PDA

View Full Version : "They want Emiratis to take over [most of the jobs in] the airline eventually."

jack schidt
29th Sep 2010, 15:16
That was Gulf News take on the latest batch of EK cadets.

Well, for a start the airline would only operate for 11 months a year.

As a pilot in Ek, I can tell you now, it would be safer to fly with Ryanairs plan to replace the co-pilot with a Cabin crew member in an emergency than have an emergency in the flight with this situation in the future.

I might have to never bother with the concession flights in retirement, but who knows?

Ask Expat pilots how many check the crew before they book their flights for staff travel!

Oblaaspop
29th Sep 2010, 15:38
Actually Jack, with the odd exception, the vast majority of the Locals I fly with are good guys and decent operators, they may lack broad 'big picture' knowledge, but that will come with time.

These guys are generally fully aware of their limitations, unlike a lot of the 'septics' (most of whom have a grade 8 at 'blowing their own trumpet') who are able to 'talk' a great flight but consistently fail to deliver!

Nightfire
29th Sep 2010, 16:32
couldn't agree more with Oblaaspop.
The Emiratis that I fly with are really good guys. They know their stuff, they are reliable, and have excellent CRM. It's always a pleasure to fly with them.
And this CAN NOT be said about quite a lot of other expat-pilot colleagues of mine.

So as long as I can keep my job (and I doubt that anybody's gonna take it away from me for the next ten years or so, by which time I'll probably have left anyway) - I'm fine with the Emiratisation-programme.

And if you think about some of the office-positions currently in the hands of people from the sub-continent or even further east than that, I would welcome more locals taking over ANYTIME!

alwayzinit
29th Sep 2010, 17:10
As of the moment globally there are about 300,000 professional pilots out of a global population of what 6 Billion??

Thats .05% of the global population

EK NEEDS 900 guys now and probably 5000 pilots total when all the aircraft are delivered.

Now what is the UAE Emirati population, 200,000? So that would be 2.5% of the whole UAE Local population when all the Jets are here.

Want and achievable NOT the same thing.

Gulf News..............nearly as good as the Daily Mail:ugh:

Bus429
29th Sep 2010, 19:11
How difficult is this piloting thing? Anyone think I could do it?

rightstuff
29th Sep 2010, 19:31
Steady Bus, you're about to whip up a hornets nest!

King Chile
29th Sep 2010, 23:43
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs364.snc3/23502_1374008953202_1321162941_31056536_5810304_n.jpg

Iver
30th Sep 2010, 01:03
What most people forget is that you are in THEIR country. It is not your country. You are a guest. If you fly for THEIR airline, you should consider yourself a guest employee. There are no labor unions. If you want better job security, return to unionized airlines in the UK, France, Germany, Australia and the US. That's the point.

Dixons Cider
30th Sep 2010, 04:57
guest (ɡɛst) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
1. a person who is entertained, taken out to eat, etc, and paid for by another
2. a. a person who receives hospitality at the home of another: a weekend guest
3. a. a person who receives the hospitality of a government, establishment, or organization

Up to you to decide if you are a guest, or not....

White Knight
30th Sep 2010, 05:02
You are a guest. If you fly for THEIR airline, you should consider yourself a guest employee.

I am not a guest here, I am a resident... I fly, they pay me... Simple!

a345xxx
30th Sep 2010, 05:04
I believe its called nationalization and happens everywhere..... Its a process started in the west... think USA and Europe and has been adopted by a lot of countries.

I just wonder why its a problem over here... I don't see any expats in the good ole USA, hey wait a minute I don't see any expats in BA, VS or QF either!!!!!

OMG!

White Knight
30th Sep 2010, 05:53
I don't see any expats in the good ole USA, hey wait a minute I don't see any expats in BA, VS or QF either!!!!!

That's because all who would be expats are given passports for those countries:=:=

Bus429
30th Sep 2010, 07:26
Hi Rightstuff,
After years as an avionics maintenance engineer and many hours spent up front with you guys, I reckon the most difficult bit is taxying to and from the runway; those charts look very complicated (and filling out the tech log; many of you guys can't add the hours).
I reckon that once at the end of the runway, engage A/T, let the brakes off and pull back on the column when the end of the runway gets close. After 1500' select AFCS CMD (or whatever) and navigate through the MCP or let the FMS do it. If it is too noisy, I've probably left the gear down.
As for landing...that's what autoland is for:p

gastounet
30th Sep 2010, 08:12
Bus429,
What a stupid post ...

LearBus
30th Sep 2010, 08:15
I've never worked for a company where people sh1t on their colleagues and entire groups of colleagues as much as they do here. It's actually pretty sad.

sirwa69
30th Sep 2010, 08:58
Well King Chile's post proves that they have huge amounts of handling ability.
I reckon that guy would have also put the Delta CRJ down in JFK on one set of MLG with no problems :}

White Knight
30th Sep 2010, 09:48
Hey bus249 - I reckon anyone could do this engineering stuff!!!

Get a set of overalls on, get them dirty, hit the solenoids with a hammer and write totally illegibly in the tech log - something about 'bite check satis' but looks like a doctors scribble that the flight crew struggle to decipher... And then put a sticky, greasy fingerprint on the MCDU screen that one of the crew just cleaned:D

Touche amigo:cool:

Bus429
30th Sep 2010, 09:54
White Knight,
We've obviously worked together! My tech log sign offs were mostly illegible! Anyway, were you using the approved cleaners on the screen?

Gastounet - I agree, deliberately flippant but not as bad as the not-so-subtle racism of this thread.

White Knight
30th Sep 2010, 10:01
Anyway, were you using the approved cleaners on the screen?

Only if there are some on board, otherwise vinegar, lemon juice, sulphuric acid etc seems to work quite well:ok:

BackpackPilot
30th Sep 2010, 10:01
Iver, I see you've fallen hook, line and sinker for the "guest worker" crap people love to spout. Always worst when it comes form a fellow expat who's been converted.

I truly hope it does not ever happen but if some local doing 120km/h in a 60 zone takes you out in a roundabout one day, and, god-forbid, someone dies, and the cops decide it's YOUR fault, try to remember to tell them you are a "guest" here.

What about all the indian, bangladeshi and paki labourers? You've read all the stories and you've SEEN how they're treated. Are they guests, too?

The "guest" concept is just one more in a long line of deceitful and inaccurate impressions given to the place to lure in the cash in all the ways necessary.

As for localisation, they tried to "emiritize" the Spinneys checkouts a few years back. After about 6 weeks of confusion, disinterest and lackadaisical performance, it was fielded back to the flippers and "service" resumed.

No idea why they're called emiratis. KSA is a kingdom; theyre not called kingies.

As for performance, it's hard to look past The Link.

CAYNINE
30th Sep 2010, 10:21
Besides it is usually pis3 weak expats that say "we are guests" . So not the nats that started that one.

Most of the Emirati guys I have flown with are very good and have a great attitude, as said above more than I can say about some of the other expat 1st world types.

Bus429
30th Sep 2010, 10:38
White Knight - at least you are one of the pilots who cleans the screens! (admission:when I worked EK Line Maintenance in DXB, I used to use a damp Emirates first class handtowel to clean the screens after dusting the centre console of the A310/A300 with a soft 2" brush).

Mr Good Cat
30th Sep 2010, 11:02
Anyway, were you using the approved cleaners on the screen?

Only if there are some on board, otherwise vinegar, lemon juice, sulphuric acid etc seems to work quite well

I find if you open a yoghurt at altitude pointing it towards the screen, it provides a nice anti-reflective coating once smeared-in to stop that glare on the approach.

Top tips provided for free by MGC ;)

Bus429
30th Sep 2010, 11:52
Yoghurt is the sort of cultured approach I'd expect from a pilot.

rightstuff
30th Sep 2010, 16:05
Bus, I remember your sign off's. Didn't you study Egyptology before you became a laxiyonics( sorry avionics) engineer?

Bus429
30th Sep 2010, 17:09
Hmm, I recognise rightstuff as a right dud...