PDA

View Full Version : BFTS in Ponca City

ACelticgirl2
23rd Sep 2010, 06:53
Forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong area. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who remembers anyone from the BFTS in Ponca City?
My uncle did his training there. I know the chances are slim since it was so long ago but I thought I would give it a try.

astir 8
23rd Sep 2010, 07:46
Hiya

have a look in the PPRune "Military Aircrew" forum, at the thread entitled "Gaining an RAF Pilots Brevet in WWII"- there are lots of references to training in the USA including Ponca. I'm sure a lot of the readers there could assist you.

Added later

First reference to Ponca is by Cliffnemo on page 3 of that thread, but there is then lots more.

cliffnemo
23rd Sep 2010, 09:50
Sorry this will be very disjointed as I am a bit short of time, and will add bits of info below as I fird them

I am the cliffnemo referred to above.I was on 15 course at Darr School of Aeronatics. Ponca City.
Just enter cliffnemo in the search box above, then fire away with your questions. You will certainly be in 'the right field, and will be welcomed by a very friendly bunch of pruners.
You can also email me through pprune for info, google 6.B.F.TS , google the R.A.F IN Oklahoma ( a book by Paula Dennison.) or contact Mike Igglesden of the 6 B.F.S Association U.k.
CLIFF/
P.S to P.M me click on cliffnemo top left----------- cliffnemo<-------------------------------------------click

ThenView Public Profile
Send a private message to cliffnemo
Send email to cliffnemo <----------------------------click
Find More Posts by cliffnemo
Add cliffnemo to Your Buddy List

RAFRA - OTUs/LFS/HCU/EFTS/BFTS/MUs etc
Ponca City: 6 BFTS Association Mike Igglesden, 3 Stoneyfields, Farnham, ... 32 BFTS Alan Stredwick, 7 Ringwood Close, Eastbourne, East Sussex BN22 8UH [INT ...
RAFRA - OTUs/LFS/HCU/EFTS/BFTS/MUs etc (http://www.associations.rafinfo.org.uk/otus.htm) - Cached - Similar
More random thoughts.
There was a Texan on our course. I may have a full list of all students at Ponca, some where , but sure Mike Igglesden has, and Puala Dennison who still lives in Ponca.
She is also on Facebook.
Skype Ponca Prairie Lady
Website Paula K. Denson | Ponca Prairie Press (http://www.pkdenson.com)
Facebook Profile facebook.com/paulaponca
Facebook Profile facebook.com/paulaponca
Trained in Oklahoma During World War II
The Royal Air Force in Oklahoma
Details

* The story of the RAF's Oklahoma history accompanied by hundreds of photograps by Paula K Dennison
FROM TODAY'S FACE BOOK.
Paula K. Dennison Number 1 British Flying Training School - No. 1 BFTS: My husband and I thought the entire fly-in weekend was wonderful. It was so nice to meet so many people sharing the same interest. I, too, took a similar photo of the beautifully tended graves. Paula Denson, author of The Royal Air Force in Oklahoma.
7 hours ago · Comment · Like

ACelticgirl2
23rd Sep 2010, 16:30
Thank you for the replies :)

I actually got an e-mail from Paula and she told me that my uncle was in course 5 and is mentioned in her book.
I also got a picture of his grave from one of the CWGC sites. I feel bad that I don't get home as much as I would like.
He is buried in Bannockburn Cemetery. Luckily it is one of the cemeteries that is maintained. He was killed during a training flight in England as was his crew.
Sorry, I forgot to mention he is was from Scotland. It's just that I live in Texas now.
I do a have some old photographs of him, one of which he is sitting in his plane in Ponca City.
He was such a handsome devil. I really wish I had been able to know him.
My other uncle was in the UXB and was killed when one exploded.

ACelticgirl2
23rd Sep 2010, 16:41
Oh and I can't seem to find a website or e-mail address to contact Mr Igglesden.

cliffnemo
24th Sep 2010, 11:18
User CP FAQ Calendar (This is on top orange line)

click on C.P user panel . Top left.

Control Panel <----- click on this
EMAIL
List Messages
Send New Message <-------------click on this
Track Messages

Enter mike igglesden
If this fails ask me again.
Cliff.

HERBYBOY
6th Jan 2011, 10:38
I was looking at my fathers log book and noted his first flight at PONCA CITY was entered 1943 Jan 21 Type PT17 No B214 1st pilot Mr Udovc. His last flights was June 25, left for N08 S.F.TS. LAKEBURN MONCTON CANADA. Final WW 2 posting was 357 Squadron Jessore Bengal Flying Liberator mk 6 His name was Vic Surrage P/Officer. I hope this may be of interest