PDA

View Full Version : Hoist stretcher spin up

pigi
20th Sep 2010, 09:29
Doing some work on a risk analysis for hoist in rescue ops. I need some video about this dangerous situation and since now I 've got this one only:

msw31_dw7hE

Does anyone have a video or a link to something about it?

Thanks in advance

170'
20th Sep 2010, 10:52
It's a short-haul operation not a winch/hoist operation.

They're a common option if a dedicated SAR machine (with winch) is not located nearby/or on other tasks. obviously it doesn't work this way usually. but here's a training manual for shorthaul ops...

http://amd.nbc.gov/library/handbooks/shorthaul_hb.pdf

Regards...170'

pigi
20th Sep 2010, 13:37
Tks a lot, but I know that stretcher-spinning is possible also during hoist/winch ops, not only in short/long line ops.
Thanks again for the doc.
Pigi

Epiphany
20th Sep 2010, 14:53
It certainly is a problem in winch operations but can usually be eliminated by use of a stretcher line that is attached by a quick release fastening to one corner of the stretcher and is held and paid out by a crewman on the ground (a weak link is advisable!)

The paramedic is winched up with the stretcher and the crewman on the ground tries to keep a 45 degree angle on the line. Once the paramedic is at the door and the hoist operator has the stretcher he unclips the line and it falls away to be collected by the crewman. This prevents a spin.

Apologies if I am telling you something that you already know Pigi.

pigi
20th Sep 2010, 15:26
Hi, I'm a pilot and I do exactly as you describe, tks. I'm only looking for videos showing spinning.
Tks again
Pigi

unstable load
20th Sep 2010, 17:05
I had a stretcher spin up on me during a training flight and it's not fun at all. We found that the fabric liner in the stretcher was the cause creating a sort of "wing" and once we removed it, the stretcher was much more stable to winch.

rooaaiast
9th Oct 2010, 13:35
I am a fixed-wing pilot (A330) with only a half hour on a Robinson 22, but have always wondered why the Seach & Rescue winchman has to endure all that dangerous swinging and particularly spinning in the wire.
I saw a TV program recently with the winchman trying to twist to land face forwards on the ship deck.
Is there no solution to the problem in this day and age?
Just a query if anyone has time to answer.

Cornish Jack
9th Oct 2010, 14:56
Largely a matter of technique. On Whirlwind 10s, I used to steady myself as I left the cabin and then use the airflow to fly facing the survivor. If you let the spin develop, it takes a bit of 'wriggling' to damp it. For water work, it was always helpful to get your boots into the water some distance out on the approach and use them to hold orientation. Good directional control made the pickup a lot simpler.:ok:

tommywarez
9th Oct 2010, 15:18
About 2 years ago I devised a clever little invention to stop the spin but concluded that the cost of protecting it with a patent and then getting CAA approval meant I would be out of pocket, so it sits in a drawer!

rooaaiast
12th Oct 2010, 19:34
Cornish Jack, thanks for the answer. I am full of admiration for anyone who would go down on the wire in the wx I see on rescue programs.
Seems a pity yourself a Tommy Warenz would not get together to develop a solution if possible.

mickjoebill
13th Oct 2010, 01:54
There is a device used in the 70s in feature films that kept the payload on a crane facing in a particular direction. Its was made so a cameraman, sitting on a custom rig could be hoisted on a construction crane cable. It is probably not in regular use because remote stabilised camera heads can do a better job.

I recall that part of the sytem had a wind vane that would drive gears and help reduce rotation, this clip from utube of the movie "stunt man" has a brief shot of it at the beginning and at 1.37
Not ideal for winch operations!

The miners rescue pod to be used in Chile today will rotate, a factor of the cable being used.

Mickjoebill

BesLJgU0ZBs?fs