PDA

View Full Version : Flying into YBBN

blacknight
26th Sep 2010, 06:25
Can anyone advise if GA are welcome into YBBN. Is there tie down parking? Are fees prohibitive? Recently went to YBAF parked on the grass and got bogged (no visitor parking on hard stand) plus it's a long taxi ride to the CBD. Thanks in advance.

HappyBandit
26th Sep 2010, 06:28
Hope you have plenty of coin

blacknight
26th Sep 2010, 06:36
$4.68 a day parking + $16.51 landing fee + taxi to CBD $70 + no where to park on hard stand.

maverick22
26th Sep 2010, 06:40
I think you'll find that's still pretty cheap:{

short-field
26th Sep 2010, 07:02
Getting fuel is near impossible at YBBN unless you want to pay $$$ for the local FBO to arrange it - the tankers are generally too busy filling up the jets.

megle2
26th Sep 2010, 07:06
From 01st October next - $150 movement fee starts.
For you that will be $300 thanks unless you arrive / depart between about 10am and 3pm.
Neither airport is GA friendly but AF definitely will be cheaper.

blacknight
26th Sep 2010, 07:16
Enough said. Thanks everyone.

Fris B. Fairing
26th Sep 2010, 07:20
Neither airport is GA friendly

These days many airports aren't even aeroplane friendly.

HotPete
26th Sep 2010, 07:49
I used to park overnight at YBBN GA apron with the tail hanging over the grass, nosewheel on the bitumen, so I could hammer in three tie down stakes.

ForkTailedDrKiller
26th Sep 2010, 08:07
Can anyone advise if GA are welcome into YBBN. Is there tie down parking? Are fees prohibitive?

Hmmmm! I don't know that the information you are getting here is accurate - but then again, it is just a rumour network.

Are GA welcome at YBBN? Depends on what you definition is of welcome!

I have always found YBBN to be reasonably welcoming - more so that some other major city aerodromes - but some things are changing, if they haven't already.

Have a look on the Brisbane Airport Corp website for fees and charges. I have found YBBN to be not unreasonable - especially if you look at it in the light of landing at YBAF or YRED and then have to get a taxi to YBBN to get a rental car.

I think movements were $30, but I don't recall the parking charge. I have never had a problem finding parking with tie-downs, in the GA area. I understand that movement charges are soon to increase - to prohibitive levels if you want to come in peak traffic times.

The 10 am - 3 pm thing actually works well for me.

After an incident earlier this year, I think VFR flights are prohibited if converging runway ops are in progress - which I think they mostly are if conditions are VMC - so you need to be on an IFR flightplan.

I haven't been into YBBN since May - but if you are on an IFR plan and can mix it with the big boys without f**cking anyone about - then you shouldn't have any problems. The cost(?) - well, that is a personal thing as to what you are prepared to pay.

Personally I think Archerfield is a pain in the arse! Redcliffe has nowhere for itinerants to park!

As for fuel? Well, yes, if you want Avgas you have a bit of a problem. I arranged with the provider to be there at about 22:00 to get the Bo refuelled. Not a problem, but could be a bit inconvenient. The provider was helpful - but they do GA avgas at night cause they are busy doing Jet A through the day. Other times I have ducked over to Redcliffe to refuel prior to departing further afield, or topped off somewhere on my way in (Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast etc).

I would not hesitat to go in and out of Brisbane tomorrow if I had a need to.

PM me if you want to know more.

Dr :8

ForkTailedDrKiller
26th Sep 2010, 11:11
Since the Doctor was last there, this has also happened:

YBBN RWY14/32 Closure (http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/422626-ybbn-rwy14-32-closure.html)

Dunno!

I haven't had the Bo in there since May, but I was there with the Rat a couple of weeks ago. Saw a Dash 8 take off on 32??

Dr :8

blacknight
26th Sep 2010, 22:29
Thanks for the heads up everyone. Sounds like it might be on a definite "needs basis" . Yes I am IFR and don't mind playing in the big boys sand pit and I am usually flexible on ETA but the complication of fuel, fees and convenience might outweigh the benefits. Good to know the info in case I need BN as an ALT.:)

tail wheel
26th Sep 2010, 23:04
Plenty of parking for your car however.

At obscene cost at the Domestic or International Terminal! I always use Brisbane Airport Parking (?) outside the airport and their free shuttle bus to the terminal.

Jack Ranga
26th Sep 2010, 23:25
Yes, cosy little monopolies aren't they! Dropped Mrs Ranga off the other day at Tulla: 1hour and 10mins in the short term-$20 :cool:

RatsoreA
27th Sep 2010, 00:11
I flew a PA34 into Bris-vegas one fine sunny morning a few years ago, VFR, during CROPS, with no previously filed plan to drop someone off there, and they were the most helpful place I have ever flown into! Straight in approach, use of the high speed taxi way ('please keep the speed up and land deep, for separation purposes, 747 behind you - QF747 - caution wake turbulance precedding Piper Senecca!' - Brilliant sense of humour!), arranged me parking at the international teminal (yes, I am not kidding!) so my passenger was able to make her flight (bay 77 between Thai 777 and QF 747, and then gave me full length departure and wished me bon-voyage!

It's a shame that they seem to have gone the way of the every other major city airport...

BEACH KING
27th Sep 2010, 01:05
Bugger,Damn and blast!!

I usually fly into YBBN 3 or 4 times a year VFR, and find the ATC guys (and gals) very friendly and hastle free. usually request runway 14, and stay out of everyone's way. In regard to fuel..after shutting down, I ring the fuel guy and tell him how much I want, and leave the fuel card visible in the windscreen and the thing is fueled up on my return.
It certainly is a far more stress free environment than YBAF and Caboolture!

These new rules REALLY suck. GA Flying has now got more restrictive and DANGEROUS.

maverick22
27th Sep 2010, 01:29
Oh and don't forget to get your slot time when taxiing at Emerald, Rocky etc. now:rolleyes:

Jabawocky
27th Sep 2010, 01:47
Beachie and Forkie may just have to "Man Up" and take the hard road to YCAB :}

BEACH KING
27th Sep 2010, 02:32
Mine aren't big enough for YCAB!!
Gonna have to squeeze into YRED from now on.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
27th Sep 2010, 23:54
RWY 14/32 is available. It was closed daily for a while for PAPI installation but that is now completed (but not commisioned). Parking at the GA is first in best dressed except for the RFDS area in south west corner. Parking areas have been rejigged due to increasing number of larger aircraft requiring parking and some tiedowns now are not usable as they now infringe the taxilanes. If you are going to overnight it is best to not park along the southern edge as that is heavily utilised by freighters at night and it is advisable to keep your aircraft away from that. Unfortunately most of the other space is taken up at night by QFLink Q-400 overflow parking and Skytrans Dash-8 parking. Throw in a couple of large corporate jets and it's a little squeezy!

TSIO540
28th Sep 2010, 04:35
Oh and don't forget to get your slot time when taxiing at Emerald, Rocky etc. now

Don't slot times only apply if you begin your journey within 150nm of [YBBN]?

We fly out of EML for BN and don't need a slot time..

Ando1Bar
28th Sep 2010, 06:18
There's a fairly recent NOTAM which increased the departure radius:

ALL ACFT DEP FROM AD WITHIN 360NM RAD OF YBBN, PLANNED TO ARRIVE WITHIN THE PERIODS 2000-1200 UTC ARE REQUIRED TO OBTAIN A LANDING SLOT TIME.