PDA

View Full Version : Pilots wearing uniforms at airports

The_Pharoah
27th Sep 2010, 00:30
hi guys

Just a question for my understanding - why do pilots NOT wear their uniforms at airports? I was at YBBN on Saturday morning and spotted quite a few pilots with their wings, caps, etc all hidden or tucked into their bags.

Is there a requirement to not wear them unless on duty or is it something more? (I'm not trying to stir...just understand as I pointed out a few pilots to my son who asked "but daddy, why aren't they wearing their hats?" and I wasn't really sure how to answer).

Thanks

P

compressor stall
27th Sep 2010, 01:02
It makes getting through security easier?

18-Wheeler
27th Sep 2010, 01:07
It's certainly easier to move through the punters unmolested.

Example: When I was flying for an airline in the Pacific, we used to go to/from Los Angeles. When it was time to leave LA we had to stand around at the QF counter for about ten minutes waiting for the cabin crew to show up. Invariably we'd get several punters come up and ask us where such-and-such airline counter was. That got old really quickly so I just used to say, "oh they're about two hundred yards that way" and point down the far end of the terminal. The other crew would ask me how I knew that.
"How would I know?"

zanzibar
27th Sep 2010, 02:56
not wear them unless on duty

that makes sense to me. why would you wear it if you were not on duty?????

I guess you have to consider the wan*er factor, though.

Mach E Avelli
27th Sep 2010, 04:52
As well as you don't want the great unwashed public coming up to you all irate and saying "That landing was so bad it broke all my duty free booze".

The Green Goblin
27th Sep 2010, 05:04
Its just accepted practice. If you spot a fellow Pilot at the local shops getting a coffee in uniform you have a bit of a chuckle.

The worst offenders are generally SPLs, hell I saw a WAAC student at a nightclub in Perth years ago in full uniform on the dance floor, (around 2005??) I think the pictures may have been posted on here :)

The only time the uniform is fair game is commuting to and from work, some guys even remove the insignia as soon as they log off at shifts end.

BoundaryLayer
27th Sep 2010, 05:14
Goose, she's lost that loving feeling...

YouTube - Top Gun: She's lost that loving feeling (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTbASqoqH3Q&feature=related)

Gen. Anaesthetic
27th Sep 2010, 06:15
For pilots on duty travel heading back home they will often remove wings etc' or put a sweater on so that they can have a drink. The general rule is no alcohol can be purchased or consumed while there is anything that identifies you as being part of the airline. The other side to this though is that if you do have any part of the uniform on then you have to wear all of it. That is to say, you can't just go half and half (say wings on and no epaulettes).

It is also a case of wanting to be somewhat invisible as 18-wheeler points out. I know when I am on duty travel heading home it is not uncommon for the passenger next to me to ask all the usual questions about flying if I am in uniform. I have no problem with this and I will always oblige, but sometimes if I just want to sleep or relax it is easier to remove all evidence. I have to say I feel a bit uncomfortable when people start staring at the uniform but that's just me.

Fuel-Off
27th Sep 2010, 07:01
Further to Gen. Anaesthetic's experiences, whenever I have to duty travel then to operate on the other side, I'll wear the uniform only to have the usual wise crack 'Hey mate, aren't you supposed to be up the front?' :hmm: I usually reply with, 'I should...thought it might be a tad more adventurous if I tried driving from row 3.' But to keep to the thread I, like the rest of the piloting fraternity, will only wear the uniform at work.

Fuel-Off :ok:

OZvandriver
27th Sep 2010, 07:14
Just the other day I had to cringe when I saw a student pilot in full uniform walk into a busy suburban shopping centre.:ugh:

troppo
27th Sep 2010, 07:25
I'm more concerned about the day nurses stop wearing uniforms.

MakeItHappenCaptain
27th Sep 2010, 07:35
Just the other day I had to cringe when I saw a student pilot in full uniform walk into a busy suburban shopping centre.

Let me guess, two bars with the flying school logo at the top, 5kg wings and a set of bug-eye Ray-Bans on?:yuk:

wombat_keeper
27th Sep 2010, 09:43
Some SPLs obviously have the need to have something pinned to their chest to justify the dosh that their forking out nowadays ! 5 command hours to get GFPT would have to be worth 1 gold bar surely ? :D

As you work up the food chain in life there's really no need to try to impress the wannabees on the side line, dressing down is dressing up in a way. Even chefs don't go home in their uniform.
Personally i cant think of anything worse than seeing 300 hour junior grade 3s strutting their stuff barred up to the hilt, parading around like their in the mardi gra their the worse offenders in my book.
Unless your in RPT or pax charter its a big toss methinks.

dodo whirlygig
27th Sep 2010, 11:00
a WAAC student at a nightclub in Perth years ago in full uniform
a student pilot in full uniform walk into a busy suburban shopping centre.

as an earlier poster said

the wan*er factor,

strutting their stuff barred up to the hilt
wow, that'll get the girls interested, for sure ..................

Fuel-Off
27th Sep 2010, 12:01
"wow, that'll get the girls interested, for sure .................. "
That is...until they find out how much he actually earns :cool:

mattgitau
27th Sep 2010, 15:40
Its suprises me the insecurities of so many on here (and it only seems to apply to Australia) - and how they consider themselves 'too cool' to wear their unifom - even when in the airport.

I can understand there are some valid reasons for not wearing it - i.e paxing after operating, and just wanting to remain anonymous or have a drink - but really, is it that big a deal. I often see crew in Hong Kong and London wearing uniforms whilst sitting in airport coffee shops, or even on public transport such at the Airport express or Heathrow Express - its really not that big a deal.

As for 18-wheeler - is it really that hard to either assist someone as best you can, or just politely apologise and tell them that your not based at LAX. You must be a prized tw@t, and must feel like the big man after your actions! I am frequently asked by passengers while walking through heathrow where such and such is, and its nothing, to try assist or a polite smile and small apology cant resolve - i consider it a common courtesy....I guess you are too cool to need to ask anyone for assistance.

I know there is a time and place for the uniform but dont see any problems with guys wearing their uniforms in or near the airport especially.

Artificial Horizon
27th Sep 2010, 21:56
Can I ask it around the other way. 'Why would you wear your uniform when not about to report for, or actually being on duty??'

As soon as I hit the carpark all 'pilot' identifying guff comes off, but then again I also tell people at social gatherings that I sell 'UPVC Piping' as I became totally sick of people venting their 'bad' airline stories or insisting on telling me I get paid far too much money for simply pushing a few buttons:{:ugh:

Mr. Hat
27th Sep 2010, 22:01
Can we please see the photos of the student pilot in the nightclub with the uniform on? Please.

mic310
28th Sep 2010, 00:17
I second that,would love to see aswell:}:}:}!!!!!!

havick
28th Sep 2010, 02:22
What's the big deal about when someone is wearing their uniform?

Personally I'm too lazy to change out of my zoombag until I get home afte a long shift... Big deal... That being said, I certainly don't go out of my way to where it anywhere other than when I'm rostered on..

Dixons Cider
28th Sep 2010, 02:35
When I'm going to work I wear it, coming home I wear it. If that means I have a stop for a coffee doing while so, then so be it. Its just what by bosses tell me I have to wear when I'm working. Train drivers do the same.

Fully understand though about taking the time to "de-identify" while dead heading and the like

18-Wheeler
28th Sep 2010, 02:38
LOL, opinions from the ignorant.
My ulterior motive was to give them a chance to walk off the 300 donuts they had for breakfast .... and perhaps to actually read the information signs plastered around the place.

Worrals in the wilds
28th Sep 2010, 02:58
My ulterior motive was to give them a chance to walk off the 300 donuts they had for breakfast .... and perhaps to actually read the information signs plastered around the place.

Q. Is this the Qantas Terminal?
A. No, we just hung up that big Qantas sign and parked all those Qantas aircraft you can see there to confuse you. It's actually the United Airlines Terminal, thanks for asking. Qantas don't have a terminal anymore, they've decided to get out of aviation and move into rail freight. Haven't you seen the ads with J Travolta driving a Qantas train yet? :ugh::}

99% of pax are great and of course we all ask dumb questions when we're out of our usual environment. The other 1% probably only escaped Darwin's Theory due to 'caution coffee is hot' OH&S legislation. If you deal with 3000 pax a day 1% is 30 cretins and after a while it gets really daunting if you're not a born Customer Service type. After working in the terminals for years I don't blame anyone who's staff for 'hiding'.

John Citizen
28th Sep 2010, 03:07
I prefer not to wear my uniform so that I can look and act normal without restriction !!

Whilst on duty (in uniform at an airport) :
- we are not supposed to use our mobile phone
- we are discouraged from eating and drinking in public unless in an eating place
- we are discouraged from walking with food and beverages in our hand
- we have to act in a professional manner

When not in uniform I can :
- carry a coffee and drink it
- use my mobile freely
- act normal and swear as much as I like (as we normally do) when I speak

like_that
28th Sep 2010, 03:19
Loved that comment JC.

Atlas Shrugged
28th Sep 2010, 03:36
When not in uniform I can :
- carry a coffee and drink it
- use my mobile freely
- act normal and swear as much as I like (as we normally do) when I speak

You can pick your nose and scratch your nuts as well ;)

vee tail
28th Sep 2010, 06:04
Arent we sposed to scratch our nuts and fart as we walk dragging it through the terminal;).
I must re-read the FAM again.

I too wear my uniform to and from work coz I too am too lazy to take off the bling until I get home incase I lose it. Does this make me a tosser:confused:
Unless dead heading prior or post duty as we regulalry do the I de-bling:ok:

troppo
28th Sep 2010, 07:13
Photos of student pilots in night clubs...how about the ATPLs that were flashing their licences to strippers at a well known strip club in upper queen st in akl 5 years ago. I saw it, I overheard the conversation.come on you ex cityjet drivers that went to air Nelson...own up

eternity
28th Sep 2010, 07:47
I too look at the freshly badged flying school pilots running around with the stripes and bling attached and cringe.

But hell I did that too when I got my first uniform!!
I'd worked so hard, sacrificed so much and was very proud of my achievements.

And I know that almost every professional pilot reading this did the same when they first got their licence/first job etc....

Of course these days I dont like people looking at me so I also debling as soon as possible.

(I then also race home to read the FAM Veetail :) )

lk978
28th Sep 2010, 10:26
they probably forgot their watch & rayban's so rather than looking like a less superior pilot they choose to not wear uniform :O

Skynews
28th Sep 2010, 11:18
Very mature of you. :)

I'm not sure if I'm jealous or insecure, but I do cringe, not that you see it very often, pilots walking around major shopping centers with their complete uniform on, and I would certainly council my kids not to wear their uniform whilst off duty.
De-blinging would be acceptable but not walking around with all the gear on. It's a similar scenario to student pilots wearing epaulettes.
Why would you do it?

In a terminal, who cares? Paxing same, who cares, but wandering the streets, hhhmmm, not me.

rmcdonal
28th Sep 2010, 12:30
To and from work seems to be the acceptable level of uniform wearing outside of actually working (with allowances for fuel and small grocery shopping). I leave the shiny bits at work so I don't loose them. I do however wear the whole thing when picking up lunch or dinner in the terminal, It seems a bit silly to take it all off just to go upstairs for lunch.

Aussie
28th Sep 2010, 13:49
In my airline, we actually always Deadhead in Uniform.... just normal to do so... saves me from carrying an extra bag/wardrobe for the uniform not to crinkle, which is does anyway... throw some civies into the flight bag for the overnight and walla! Much easier then choppin and changin!

I have noticed wearing uniform is less regarded as bad here then in aus tho!

Keg
28th Sep 2010, 13:50
Driving home from work the other day I spotted a car broken down in the middle lane. I pulled into a side street and went and shoved the other car the 100m to the side street. I apologise to the uniform police for still having my wings and bars on when I did so and for not de-blinging prior to driving home. :rolleyes: I apologise to Qantas management for not having my hat or tie on. :E

I did however remember to pull the hi-viz vest out of the bag and put that on. OHS... tick! :ok:

Peter Fanelli
28th Sep 2010, 14:31
What makes me cringe is people who write "walla" in a public forum when they really mean voila.

Aussie
28th Sep 2010, 15:06
Hehe, sorry mate, my bad. Wont happen again! :ok:

Grogmonster
29th Sep 2010, 10:31
Guys I have to say who gives a RATS!!!!!! You guys that care about who wears a uniform and when remind me of the Wankers who think they are the Highway Patrol and drive at 40 in 60 zone and then accelerate as you try to pass them because how dare you!!! Get a a life !!!!!!!

Groggy

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Sep 2010, 10:51
There were lots of ......errrr.......wankers (?) walking around in pilot's uniforms where I was today!

Oh yeah, silly me! I was at YBBN! :E

Dr :8

ROH111
29th Sep 2010, 11:12
There is a REX pilot who I see on a fortnightly basis or so, who walks up King Street from near QCC, and then walks around the local shopping center up that way, gets a chilli chicken roll or some lube from the chemist then walks back down King St.... wearing not only the uniform, but the hat too. I mean for f*ck sake! There's being a ******, and then there is being this guy.

I'll get a photo next time.

FEELDG
29th Sep 2010, 11:27
I used to work in I.T and after finishing my shift, i'd take off my business tie, shirt and trousers and walk home in my undies so no one can identify that i work in the corporate world.

FFS! just cause a few wankers make it a wank factor, doesn't mean everyone else has to go out of their way to please others when going to/from work.

are truckies/factory workers (no generalisation) driving home in their high vis gear wankers for doing so?

but yes, there is a time and a place. if i was on the way to work in uniform and had to stop for fuel, would I be bothered taking all the shiny gear off just so i can refuel, then be bothered to put it all back on? hell no, time is money and i have better things to do.

i think ill head in to work tomorrow in my undies and put my uniform on after i get to work and after the boss has called me into his office.

Horatio Leafblower
29th Sep 2010, 11:53
I wonder how many of the Uniform Police are the same people that rue the reduced "status" of our profession? Being ashamed of the clothes you are wearing to work? What has the world come to? :confused:

It IS an Aussie thing though - there is an unhealthy scorn in the Hunter Valley for the miners who wear their hi-vis to work, especially from people who live and work in the real world and make 1/3 of what a bonehead miner makes :=

compressor stall
29th Sep 2010, 13:10
Seeing I usually don't really have a uniform and fly in civvies, should I wander to the shops starkers? :bored:

Worrals in the wilds
29th Sep 2010, 13:27
should I wander to the shops starkers?
Let us know how that works out for you. Actually I know at least one female GA pilot who sometimes flies topless to work on her tan (when solo). Presumably Qantas et al don't let you do that.

Oh yeah, silly me! I was at YBBN! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif
Out of interest, which runway did they give you?

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Sep 2010, 13:39
Out of interest, which runway did they give you?

Ahhhhh, Wildly Worral! It were the big long one - Rwy 01, it were, and a very nice landing it was too - but they probably don't let you into the LHS of the 737 until you can do that! :E

Dr :8

Worrals in the wilds
29th Sep 2010, 13:53
Good stuff!
I remember one bush pilot (in a 172 from memory) being given 01. He did a beautiful on-the-threshold short field landing, had to taxi to A7 to vacate (with a 777 bearing down on final) and then realised he had about 3 kms of taxiing before he got to the GA:sad:.
Mandatory readbacks consisted of 'no worries, thanks' or 'yeah, got that' (fortunately Tower saw the funny side). Heck of a nice guy who brightened the day considerably. I hope there's always some room for GA, provided they know how to fly.

Horatio Leafblower
29th Sep 2010, 21:08
...but Worrals you didn't tell us how many bars he was wearing :confused:

dodo whirlygig
29th Sep 2010, 22:07
hell no, time is money and i have better things to do.

your presence here would indicate otherwise ...................

HarleyD
30th Sep 2010, 00:17
There is but one thing worse than the wenkers who ponce about in shopping centres in their pilot gear.....

and that of course is......

The utterly pretentious and self righteuos wenkers who take it on themselves to make such a huge fecking deal about it. what business is it of yours what young blogs chosses to wear to the mall for lunch?

FFS! at least they wear their hats round the right way and pull their pants up so it covers their undies, and aren't ray bans nicer than those white plastic square framed sunnies??

Get a Life

Hmm.....at a disco seems a bit out of place, but hey, its his clothes and as long as he is not bringing his employer into disrepute (employer!?!? ha ha!) who gives anything more than a condescending chuckle.

The D&G way seems to be to offer scathing and distainful advice re everything, complan about T&C relentlessly, bag all employers and scream abuse and demand the death penalty for anyone who makes the disgraceful mistake of ever being observed wearing a white eppaulette shirt and navy slacks in public.

......which is what makes it all so entertaining, a bit like watching the lions and christians, except these are all christians tearing each other to bits.

HD

b_sta
30th Sep 2010, 00:22
Agreed. You don't see police officers, members of the defence force or firefighters being so f-cking embarrassed to wear the uniform of a career they've worked hard to get to. :ugh:

Worrals in the wilds
30th Sep 2010, 00:38
Horatio, workshirt and shorts if I recall correctly (sorry about the 01 crosswind drift :}). There was a float plane mob that used to wear pilots shirts (with bars), shorts and thongs, which always seemed like a good compromise. Commercial chopper pilots always seem pretty casual too, polo shirts etc.

I guess it's like guys who buy their first dinghy and immediately start sporting a full nautical wardrobe, anchor necklace and captain's hat. Kind of funny, but doesn't actually hurt anyone.

EBCAU
30th Sep 2010, 00:44
As Horatio LB said: "I wonder how many of the Uniform Police are the same people that rue the reduced "status" of our profession?"

Many years ago agricultural pilots were actually well paid relative to other sectors of industry. The equipment they flew was maintained to a pretty smart level also. Pilots generally presented themselves smartly, clean white overalls etc., and presented an air of professionalism (enough of the time anyway :E).
Gradually the standards declined as more pilot/operators got into the game and the remuneration went with it. Nowadays many truck drivers drive better, more expensive, rigs and appear tidier than many ag pilots in my opinion. They can sometimes earn as much, or more, than pilots. Those pilots always seem to moan the loudest about their reduced status. How can you expect to be treated as a professional if you don't present like one?

As for wearing uniforms outside of anything remotely connected to the work environment, it's usually obvious by the circumstances whether your looking at a w**ker or not. Going to work in uniform, stopping for gas, coffee, okay IMHO. A major grocery shop is probably pushing it a bit.

I don't think many people, who see someone obviously out of place, and a poseur in a uniform, condemn all pilots as such. I think they cringe and see that individual for what they really are. Just as we should. Poseurs really only damage themselves.

Exaviator
30th Sep 2010, 01:46
Any of you young chaps heard the expression, "Clothes maketh the man"? or maybe your mothers didn't tell you that, "Girls love a man in uniform"....:rolleyes:

das Uber Soldat
30th Sep 2010, 02:02
If you wear your uniform for anything other than activities at work, or travel to and from, you're a tosser.

I've seen it all. People wearing the full kit in bars in the city, students going to the international airport and doing their flight plans, in full kit so people see them. People wearing it to night clubs.

If i'm going to lunch, who cares I just leave it all on, i'm not overly concerned. But if I finish work at 6pm, and am meeting people to go out at 9pm, i'm changing.

eternity
30th Sep 2010, 04:32
Grogmonster - HarleyD

I'm proud of my porfession - Im proud of my co-workers, and Im proud of the company I work for.
But personally, I like to de-identify myself as a pilot as soon as possible because I dont like people looking at me.

On a different note, this thread WAS a light hearted and amusing time waster.
Thank you to people like Grogmonster and HarleyD for jumping on the express train to 'seriousville' and turning yet another thread into a "What is wrong with our professsion cry"

Eternity.

Skynews
30th Sep 2010, 04:44
Forget the uniform debate, just tell us where you work and how to apply, assuming you are completely sane of course Im proud of the company I work for.

HarleyD
30th Sep 2010, 05:17
Man, I really do have to get out more. the only place i really ever see pilots in kit is on airports (remember the original question?), and in the aero club bar after hours with epps and wings off.

The only time i see a pilot in the supermarket picking up unmentionables for the girlie on the way home, is when it's me and i don't care who thinks what about me not being completely incognito, I could put a bag over my head i suppose, but it hardly seems worth the effort, because I could not care less what some jumped up know all wenker thinks about my shopping attire. I don't even give a stuff who knows that i am buying 'super heavy overnight with wings'.... and a large block of chocolate. I can even buy cat food with a straight face, in fact a smile is even better.

If you want to go dancing at a night club and think you look cool in pilot togs, then i think that indicates a complete absence of dress sense, or even a sense of reality, however, are you a tosser? Some people just love to think so but they are prolly tossers in their own way, a complete obsession with making sure no-one can tell by looking at them that they are a pilot.

Mind you, they only have to open their mouth and there is little doubt how obsessed with that tiny little world they are, (whinge moan, crap boss, grizzle, crap pay, sook sook, crap planes, sob sob, and they make me wear pilot clothes and epaulettes and everything snarl, complain, I hate being identified as a pilot cos i have such a low opinion of them, grizzle, sook, except for ME of course, whinge sook moan, I could run the company, get a bunch of turbines, train the pilots better and fix the CASA if only anyone would listen, sook whinge, BASTARDS!!! I'll show them, useless boss, useless CP, friggin mongrol CASA can't even get a calender right, mumble mumble, in the meantime i will use my angry energy in pointless exercises,.... like persecuting 'pilots in public'..etc. etc. etc)

...yawn...you really think this is 'serious', eternity. I am glad that you de identify yourself. I believe that I am a member of a repected profession, or is it a perfeshun?..and am happy not to be identified as an industry associate of yours. wear your trakkies and hoodie all the time as far as i care.

HD

HarleyD
30th Sep 2010, 05:32
Getting bored with this thread now, is it time for a mnemonics or checklists thread yet?

HD

das Uber Soldat
30th Sep 2010, 08:01
read into it much? :rolleyes:

Its a pretty simple concept to understand mate. If you wear your uniform for the express purpose of bragging to the general public, you're a tosser.

It shouldn't be that difficult to understand. Just because I hold that opinion doesn't make me some industry hating pessimistic sad case. I love my job, and even the company I work for.

It means I just don't like tossers.

Capiche?

morno
30th Sep 2010, 08:18
I'm just on my way to work now, in my uniform, am I allowed to duck into the shops on the way to grab my tucker for tonight? :E

SgtBundy
30th Sep 2010, 09:26
Yes, as long as you are not trying to pick up apparently.

Wally Mk2
30th Sep 2010, 10:05
It bothers me none whom does what re uniforms but every now & then, but not often wearing ones work clobber gives me a smile by way of a funny comment.
Last one was a classic............Scene: Me in my Emerg Service suit grabbing some food for dinner that night while on my way to the 'office' Young mum with kid in tow oh about 5 years old. Kid says to mum out loud as mum & kid passes me in the isle look mummy there's a policeman:D
Bloody coppers impersonating us Aero Med drivers:E I love it one of the perks of the job:ok:

I think it's nice to see a pilot in his 'suit' being proud of whom/what he iseven if it is in public:ok:

Wmk2

Hugh Jarse
30th Sep 2010, 10:08
Laughing my arse off, Keg. I remember getting "BE SAFE'd" over at the Evil Empire for jay-walking a couple of years ago. And I was in civvies....

I remember a few years before you got your command, and when young 'Jarsephine' was of a more innocent age. And you know how kids repeat things they hear from adults ;)

I know I've told this story before, but it's entirely appropriate. We were up at Macquarie Centre doing a bit of shopping on an RDO. Well, we walk past Cordony Bros (chicks) hairdressers, when this brand new QF captain walks out in full regalia after a (an?) haircut into the centre. He looks left, looks right, puts his cap on and walks off into the carpark with a really spiffy swagger (a truly cringeworthy event).

Young 'Jarsephine' looks at me innocently, and says "Ooh, they really are wankers, daddy".

I had nothing to do with THAT one. I had words with Mrs. Jarse that evening :ugh:

I put my crap on my uniform before I go to work, and take it off when I get home. Mostly because my memory is failing fast, and if I get to work and go "****, I left my name tag at home" 2 things spring to mind:

1. How am I going to remember my name if I don't have my name tag, and;
2. It's too far to drive home and to try to remember where I put it when I took it off last time....

So I just try to remember to put it on my shirt before I jump in the car.

Now, if only I can remember where I left my Jepps.........

Ixixly
30th Sep 2010, 10:49
I see nothing wrong with stopping in to grab dinner on the way home, but what about if in the course of picking up ones tucker on the way home an opportunity to pickup presents itself?

vee tail
30th Sep 2010, 11:28
ENOUGH............... of wearing my bling to and from work coz I just grabbed some motion lotion from the servo and a member of the same sex just handed me his phone number. Never will I do it again.
I am sorry it will never happen again:{

Runaway Gun
30th Sep 2010, 11:34
Were you dressed in your Latex uniform again?

SgtBundy
30th Sep 2010, 11:55
what about if in the course of picking up ones tucker on the way home an opportunity to pickup presents itself?

Then, by regulations, you are only permitted to pick up in the form of "You've lost that loving feeling" Top Gun style - anything else is just not making appropriate use of the uniform.

vee tail
30th Sep 2010, 12:09
Nope no latex!! and I have a head like a deep sea racing turtle as well:uhoh:

But I did look up tosser in the dictionary as I have been a little concerned about the way poeple have been branding others on this thread and it read:

TOSSER- one who parks in the staff parking at an airport brandishing a JeT PILOT sticker and AVI8TOR sticker on the back window.:ugh:

Seriously some are aerosexuals.

Peter Fanelli
30th Sep 2010, 12:15
That's all I can say about the moderators allowing this crap thread to go on so long.

The Green Goblin
30th Sep 2010, 12:47
There used to be a Holden ute at directair with Pil8t as the number plate.

It gave me a chuckle every time I saw it.

Or the Vincint guys sipping lattes at the coffee club in Casuarina shopping centre donning the full uniform discussing varying idiosyncrasies of CAO 20.7.1b. If I didn't know 'em and know they were decent blokes, the camera would have been out for a happy snap.

Got to love it :ok:

Hot High Heavy
30th Sep 2010, 13:30
This must seriously be the only industry where people can crap on about the pros and cons of uniform in and out of work endlessly! I was talking to housemates about this earlier and they didn't even care, let alone would even give a second glance to someone in blue slacks, white shirt and some gold stuff on their shoulders. The only people it seems to concern is bloody pilots!!!

I'm not advocating running around in your bling outside work at all and i personally couldn't think of anything worse, but if little bloggsy wants to then good on him. I didn't realise this industry had so many moral crusaders / fashion police!

No wonder people think we're w ankers if this is the sort of rubbish that we debate and get so tied up in knots about. Surely there's bigger problems out there guys.........guys?

Sheesh :mad:

Lasiorhinus
30th Sep 2010, 14:02
Thread drift...

Theres a few cars driving around with VH-xxx number plates. I guess it's OK if the driver also owns the aircraft with the matching rego, but if its your three initials..:rolleyes:

Mind you, my initials are the rego of a little homebuilt taildragger...

Have also seen the number plate JET A1, and on the safety car at Avalon, NOTAM.

MyNameIsIs
30th Sep 2010, 14:03
Surely there's bigger problems out there guys.........guys?

Yes, there is.

WHICH cafe or shopping centre does one go to in order to pick up whilst wearing the bling?????

No point trying to show off in uniform if it aint going to work! :}

das Uber Soldat
30th Sep 2010, 18:03
There is a certain rex pilot who drives around with the number plates "340-CPT".

You know who you are.

tinpis
30th Sep 2010, 19:22
Someone up here drives a Getz with number plates PAWSH
Spelling would have to be a pilot?

Worrals in the wilds
30th Sep 2010, 20:33
There was a LAME at YBBN with 747FIX, which I thought was kind of cute. He also bought 747FLY (and I think 737,767 and 777) early in the days of personalised regos and made a very tidy profit onselling them.

Ixixly
1st Oct 2010, 02:38
Hahaha, GG, theres a ute parked out infront of Directair regularly with "8ilot"!! I'm trying to decide whether thats meant to be Pilot or Bi-Pilot... :E

John Citizen
1st Oct 2010, 04:02
To and from work seems to be the acceptable level of uniform wearing outside of actually working (with allowances for fuel and small grocery shopping).

In that case, would it be ok to stop off at an adult shop in full uniform on your way home from work ? :O :p :ok::eek:

Cutter796
1st Oct 2010, 04:38
Gotta love private plates at airports - fave is deffinately "CMEFLY", owned by a very proud chap down south.
On a serious note, had the pleasure of a visit to Katherine last week. Must be some red light special for pilots at the moment at woolies - 3 very blinged dudes in the space of 20 minutes, complete with ASICs. Just wanted to rush back to get my uniform on so I could hang out with them. No wonder the general public think we are all over paid, under worked Wayne Kerrs. Lets keep it real! :ugh:

Fuel-Off
1st Oct 2010, 06:20
Quote: "There is a certain rex pilot who drives around with the number plates "340-CPT".

You know who you are."

Krusty...busted!!! :E

HarleyD
1st Oct 2010, 06:44
Excellent thread drift there, Vanity plates,

best one i saw, while driving ex boss's wife's red Kompressor coupe, and pushing it a bit was a white 911 that rocketted past,

Plate IDGAF

Ha Ha, I just let him go, cos i do give one

HD

Teal
1st Oct 2010, 06:49
Not quite pilots but as far as I am concerned they can wear this uniform in any plane, airport or shopping centre...

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2789/airhostessfungurcom33.jpg