PDA

View Full Version : Faa To Jaa Conversion

petoosh
6th Oct 2010, 13:00
LADIES AND GENTS,
I WOULD LIKE TO KINDLY ASK OF YOU TO HELP WITH AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE.

I have over 5000 hours, PIC typed in a Metroliner and G200 (over 500 hours PIC in each), with an SIC type on the EMB 170/190 series (over 800 hours).

I hold an FAA ATP in the states and would like to ask all of you what you think would be my best, practical, quickest, and cheapest way to convert my FAA ATP to a JAA license?

I currently reside in Budapest, and have Hungarian citizenship.

I would like to continue flying here in Europe, but not in the states.

Please any info would be much appreciated as I am at a loss as to exactly what needs to be done; I am hearing all types of conflicting information.

Thanks ahead of time
peter

Uncle Wiggily
6th Oct 2010, 18:43
Dude, you need to understand that each country interpets the rules differently. The Brits will say, "just locate section whatever in Lasors section whatever"...fine, great. Then do what the Lasors says if you want to get Brit license. The Huns may ask you for 30,000 Euro and a bottle of vodka...who knows....it's different from country to country. It does not matter if you are doing this in a JAA or EASA or whatever the new flavour of the week is. I frickin guarantee that a German LBA will give you different requirements than a Dutch regulator...and they are both JA
R, correct? hahaha. In the end, nobody knows their ass from their head and you will encounter brick wall after brick wall trying to sort this thing out. You said you want to work in Hungary. Well....go IN PERSON to their whatever building and ask! These types of people are far too important to pick up a phone and talk on it. But....even if you get to talk with a regulatory person, don't expect a clear-cut answer...hell you may even be more confused. 99 percent of these people understand licensing from the point of view of a zero hour person going through an integrated or modular course. But, when you throw a wrench in their meager and blissful way of thinking you may make enemies and find out that your 5000 hours doesn't mean jack****. Wait 'till their heads spin because you have not got a MCC completed....oh man....! They will run around the building like chickens with their heads cut off! They won't know what to do. You'll be like, "hey, wtf....I got 5000 hours and tyoed in a jet already....they will then make up some bull**** like "well how many of those hours were in European registered aircraft?? (because we know damn well that a D registered Lear45 flys so frickin' different than an N registered jet). Count on taking some of the theory exams or more likely all of the exams....and you will have to fight to get an exemption on not having to attend a groundschool in order to take the exams.....oh man....get ready for good times!

What a joke. Why not just do something different.

Anyhow, good luck....oh the memories.

BigGrecian
6th Oct 2010, 20:40
with an SIC type on the EMB 170/190 series (over 800 hours).

Unfortuantely the hours on the EMB 170/190 are only supernumeray as far as JAA is concerned as they do not recognise SIC as an appropriate qualification to log time in the aircraft. The hours do not count towards your totals.

Check JAR FCL 1 it is very clearly laid out.

If your type is current and you have over 1500 hours PIC then you are exempt the training requirement for the ATPL groundschool just apply to the authority you wish to take the exams under and take the exams. You don't even need a school involved so don't contact one as they won't be able to help unless you want to buy the books etc....

You are also exempt type rating training and can just take the ATPL skills test directly in the aircraft you are currently typed on - but that is IF you can find an examiner to do it reasonably, which must people struggle to do.
Must end up going to Europe or Florida (for CPL portion only) and take the JAA CPL then the JAA IR seperately. Each school will have its own procedures for students in your scenario.

ITFC1
7th Oct 2010, 10:12
Done this about 2 years ago.

Hardest thing is to find exactly what you need to do, like Uncle says,. before you even start on this road i suggest you do that, and get it in writing, If you can luckily for me i did, as goalposts grow legs and move.

Here was my situation.

2000TT, 1200 Multi crew, 500 jet, 1100 Turbine.

I did all 14 exams, the radio license test, and after my Initial Type rating in a mulit crew aircraft i did a LST with a Flight Ops Inspector from the CAA in teh aircraft, they will not travel abroad, bear in mind this takes 3 months to arrange, and make the plane as big as possible, as i was told by a lady FOI at Gatwick, sorry we dont do little planes, only big ones, despite mine having a 3000 mile range etc.

Good Luck

Uncle Wiggily
7th Oct 2010, 19:02
ITFC1: So the question is, did you get a pilot job in Europe?

fsfaludi
7th Oct 2010, 19:56
Uncle Wiggily,

After looking into it for over a year, I feel you gave and excellent interpretation of what this fellow Hungarian can expect. I went to university, I am reasonably intelligent, and for the life of me I don't understand how it all works... other than the fact that how you summed it up... is how I also understand it to be.

ITFC1
10th Oct 2010, 08:28
Yes I got a job, was worth all the hassle and hard work.

Glad I done it.