PDA

View Full Version : New AOC 2 Group

sharkbuster
6th Oct 2010, 21:14
Top bloke and certainly does not have a hard act to follow!!!

Dead Loss
7th Oct 2010, 02:14
For those of us on the fringe of the Empire, who is it?

Old-Duffer
7th Oct 2010, 05:09
............. need to be on the fringes of the Empire to wonder who's being talked about.

I'm slap bang in the centre of England and haven't a clue who this guy - or perhaps it's the first girl AOC gp cdr - is!!!

By the way, this is the second thread recently where nice things are being said about air officers. Have ppruners gone soft or what???

Wholigan
7th Oct 2010, 08:07
From the RAF web site:

Air Commodore P C Osborn CBE to be promoted Air Vice-Marshal and to be Air Officer Commanding No 2 Group in October 2010, in succession to Air Vice-Marshal S J Hillier CBE DFC.

Mick Strigg
7th Oct 2010, 08:43
What's 2 Group? (He asked ironically!)

VinRouge
7th Oct 2010, 08:51
one of the two that will be remaining post SDSR :E

For the uneducated, its Tac AT, Shiney AT, Comms fleet and filthy, dirty scuffers.

Congrats OB, proves many wrong who say its only the chiselers who get to the top.

viz
7th Oct 2010, 10:09
Are we talking about the same person here?

Air Cdre P C Osborn, ex Stn Cdr Marham is about to be AOC 2 Gp.

Air Cdre P N Oborn has just taken over Cmdt RAF Cranditz + IOT.

According to the RAF website. :confused:

4Foxtrot
7th Oct 2010, 10:41
And he's a colonial type. Top chap!

threeputt
7th Oct 2010, 10:53
Pilot "Obie" (Paul Oborn) is a New Zealander, Navigator "Osby" (Phil Osborn) is, as far as I remember, English.

Current AOC, Osby, AM Timo Anderson, AM Ian McNicoll plus self and "Foldingings" were together on 17(F) Sqn in the mid eighties.

3P:ok:

sitigeltfel
7th Oct 2010, 11:00
This was announced in the Times on the 3rd of May. Please keep up!

Roland Pulfrew
7th Oct 2010, 11:10
Vin

For the uneducated, its Tac AT, Shiney AT, Comms fleet and filthy, dirty scuffers.

And Combat ISTAR/ISTAR and SAR Helos, just for the uneducated you understand ;)

foldingwings
7th Oct 2010, 15:44
3Putt,

Current AOC, Osby, AM Timo Anderson, AM Ian McNicoll plus self and "Foldingings" were together on 17(F) Sqn in the mid eighties.
"Foldingings" denies that fact but I was certainly there!!!!!

By the way, Old-Duffer,

Have ppruners gone soft or what???

I don't think that PPRuNers are going soft but it does certainly seem that the good guys (and navs too) are on the up!

does not have a hard act to follow!!! Never a truer word spoken!

Osby:ok: - great bloke couldn't drive a car when he arrived on his first tour on 17 but he was an A1 GR1 Navigator from a very early age!

Foldie

Talk Reaction
7th Oct 2010, 15:55
[QUOTE]For the uneducated, its Tac AT, Shiney AT, Comms fleet and filthy, dirty scuffers./QUOTE]

er whats AT???? ;)

Biggus
7th Oct 2010, 16:00
AT = Adventurous Training!! :ok:

Alison Conway
7th Oct 2010, 18:37
At Last! Well Done OB1. Hakkas at Sqn Off Dining Society (SODS) and mooning at the cops on the way back to the squadron. Top Bloke, Top Leader - makes me wish I was back in!

JFZ90
7th Oct 2010, 18:59

Do 99 Sqn like being referred to as "Shiney AT"? :E

Ken Scott
7th Oct 2010, 19:09
I think it's clear that the new AOC is not Paul Oborn, OB, from New Zealand, but the ex-Staish of Marham. What sense would there be in putting a Truckie in charge of the Group???!! I'm only surprised the new chap isn't a Harrier mate.

Chris Kebab
7th Oct 2010, 19:24
..and I bet the AOC's never flown with a Samsonite.

The B Word
7th Oct 2010, 20:59
Osby isn't AOC yet - end of the month. The current AOC is a 1-star.

I understand that the "swear box" is being enlarged for the arrival of the new 2-star! :ok:

The B Word

Q-RTF-X
8th Oct 2010, 03:37
CK

Nothing like starting ones day with a good harmless chuckle :)

threeputt
8th Oct 2010, 09:35
What a ferkin muppet! Sorry mate, senior moments comming every few hours now.
3P:ugh:

threeputt
8th Oct 2010, 09:42
20 year anniversary soon, going to the reunion?

3P:ok:

just another jocky
9th Jan 2011, 09:13

3Phttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

And Baggers was on 31 at the time too. Hadn't realised McNut had been on 17(F) before he was the Boss.

DFM
9th Jan 2011, 12:28
Looking forward to the new AOC 2 Gp visiting Kinloss in February when the redundancy packages are announced. If this chap is as good as people are saying, I am sure he will be able to soften the blow of the slash and burn policy in Moray. :hmm:

DFM over & out

brakedwell
9th Jan 2011, 13:32

Was A Samsonite a shiny truckie? :E

Red Line Entry
9th Jan 2011, 14:46
Get a grip, DFM. He's a good bloke, but that doesn't mean he can reverse Govt policy!

muttywhitedog
9th Jan 2011, 19:53
Where is Steve Hillier off to then?

iRaven
9th Jan 2011, 22:11
Oh do keep up 007...

This was announced in Apr 10:

AIR RANK & COMMAND APPOINTMENTS LIST 3-10

Air Vice-Marshal S J Hillier CBE DFC to be Director Information Superiority in the Ministry of Defence and Air Member for Equipment Capability in October 2010, in succession to Air Vice-Marshal C W Dixon OBE whose next appointment as Commander Joint Helicopter Command has already been announced.

Hammer Head Too
9th Jan 2011, 22:13
JAJ & 3P

Don't you mean mid nineties?;)

HH2

just another jocky
10th Jan 2011, 04:47
HH2...hang on, I'll go and check my logbook...nope, definitely 80's.

Baggers on 31 on his first tour before heading off on his F18 exchange, Osby a Fg Off first tourist on 17(F) along with Timo as the QWI pilot, Steve Hillier as (creamy) QFI and yours truly as another Fg Off first tourist. McNut was not on 17(F) during my time except as Boss in 94/95 when I returned to Sqn.

'fraid I don't know the identities of Foldingwings or threeputt.

Jabba_TG12
10th Jan 2011, 09:34
I can understand the "Equipment Capability" part, but Director Information Superiority???

Is someone taking the p*ss? :confused:

Someone less cynical than me would think such a post to be an empire growing exercise...

Neptunus Rex
10th Jan 2011, 14:13
I can understand the "Equipment Capability" part, but Director Information Superiority???Ah, but his PSO has not yet been gazetted. Allegedly, it is AC (Acting Wg Cdr) Julian Assange, Royal Swedish Air Force.

foldingwings
10th Jan 2011, 14:25
3-Putt and I were certainly there, on 17, in the mid-80s. I was the sqn nav QWI and Timo's back-seater before becoming STAN W in 1987 and 3-Putt spent a lot of the time where his name suggests - playing gowf for the RAF! McNut was definitely there with me when G McL was the Boss and before 'clothears' arrived!

Now which other fg off were you jaj?

By the way, saw another ex-17 Sqn man of that time on Crimewatch recently! The SquIntO, Fg Off AL, now working in forensics!

Foldie

just another jocky
10th Jan 2011, 15:50
3-Putt and I were certainly there, on 17, in the mid-80s. I was the sqn nav QWI and Timo's back-seater before becoming STAN W in 1987 and 3-Putt spent a lot of the time where his name suggests - playing gowf for the RAF! McNut was definitely there with me when G McL was the Boss and before 'clothears' arrived!

Now which other fg off were you jaj?

By the way, saw another ex-17 Sqn man of that time on Crimewatch recently! The SquIntO, Fg Off AL, now working in forensics!

Foldie

You have a PM. :ok: