PDA

View Full Version : Non event

radeng
2nd Oct 2010, 20:05
BBC News - BA flight to New York in emergency landing at Heathrow (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11458850)

OK, is it me, or is this a non-event barely worth mentioning? Yes the AAIB will investigate, but whether there's a recommendation out of it is another matter. I would have thought a fleet grounding over it was about as likely as MPs voting to reduce their pay to zero.......

To my mind, it rates lower in importance than

Chippenham toy library opens new chapter (From The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald) (http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/8423592.Chippenham_toy_library_opens_new_chapter/)

or am I just a crusty old cynical SLF?

SNS3Guppy
2nd Oct 2010, 22:05
Old and cynical, apparently.

Aircraft makes emergency return, vs. opening a library, and you wonder which will capture the interest of the paying public?

News exists to sell advertising. What is newsworthy isn't reflected in significance, but in interest. Anything dealing with aviation always sells. The truth is that an emergency landing is of greater interest to the paying public, and therefore a greater value in selling advertising by drawing interest to newspapers, television news programs, and the general advertising media, than the grand opening of a library.

KBPsen
2nd Oct 2010, 22:07
And your point is?

Other than to appear as another jaded "I've made so and so many GAs and other TLAs" veteran?

SNS3Guppy
2nd Oct 2010, 22:09
What is a "TLA?"

G-BPED
2nd Oct 2010, 22:57
What is a "TLA?"

Take your pick :)
TLA - Definition by AcronymFinder (http://www.acronymfinder.com/TLA.html)

Regards,

G-BPED

SNS3Guppy
2nd Oct 2010, 23:32
Ah. Tennessee Library Association. Got it.

Just as I thought...:ooh:

radeng
4th Oct 2010, 08:04
It's case of the journos making something of it because it's aviation. In reality it's a non-event being blown out of proportion.

Nick Riviera
5th Oct 2010, 13:51
It is not a non-event, that would be if the plane flew to its destination with not a hint of anything being wrong. In this case there was cause for the captain to decide to return to LHR, a decision not taken lightly I would imagine, The fact that it was, on the face of it, an exceedingly minor issue is neither here nor there. As SLF I am actually pleased to see it in the news because it says to me that BA are serious about safety. There is no need for some of the more sensationalist reporting but the item is newsworthy.

KBPsen
5th Oct 2010, 22:24
The fact is that people like rad-eng are wasting space by describing non-events.

Now please continue wasting space.

These kind of posts are purely for personal positioning or advertising purposes.

What is next? Should I make a post about how I have experienced so and so much as a passenger and I am so and so much cool of veteran of all that everyone can imagine?

Load Toad
6th Oct 2010, 03:36
24 hour news has to sell adverts. The fastest way to sell paper or site hits is to have sensationalist headlines. Planes making 'emergency landings' after just missing a primary school sell a lot of adverts.