PDA

View Full Version : QR bases

ekpilot
5th Oct 2010, 15:00
Qr to open bases, True or False? :E

flaphandlemover
5th Oct 2010, 15:12
if QR opens bases, EK, EY... are DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMEEEEEED.....

I soooooo doubt it!

loc22550
5th Oct 2010, 15:13
Yes true..in Al KHOR...:E

Dixons Cider
5th Oct 2010, 15:55
The first Middle East player that opens basings will be onto a winner - they'll be queing at the doors to get in!

Just remains to be seen how long it takes... the possibility of looming shortage might be the catalyst.
Just as long as the next "crisis" to come along doesn't happen for some time.

TOFFAIR
5th Oct 2010, 17:53
I doubt this theory a bit, look: Chinese hv bases in USA and EU, still its not a boom... the other side is you would have to comply with all the local rules concerning taxes, social security, pensions, etc at living costs higher then the deserts, if you take it all from that salary you would end up with a meager option. On the other hand for the companies its easier (+++cheaper) to raise a bit of the salary over the rivals and get the chaps needed then to have to cope with all the other legal issues...
I might be wrong but I wouldnt expect it to happen.
On the other hand what i believe could happen is that those airlines could build up new subsidiaries. Following the example of Air Arabia or Air Asia who would be encharged of doing the feeder into the regions.

KAC104
5th Oct 2010, 17:56
Correct me if I'm wrong but I do remember KU having bases in Chicago and pilots would stay there a month or two some prefered to remain longer even and just fly the ORD-AMS sector. This was on the A343 around '97-'98 (not a good memory on me)

I know of 2 pilots who remained there for 5 months straight as a "change of scenery" But not a lot of foreign pilots with KU back then.

I know of CC being stationed in LHR also doing the LHR-JFK-LHR run as well for years.

So why not QR now? It is a possibility for tag on routes later maybe.

Fubaliera
5th Oct 2010, 18:02
Lets pretend that Qr actually wants to have outside crew bases, the problem is crewing wouldnt have any idea on how to manage it. And when the first crew member calls in sick, and the flight is delayed, the outbase will be terminated.
The 777 fleet management presented a plan for them to have have outer bases, these guys want the best fleet and outerbases. If Qr really wanted to do outerbases it would be in their best interest to do 320 outer bases since its the worst fleet, it would be a incentive to stay in the fleet and not jump ship like eveyone else.

TOFFAIR
5th Oct 2010, 18:02
I agree with you about temporary station some crews, this would give the company even more flexibility, but thats not the same as building a base.