PDA

View Full Version : Flight schools / SEVIS / Umbrella companies

NewbieFlyer
25th Sep 2010, 13:59
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on US flight schools that offer :-
- International student training
- NOT on the SEVIS list directly
- Claim to be a European company under an umbrella company that IS on the SEVIS list.

If working under an umbrella company is legal, and alll instructors are FAA registered, is there anything else which needs to be put in writing prior to enrolling in a training course?

A lot of these schools look for stage payments of 10k & 20k.... there doesn't seem to be a way around that, I would prefer not to handover that much at a time.... but what can you do?

Your advice is appreciated...

BigGrecian
25th Sep 2010, 14:28
You do ask a lot of questions NewbieFlyer. Wondering whether you've read the archive threads?

To answer your question it depends on how it is done, and it is also done in other industries where separate dub divisions market/sell the same or a variation of a product.

Sometimes schools do it because they know that some of the Europeans don't trust Americans so have a European Subsidiary which basically sells a European or even an FAA course but you will find that they are effectively selling the "umbrella" companies services ie it will be the umbrella companies aircraft and instructors.

Basically sub contracting work to a company with the relevant approvals.

You see this a lot in countries such as Italy and Scandanavia where students pay a company in Ireland, Italy and Scandinavia vast amounts of money, and then they subcontract the flying to a US school for less than half the cost.

PTC/FIT, Pelican and the school in FLL which went bust, Italians/OFT, EFT/Aviator....the list goes on.

Technically the student when in the USA is a student of the US school, with them providing the flight training, with another company managing it, and may even have administrative staff looking after their students interests.

Same occurs in Military training with civilian contractors.

Hope this clears it up.

NewbieFlyer
28th Sep 2010, 05:06
Thanks for the info BG!
I do spend a lot of time in the archived threads trying to find answers, but when I don't then I ask.
Forgive me if I ask a lot of questions.... i'm new to the game.
:ok: