnarounds per month.
Many night/early morning turnarounds!!!
You can joing the A380 fleet when there are open positions. (Any grade.)

A380 fleet (only three class at the moment).
Limited number of destinations!
No way to the Main fleet!
Right now: Paris, London, Toronto, New York, Bangkok, Hong-Kong, Sydney, Auckland, Beiging, Soul, Jeddah.
More destinations will come at the end of the year and many new destinations in 2011. Quick upgrade (12-14 months) to business class.

List of layovers, length of layovers, airport codes

Accra 24 ACC
Amsterdam 24 AMS
Auckland 24 AKL
Bangkok 24 BKK
Beijing 31 PEK
Birmingham 24 BHX
Brisbane 24 BNE
Cape Town 24 CPT
Casablanca 24 CMN
Christchurch 24 CHC
Colombo 24/26 CMB
Dakar 24 DKR
Dar es Salaam 24 DAR
Dhaka 24 DAC
Durban 24 DUR
Dusseldorf 24 DUS
Entebbe 24 EBB
Frankfurt 24 FRA
Glasgow 24 GLA
Guangzhou 21 CAN
Hamburg 24 HAM
Hongkong 26 HKG
Houston 49 IAH
Jakarta 24 CGK
Johannesburg 24 JNB
Kolkata 24 CCU
Kuala Lumpur 24/27 KUL
Lagos 24 LOS
London Gatwick 24 LGW
London Heathrow 24 LHR
Los Angeles 48 LAX
Luanda 50/74 LAD
Madrid 24 MAD
Malta 24 MLA
Manchester 24 MAN
Manila 19/31 MNL
Mauritius 26/31/35/48 MRU
Melbourne 24/33 MEL
Milan 24 MXP
Moscow 24 DME
Munich 24 MUC
Nairobi 26 NBO
New York 26/30 JFK
Newcastle 24 NCL
Nice 24 NCE
Osaka 29 KIX
Paris 24 CDG
Perth 28 PER
Prague 24 PRG
Rome 24 FCO
San Francisco 48 SFO
Sao Paulo 31 GRU
Seoul 30 ICN
Seychelles 16/18/33 SEZ
Shanghai 30 PVG
Singapore 24/26 SIN
Sydney 24/48 SYD
Tokyo 27/75 NRT
Toronto 50/76 YYZ
Tunis 24/49 TUN
Venice 24 VCE
Vienna 24/48 VIE
Zurich 18/24 ZRH

dandelion
10th Mar 2011, 16:25
Thanks for this post Mari :-) Useful info x

Fingerzcrossed
10th Mar 2011, 20:12
Hello everyone, well i am in real need of someone who has experienced a case where he applied again (waited a year after he reached the Final Interview) and finally made it.

I mean any advices will be appreciated .. i will attend my second assessment day on April the third, OK we all know it should be more comfortable this time but i am really afraid to leave earlier stages.
I need advices please, how to be more prepared, i think last time i made mistakes during the final interview, and lost my English

Thanks in advance, wish me luck as i wish the best for whom are waiting the Golden call. :O

CoralB
11th Mar 2011, 11:44
Hi Everyone :)

I am a newbie here, i have been reading all your posts for a couple of weeks now - sooo interesting and helpful! Thank you all!

I am attending my Assessment Day preliminary interview tomorrow in Johannesburg.
I am so excited and nervous! Are there any other south africans on here that are also going?

Oh and i got a short-sleeve white collared shirt to wear with my knee-length pencil skirk, does anyone know if the short sleeve (not sleeveless) shirt will be okay? does it need to be longsleeve or a suit jacket???

Wish me luck
:ok:

Mari
11th Mar 2011, 15:22
The shirt is fine for the day.

However, you WILL BE ASKED to wear a suit for your interview. It's a must on your full-lenght photo as well.

dandelion
11th Mar 2011, 18:45
Fingerzcrossed - i have recently been to an OD and made it to the final interview for the 2nd time...however still waiting for (hopefully!) the GC.

I was also worried that i might be rejected at an earlier stage during the AD...but luckily i made it.. Honestly i didn't prepare myself any better for the AD! I was just myself .. no different than my first time applying. So that's what i think you should do too... That's how you made it through all rounds previously and that's how you will make it again! :-)

For the FI i prepared myself better by anticipating the questions...search the forums! Loads of possible sample qeustions, think of what they had asked you last time...moreover think of those questions (if there were any) which left you wondering for a couple of minutes before you could give a reply..and work on them!... You said you lost your English...so practice! :-)

I hope this helps, maybe someone else could give you more feedback about it....goodluck! :-)

hala22
11th Mar 2011, 23:28
Hello everyone,
anybody has an idea of how the causal photos should look like?
also, for the full length one, i am getting it professionally done. I am gonna wear business black skirt and a jacket. Is that what I am supposed to do? Should I put my hair in a bun?

Thanks in advance

alexandra1983
12th Mar 2011, 11:22
Hy,

I will try to organize my questions:

1. Once you reach Dubai, where do you get your accomodation. Within the college and after the course is finished to a permanent apartment? Or you get the permanent accomodation from day one.

2. Any pieces of advice regarding important stuff to take with us ? Like hair dryer...any other ideas?

3. Any idea how much money we should take for the 3-4 days before induction?

Queen Christine
12th Mar 2011, 13:01
Hey! Congrats on getting in, :DI went to an Open day in March, didnt get very far.:( They gave me the "unsuccessful to the next round" already after the reach test and where they ask whether or not you are working. At the time I was only studying. Was that perhaps the reason??? I'm now going to another Open Day on the 18th! Just around the corner. was wondering... is there any advice you can give me??? I'm very new to this site and would really like to find a TIPS list, I;m sure there is one, just havent found it yet... I want to get this so badly, I just wish I knew what they are looking for!! A particular way I must behave??? SPeak??? Is there perhaps some specific info about Emirates that would help me?? ...

Any help would be MUCH appreciated ;)

JewelF
12th Mar 2011, 14:55
hala22

The casual photo should be just what is said. Casual. But no smoking in it, no alcohol. Plain and sweet. Simple. If there's other people in the photo then that's alright, just make sure you can be seen properly.

The business suit photos should be you standing with your hands to your sides so they can see your nails. A smile. The bun is up to you. You'd be facing the camera anyway, so they wouldnt see it. I'll say use what hairstyle works for your face in the photos but do make sure its neat and not over the top. This is a photo that was given to my friend. They asked her to dress like this on her return to the Final Interview.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2d85oxw.jpg (http://i51.tinypic.com/2d85oxw.jpg)

alexandra1983

1) Your accomodation is given to you sometimes only a few days before your DOJ. No worries about it. When you touch down in Dubai, you will be met at the airport and taken to your room. In your room you can have up to 3 flatmates. You're given a free chance to change rooms in your first year and after that you have to pay a fee. Also if you want to move into your own individual apartment, Ek will pay for it.

2) It'll be a good idea to walk with extra money just in case you have to purchase some household things. However, Ek does give you a stipen on touch down, so you can purchase whatever you need with that money. Or in some lucky cases, your flat mates would already have what you need and if they're nice, they'll share with you.

3) See number two?

Queen Christine

I've heard that even if you're enrolled in school, it does not matter. If they want you, they'll take you.

About tips, read the forum and you'll know everything there is to know. There's no tips list. Everything's right here. A summarized advice? Smile and be yourself!

Daisy Akinyi
12th Mar 2011, 17:31
Thank Amir, i understand you but am not so sure whether to attend or not...since i failed in the previous interview that was held in Kenya last year in December...do you think they can give me the chance when six months havent elasped?

sophia edwards
12th Mar 2011, 18:36
Hi anyone out there go to the Manchester Airport Marriot Hotel interviews on the 11th/12th January 2011..Just wondered if anyone has had there GC ?:rolleyes:

I attended on the 11th of Jan then FI on the 12th everything seemed to go well I hope:O

It would be lovely to hear from others who might have attended this interview just to see how you got on?????

I havnt heard anything yet just had a call for more passport photos on the 16th of February I sent them the same day, my account changed to approval in progress two weeks after final interview .....seems like a lifetime ago and still no news????

Jfro
12th Mar 2011, 20:14
hala22

I see your in Canada.. which city are you going to the OD?

hala22
12th Mar 2011, 21:04
Hi Jfro,
Im going to the OD in Vancouver March 19. SO EXCITED!! how about you?

alexandra1983
13th Mar 2011, 07:31
Hy, my DOJ is April 18th. Leaving from Bucharest. See you there...all the best

tatimari
13th Mar 2011, 08:47
Hello Everyone. I having been patiently waiting for Emirates to have an OD or AD near where I live and they finally are, LA. I plan to attend but am a bit weary because I am not sure my passport will arrive in time for the OD. Is it absolutely essential I have it with me that day? Is anyone else planning to attend on the 26th?

Jfro
13th Mar 2011, 10:49
Toronto same day! With EK hiring 4000 cabin crew hopefully they see us good ones out there!

I_Love_EK
13th Mar 2011, 11:27
Someone scanned and uploaded a picture of the FI requirements a while back. Did anyone happen to save it? I've looked back and can't find it anywhere. I want to save it to my computer so I can prepare properly if I make the FI again at my next OD.

It also had a picture of the successful letter they give after each stage, and how you should dress for the FI. Hope someone knows which post I'm talking about.

JewelF
13th Mar 2011, 13:33
Golden Paper

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ahxpp0.jpg (http://i56.tinypic.com/2ahxpp0.jpg)

FI Paper

http://i52.tinypic.com/15q3gqw.jpg (http://i52.tinypic.com/15q3gqw.jpg)

How you should dress

http://i51.tinypic.com/2d85oxw.jpg (http://i51.tinypic.com/2d85oxw.jpg)

tetisheri
13th Mar 2011, 18:00
[Text speak]