View Full Version : B52 in YPDN yesterday

AussieNick
9th Oct 2010, 03:58
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has any idea about the B52 that was in darwin yesterday. I'd just got out onto the ramp to see it slowing on the runway with the parachute out the tail. Taxi'd and parked up on the military hardstand.

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Oct 2010, 04:39
Interesting!

I saw a B52 in the Hinchinbrook Channel on Wednesday!

Dr :8

Ixixly
9th Oct 2010, 05:33
Is it still there AussieNick? Does anyone know when its planning on leaving? Might have to try and get out for a squizz! :D

AussieNick
9th Oct 2010, 07:33
don't know mate, i'm starting night shift tonight so i'll have a look in the morning as let ya know

PLovett
9th Oct 2010, 09:44
They used to fly down from Guam and use the Dellamere Range (sp?) out of Tindal for a spot of electronic bombing before returning home.

Perhaps an issue on board requiring a few days R & R in Darwhine? :E

tinpis
9th Oct 2010, 11:38
Nearly thirty years ago had a conversation with a Yankee crewman off a Guam 52
He took me to have a look at his office . I asked him how the hell did they navigate with no obvious kit(Inertial etc)
He said they used the WEAPONS nav gear they had on board
Hmmm :hmm: what weapon?

tinpis
9th Oct 2010, 21:45
Any ex mil type confirm what I wrote is/was correct?
Just curious

TBM-Legend
9th Oct 2010, 22:26
The first electronic improvements came with the expansion of the B-52's mission to low-level penetration and the need to fly at an altitude of 500 feet or less. A key element of this modification was the Advanced Capability Radar (ACR) for terrain avoidance that was added beginning in the early 1960s. In the early through mid-1970s, the G and H models received the Electrooptical Viewing System (EVS) that consisted of Low Light TV (LLTV) and Forward-Looking Infrared Radar (FLIR) that, when used with the ACR, meant much safer and effective low-level capability.

A Stability Augmentation System was added in the G and H models in the early 1970s to improve level flight characteristics, reduce structural loads, and improve controllability in turbulence. Other electronic improvements have included many upgrades to Electronic Countermeasure (ECM) and Defensive Avionics systems. The ability to communicate with the AFSATCOM communications satellite was added starting in the late 1970s. In the early 1980s, a Trail Warning System was added on the B-52G and H to provide radar warning of threat aircraft and missiles as well as automatically triggering chaff and flare dispensing to confuse enemy radar.

In 1980, a 10-year $1.5 billion program was begun to replace the analog computer-based bomb navigation system with a modern digital, solid-state Offensive Avionics System (OAS) on the G and H models. The OAS not only reduces life cycle costs, but offers greatly improved performance while maintaining compatibility with other systems on the B-52. A similar though less ambitious improvement was also carried out on the D models.

Worrals in the wilds
10th Oct 2010, 01:22
Hmmm http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif what weapon?

Reminds me of this 2007 'incident'...
U.S. bomber mistakenly flies with nuclear weapons | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0522314720070905)

mirage3
10th Oct 2010, 08:30
Remember that you are subject to National Security obligations. It appears that you may be an ATC Officer who should very well know the arrangements under which you retain your licence. Remember the old carpenter's saying; measure twice and cut once.

gutso-blundo
10th Oct 2010, 12:08
B52 was still there as of 1630 today, sitting along side an RAAF C17 and a couple of USAF KC135s. As for National Security - they're basically sitting right next to the runway for all to see, so not really a security issue talking about them now is there?

mic310
10th Oct 2010, 20:48
Anyone get a photo??

AussieNick
10th Oct 2010, 23:47
i might be able to get a shot of it tomorrow morning after work....no promises though

triadic
10th Oct 2010, 23:54
Back in the '80's they used to visit DN on a regular basis and I think most of the aviation community got to have a close up look on the military hard stand, including a look inside. These days you can visit the museum there and have a good close up look of the aircraft there, including the cockpit etc.

Best story of the day was the pilot of the Bell 47 that did joy flights around Katherine Gorge (before the squadron moved to TN). He was doing his usual thing at 500ft agl and a B52 went past under him!

The visits to DN were always with numerous KC135's and sometimes KC10's and whatever the re-engined 135 is called. Did not need all the runway like the KC135 which was very low over Bagot Road trailing lots of smoke from the water meth.

ForkTailedDrKiller
11th Oct 2010, 04:32
Anyone get a photo??Remembering, of course, that it is actually illegal to photograph aircraft on a military base! :E

Ted D Bear
11th Oct 2010, 04:34
He said they used the WEAPONS nav gear they had on board

So how do they get home after they actually drop the weapon?

ForkTailedDrKiller
11th Oct 2010, 04:44
B52
Anyone get a photo??

Here's a pic of a B52 like the one I saw in the Hinchinbrook Channel last Wednesday!
http://www.fototime.com/A9140E41915F709/standard.jpg

VH-XXX
11th Oct 2010, 05:35
I was once warned to not take a photo of some Blackhawks sitting at Point Cook RAAF base. (I wasn't actually going to, I was just warned about it)

The same 3 aircraft were at Avalon International Airshow 2 days earlier, but it was ok to take photos there as they were in "non-military configuration" versus the "military configuration" 2 days later. It's a big wank really.

That aside I did get kicked out of Wheeler AF base for taking a photo of an Apache :ok:

Stationair8
11th Oct 2010, 05:56
Apparently its been purchased by Hardy Aviation, and will be put on their AoC next week.

Ixixly
11th Oct 2010, 06:10
Brilliant Stationair8, is it going to be available at the Darwin Flying School for endorsements?

Stationair8
11th Oct 2010, 06:13
No, but will be joining the DC-3 and Tiger Moth on flights around the harbour most Sunday afternoons.

Richard G
11th Oct 2010, 07:40
Yes chaps we should all heed Mirage3's advice as saying you saw a yank B-52 endangers national security :D you see the North Koreans have run out of credits to play with Chinese satellites, so instead they rely on this forum to tell them where the yanks were a couple of days ago :mad:

And ForkTailedDRKiller you should immediatley remove that "classified photo" you posted of the buff in the Hinchinbrook channel as it not only endangers national security it is illegal to photograph anything in Australia even if its not Australian :ok:

Personally I even wear a blind fold so I don't see anything that may endanger security, I also check with authorities before I take a crap so that it does not endanger national security.

Now, did I tell you about the time I heard a B-2 stealth bomber over Rockhampton... :mad: :=

The Green Goblin
11th Oct 2010, 08:59
Apparently its been purchased by Hardy Aviation, and will be put on their AoC next week.

Hardly surprising considering their appetite for aircraft acquisition of late. Can only be a matter of time before they get jets, or buy Airnorth back :eek:

SIUYA
11th Oct 2010, 09:47

So, that seems to suggest that they probably applied for the revised AOC only about 25 years ago then, doesn't it?

:eek:

Lucky bastards! :ugh:

P.O.M
11th Oct 2010, 11:18
Remembering, of course, that it is actually illegal to photograph aircraft on a military base!

which means you have to wait for a 'lesser spotted' something to land on or near it and take a picture of that instead... unfortunately the BUFF may just happen to get in the shot... :}

That is, of course, after ensuring the 'lesser spotted' something isn't in military configuration.... :E

Hasselhof
11th Oct 2010, 11:39
Brilliant Stationair8, is it going to be available at the Darwin Flying School for endorsements?

You're kidding right? Nothing is EVER available at Darwin Flying School for endorsements :}

206greaser
11th Oct 2010, 11:43
Oops forgot about the whole security thing these days! Just lucky that I can't figure out how to post pics direct from the iPhone!

If Hardys did own it imagine how much more of a s.o.b it would be getting parking in the Northern G.A!!

Cheers,
Greaser

propblast
11th Oct 2010, 16:36
If Hardys did own it imagine how much more of a s.o.b it would be getting parking in the Northern G.A!!

Probly very easy after the first turn around when idle thrust blows every other aircraft over the fence and into the drain that runs down that western boundary.

Anyone know if it will be used for their expanding RPT routes, how many family will the blackfella's want to put in that. "Ey, he just a little one, e bin sit on my lap ey, e bin no count pylot"

tinpis
11th Oct 2010, 19:39
I heard it was for Coast Watch.