PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment moratorium?

whiskers123
3rd Oct 2010, 09:16
Hopefully someone can shed some light on a rumour that I have heard concerning a moratorium on recruitment as a whole into the RAF - firstly, is this correct and, secondly, is this a temporary thing pending the outcome of the SDSR or is it a longer term plan to lose people through wastage and not replace them?

My brother recently went into his local CIO to enquire about NCA and was rebuffed by the civilian admin type behind the RAF desk. When he asked, there were no blue suits available to discuss options and he was sent away with a DVD and nothing more.

My brother is willing to look at other trades apart from NCA but his ultimate ambition, regardless of what trade he joins up as, is to become NCA one day. Are there any trades that are open or considered pinch trades at the moment? Cheers, W

Wyler
3rd Oct 2010, 09:51
Supply and Demand.

Very few Branches/Trades are open at the moment. Very little will change this year or the beginning of next until the extent and impact of the cuts are known. Things will be clearer by next April but my prediciton is a lot less of everything.

That said, the RAF is not going to disappear and so I would still encourage everyone who wants to apply to do just that. Competition, however, is going to be fierce and waiting times long so always have a Plan B.

It is also worth remembering that even a successful application and completion of basic training does not guarantee you will be kept. For the Officers there is just about zero reselection at the moment so some individuals, who have failed their 1st choice basic professional training, have found themselves back on the street despite gaining their Commission.

My experience of CIO staff has always been a bit hit and miss. They are not experts in every trade/Branch, more advisers on availability and processes, so take the leaflets and do the research yourself. Ask about the Realistic Job Previews where you get to go and spend a few days with the area of the RAF you are considering joining. They are good value.