PDA

View Full Version : Logbooks between countries

Dreamflyer1000
19th Sep 2010, 10:02
Just wondering what the deal is with logbooks when you go to another country to fly. Eg, New Zealand logbook, but flying in Australia.
Can you still use your NZ book? or do you then have to buy a new book, and transfer your experience over?
The reason I ask, is if you are flying in a country for 6 months, then go back to another, etc etc, changing books all the time, and keeping track of the summaries is going to be a pain..

tmpffisch
19th Sep 2010, 10:32
ICAO stipulates that it needs to be surrendered to customs when leaving the country, and they forward it to whoever regulates Aviation in the country (ie. CASA or CAA etc). Turns into a pain in the arse for long-haul airline pilots.

Now seriously....just keep using whichever logbook you like. New Zealand hours count 1 for 1 here in Australia (many would argue), just like anywhere else in the world. It's a log of your flying experience, wherever in the world it may be.

Icarus2001
19th Sep 2010, 10:50
Put another way. If you decided to go to a newsagent and buy an exercise book and use it is a logbook, you can. So long as you record the information required by the particular states aviation regulator then you are legal. The log book is YOURS and records YOUR hours. There is no requirement that I am aware of that requires a log book to be "local".

See CAR 5.51

DX Wombat
19th Sep 2010, 11:33
Prior to gaining my PPL I went to visit family and friends in West Australia. Whilst I was there I had two flights in a Tomahawk with the CFI of Minovation both of which, having been certified by her, counted towards my PPL hours and are recorded in my one and only logbook. I have since had a further flight in a Minovation aircraft and that too is recorded in the logbook. Hope that helps.

Results may vary
19th Sep 2010, 21:41
The above posts are on the money, hours are hours and it doesnt matter where you get em. I had 80 (started very young) when i went to Oz and did another 20 or so before getting my Ozzy PPL there. I took my NZ logbook and used it there, for ease of defining Ozzy flying I just put "VH-" in front of the A/C rego. Now that im flying back here in NZ again, I just write as normal (ABC) under rego. The only other thing I took over there was a simple letter from my NZ CFI stating that my hours were correct and true. It should do the trick for you too. All the best mate! :ok: X

Dreamflyer1000
20th Sep 2010, 05:29
That clears that up. thanks for your help!