PDA

View Full Version : Hi just some basic questions about pilot employment in Oz

Poo-Bear
1st Oct 2010, 05:12
Hi, so there is a wealth of info on here, but i much prefer just asking questions, since i don't really have time right now to dig through it all.

My questions are;

Where is the best place in OZ to get started on floats, or just straightforward single engine non ifr? I have 335 tt, with about 135 on floats.

I live in Perth just have to get my canadian license converted.

Any info would be greatly received, thanks.

mustman
1st Oct 2010, 05:22
Australian Federation of Air Pilots - Pilot Jobs (http://www.afap.org.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=98&nav_cat_id=127&nav_top_id=73)

Two recent job ads in Cairns and Gold Coast

Cutter796
1st Oct 2010, 07:23
Sorry pooh-bear, we are full up at the moment.
Have seen ice pilots though, have you tried Buffalo Air?

Poo-Bear
1st Oct 2010, 07:43
What do you mean full up?

Yeah ive seen ice pilots... But i'm an Australian citizen, was only in Canada on a visa.

Thanks for the link mustman

Poo-Bear
1st Oct 2010, 07:51
Is there a published list of all the air operators in Australia?
That would give me all the info i needed to start making phone calls and sending resume's.
Cheers.

tail wheel
1st Oct 2010, 09:20
CASA publish a listing of AOC holders which you can search - try HERE (http://casa-query.funnelback.com/search/search.cgi?collection=casa_aoc).

Good luck with the CASA web site......... :*

MakeItHappenCaptain
2nd Oct 2010, 18:39
Don't stress, Poo.
Everyone's just used to every single pilot in Kiwiland applying whenever a job gets advertised over here.:rolleyes:

Why don't they just get it over and done with and make it the eighth state?:hmm:

mattyj
2nd Oct 2010, 19:29
..its just because "Kiwiland" has about a dozen high capacity (read sausage factory) flying schools turning out 200 hr CPLs at the rate of round 40 or so each every 18 months and we have practically no GA here

VH-XXX
2nd Oct 2010, 21:59
If AFAP did an IP address review on all traffic to their job page, 70% of it would come from NZ.

Last job we advertised was about 70/30 Kiwi versus Aussie.

Aquaplaner
3rd Oct 2010, 00:20
There are a couple of companies in the Kimberley, with large fleets, that have also operated floats. Likewise in the Whitsunday's.

Otherwise there has been small float operations out of Darwin, Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne and down in Tasmania.

Poo-Bear
3rd Oct 2010, 03:55
Hey thanks for the help guys, just to clarify, im an australian who went to canada to get trained up and just returned.

bushy
3rd Oct 2010, 07:34
Auustralia is too big a liability for NZ to handle. They may grow and come to help us some time in the future.

captboeing737ng
3rd Oct 2010, 09:29
So is it really worth the move? I have a CPL with all the shiny add-ons from New Zealand but can't find a job here in NZ. :ugh:
I'm resigned to fact I might have to move to Aussie to get my first job, but if everyone else from New Zealand is leaving for there first job in Australia is it really worth the move? I might as well wait because by the sound of things, OZ is swallowing all the NZ pilots.

What I want to know is; what is the job situation like for low time, newbie pilots in australia? Is it all bright lights and glitter in the aviation Industry over there, or is the recession still biting?

Any information is appreciated.:ok:

VFRSTAR
3rd Oct 2010, 19:01
Pilotcareercentre has a pretty good list of operators that are divided into type and locations. Also has contact information that sometimes is out of date but will give you a good start. Good luck on the conversion, mine only took about a month or so. Industry seems to be better in Australia than here in canada, especially with the lakes freezing soon.

mattyj
4th Oct 2010, 08:09
captain boeing 737 ng (thats a valuable rating to have!!!) there never was a recession in Australia and there definitely isn't now. Go and get a gas station job in Darwin if you can't find a flying job. You'll still be rich compared to NZ wages