PDA

View Full Version : Canadian in the Middle-east? how do you...

airtractor
3rd Oct 2010, 13:47
Hello guys,

Having left Canada for the sandbox almost 2 years ago, I was wondering what my fellow Canadian citizen were doing regarding their TC licenses:

-Do you keep your TC license valid ? (is there even a point to do so?)

I recently Contacted TC and they specified that as long as you keep your IR valid overseas, you will not have to redo the inrat BUT a ride will have to be done in Canada by a Canadian examiner.

-What do you guys do to keep you license valid?

-having worked in the ME, how is your perception of the Canadian aviation industry? would you ever consider moving back and if yes for what airlines?

I can only shake my head in disbelief looking at the after-tax salaries offered in Canada: 1/2 if not a 1/3 of what we are making here.... Are there still any "dream jobs" left in Canada that would make your give up your current position in the ME?

Thank you for your feedback's

Airtractor

DownIn3Green
4th Oct 2010, 00:55
Once you,re in the Mid=East, you don't go back...If you get used to it, it's great...

If not, well, you shouldn't have gone there in the 1st place...

JammedStab
4th Oct 2010, 01:05
Are there still any "dream jobs" left in Canada that would make your give up your current position in the ME?

Airtractor

Actually, there are a whole bunch of them. They actually allow you to live full time in Canada. The dream of many.

Enjoy your time way over there. And your very brief time here.

Gotta go. Time to go for a drive and look at the colourful leaves of Fall.

bugg smasher
4th Oct 2010, 03:17
Actually, there aren’t, according my northern friends. The last two wise-@rse posts shouldn’t discourage you though. That other orifice they speak from, hopefully the upcoming winter will freeze, if not completely shut, then at least frost-bite incoherent.

I detect a serious case of the expat blues here, very difficult to avoid, especially when the locals are gunning for you, in my experience mostly just for sport, and you haven’t seen home for a long time.

The trick, my friend, is to arrange a wide-body type for yourself, preferably with at least 1000 hours in command (generously provided by your current employer), then migrate to one of the Asian carriers that base their expats in North America. That way, you’ll see your family not only on days off, but also on layovers, assuming they fly to the city you live in, or a reasonable proximity thereof. Would be just like a regular airline gig at home, only with inverse commutes.

Barring that, a change in career, thought of it many times in the past myself. Spending your productive years in the service of a foreign and uncaring taskmaster, at the expense of happiness and family, is something you should weigh very carefully.

airtractor
4th Oct 2010, 05:07
Great inputs, thank you for these wise words...

there can be as much beauty driving through a forest in the fall that driving through the dunes at dawn, it is just a matter of perception...
the definition of a "dream job" fundamentally changes once you go overseas and look back at the Canadian aviation industry...
Working for an Asian Carrier doing lay over in Canada as bugg said seems to be a good compromise...

cheers

CanadaKid
4th Oct 2010, 09:36
I kept my Canadian medical renewed (from a Canadian doctor in Dubai) for the first 3 years I was "away". Gradually, it dawned on me, there was no way I way going back to fly for a Canadian carrier. The ME is not nirvana but for this pilot, it's a far, far better gig than the anything I experienced in the last decade in Canadian aviation.

cheers, CK

Panama Jack
4th Oct 2010, 10:49
Your question leaves a bit of space for interpretation on what you mean by keeping the license "valid," but let me give it my best shot.

Q: Do you keep your TC license valid ? (is there even a point to do so?)

A: I do a Canadian medical about every two years to keep the option open to fly "C" registered aircraft recreationally. My friendly examiner is kind enough to do the complete the Canadian form at no additional charge, when I do my local medical, and TC sends me the medical about two months later.

I don't bother to do the IFR-- too expensive. TC has agreed with this and decided that scud running recreationa pilots is not the safest option for the system either. Expect possibly next year a new regulation removing the expiration date for the Instrument Rating from your licence. Currency provisions will become similar to what you have in the USA. Therefore, you will remain legally current based on your approaches and holds done in the simulator wherever you are employed (as long as you log them, of course).

Is there a point? Well, sure, once it gets economical enough it is just a bit of effort and about $55 CAD every two years. I don't mind that for the freedom of having the option of flying when on holiday.

Q: Having worked in the ME, how is your perception of the Canadian aviation industry?

A: It's "the dog's breakfast."

Q: Would you ever consider moving back and if yes for what airlines?

A: A little hard to say honestly. Near "home" there is scant little aviation, and I am unwilling to trade downwards into a Piper Navajo at this point in my career. It will be interesting when the Canadian aviation scene opens up to Cabotage by European carriers (thanks to the new aviation agreement between Europe and Canada). Who knows, perhaps I would apply for "Ryanair Canada" if they had the right base. But we are talking about a major financial hit.

The other thing that would have me consider moving back is if I were to be made reduntant through nationalization at my current employer. Then again, I am also working on a degree on the side and might look at something involving flying plus other activities.

Q: I can only shake my head in disbelief looking at the after-tax salaries offered in Canada: 1/2 if not a 1/3 of what we are making here.... Are there still any "dream jobs" left in Canada that would make your give up your current position in the ME?

You an me both. For years we were told by old salts "you have to pay your dues." Problem with Canada is that a large percentage never get beyond the point of paying their dues. Lets face it, the industry in Canada is rationalizing over time. The reason why there are opportunities in the ME, India, China, etc. is because of the rapid growth and that makes it a seller's market for pilots. One day (perhaps long time away) we probably won't be wanted or needed here either. Oman is leading that trend and countries like Bahrain, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia (in no particular order) are next in line.

I try to keep in mind that all jobs are "temporary"-- beit for 3 months or 30 years.

Good luck.

troff
4th Oct 2010, 16:11
Well said, Jack

GMC1500
5th Oct 2010, 10:55
I'm in the exact same sandbox, left Canada 2 yrs ago.
I couldn't care less about my canadian licences/medical, except if I want to take my kids up for a one hr joy ride in a 172.
There are no jobs at all worth considering in Canada if you're already in the middle east, I'm sure for my lifetime it will always be that way.
Canada is a good place to start a career as a pilot, bad place to try to finish it, unless your daddy was an AC capt.

Togalk
5th Oct 2010, 12:21
You only need to do a Canadian medical when you want to go back to Canada to fly. If you do that and you end up working for a commercial company, as soon as you do your PPC your licence will be reactivated.
WHAT YOU DO NEED TO DO NOW IS, go to http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-standards/26-0726_0811-02_bo.pdf
fill out the form and send it in, as the old paper license is no longer valid.

Willie Everlearn
5th Oct 2010, 17:22
bugg smasher has it wired. :ok:

I returned to Canada from the Sandbox just prior to the millenium.

I tried working for two of our more notable carriers (both no longer in operation I might add).

Simply stated, I couldn't get my head around either operation so I had to find something else to do that was more compatible for my own sanity. Let's be honest, no Canadian carrier will treat you the same way as any foreign carrier despite 'locals'. Despite changing agreements.

As much as I thought the sandbox was getting worse and worse contributing to my desire to leave when I did, it was one of the dumbest moves I've ever made. :ugh:
Re-patriating after a decade was worse than the 2 years it took me to adjust to the sandbox. Full stop.

I realize, it's a personal choice, but I flew my last Canadian registered aircraft in 2001. Perhaps I should put it this way, I've flown my last Canadian registered aircraft and have no intention to do otherwise for the remainder of whatever time I have left to maintain any of my 3 ATPLs.

There are NO dream jobs here in Canada. (pardon my sarcasm, but)
Air Canada is probably the most stable, but then you'd have to join ACPA. One of the silliest, most selfish, most narrow minded pilot unions on the planet.
Westjet is probably stable career wise, but, they're more interested in who-you-know than they are in qualifications and experience. So, being out of the country for several years is likely to drop you into a void with their system.
Air Transat are more concerned about your ability to speak french than they are about your qualifications and experience.
What I hear about Canjet is that they are living on borrowed time run by amateurs who've very little experience beyond Air Atlantic. As for the way they operate a 737, I'm told if it's good enough for Southwest it's good enough for Canjet.
Perhaps any of these are to your liking. Your call.

As bad as the sandbox may seem, it will always be what you make it. Don't listen to dissenters. Make your own life there and enjoy the tax free living as much as you can for as long as you can. Coming home will knock the life out of you no matter what colour the leaves are and no matter what season it is.

Just wait till you get a taste of the Reform Party (presently confused by most Canadians for the Conservative Party) minority government.

Willie :sad:

airtractor
6th Oct 2010, 14:29
really enjoyed reading all your inputs: felt like being home again!

thanks Togalk for the links regarding the new license, it will probably look more professional than our old folded piece of paper...

Willie, great analysis, did you took the canada 3000 / Jetsgo route?

"you have to pay your dues." Problem with Canada is that a large percentage never get beyond the point of paying their dues.

Q: Having worked in the ME, how is your perception of the Canadian aviation industry?

A: It's "the dog's breakfast."

I had a great laugh on that line, thanks Jack !

Cheers