PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Flying In To Phillip Island MotoGP?

Sunfish
30th Sep 2010, 02:45
Anyone Else Flying In To Phillip Island MotoGP VFR?

Been invited twice, couldn't do it once, bad weather stopped me the second time, but Third time lucky on the 17th.

I know the strip, the race will be late this year for TV, but civil twilight leaves plenty of time to get back to YMMB according to my calculations, anyone got any comments?

VH-XXX
30th Sep 2010, 03:44
If you do fly in there Sunny, watch out for large trucks when you are on late final.

Sunfish
30th Sep 2010, 06:18
From Google Street View image 1058 Phillip Island Road.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/sunfish1/22atYPID.jpg?t=1285827014

The touchdown "zone" is about 88 metres from the road centreline on 22 at YPID.

The equivalent distance at 17L at YMMB from Centre Dandenong Road is about 170 metres.

..Unless of course you wish to land about a Third of the runway in?

Granted, the usual stiff South Westerly will give you a steeper approach, but I know of one Tiger Moth that almost ran out of fuel waiting for a B Double to pass the end of the strip.

Then of course, there are the runway hazards, I've lost count of the number I've seen splattered on that strip. They seem to be attracted to it.............

http://www.tourism.vic.gov.au/piecesofvictoria/june_2009/i/Penguin%20Hospital-1.jpg

Wally Mk2
30th Sep 2010, 09:30
............hey just don't get in my way guys, am likely to blow yr wings off:-)
Was better when they had the pwr lines on that rd xing the App to rwy 22 (I think) that way you where forced to stay high & trucks where not a problem....bloody pluvers & rabbits though!!!!!:)

Wmk2

MyNameIsIs
30th Sep 2010, 09:35
Then of course, there are the runway hazards, I've lost count of the number I've seen splattered on that strip. They seem to be attracted to it.............

http://www.tourism.vic.gov.au/piecesofvictoria/june_2009/i/Penguin%20Hospital-1.jpg

First problem is that he isn't wearing the appropriate high-vis.....

Tidbinbilla
30th Sep 2010, 09:38
No, but I'll be doing what any true blue motorcycle enthusiast will be doing:

RIDING down :} and camping trackside :ok:

Sunfish
30th Sep 2010, 10:30
Six degrees approach puts you at about Ten metres above the road at that aim point on 22 at YPID.

Three degrees approach puts you at 4.6 metres above the road.

Height limit for trucks around 4.2 metres.

Given the SSF (Sunfish Stupidity factor), I look for trucks.

VH-XXX
30th Sep 2010, 11:05
Jeez Sunny, you think about stuff way too much. If I thought that much about flying I'd never leave the ground.

No, but I'll be doing what any true blue motorcycle enthusiast will be doing:

RIDING down http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif and camping trackside http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Wow there. A chick on a bike that also flies!

lethalw
30th Sep 2010, 13:01
Tidbinbilla,

I too will be coming in, but as you correctly said.....On two wheels with a thumping V-Twin in between, all the way from sunny WA!

It's gonna be a great weekend!

Boo Yah!

Stationair8
14th Oct 2010, 06:19
Doesn't look good for Saturday Sunfish, Sunday may be marginally better.

Up to speed on crosswind landings?

waren9
14th Oct 2010, 21:27
It'll be on two wheels for me too! Safe travels all.

Sunfish
15th Oct 2010, 03:46
Stationaire8:

Up to speed on crosswind landings?

Yup.

Step 1: Aim half a mile upwind of threshold.

Step 2: At 500 ft, You put the ailerons away from the wind and the rudder into the wind.

Step 3: You will suddenly find yourself lined up with the strip.

Step 4: Reverse step 2 and land. :}

Seriously, indications are that a stiff South to South Westerly will be blowing, so 22 would be in use, so no unusual crosswind component anticipated, but that doesn't mean that I can't stuff it up. My landings can be problematic even with no wind and bright sunshine.:E

Current major issue is that a little penguin rang me and told me that the track is flooded, so no practice session this morning. I anticipate things will start drying out very fast tomorrow morning.

I'll check about parking arrangements and maybe put the chains on the Pipers wheels if its very wet, or take a tow bar.

VH-XXX
15th Oct 2010, 04:34
Saw a Saratoga get bogged on only one wheel on the weekend, took a LOT of force to get it out. Had to dig it out in the end and tow it with a kind-of snatch strap. Amazingly wet at the moment!

Sunfish
15th Oct 2010, 10:28
Last week I Saw a 185 get really wet too. Amazing Victorian Spring.

Stationair8
16th Oct 2010, 06:27
More concerned about the freezing level, it would be about knee high?

waren9
16th Oct 2010, 10:19
Thats OK. If the FL is only knee high, by the time you get to shoulder height, it'll be too cold to get ice at all.

rattly_spats
25th Oct 2012, 12:24
Hi peoples,

I'm thinking of flying into YPID for the 2012 event. I'm interested to know if there's any tricks and tips I should be aware of (apart from the obvious NOTAMs, which I've already checked, and the need for PPR). Looks like an arrival around the eastern side of Westernport Bay would work fine, and the WX for Sunday is looking OK too.

Oh, and I believe there's a bus service that can take you to the track from the airport. Anyone know anything about that?

Cheers, Phil

yowieII
25th Oct 2012, 13:26
Aaahhh feels like home:}:} doesn't look any different than it did 15 or so years ago...take it from one that has...do NOT get anywhere near the edge of the gravel, even if it hasn't been raining...

Sunfish
25th Oct 2012, 20:00
Be very careful on the taxiways because was bumpy last time I was there and a prop strike is a possibility for the unwary.

...And don't get off the gravel!:}

Aussie Bob
25th Oct 2012, 20:30
Rattlyspats, ya can't miss the bus, there is a shuttle from right out the front of the airport, ditto back again but you can't be trusted crossing the road on the return journey so you go via the bridge and town ...

rattly_spats
29th Oct 2012, 20:52
Thanks for the info everyone, the flight went well, I stuck to the gravel and we had a great day at the MotoGP. FYI landing fees at YPID were $40 including a ride from the parking area at the south end up to the road.

Rattlyspats, ya can't miss the bus, there is a shuttle from right out the front of the airport, ditto back again but you can't be trusted crossing the road on the return journey so you go via the bridge and town ... Ah yes, the bus. Aussie Bob, the bus trip back was exactly as you say: you get a scenic up-and-over the San Remo bridge and then back to the airport. The thing I wasn't expecting is that I ran for the bus as the big race finished (at 16:45), made it onto the third one to depart and finally got back to the airport around 18:40! I'd hoped to be half way home by then. So the lesson is: it's easy to fly in, the bus works ($15 return) but traffic is such that if you want to get home in daylight you'd better leave the track well before the crowds do!

Tonym3
30th Oct 2012, 00:16
I flew down from Sydney with three mates and we all agreed that the $90 per head to take helicopter from track to airport seemed like a good idea for next year. Tried to organise it this year but was told that they were booked solid until at least 7:30pm.

If I never spend another 2 hours sitting on a crap bus in heavy traffic, I won't be unhappy. But it wasn't bad enough to spoil an otherwise fantastic day.

There was at least one bloke whose day did turn to sh!t - poor bastard was standing in the drainage ditch next to his stride that had pissed itself - coolant all over the ground and bike steaming. :{