PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of EK

new tomcat
23rd Sep 2010, 01:59
For those Americans or those millions more with American passports, green cards, right to work etc looking to get out of Emirates there are three US airlines that are going to hire this year or early next year.
JB, Air Tran and Delta are all ramping up hiring with the economy picking up. If you want to get out of the sand you should look into applying to those airlines. We all know you will have to start at the bottom of the list (no DECs allowed in the US) but your life will improve immensly as we all know.
With what Emirates has done to its employees I would guess that many of you will be applying.
Good luck to all of you.

ironbutt57
23rd Sep 2010, 04:49
Air Tran vs EK?? apples to oranges mate, :confused:

jackbauer
23rd Sep 2010, 05:23
For the record new tomcat does NOT work for EK so buyer beware. Going back to a country in recession and an airline that will furlough you (again) in a few years may not be a great idea.

PappyJ
23rd Sep 2010, 05:32
Hmmm, let's see.

Live and work with civil protections and rights in a place where you have that little thing called FREEDOM (in all respects), but risk the possibly of Furlough.

Or, stay in the Middle East and enjoy all the human rights it has to offer.

Tough choice. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

poina
23rd Sep 2010, 05:35
Hmmmm.

Of the 3 you mentioned, only DL would be worth the move.

Wizofoz
23rd Sep 2010, 06:27
where you have that little thing called FREEDOM (in all respects), [/B]

Hmmm......

Went to Disney over the summer.

Playing in the pool with my kids, put my young daughter on my shoulders-

"Sir, you'll have to stop that or you'll have to leave the pool" says some spotty teenage lifeguard.

There are different kinds of freedom. In the relentless pursuit of some kinds (such as the freedom to sue) the US, and other Western countries have curtailed a lot of OTHER types of freedom (like the freedom to make an Adult assesment of risk).

White Knight
23rd Sep 2010, 07:00
stay in the Middle East and enjoy all the human rights it has to offer.

If you get on with your own life you'll never have an issue:ugh::ugh:

And don't get me started on the freedoms in Orstralia:eek: Talk about a 'nanny state':{:{ Probably worse than most of the 'west'.....

burnable gomi
23rd Sep 2010, 07:58
Hmmmm.

Of the 3 you mentioned, only DL would be worth the move.

Why? Both AirTran and JB start out at a lower salary than EK but top out higher. Not to mention proper rosters and lots of days off. Both seem to have similar times to command (4-6 years).

typhoonpilot
23rd Sep 2010, 08:53
Why? Both AirTran and JB start out at a lower salary than EK but top out higher. Not to mention proper rosters and lots of days off. Both seem to have similar times to command (4-6 years).

Well, I would agree with the first part. Air Tran and JetBlue start at about 1/3 of the EK pay after tax. They do not top out higher on an after tax basis though, not even close.

There have been at least two people who have left Air Tran to join EK in the last year. More before that, captains included ( who came as F.O.s). So maybe it isn't all rose petals at the Tranny either.

First Officers at EK might be able to justify the move if they are young enough to make it up in the long slog to captain at the U.S. carriers, but financially it is a bad move for captains at EK. It would have to be a lifestyle/quality of life choice because it certainly doesn't make sense financially.

About 7 years ago I got an invite to Southwest for an interview right at the time I was doing my upgrade at EK. I did sit down and run the numbers for my remaining 20+ years. It came as a wash financially based on an 8 year upgrade at SWA and based on the Captain pay at EK at that time. As it turns out the upgrades at SWA will run way beyond 8 years and the pay at EK went up over 30% from my original computation so the move would have been bad financially. Lifestyle wise it would not have been good for me, but it may work for others.

.....and before I get slagged off for writing this, it isn't meant as a ringing endorsement of EK. I would love to be able to live in my home country, but the jobs there just don't pay enough or give enough time off to justify the move. Right now the best job I could get would be between a $75,000 and $100,000/year pay cut on an after tax basis.

Typhoonpilot

ernestkgann
23rd Sep 2010, 10:19
I live in Australia Mr W Knight and it's ok. It's good that you enjoy Dubai and I enjoy living here, makes us both happy. Enjoy retirement.

Fred Garvin M.P.
23rd Sep 2010, 13:22
I'm not endorsing EK, but let's also be clear on the facts. Airtran and JB are NOT four to six year upgrades. Delta will only be hiring around 200 so they say. Out of those, Mesaba and Compass will take up at least 50% of the class with flowthrough agreements. Delta is straight reserve for at least two years right now, in junior domiciles (aka New York). Tough commute. Tougher yet with crash pad costs etc. If you're a single FO, might be your option. Married with kids, might be tough to take the paycut that comes with it, not to mention a potential commute, if you truly want to "live at your home".

EK380
23rd Sep 2010, 13:47
Guys :ugh:,

Quote: Salaries topping out higher...!?

After how many years please?

I realize EK is far from perfect, but please check your facts...

After less than 10y at EK, I'm now +170000USD /year. This does not include housing, school fees, provident fund...

Uncle Wiggily
23rd Sep 2010, 13:48
Relative of mine got called for an interview with Virgin America. Based out of San Francisco....so it may be a bit too liberal for guys who have become accustomed to the UAE.

kiwi
23rd Sep 2010, 15:05
EK380 says "After less than 10y at EK, I'm now +170000USD /year. This does not include housing, school fees, provident fund..."

Think that's an exageration from my calculations. I've been here appreciably longer and don't get that from salary and variable pay.

Marooned
23rd Sep 2010, 15:48
EK380, you either hide behind a desk talking about flying but rarely do it, thinking of new FCIs to push your ex-colleagues to the limits for your 'bonus' or, even simpler, full of :mad:

donpizmeov
23rd Sep 2010, 15:56
Hate to say it chaps but EK380s numbers work out to Aed52133 per month (exchange rate of 3.68 right?). I have been here near a decade and with training pay make a bit more than that, not including education, housing, ERP etc. No office work for me i am afraid.
Too bad they stole the overtime off us as i seem to be donating between Aed6000 to Aed7000 per to the company because of that travesty.

Min days off though, and most of those are stand alone and three days off in a row is very rare. What price do you put on life style?

the don

kiwi
23rd Sep 2010, 16:26
Don't forget you don't get anything but base pay for one and a half months while you're on leave. Admittedly I didn't sign on for the training treadmill but EK380 didn't say his $170,000 included training pay.

Oblaaspop
23rd Sep 2010, 20:20
Flynhigh,

Good money for hard work at Jet Blue clearly, however, what do you get paid for vacation or if you were to break your leg and couldn't work for a month or 2?

Just a thought.......... seems to me that if you don't fly, you don't earn much in the States. ie. very little or no 'BASIC' pay. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, don't forget to apply taxation (in a backwards sense) to the calculations and housing allowance.

Much as I hate to admit it on a public forum, our package (as a whole) is pretty good (considerably better in many cases than most US carriers), even if the lifestyle and work currently sucks!

Just to add some facts and figures for a single year 1 EK F/O who has chosen to live outside company accomodation:

Basic: 23,000dhs or $6300 usd (paid whether at work or not!)
Flight Pay for 85 hrs @ 45 dhs/hr: 3800 dhs or $1050
Housing allowance (must be taken into account): 12800 dhs/month or $3500

Total monthly: 39,600 dhs or $10,850
Now backwards tax at 30% (remember this is a tax free package): $14,100

Not a bad package for a year 1 F/O I would say??

Before anyone mentions provident fund contributions, that money will always be yours tax free when you decide to leave and if that happens to be after 7 years, you can also take all of the companies 12% contribution (tax free).

Please don't start posting stuff about free society this, sh1t sandy hot dustbowl that........ The above is in response to the question of pay and package.

Flynhigh, I suggest your buddies actually have a closer look at just how poor they are compared to you..... they (and you) could be in for a shock!! :hmm:

GlueBall
23rd Sep 2010, 22:32
Interesting read.

No doubt that newcomers at JB, SW, FL, DL would be paying significant taxes while working their balls off on short hops in the right seat for many years to come.

And then Bingo: It's furlough time, . . . just when you bought that new house and you're into the 2ND marriage with a high maintenance, back-talking California bimbo. :{

Fred Garvin M.P.
23rd Sep 2010, 23:15
Flynhigh,
Just to keep comparing apples to oranges, are you commuting? If so, where are you commuting to and how many actual days at home (not days off) are you getting realistically? Leaving the house at 5 a.m. to commute to work is not really a day at home. If not commuting, how long to get to a line holder in your base? When is upgrade available? How many is JB hiring this year and how long are new hires on reserve?

Are new hires expecting the same type of conditions that you had when you were a new hire (expansion, etc.).

And don't take that the wrong way either. I still think jetblue is a good company. I've ridden on you guys many times and am always thankful for the ride.

Obviously a new hire today at EK is not the same as it was five years ago. U.S. guys have a different taste of it than a lot of the others, simply from the fact that U.S. guys aren't used to living outside the borders. It's common culture for almost everyone else, but not in the U.S. Ask the Varig guys how they feel here. Upgrade on the Boeing is still just under four years. I'm not saying EK is great, but neither is the U.S. Prior to 9/11, the market was slowly failing with the dot com industries. 9/11 accelerated that. Furloughs, bankrupcty, whipsaw crap from one carrier to another, buying a bs "shadow" carrier to whipsaw, mergers, age 65, reducing medical insurance, paycuts, etc etc etc. U.S carriers are not Pan Am of old. They suck. Ride home on them, then ride home on EK, and you can see the difference. Furloughs with four kids sucks. Yes, Dubai is different and at times sucks. Sitting straight reserve in Detroit next to the Fat Boy restaurant with no end in sight sucked too (although the wheat and rye was great). Make it what it is. Be honest with yourselves. I don't like management here but Ed is gone. The new guy hasn't proven himself, whatever. But look at NWA and Delta management. You can spout contracts, ****, those guys violated contracts left and right and took years to settle as well. If NWA/Delta was in the interest to violate the contract, they did it and settled in arbitration. They don't honor contracts any more than EK does. The HUGE difference here is I don't worry about a paycheck here and I put the kids in bed a hell of a lot more at night than I ever did on reserve at Redtail. Apples to oranges. Make your own decision but make it smart. Can't handle being an expat, okay, fair enough and I respect that. It's not the U.S. Anyone coming here thinking it's the U.S. did not do their due diligence.

varigflier
24th Sep 2010, 02:17
So how do the Varig guys feel there? Are there many ex Varig at EK?

flynhigh
24th Sep 2010, 02:25
Guys
Please understand...I never said EK is a bad place to work:=... and jetblue is great...far from that....here at JB we are small LCC:ugh: where EK is Global airline.I been to DXB and I think its fun town. All I was trying to say was what I was told by few friends... some in the left seat and some in the right...As I said I don't work there so I don't know... hiring...again not as many as EK...this year around 100 and they are calling for 220 next yr... yes I commuting short flight DC area to NY....Yes I am lucky to hold this type trip I bid I start late and finish at 6 am where I will be home on my last day.....SLEEP:\ here is the type a trip I do

199 JFK-LAS 2120 2338 0518 0518 0539 0628
778 LAS-BOS 2350 0739 0449 0449
497 BOS-SEA 2048 2331 0543 0543 0606 0641 82 498 SEA-JFK 2144 0541 0457
D-END: 0556L T.A.F.B.: 8131 TRIP RIG: 0129
Total: 2047 0000 2322 2440

So yes I am home almost 20 days a month...Again thats just me not all 2200 pilots at jetblue....Upgrade was around 2 yrs on the BUS...Thats few yrs ago and 1 yr on the E190...Now if you were hired today.... I think 10 yrs would be a good guess...New hired will be on RSV 3 to 4 yrs...so again you see JB is not great for all but good for some just like EK, and EY or QR..Please understand I didn't mean to disrespect anybody at EK...if it came out that way I am really sorry and maybe I should remove my post.... Now Here is the best part.... all this good will end when AA come in buy us:{...than trust me I will put my application in with EK and if I am lucky maybe get a call.

You guys are always welcome to ride us....if the gate agents give you a hard time just find one of us and we will find a way to get you on....Thanks for riding on us..

Be safe.:ok:

EK380
24th Sep 2010, 05:51
Before you guys get too much excited....
Quote: "After less than 10y at EK, I'm now +170000USD /year"

No deskjob, thank you!

Same deal as donpizmeov. TRI/TRE. So money includes training package.

BTW, excellent post Fred Garvin M.P. !

Fred Garvin M.P.
24th Sep 2010, 06:25
Flynhigh,
Don't remove your post. It's good info. I don't think anyone took at is disrespecting EK at all. At least I didn't. It's simply a conversation here and you were posting your experience/info at JB. Just a conversation man. No need to apologize or remove your posts at all.

woodja51
24th Sep 2010, 06:29
I have to agree with the assessment of the MP's post by 380 - nicely balanced and thoughtful!

I am not a TRE/TRI with EK - just been here 11 years on the line but I can say - and I get the housing allowance - that gross annual salary was over 800 000 dhs last year, not including per diems and provident fund contributions...so the other guys assessment is correct at well over 200 k USD per year as a package.
yes not much overtime paid anymore, and I dont have to send kids to school here so my cost base is a bit lower.

I have bad Dubai days too - and that is hard to handle sometimes but the package is as the other guys have discussed - and tax free for us Ozzies ( well at the moment! )

I was out in the desert with a few other guys the other day dirt bike riding and honestly it was hard not to smile with your own personal sand pit to play in, heat can be a killer and definitely not in Kansas any more Toto... but it is what you make of it and home is not always better overall.

Some more time off in a row with a return to T+Cs like before would be nice... but I dream?

Of course QATAR have just announced that they intend to recruit pilots and base them in North America ( DC) and Asia to reduce the cost base to recruit and retain them.

This came from Ali Bakar the CEO and his words were :" this will be game over for our competitors recruitment programme' unless they copy the model. We can increase productivity, reduce total employee costs and make everyone stay in the outfit longer. It is far cheaper to retain than train pilots. The narrow perception that airlines keep pilots locally based to retain salaries within the local economy is flawed and non-sensical. It is just that no one sees it yet but us" Reuters /AAP...

WJA

Gillegan
24th Sep 2010, 06:52
Of course QATAR have just announced that they intend to recruit pilots and base them in North America ( DC) and Asia to reduce the cost base to recruit and retain them.

This came from Ali Bakar the CEO and his words were :" this will be game over for our competitors recruitment programme' unless they copy the model. We can increase productivity, reduce total employee costs and make everyone stay in the outfit longer. It is far cheaper to retain than train pilots. The narrow perception that airlines keep pilots locally based to retain salaries within the local economy is flawed and non-sensical. It is just that no one sees it yet but us" Reuters /AAP...

Can you provide a link for this quote. I've looked but have been unable to find it. If true, I do think he's correct in that it will give them a recruiting advantage over the other Gulf carriers.

BigGeordie
24th Sep 2010, 08:45
The first Gulf carrier to offer basing will solve it's recruitment problems straight away and if that quote is correct it is the most sensible thing to come out of Qatar management for years.

The "logic" of trying to keep all the money paid to expats in the local economy is flawed but I'm a bit surprised Qatar blinked first. I can't find the quote either mind, and this is a rumour network!

woodja51
24th Sep 2010, 09:46
Geordie hit it on the head re runour net... but....."if we build it then they will come"

amazing how a bit of soft rollout can get things actually to happenin what is a dog eat dog market.

Disinformation is a powerful thing ya know..

WJA

Trader
24th Sep 2010, 12:09
For Qater basings is win-win. The employee wins 'cause he gets his base.

Qatar wins because they reduce costs and basing a pilot is cheaper. The problem is pilots think they are going to get it all. I've had this discussion many times in the flight deck with guys assuming a basing will be paid and operated in the same way as the 'local' contract.

My guess is a 'basing' will operate something like this:

It will not be a true basing. The contract and terms will still be based in Doha (or whatever city). The rosters will just be built beginning and ending in the 'base'. You will still be paid in local currency into a local bank account. No school allowance if the country of basing provides free schooling. No medical. No housing. Just base pay and flying pay. You can request days off only within the seniority of your base. The flying will be based on co. requirements (ie. you'll fly DC-Doha, overnight, do some night turns or whatever they can fit in, then fly back).

This is how they will save money--all those extras, housing, schooling etc will no longer be paid. They certainly won't pay MORE to cover taxes as so many seem to believe. At least my best guess is they will not!

CAVnotOK
24th Sep 2010, 12:49
Would still like to take a look at the link to the actual quote if anyone can post it please. Haven't been able to find it online yet, but haven't looked terribly hard either.

Cav.

JCUERVO
24th Sep 2010, 22:40
Looking from the inside out at QTR any idea of outstation basing seems about as possible as Ahmadinejad being invited for afternoon Tea with Mr. and Ms. Dick Cheney...

Would love to believe it, BUT have to see the actual press release, if anyone can dig it up...

JammedStab
24th Sep 2010, 23:24
Of course there is the idea of living in the country you want to live in, raising your family where you want to raise them, etc. For some thet means more than dollars.

Flyer1015
25th Sep 2010, 04:41
Is this post a joke? Americans leaving EK just because Delta, Airtran, and JetBlue are hiring? Lets get real. Delta announced hiring 300, lots of those will be Compass and XJ flowthroughs. Rest are military and civilians from regionals and all other walks of life. They have 6000+ applications of heavily qualified people, and MANY of those with internal recs. Airtran? Hiring 160, and thousands of apps in already. JetBlue, a handful this year, 100 or so, and again, thousands of apps to the point they closed their pilot window online!

There are no jobs here, only a trickle, and for those few jobs, there are thousands of applicants already. You'd be willing to leave EK to come back to the US, only to face a furlough when this economy here goes double dip recession? Stay away. I thought people left to go to EK because they are just tired and fed up with what has happened to this airline industry in the US. Man if EK interviewed and hired me, I'd never look back. (And yes, I've already been to Dubai).

Instant Hooligan
25th Sep 2010, 07:40
How ironic. Somebody telling us to stay away from the US while many EK drivers tell people to stay away from EK.

Flyer it seems "you know better" than the EK drivers cause you've already been to Dubai.

You're in for a shock when you live here rather than visit, and I can tolerate the place.

AQIS Boigu
25th Sep 2010, 15:52
Gents,

Greetings from HKG - I am not saying that this proposed basings deal won't work but I think QR will be in for a shocker...

An airline with a green tail based in HKG has had people rostered and based out of Oz, NZ, Canada, the US and Europe since about 1995; only in 2001 when we had some serious labour disputes as well as subsequent lawsuits in the pilots' respective countries woke up the tax authorities and ordered our airline to "on-shore" their pilots in order to comply with tax laws. Now since last year every pilot in our airline who is not based in HKG is employed at the airline's respective onshoring company with a local (ie. Canadian, Aussie and so on) contract and pay transfered into a local (ie. Canadian, Aussie and so on) bank account. This of course means that the formation of unions, proper pay negotiations, respect for labour laws and basic human rights and so on must/can take place at the place of employment and the airline just can't ignore that.

Reading these forums I just cannot simply believe that an Arab airline is going to put up with Western labour laws and their associated effects on their operation so they can base their pilots and save money - unless the cost savings are so substantial.

Of course I wish every QR pilot that this will work but I really wanna see it first...

AB

For Qater basings is win-win. The employee wins 'cause he gets his base.

Qatar wins because they reduce costs and basing a pilot is cheaper. The problem is pilots think they are going to get it all. I've had this discussion many times in the flight deck with guys assuming a basing will be paid and operated in the same way as the 'local' contract.

My guess is a 'basing' will operate something like this:

It will not be a true basing. The contract and terms will still be based in Doha (or whatever city). The rosters will just be built beginning and ending in the 'base'. You will still be paid in local currency into a local bank account. No school allowance if the country of basing provides free schooling. No medical. No housing. Just base pay and flying pay. You can request days off only within the seniority of your base. The flying will be based on co. requirements (ie. you'll fly DC-Doha, overnight, do some night turns or whatever they can fit in, then fly back).

This is how they will save money--all those extras, housing, schooling etc will no longer be paid. They certainly won't pay MORE to cover taxes as so many seem to believe. At least my best guess is they will not!

Royalblue
25th Sep 2010, 16:23
Since we talk about Qatar let me link you somenthing:

Qatar earmarks $5bln for Greek investments - The Mainichi Daily News (http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/business/news/20100925p2g00m0bu029000c.html)

There might be an actual base in Athens...

Flyer1015
25th Sep 2010, 21:31
How ironic. Somebody telling us to stay away from the US while many EK drivers tell people to stay away from EK.

Flyer it seems "you know better" than the EK drivers cause you've already been to Dubai.

You're in for a shock when you live here rather than visit, and I can tolerate the place.
I don't "know better" than EK drivers. But I'm just saying you'd be coming back to a sinking ship, which is what the US airline industry has been since 9/11. Take a look at some of the payrates at places like US Airways, and it will shock you. It isn't the same anymore.

And on a side note, I've lived in Lahore for 8 years. Dubai is paradise in comparison. So yes, I can live in Dubai, and I can tolerate it better than you might imagine.

nolimitholdem
25th Sep 2010, 21:35
This of course means that the formation of unions, proper pay negotiations, respect for labour laws and basic human rights and so on must/can take place at the place of employment and the airline just can't ignore that.

Reading these forums I just cannot simply believe that an Arab airline is going to put up with Western labour laws and their associated effects on their operation so they can base their pilots and save money - unless the cost savings are so substantial.

WHAT?! Are you suggesting Emirates et al are using despotic regimes with non-existent labour protections and lax regulatory oversight as competitive advantages?!

WHO KNEW?!

:yuk:

casablanca
26th Sep 2010, 09:10
Just my opinion.... but Delta new hires may be waiting 15+ years for an upgrade. I dont know what they are predicting.

Netset
26th Sep 2010, 09:19
Are pilots still resigning from Emirates?

Fart Master
26th Sep 2010, 13:08
Approx 6 per month leaving or getting fired. (Based on the seniority list)

Fred Garvin M.P.
27th Sep 2010, 15:13
Whoever was posting about Airtran, I imagine those open positions will dry up very quickly now that Southwest is buying them. Again, job markets in U.S. is still on very shaky grounds.

fatbus
28th Sep 2010, 08:36
6 / m is 72 a year or 3%, not that many really

Fart Master
28th Sep 2010, 14:10
Nope I disagree, I've kept an eye on a mate who joined earlier this year. He's moved up 35 places in the last 6 months. 72 out of 2450'ish is not 3%, and anyway why can't it be 3%?

fatbus
29th Sep 2010, 00:49
If it's not 3% what is it?

burnable gomi
29th Sep 2010, 02:00
Fred Garvin M.P. wrote... Whoever was posting about Airtran, I imagine those open positions will dry up very quickly now that Southwest is buying them. Again, job markets in U.S. is still on very shaky grounds.

Indeed. If they get up to SWA pay scales they'll be making much more than EK now too.

Fart Master wrote... Nope I disagree, I've kept an eye on a mate who joined earlier this year. He's moved up 35 places in the last 6 months. 72 out of 2450'ish is not 3%, and anyway why can't it be 3%?

It is 3%. So to answer your question: It can be 3%

harry the cod
29th Sep 2010, 10:27
The actual number is around 2%.

Fartmaster. Please, be so brave as to back up you statement by telling us the date when the last person was fired? This year was it?!!!!

Utter crap.

Harry

Fart Master
29th Sep 2010, 10:35
Harry,

Utter Crap, Charming!

1x Canuk 777 Capt approx 6 weeks ago....... 1x 380 Capt 8 days ago.

It's a bit sad really when someone makes a simple post, backed up with some info and then gets rude posts in return, it's hardly a contensious issue after all, pull your heads in boys.

Burnable.... my point exactly... it IS approx 3%

White Knight
29th Sep 2010, 16:56
Harry - Fartmaster is correct re the firings...

Wizofoz
29th Sep 2010, 17:32
At least those firings were (arguably) justified.

The firing of the Manchester F/O is a permanent stain on the companies character. Doesn't matter when it happened, unless they ring hmi, appologise, and offer to reinstate with full pay for the time since the incident, they are morally in the red.

And THAT from someone regularly accused of being a "Cheer-leader" for EK!!

Flyer1015
29th Sep 2010, 18:51
Ok, so what exactly is the Manchester story with the FO? All I've heard was it was a FO on IOE with a checkairman CA, and they executed a wrong missed approach. While that is a big mistake, it is not worthy of firing someone over. Here in the states, filing an ASAP report would cover your as$, so as long as it was a 100% honest mistake. You'd get called in, have a meeting, and maybe get a letter in your file (which is tossed in 12-24 months anyway), but you would have still have your job.

So what gives? What happened to these two EK pilots and what exactly happened at Manchester?

Wizofoz
30th Sep 2010, 02:40
Flyer,

Essentially correct (though do try and learn international parlance- IOE= Line Training, Checkairman=TRE (though this was a TRI), ASAP=CHIRP).

He unfortunatley had the bad karma to do it while the CEO was in the terminal, at a time when the company was still reacting (badly) to the Melbourne incident.

Unfair, unjust and immoral.

Wizofoz
30th Sep 2010, 05:12
100% correct except for this:-

but the appeal was rejected by ED.

It wasn't Ed, it was AA. Ed was a lot of things, but not (quite) THIS bad.

(Though the part about "Still under review is correct- seems he strung it out till the commanders conferences were over as he knew he couldn't possibly justify it.)

BackpackPilot
30th Sep 2010, 11:14
Wiz, they call you that because it fits you! Re-read your own post.

And you're the one who raised the reason for the sackings.

Still, I suppose it's always good to periodically re-post the way things work around here.

Harry, I believe there has also been three FOs sacked this year. A S. American, a limey and an aussie.

harry the cod
30th Sep 2010, 11:28
Then I stand corrected. Apologies to FartMaster.

Nobody tells me a feckin thing round here :(

Harry

ps For those in the know, what was the background in these recent dismissals?

Wizofoz
30th Sep 2010, 13:01
Wiz, they call you that because it fits you! Re-read your own post.

And you're the one who raised the reason for the sackings.

Still, I suppose it's always good to periodically re-post the way things work around here.

Anyone fluent in gibberish so they can translate this for me?

Oakape, your info is closer to the source than mine, so maybe Ed WAS that big of a #$%^!!

ennui
30th Sep 2010, 13:34
Nobody tells me anything as well.

I appreciate that working here I'm a mushroom, but would appreciate the reasons behind the sackings if someone in the know would be forthcoming.

Thank you in anticipation.

I am cursed to be "living in interesting times".

Oh for the simple life. . . . . .

CaptainProp
30th Sep 2010, 15:06
For those of you from NA looking at options to "get out" Virgin America are advertising for pilots again. Looking at the delivery schedule you should be looking at upgrade within 2 years or so and at the same time you'll be sitting back home waiting for that command rather than down in the sand pit! Not too bad all things considered I guess?

Good luck!

CP

Nuuk
1st Oct 2010, 13:30
AC hiring 50 pilots this financial year. 700 pilots are retiring over the next 5 years, that's 140 new hire/year for a while just for retirement!
B767 will not be phased out, they are fitted with the new interior, meaning the arrival of the 787 will create expansion, more jobs to come along on top :O
Keep Discovering!

Flyer1015
1st Oct 2010, 16:37
Who is AC? Air Canada?

Nuuk
1st Oct 2010, 17:53
Yes, AC = Air Canada

fatbus
2nd Oct 2010, 04:49
Considering the experience level required for the EK app do you really think anyone at EK would leave to be on the end of the AC list?