PDA

View Full Version : SAR in a blue suit

Hedgeporker
4th Oct 2010, 13:25
Hello all,

I've joined the Royal Navy Reserve while I go back to college (and pay attention this time!) to get my UCAS points for officer entry. I must admit I'm rather torn between the idea of FJ and Rotary with an eye on doing SAR/Ambulance driving in the afterlife.

I know, I know, I'll have to let the aptitude test decide and I may get chopped after that, and I haven't even passed out of BRNC yet, I know . .

. . . but I'd just like to hear about SAR from those of you who have done it, what the squadrons are like, what the local areas are like, hopefully some good dits and all that sort of thing.

Also, any news from those in the know? I remember reading somewhere about the privatisation of SAR being binned because of SDSR. Are the Sea Kings going to be replaced any time soon?

Any input from the wider SAR community is also most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

david parry
4th Oct 2010, 14:06
Aircrewmans Association (http://www.aircrewman.org.uk/) ;) Easy Easy Steady

Hedgeporker
4th Oct 2010, 22:48
Thank you Mr. Parry,

Rescue 194 looks like just the sort of gen I'm after. I'll see if I can get it from the library. Bit of a long shot maybe but you don't happen to know if similar books written by pilots do you?

david parry
5th Oct 2010, 08:22
Special Forces Pilot: A Flying Memoir of the Falkland War: Amazon.co.uk: Colonel Richard Hutchings: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1844158047/ref=cm_rdp_product) Inc... op Mikado;)

Biggus
5th Oct 2010, 10:21
I don't mean to be negative, my comments are meant to be realistic and practical - not often what someone who is following a dream wishes to hear. Given that you have 1-2 years(?) in college, then BRNC and afterwards flying training then we are looking at career appointments for you several years downstream.

I would suggest that for now you sit on your hands with regard to thinking about choices post BRNC, and wait for the results of the SDR, and general government spending review. We are not talking a long time here, the results should be announced in broad brush in about 2 weeks, and in finer detail over the next few months.

Somewhere in all the detail of government spending should be the decision whether or not to privatise SAR. You will also get an idea of how many FJ the RN will have in years to come at the same time.

In the meantime, keep working on those UCAS points.....

Hedgeporker
5th Oct 2010, 10:39
I don't mean to be negative, my comments are meant to be realistic and practical - not often what someone who is following a dream wishes to hear. Given that you have 1-2 years(?) in college, then BRNC and afterwards flying training then we are looking at career appointments for you several years downstream.

I would suggest that for now you sit on your hands with regard to thinking about choices post BRNC, and wait for the results of the SDR, and general government spending review. We are not talking a long time here, the results should be announced in broad brush in about 2 weeks, and in finer detail over the next few months.

Somewhere in all the detail of government spending should be the decision whether or not to privatise SAR. You will also get an idea of how many FJ the RN will have in years to come at the same time.

In the meantime, keep working on those UCAS points.....

Your comments are well appreciated Biggus.

I am self conscious of the fact that I'm champing at the bit. If anything I just wanted to get the silly questions out of my system and hear some good dits to tide me through college (1 year intensive course). :)