PDA

View Full Version : East Coast USA - PPL Training??

NewbieFlyer
21st Sep 2010, 15:52
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where I can get a PPL course on the east coast (preferably near New Jersey)?
I found one in Morristown NJ, but the price is between 10-11k USD.
From reading this forum, I've seen PPL costs between 4&6k but no names for these schools.
Can anyone identify these 4-6k schools please?

Thanks...:ok:

lander66
21st Sep 2010, 23:00
4K sounds a bit too cheap but I know that some schools offer very cheap PPL training. These tend to ask for an upfront payment for the whole course (if you are applying to a very cheap one). Also it would have to be an intensive course using minimum hours. $7-8K might be more realistic for these cheap courses though. Florida is generally cheaper than the schools on the northern east coast I think.

xma05
23rd Sep 2010, 17:02
I would recommend finding a private instructor. In my opinion, most of the time it works out better then flying in a school. For example, most flight schools will require you to complete 3 stage checks (before solo, before solo x-country, before check ride) with instructor other then yours. They will tell you, it's for your own safety, own good etc. However, in my opinion, a good instructor can determine better when to solo his student, because he spends far more time with him in the airplane, then a check instructor.
I can give you some contacts of very good instructors in KLDJ, but you will have to work hard for yourself and come prepared. I would suggest that you finish your knowledge test before you solo. PM me for contacts.

xma05
25th Sep 2010, 12:18
If he's only doing a PPL, he can use a regular B1/2 visa and for TSA purposes a private CFI can be a "flight school provider".

BigGrecian
25th Sep 2010, 12:29
If he's only doing a PPL, he can use a regular B1/2 visa and for TSA purposes a private CFI can be a "flight school provider".

DEFINITELY not - that is illegal. Especially for flying!

On Friday, April 12, 2002, the Department of Justice (DOJ) issued an Interim rule through the Federal Register (Vol. 67, No.71) proposing to amend 8 CFR Parts 214 and 248. This amendment requires a change of status from any non-immigrant visitor visa (B-1 or B-2) to a student visa (F-1 of M-1) prior to pursuing a course of study, including flight training.

See : http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/418519-m1-visa-no-visa-sevis-approved-schools-usa.html

UncleNobby
25th Sep 2010, 15:30
SoCal - an independent CFI can be a registered training provider with the TSA. As long as they are its the same process.

BigGrecian
25th Sep 2010, 18:56
SoCal - an independent CFI can be a registered training provider with the TSA. As long as they are its the same process.

True for the TSA process - but they CANNOT train the student without the relevant immigration status.

B1/B2 does not count. See link in previous post.