PDA

View Full Version : Mansfield incident 01/10

c173
1st Oct 2010, 05:17
Heard over radio today on radar 135.7, a search was initiated for an aircraft at Mansfield ala.. Supposedly there was unconfirmed reports of a crash site and atleast one aircraft was sent to search..

Anyone have more info re this? occurred approx 12pm-1230pm ..

Cheers,

VH-XXX
1st Oct 2010, 05:44
That would be Lancefield.

THE 56-year-old pilot of a home-made plane has been winched out of his disabled aircraft after it got stuck in a tree canopy in an emergency landing attempt.
The two-seater kit plane is believed to have been experiencing engine trouble when the pilot, from North Fitzroy, attempted to land.
It ended up in trees in a heavily wooded area near Lancefield, north of Melbourne.
The air ambulance winched him out of his aircraft and flew him to an ambulance which was parked two kilometres away outside the forest.
He escaped with minor injuries.

Chu Mai Huang
1st Oct 2010, 07:31
:{ "I wish I'd bought a Lycoming instead....":{

Ultralights
1st Oct 2010, 08:17
:{"I wish I'd bought a Rotax instead....":{

added for post length

VH-XXX
1st Oct 2010, 08:27
That's not what the schools that are and were running 912's in their Tecnams at Bankstown would tell you! Lucky to make 1,200 hours. Maybe a little more reliable than a Jabiru, but comes at a price with a rebuild cost nearing $20k.

VH-XXX
1st Oct 2010, 11:30
http://images.whereilive.com.au/images/uploads/2010/10/01/99366cc835d265359b521e12ff0d41c1_resized.jpg

More photos here - Ouch. PHOTOS: Pilot back in air after lucky escape in Lancefield plane crash - Emergency Services - News - Macedon Ranges Leader (http://macedon-ranges-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/pilot-back-in-air-after-lucky-escape-in-lancefield-plane-crash/)

An IO 360 superior running an MT.

http://images.whereilive.com.au/images/uploads/gallery/2010/10/01/370cbff17dc7261d6a4680a0b4f19bfa_resized.jpg

dudduddud
1st Oct 2010, 11:41
I am at impressed how it knocked down all those trees on the way in.

Chu Mai Huang
1st Oct 2010, 12:21
IO-360? nope.:=

"Huffed" Subaru. One of a kind.:D

Sunfish
1st Oct 2010, 20:53
Had no problems with Rotax so far. New Engine TBO is now 2000 hrs.

Be aware of then need for the correct oil (motorcycle stuff or the new Shell oil) because you have a gearbox and slipper clutch to take care of. Oil change interval reduced if using Avgas because of lead deposits. Gears may need cleaning to remove lead. Mogas is preferred.

Learn to correctly establish oil level (ie: "Burp" the engine before level check).

Check water level..

Start engine at idle throttle, use choke if necessary.

Whats not to like?

VH-XXX
1st Oct 2010, 22:30
I looked up the aircraft and it said it had a Superior IO 360. Must have been switched over for some reason if it has a Suby. Great engine! (in a car)

As for the Rotax, they might be 2000 TBO but they rarely make anywhere near that, particularly at Bankstown for some reason. Jabirus don't do well at Bankstown either!

Ultralights
1st Oct 2010, 23:47
Rotax + Avgas = far more regular preventative maintenance, something the "taxes at YSBk seam to lack... keep the oil lead free and they go forever...
running the avgas, oil change every 25 Hrs MAX is recommended... the oil i have seen in some out there is liquid lead, nothing like the light bronze colour it should be.

though, the RV look a tough vehicle to clear some good size trees and remain intact

Chu Mai Huang
2nd Oct 2010, 01:53
100% Subaru from day one.
Fortunately the fella is AOK after his brush with the, well,,, brush.

VH-XXX
2nd Oct 2010, 02:08
Are you absolutely sure about that? I hope you are wrong coz if this guy has been buzzing around with a different engine to what the aircraft is registered with and hasn't got a re-issue of the C of A well things might happy with guys in sun glasses.

CASA say:
MKX AMATEUR BUILT AIRCRAFTVANGRUSVVAN'S RV-8A820258181SUPERIOR AIRPARTS ENGINESPistonIOF-360-B1A2GasolineFull

This other mob say the same:
Registration Search Results (http://www.rwy34.com/regsearch/ozresults.php?search_input=MKX)

Chu Mai Huang
2nd Oct 2010, 08:12
X, look at the big radiator bump on the side of the cowl.

CASA always gets things wrong.

Jabawocky
3rd Oct 2010, 11:08
CASA do not normally get the registration wrong........Normally!

Now for some facts........ a 4 cylinder subaru powered machine :uhoh: and to make matters worse, it was not normally aspirated.....and it was achieving something like 43" of Manifold Pressure. :eek:

So how long do you reckon that was going to last? :uhoh:

A very wise old man once told me.....you can't put 10lb of **** in a 5lb bag! Or not for long!

J:ok:

VH-XXX
3rd Oct 2010, 12:03
.... And you can't polish a turd either...

Desert Dingo
4th Oct 2010, 05:59
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/d.dingo/trees.jpgIt was a long way down!

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/d.dingo/TREES.JPG
I guess that if you must crash in the trees then this was the way to do it.

forward impact taken by wings, not fuselage.
ruptured tanks dumped fuel while aircraft up in canopy
aircraft had fall to ground broken by tree branches & then rear fuselage & main gear
aircraft remained level in fall to ground & didn't flip or fall inverted
aircraft ended up maybe 20ft away from the fuel spill
no ignition from live electrics
RV8 canopy ended up open & not jammed shut
working radio & gps after impact to assist SARSome other observations:
The engine failure was caused by a chewed-up timing belt.
The cockpit area remained completely intact.

Jabawocky
4th Oct 2010, 06:49
And what was the timing belt driving?

Did it also drive a supercharger or something that failed?

Those belts do not normally fail except when they have been installed, and not used, and left sit for many years?

frangatang
4th Oct 2010, 06:51
Moral of story? Keep clear of subaru engines in planes, they bite! Some folks never learn.

idleopdes
5th Oct 2010, 18:01
Another moral.... fly Van's! I do. Tough little machine. :ok:

frangatang
7th Oct 2010, 06:18
Here here ...with a lycosaurus at the front.