PDA

View Full Version : A question about communication from SLF

JWP1938
8th Oct 2010, 21:49
Unless I have missed it (both here and on flights): aircraft have constant (hopefully) communication with the nearest (at least) ATC, other aircraft and maybe more. A couple of years ago on an easyJet flight from Belfast to Gatwick we had a problem taking off due to a snowstorm. Twice sent back to the stand and de-iced. The pilot (excellent man) spoke to us personally and told us he had been on to the company etc. etc. He didn't say how he had spoken to them but the discussion was obviously whether to cancel or hold for possible better weather. This long preamble is leading to my question: do aircraft have radio communications with their Ops department and, if not, why not? If so then what sort of circumstances has this been useful (or not) to some of you? In our particular case the pilot (presumably after speaking to Ops for advice) went for the take off in what seemed to me blinding snow (obviously his decision and not Ops) and flew us successfully into Gatwick at about 3.30 am instead of about 11pm.

Leezyjet
8th Oct 2010, 22:32
do aircraft have radio communications with their Ops department

Yes they do, in the same way they communicate with ATC, via the radio providing they are with-in range.

Just for info, IIRC from my ATPL days the max theorectical range of a radio is :-

1.23 x SqrRoot(H1) + 1.23 x SqrRoot(H2)

Where H1 = height of Transmitter 1, and H2 = Height of transmitter 2.

Therefore an aircraft at 30,000ft transmitting to a ground station at 500 ft will have an approximate range of :- 240 miles.

Failing that, some a/c are fitted with a SATCOM, satellite based comms system, or on the ground you can simply use a telephone.

:)

Northbeach
9th Oct 2010, 00:55
JWP1938.

On the ground I can communicate to the “Company” in a number of ways. But before I get to the different was to communicate there are several different representatives of the “Company” I can get in touch with.

There is “Maintenance”. The people on the ground tasked with keeping the aircraft mechanically fit to fly. This may include the de/anti-icing activities.

Then there is “Operations”; they are responsible for numerous necessary tasks including; cleaning, catering, fueling, local staffing issues and many others.

There is my dispatcher, the person who co-authorizes the flight with me the Captain of the airplane.

And there are management and/or their representatives personnel; base Chief Pilots, System Chief Pilot, Instructors and crew schedulers.

I have 3 radios that transmit and receive on my jet. Using the company communications frequency (2 of the 3 radios I can tune in the flight deck) I can talk to the person I want to, or they can contact me.

I have a data link function that uses the 3rd radio that transmits to several of the previously mentioned parts of the “Company”, this is more like sending/receiving texts and faxes.

I can step off the jet and pick up a telephone located at either end of the jetway and simply call the person I want to speak to. Finally, I have my personal cell phone that works as well (on the ground, next to the jetway, with the aircraft door open {same restrictions as you have}).

Once I am in the air I still have my 3 aircraft radios. Those provide both voice and data. And I can always ask ATC to relay a message if necessary (not necessary most of the time). As a certification requirement we are required to be able to contact the company, and the company contact us, at all times while we are in flight. Using one of the communication radios I can access a ground network of transmitters/receivers and talk to just about anybody who has a telephone if necessary.

Northbeach

JWP1938
9th Oct 2010, 11:04
Thanks all for the comprehensive replies. I though it was as you have all indicated but have never seen it mentioned. All the "air crash investigation" type tv programs and even (as far as I have seen) discussions on here just mention communication with ATC but I always thought it must be more than that. Just a matter of what was relevant to mention at the time I suppose. Thanks again.