PDA

View Full Version : B777 Type Rating / Endorsement

beached az
16th Sep 2010, 07:41
Hi all

I'm based in Auz & looking for a bit of info regarding B777 training.
In a nut, I'm getting a bit longer in the tooth these days and not having any luck with the usual suspects, in Auz / NZ interview wise, it's time for me to think outside the box a bit.

With regard to getting a B777 rating, a few questions to those who've been through the process.
It looks as if the main options for me are Air NZ or Boeing (US&A)
Given the current trend in the Aussie dollar, US looks like the more cost effective option (accomodation & airfares may negate that somewhat).

The main questions I have are...
(i) What's the difference in quality of training? (I prefer Bob Tait style over CBT any day)
(ii) Does the Rating cover all variants of the B777?
(iii) If done in the US, can the rating be put on my NZ or Aussie ATPL without too much hassle?
(iv) Any other related advise greatfully recieved (I'll be approaching this from a position of no IFR recency or jet experience & I appreciate the Mt Everest of a learning curve that it will be) :confused:

Please forgive my ignorance if this has been done to death on this forum before.
I'm not looking for a debate on the merits of being bonded vs buying a job either way you end up paying for it, just after info on getting the rating.

Regards.

BA :ugh:

Falling Leaf
17th Sep 2010, 07:46
Very dangerous (desperate) buying a rating unless you have a job at the end of it. That type rating will gather dust every week after you finish your final sim. I know its tempting (I'm long in the tooth too), but this would be a bridge too far...

Anthill
17th Sep 2010, 09:06
Don't waste your money unless ther is an iron clad job promise at the end..

The Green Goblin
17th Sep 2010, 09:28
Waiting for the 'click'

Mr. Hat
17th Sep 2010, 09:45
Very few employers acknowledge this practice. Might work in India if you are willing to go there.

sms777
17th Sep 2010, 10:24
"click"
Damn......it did not work :(

Chimbu chuckles
17th Sep 2010, 11:34
1/. Buying a jet type rating without either significant prior jet experience or an iron clad job offer is a waste of money.

2/. Assuming you have neither buying a 777 rating is a REALLY dumb idea. I am just finishing off a 777 type rating as the moment at Alteon UK (paid for by my employer) and there is a fella here with 300 hrs paying for a 737 Classic type rating and so far unable to meet the standard. Why 737 Classic? "It was the cheapest"

Utter waste of money.

3/. If you're determined to buy a type rating I would suggest you concentrate on the most common type in the region - 737-800NG or A320 - rather than the least common - 777.

4/. Without good IFR skills/knowledge you will be very unlikely to pass the course.

To answer your other questions

They all use CBT there is no class room teaching for systems.

Transferring onto your Oz/NZ licence is very easy with the paperwork they provide.

The 777 course covers all the variants and the 777 FCOM even covers 787-8.

Peter Fanelli
17th Sep 2010, 13:43
The 777 course covers all the variants and the 777 FCOM even covers 787-8.

He's probably sitting at his keyboard now thinking "what's a FCOM?"

c100driver
17th Sep 2010, 21:40
Transferring onto your Oz/NZ licence is very easy with the paperwork they provide.

Unless the course is NZ CAA approved then it will not be accepted by NZ CAA. The only cavet to that is if you have operational time on the aircraft they will look at that on case by case basis.

beached az
18th Sep 2010, 02:13
Cheerz Chimbu

Thanks for once again posting relevent info. :D
I should point out that this is more of a feasabilty study at this stage, no coin will be changing hands unless there is a good chance of a decent gig at the end.

Peter Fanelli
Really usefull champ good on ya :ugh: