PDA

View Full Version : duty vs. flying on airbus and boeing in ek

The Zohan
27th Sep 2010, 06:27
gents,

just out of curiosity and since our networks are so different.

i fly airbus in ek and looking at my last 6 months and not counting leave or reserve i get an average of about 140 hours duty time for 89-91 hours of flying.

how many duty hours do you guys on the boeing work for the same amount of flying?

cheers,

tz

Mr Good Cat
27th Sep 2010, 09:22
B777

91 block versus 115 duty for September.

But I bid to avoid turnarounds, so therefore probably less time actually at home in DXB.

Also I suppose I spend more time 'well out of time zone' which can make things seem a little more tiring.

Have to say I'm happier on this fleet than I would be on the HAL 9000 fleet;), but that's just me.

Kamelchaser
27th Sep 2010, 11:05
And it's just going to get worse for those Airbus guys doing the new double sectors DOH/DOH and DOH/KWI. That's going to be about 12 1/2 hours duty or more for bugger all flying pay.

Someone said to me the other day..."but we used to do that a while ago". Yes we did, but we were also doing 70-80hrs back in those days. Now when you're already doing 90+ hours, and you get lumbered with a couple of these double sectors in the same month...it adds up to a shyte load of duty time.

Some people are getting up towards the same hours as an office worker..but with the disrupted sleeping patterns from numerous variation night sectors and East/West time zone changes.

..Only a matter of time.

Mr Good Cat
27th Sep 2010, 14:01
...so true...

4 sector days are fine on low cost or short haul narrowbody a/c - you report exactly 1 hour before your flight and then do 4 sectors with 20 minutes on the ground in between... and you son't get sacked when you make a mistake through being tired.

Here you arrive at HQ almost 2 hours before (only 1 hour credit) and your time on the ground between sectors will be about 1h 45 (longer if it's in Saudi). It makes for a very long day, especially if you've only had 12 hours rest beforehand.

Not sure this idea will last, especially if it's planned up to max FDP - how often do you end up pushing late out of DXB at peak times and compound the delay at an outstation with poor handling?

fatbus
28th Sep 2010, 08:42
Don't think duty hours work in comparing rosters. Flying hours and days off seem to be a better comparison.AB 90 hrs 8 days off 777 90 hrs 12 days off. I enjoy some of the turn arounds, gives me more time with family and less time away so my duty hours might look high but home more