PDA

View Full Version : Incidence of motion sickness and ear/sinus blocks

AnthonyGA
9th Oct 2010, 13:15
I once read that the incidence of motion sickness among airline passengers is about 0.1%, although I'm not sure how motion sickness was defined for this statistic (maybe only counting cases where passengers actually vomit).

Anyway, I'm wondering what the actual incidence is of motion sickness (serious enough to cause vomiting or requiring some sort of treatment) and ear/sinus blocks among passengers. Does anyone have any numbers for these, or a pointer to some stats on them?

If a passenger does get violently ill from motion sickness, what can you do? And if someone develops a total ear or sinus block and is in excruciating pain, how do you handle it? It seems to me that there probably isn't a lot you can do, but maybe there are some measures that can be taken to help.

Load Toad
9th Oct 2010, 14:59
A puke bag and pain killers. Tough it out and don't be a big wuss.

Chuchinchow
9th Oct 2010, 15:42
Various nostrums against motion sickness are available from any pharmacy, including those in the concourses of nearly every airport.

MissM
9th Oct 2010, 16:40
If suffering from motion sickness, choose or move to a seat over the wings where the least of the motion is.

PaperTiger
9th Oct 2010, 16:42
Besides the Valsalva manoeuvre (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2328968/how_to_relieve_ear_pressure_with_valsalva.html?cat=5) to unblock the Eustachian tube(s), another technique which some swear by is to soak a couple of paper towels in boiling water, place them in a paper cup and tilt the head towards and cover the ear with the cup. The steam is supposed to 'melt' the blockage.

Never tried it myself.

Mr Optimistic
9th Oct 2010, 17:33
Had it once on descent into Jersey and it was very painful but fortunately didn't last long. Painkillers will be too slow to help. I tried massaging just in front of the ear and it helped a bit.

Rusland 17
9th Oct 2010, 18:22
I've only actually vomited once on a flight (while in a holding pattern over New York in a violent storm), which is probably about 0.1% of the flights I've taken. But I've felt sick about a dozen times or so, always on descent.

Judeb
18th Oct 2010, 15:44
I had severe pain above my right eye in the last flight two trips. (thought my eye would pop out).
Checked google and it advises a sinus decongestant. Always on the decent.
Massage relieves the pain a bit.