PDA

View Full Version : Superjets in Western Europe?

Aero Mad
10th Oct 2010, 17:06
Out of interest - what do you think the change would ever be of a Western European airline ever using Sukhoi Superjets for commercial use? We know of Alitalia, which is still uncertain, but anyone else? Reason I ask is that I don't have high hopes for it other than in Russia where it will probably do very well. AM :)

thebig C
11th Oct 2010, 12:13
Hey AM

The only Western European airlines who have ordered the SSJ (as far as I know) are Malev and Itali.

The Malev deal could be in doubt as they were ordered when Malev was under the control of AirBridge the Russian aviation group, who owned KrasAir, Domodedovo Airlines etc. They have since gone bankrupt, and Malev has been renationalised.

Likewise the Itali, Italian regional airline, order was at least partly connected to the degree of Italian participation in the project.

To counter the reputation of Russian ac in Western Europe an alliance was formed with Alenia Aeronautica, owners of ATR, to market and service the Superjets in Europe. The Italian design house Pinnaferina are also designing the interiors. The Alenia connection was intreguing as it led to rumours that alot of Regional Airlines who use ATR 42/72 could be convinced to use Superjets because of their relationship with Alenia and their reputation for service. Even Aer Arann, before they chartered Bae 146 were speculated to be potential customers.

C

CCR
11th Oct 2010, 17:41
If they offer the Superjets at a great price and offer tech support of similar quality to Embraer and Bombardier for their regional jets then why not.

Aero Mad
13th Oct 2010, 16:27
Hi all, thanks for replies which were of great interest. I see they want to start delivering next year, however there is rather an abundance of regional jets - the Ejets (170 and 175 especially in competition with the S100), Bombardier's C, CRJ and Q400 series will all compete - so the Russian market will probably be a little stronger, methinks. AM :ooh: