PDA

View Full Version : Trident

dazdaz1
5th Oct 2010, 23:32
Hi all,
Am I correct in my assumption that the missiles could not be launched without a 'ok' from the USA?

D1

dat581
6th Oct 2010, 00:54
Hi all,
Am I correct in my assumption that the missiles could not be launched without a 'ok' from the USA?

D1

That would be incorrect. The missles are leased from the USA under a you fly 'em you buy 'em arrangement. The warheads are provided by the UK.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
6th Oct 2010, 09:42
dat581 is partly correct except our missiles were bought and paid for.

What confuses many people is the King's Bay amendment to the Polaris Sales Agreement (yes, it's still called that). The UK missiles were originally to be maintained in RNAD Coulport, almost nextdoor to Faslane. The US Government proposed that there would be a financial advantage in processing our missiles through their existing facility in King's Bay, GA. Part of the agreement was that missiles passing through Kings Bay would be "pooled"; the missile we put in would not necessarily be the same missile we receive back.

The missiles sat quietly in the back of a V Boat are most certainly British property.

sitigeltfel
6th Oct 2010, 11:19
Permission would not be required, but a polite phone call telling them what was about to occur might be diplomatic.

Unless the target was the USA :eek:

charliegolf
6th Oct 2010, 11:40
but a polite phone call telling them

What if they were engaged? "FFS, don't press the tit: I'm on hold!"

CG

BEagle
6th Oct 2010, 13:25
Press the tit and all that will happen will be:
"Trident Fire Control has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
:rolleyes:

JG54
6th Oct 2010, 13:33
BEags,

Fair wet meself at that! :ok:

Regards,
Frank

LowObservable
6th Oct 2010, 13:33
Abort Retry Fail?

Pontius Navigator
6th Oct 2010, 13:37
press ctrl-alt-del

are you sure?

Yes - No

JG54
6th Oct 2010, 14:10
For the more zen minded amongst us - Error message in Haiku:

Haiku error messages - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF) (http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html)

Regards,
Frank