PDA

View Full Version : Flying School starts a detention room for its students

blindworm2003
30th Sep 2010, 02:10
Rumor has it that a certain flying school based at the Christchurch international airport has started detaining students who continue to fail their exams. As a professional training organisation thats a bit awkward. Students who turn up late for their flights are ordered to wash aircraft. Thats right people, after paying $65000 plus you are told to wash aircraft and put on detention. Why do you people think about training organisations treating people this way, after spending so much money?

A question for anyone with an answer. Indian students are made to pay some form of Levy every month (NZ$1000) at this academy. They say its for foreign students but the Japanese and other nationalities are not charged. Are there any other flight schools out there ( New Zealand) that charge this levy?

Lord Spandex Masher
30th Sep 2010, 02:14
What's the beef? You pay the training school to prepare you for life as an airline pilot. That includes instilling discipline if necessary.

What do you think happens at an airline if you continue to turn up late and fail LPC's and the like; A pat on the back and a there there baby?!

MartinCh
30th Sep 2010, 03:27
haha, good fun. Is that for real, though? :ugh: OK, some primary/high school in the US, OK, but flight school? What about having some sort of 'no flying day after' system, some other 'incentive'? I'd tell them to :mad: off if for some reason I couldn't make it or what and they asked me to get into some place to stay inside.

Discipline is good, in regards to lateness and some intentional bad behaviour, but low academic achievement?
Failing exams? What about extra tuition?

1000 extra for Indians? Oh, that'd be the supplementary service fee for instructors. Although I'd charge Japanese as well.

Lord Spandex Masher
30th Sep 2010, 03:49
What about extra tuition?

You mean like...?

detaining students who continue to fail their exams

You can bet your bottom dollar that the flying school isn't detaining them in as far as locking them in a tiny room with only bread and water for sustenance!

Cows getting bigger
30th Sep 2010, 07:30
Maybe it is more of a creche? Late for school - not really on, even if you are paying for it. :zzz:

Groundloop
30th Sep 2010, 07:42
Students who turn up late for their flights are ordered to wash aircraft.

Bl@@dy good idea! The only way you can get through to some people today is hit them hard (unfortunately, not physically!).

Also shows them what the future might hold for themselves if they do not improve their attitude.

Grass strip basher
30th Sep 2010, 10:21
Some people pay US$30k a year to go to boarding schools in the UK to get an education.... why is flight school so very different?? So long as you know what you are signing up to!

BigGrecian
30th Sep 2010, 13:44
I don't object.

I watch many fellow studnets expect the school to provide the training expect lots of extra help because they're struggling and be professional.

However, I would say that a large minority aren't putting anything close to the effort required yet demand so much from the school whilst not giving anything.

You get out of it what you put in - and as stated on a previous thread there are a lot of students with unrealistic expectations of what they will achieve with the amount of effort they put in.

jbayfan
30th Sep 2010, 14:34
The extra 1000 bucks for the Indians probably has to do with the fact that most schools use Indian agents to recruit students and these agents charge the schools a commission, as they rightly should. The schools can't absorb these commissions due to the historically low margins on flight training so they charge the students for it. However, this school seems to be hiding the fee as Indian students are generally very sensitive to cost and the agents don't tell them that they are receiving a commission for recruiting the students.

student88
30th Sep 2010, 20:15
You turn up late for a couple of flights at easyJet or cause a few unnecessary go-arounds and you'll wish you were put in detention.

paco
2nd Oct 2010, 10:44
We've got a real gaol at the end of our street..... don't give me ideas! :)

Phil