PDA

View Full Version : Emirates, Etihad or Qatar

Byobeer
6th Oct 2010, 12:58
Guys,Girls,

Anyone like to comment sensibly on which you would consider better for a Type rated 340/330 pilot with 5000+ hours and a family. Obviously interested in T&C's and time to command.

Many Thanks for your time,

BYO

White Knight
6th Oct 2010, 13:36
I'll give you one guess... It ain't either of the EK wannabe airlines:ok: And that I feel is quite a sensible comment when you consider the various threads running here.

Byobeer
6th Oct 2010, 13:41
Thanks White Night,

Yes I know its sometimes difficult to get an objective view. Hence the new thread so it doesn't get caught up with the rest. For now anyway.

Any idea on Command time at the present with orders for A/C.

Thanks again,

BYO

Iver
6th Oct 2010, 13:59
EK. None of the choices offer ideal situations - just don't expect it. Keep your expectations low and you won't be as discouraged. Abu Dhabi probably a better place to live than Dubai, but EK has all of the growth - 90+ A380s and 100 A350s with options. With your A340 background, you would be flying the A380 at EK in a few years. QR and EY are growing but people are getting assigned to the A320 fleets and they are not happy.

Again, don't expect the freedoms you enjoy in the UK. EK will do what they will do. Based on what I have read, EK seems like the best of the three choices (but certainly not close to ideal situation).

Etihadghostrider
6th Oct 2010, 15:20
Ek. Despite their problems they are MILES ahead of the other 2.

vserian
6th Oct 2010, 15:32
Emirates - yes,

Many people that i know are not really happy with Qatar airways.

Fubaliera
6th Oct 2010, 19:01
stupid question, Its just like asking what better Somalia, Slovenia or Sweden
Dummy, use youre head

nolimitholdem
6th Oct 2010, 20:05
I can't think of which of these three turds could be compared to Sweden, seeing as any one of them is the antithesis of order, justice, liberalism, and social safety net that are exemplified by the Swedes.

I think a better parallel would be asking which form of cancer you would prefer to have: lung, brain, or bowel?

They'll all kill ya, just at different rates.

Iver
6th Oct 2010, 20:20
Thanks Fubaliera for adding zero value to the discussion. He is seeking opinions and perspectives, not lame, time-wasting remarks like yours.

moredrag
6th Oct 2010, 20:21
stupid question, Its just like asking what better Somalia, Slovenia or Sweden
Dummy, use youre head

nice one!!! an intelligent reply...

CI999
6th Oct 2010, 20:28
it's a million dollar question?
QR is the best:eek:

Byobeer
7th Oct 2010, 01:47
Many Thanks to all of you (but one) for your replies.

As we are all aware the airlines around the world are trying to erode our T&C's as experienced highly skilled and mostly highly motivated individuals. We find ourselves in differing personal circumstances with our wives/husbands and families. What suits one doesn't suit everybody. I currently am employed in the UK and some would think it mad to even consider a move to the ME.

However, sometimes its more about the family than the job so answer me this if you would.

What do your families think of life in Dubai ?

Many thanks for your considered and intellectual replies (here is hoping)

Rgds

BYO :D:D

Saltaire
7th Oct 2010, 03:58
Dubai offers the best lifestyle of the three without a doubt. Many EY pilots are living in Dubai and commuting to AD. EK has problems like the rest but is still in a different class and is the best option.

loc22550
7th Oct 2010, 04:14
Taking everything in consideration:..salary,treatment,mentality,place to live....

1-Ek
2-EY

3-QR.

kiwi
7th Oct 2010, 04:27
One thing to consider for your family's sake when considering EK is that you'll be working so often and so hard that they won't see you very much and when you are around you'll either sleeping or knackered before the next onslaught. More than one disgruntled family here in Dubai.

Byobeer
7th Oct 2010, 10:28
Hi Kiwi et AL

Thanks for your replies, maybe if you have time you could elaborate in a PM to me. Does the lifestyle differ between fleets ? Also do you mix fleet fly 340/330. what's the time to command if you have the hours ?

An idea of your days off per month and pattern would be most help full, i.e. are you doing trip 2 days off etc.

I am not looking for an easy ride and am not afraid of hard work for the right rewards.

Many thanks to you all for keeping the comments constructive and grownup. I am trying to make a huge decision here and I appreciate your honesty also. I work for a good airline but with no command potential within the next 10 years I am trying to asses the options out there.

Regards

BYO

White Knight
7th Oct 2010, 13:49
One thing to consider for your family's sake when considering EK is that you'll be working so often and so hard that they won't see you very much and when you are around you'll either sleeping or knackered before the next onslaught. More than one disgruntled family here in Dubai.

You don't seriously think it's any better at EY or Goat Airways do you???

kiwi
7th Oct 2010, 14:18
BYOBEER stated: However, sometimes its more about the family than the job so answer me this if you would.
What do your families think of life in Dubai ?

And yes I think we're working a lot more than the other two which impacts on the quality of family life at EK. Worth considering if you're moving for family lifestyle considerations, in my opinion.

Nightfire
7th Oct 2010, 15:03
Many thanks to you all for keeping the comments constructive and grownup. I am trying to make a huge decision here and I appreciate your honesty also. I work for a good airline but with no command potential within the next 10 years I am trying to asses the options out there.

Your command won't be coming much quicker than that here, either. Maybe eight years instead of ten. But there's a long queue already waiting.

KRUGERFLAP
8th Oct 2010, 05:29
As a professional pilot from UK, Join Emirates! They love you guys.Enjoy the mafia