PDA

View Full Version : Plane down on Surf Coast highway

I spy
25th Sep 2010, 04:51
Any news on this one?

From Yahoo:

"A plane has crashed onto a highway south of Geelong in Victoria.
The light aircraft was attempting to land at the Geelong airport just after 11am (AEST) when it crashed onto the Surf Coast Highway.
Two people have been taken to hospital. They are believed to have minor injuries.
The highway is closed and power is out in the area after the plane brought down electricity lines."

Good to see only minor injuries :D

VH-XXX
25th Sep 2010, 06:11
I've been waiting for the day that someone takes out that powerline.

I usuall limit ops on that runway to a very strong westerly only.

Won't be a problem for much longer though!

BULLDOG 248
25th Sep 2010, 08:56
Was it a Grovedale Plane???? Powerlines have been there for 50 years XXX. The runway was only 500Mts long but extended to 1300Mts 20 years ago. Longer than the N/S from memory??? No news of this in NSW.

VH-XXX
25th Sep 2010, 09:24
Powerlines have been there for 50 years XXX

That's right.

They are particularly bad though as in they are almost on the threshold. There would rarely be a day when you *really* need to use that runway.

With the airport closing shortly it won't prove to be a problem for much longer.

Picture from the Geelong advertiser. Lucky to get out of that one!

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/09/25/PLANE-CRASH-AT-GROVEDALE-wi.jpg

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/09/25/PlaneCrash01.jpg

BULLDOG 248
25th Sep 2010, 10:10
XXX, I maybe wrong, but I thought the theshold was displaced to near the N/S runway because of the powerlines?????It been 5 years since I've landed at Grovedale though.....Nice photos.

Hasherucf
25th Sep 2010, 11:46
Somehow I think that is not going to buff out. Wondering my the firefighters are standing around while there is still flames.

VH-XXX
25th Sep 2010, 12:24
It was an extremely hot fire by the looks of it.

Jabawocky
25th Sep 2010, 12:25
Somehow I think that is not going to buff out. Wondering my the firefighters are standing around while there is still flames.

Looks like a Rockwell of some sort.........they probably knew it was in the owners best interests :E

Capn Bloggs
25th Sep 2010, 13:41
Well jaba, at least it was a real aircraft, made of metal, not like that plastic retard vehicle you fly! :}

VH-XXX
25th Sep 2010, 13:46
Plastic RV? Do explain!

Capn Bloggs
25th Sep 2010, 14:01
Well, they look plastic! :ouch:

Sunfish
25th Sep 2010, 20:52
Hopefully not CSH?

VH-XXX
25th Sep 2010, 22:20
Certainly looks like CSH sunny, rego looks to start with a C and colour scheme is identical.

CSH is a jinxed rego, used to belong to a Bell 206 that was written off dear Dunnedo with one fatality.

VH-CSH - Private Rockwell Commander 114 Aircraft @ Airplane-Pictures.net (http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image18714.html)

PPRuNeUser0163
25th Sep 2010, 23:13
It is CSH guys..
confirmed... poor old rockwell :\

VH-XXX
26th Sep 2010, 10:31
Another "notch" on the board for RVAC.

Hot High Heavy
27th Sep 2010, 08:56
This aircraft is cross hired by RVAC as well as other people so it may not neccesarily be another "RVAC notch". I think a businessman owns the machine and uses it for work related runs.

No info at this stage though so not going to assume :ok:

VH-XXX
27th Sep 2010, 21:55
There IS enough info at this stage and it IS a notch for RVAC, otherwise I wouldn't have written that. Endorsed 3 weeks ago...

Sunfish
28th Sep 2010, 04:43
Endorsed for Rockwell, but NOT endorsed for Geelong.

ERSA says displaced threshold on 27 for power lines.

Wanderin_dave
28th Sep 2010, 04:56
You need endorsements for individual airfields now??!! :ugh:

CASA must be making a mint from processing all that :cool:

Jeez, it's not like Geelong is an aircraft carrier, it's pretty straight forward. It does say a lot about RVAC's confidence in the quality of their own training.

Sunfish
28th Sep 2010, 07:00
The rules and regulations make it very clear that it is your responsibility to satisfy yourself about the condition of the strip or ALA you plan to use.

I fail to see how anything RVAC may have done (or omitted to do) could possibly have changed this central fact.

"Endorsed" for Geelong is my flippant comment, but there are one or Two strips around where I personally took an instructor along the first time I used them.

For example, look for trucks on approach to Phillip Island.

VH-XXX
28th Sep 2010, 07:03
For example, look for trucks on approach to Phillip Island.

Now you've just taken it one step too far.

Avoiding trucks on final at Phillip Island? Seriously :rolleyes:

Next thing you'll be talking about avoiding shrubbery on approach to 17R at Moorabbin and 4WD's on approach to 17 at Tyabb.

Stationair8
28th Sep 2010, 08:00
Sunfish, best keep an eye out for Harold Holt and the Russian submarine as well!

Jethro Gibbs
28th Sep 2010, 09:27
Interesting that all the experts here have not noticed that in photos of this incident that the markers on the power lines laying on the road were so old and faded that they were 95% dirty white and 5% faded faded orange making them really easy to see one would think and i would bet the faded orange side would have been facing the ground.:ok:this may not be the cause but could not have helped.

Sunfish
28th Sep 2010, 18:22
Phillip Island?

Google Earth - street view, 1058 Phillip Island road, or do all of you land way in?

Jack Ranga
30th Sep 2010, 01:07
Pilots judgement as to how far in to displace your threshold, you'd have to be a bit of a d!ckhead to hit a truck on final would you not?

j3pipercub
30th Sep 2010, 01:21
Sunfish,

If you require an Instructor to assist you with every little decision making process that is a little outside the box, perhaps you should stay on the ground.

j3

7DOD
30th Sep 2010, 02:02
Sunfish

I notice the amounts of posts, lots of strange things come from your mouth about time you stood back, sit down and take a long hard decision. Too much verbal c**p is entering.

j3pipercub I agree

Sunfish
30th Sep 2010, 06:35
I thought everybody knew it was for the safety of the truck?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:LG4dwrD8zatN-M:http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/davidhstocker/India/OverloadedTruck.jpg&t=1

Ned Parsnip
30th Sep 2010, 06:58
KGB9abX_02M

.................................:eek:

Oakape
30th Sep 2010, 07:43
I bet that one gave him a thrill! Truck driver as well!