PDA

View Full Version : RNAV Approaches

av8trflying
17th Sep 2010, 23:52
Hi

Would anyone know where I could get any info on RNAV approaches. Any books, guides, instructional notes etc or even websites.

I want to do my RNAV approval but would like to have a read on anything I can get my hands on before I book in.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

monkeynutz
17th Sep 2010, 23:58
RNAV Approval???

av8trflying
18th Sep 2010, 00:00
Endo then...:)

Old Akro
18th Sep 2010, 00:09
RNAV approaches require familiarity with the GPS unit. When you're under pressure entering an approach you need to implicitly understand how the unit behaves and which knob to turn next. The Garmin manuals are not too bad and you can download them from Garmin. The have a GNS430 / 530 simulator you can put on your PC too. Its been a while since I flew a King GPS IFR, but I think they have user manuals to download from their website.

At the end of the day, I think you'll "get"the RNAV approach concept quicker once you fly it. If you have a safety pilot with you, there's no reason why you can't have a go in VFR if you stay OCTA, use the radio and keep a look out.

Fly-by-Desire
18th Sep 2010, 00:32
http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/caaps/ops/179a_1.pdf

Have a look at that, plenty of info in it, and generaly covers all the technical stuff you will need.

av8trflying
18th Sep 2010, 00:57
Thanks guys for the info. Just downloaded the Garmin trainer.

That is a good bit of kit.:ok:

Cheers

27/09
18th Sep 2010, 01:12
Pity you can't update the 430/530 sim database to the same status as it would be in the GPS in the aircraft. Makes it hard to use the current approach plates and enroute waypoints as many are not in the sim database.

blacknight
18th Sep 2010, 21:35
If you can get a copy of Bob Tait's Instrument Rating Study guide there is a small section explaining the basics. I agree with the other posts re knowing how to work the GPS you are using really thoroughly. Country airports are fine as you can plan yourself but if you ever fly into CTA they can change things around pretty quickly and you need to make changes to the GPS efficiently and correctly.

Mainframe
18th Sep 2010, 22:33
av8trflying

GPS RNAV approaches are the way to go with the world wide decommissioning of NDBs in particular, and in 3rd world countries it is becoming
virtually the only instrument approach available when away from their main international airport.

This link is probably one of the best at simply explaining the procedure and terminology, and the human factors side of it as alluded to by old akro.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/fsa/2000/jan/page37.pdf

At the time this was written, they were called GPS NPA.

The GPS RNAV approach closely resembles a LLZ/DME approach and that is the best way to understand them.

The big, and sometimes fatal, difference is that you do not have GPS distance to the field,

instead you only see the distance to the next waypoint.

As almost all legs are 5 nm long, a quick bit of mental arithmetic will add the leg distances and give you a distance to the missed approach wpt.

VFR GPS addicts need to understand this difference.

A graphical display GPS such as a G 430 is an excellent way to get the big picture of where you are and where you are going in the approach.

Older units such as the G155 TSO dont give you any clues.

In an approach, remember that the "ACT" (Active) annunciator is the OK to continue down to the MDA,
its similar to the ILS GS integrity check at the OM when flying an ILS.

Descending to the MDA without the annunciator displayed is a fail item on the test.

Another possible confusion is the missed approach leg to the "H" (Holding) wpt.
It is normally not auto sequenced and must be selected in the missed approach. (usually pressing the "Go To" button will offer it to you)

This is where the G430 helps you get your head around aspects of the RNAV.

feel free to pm me with an email address for some study info.

(this is not a general offer to everyone as I dont have time or opportunity to respond, av8trflying may elect to forward this info)

Safe flying with the Right Approach.

Research CAAPs, AIP, Jepp etc for other needed info.

av8trflying
19th Sep 2010, 02:03
Thanks for all of the input.

Mainframe, thanks for your knowledge, I will PM you.:ok:

In regards to the illegal RNAV, I would personally report it through the CASA Repcon.