PDA

View Full Version : USFS impressive

newfieboy
2nd Oct 2010, 03:45
Thought we were good in Canada,, but these boys really good, before all you tree huggers recoil in horror, standard practice on fires to back burn......Gordy, your'e the fire man USFS, do you know the guys. Didn't Barry L. and Ray M. used to do that sort of thing, up in the Sierra Nevadas, near Tahoe.

u1kpobfCgAk

:ok: As for the notar,e-type jag, loved it, got a 1000hr and abit meself, in MD's finest,well apaart from 902, and the "hot chick" Lynn. :D

Gordy
2nd Oct 2010, 04:57
Yep, this is a private contractor burning out a military base I believe. Their torch is pretty impressive, but then again they are just "nuking" the ground vs going for a more natural "mozaic" look.

Barry L. was carded for torch, but he expired many years ago. Ray M. never flew fire contracts....he has now left the FAA and is an independent examiner.

Not quite as impressive but this is me on the "Reynolds" burn on the Idaho/Montana border....Rumor has it, I may be torching an adjacent unit to this next week if I get off the Giraffe fire I am currently on down on the Wyoming/Idaho border:

B359-jTq-24

ospreydriver
2nd Oct 2010, 05:46
That is awesome!

On aerial firefighting...I've seen lots of openings on sites like justhelicopters.com and such for it, but they all have requirements such as "longline experience" or "USFS carded." Is this the typical aviation chicken-and-egg situation, i.e. experience is a requirement to get hired, but one can't get experience unless one is already hired?

I've flown hundreds of externals in the military, but they are all 15' pendant with a ground crew, not longline. Could I use that as experience to get me into such work?

Gordy
2nd Oct 2010, 05:51
ospreydriver

Unfortunately not. Anything less than a 50 foot line is not considered long line or "VR".

There are a few companies that will hire someone with the right attitude even if they do not have the full requirements, however in this economy it is highly unlikely.