PDA

View Full Version : Autorotation in hilly terrain

61 Lafite
15th Sep 2010, 22:50
Interesting flight around the lake district and mid-wales recently, as I was looking down, (from a safe height!) it became clear that whatever my height, the options at the end of an auto were less than appealing at certain times when transitioning over hills or valleys. Lots of steep bits valley floor looked a mess.

There isn't always an obvious safe haven down there, and it would have been nice to have a few pointers about where/how to manage an unfortunately timed engine failure.

Any useful hints or tips from people regularly around such areas about making the best of such terrain during an auto?

Lafite

the coyote
15th Sep 2010, 23:37
Make sure you lose all your forward speed in the flare and touch down vertically. That is the impact most are designed for.

My old man years ago was filming out the side of a H500 in China when the engine failed. It was mountainous jungle and the pilot did a great job putting it into a river, which fortunately turned out to be only about 2 feet deep.

heliduck
16th Sep 2010, 00:17
Certainly an issue we all face regularly. Try doing a search in these forums, I think it was Gordy who had a link to a US Military document on "How to crash a helicopter". It's a good read.

61 Lafite
16th Sep 2010, 01:05
Possibly this one

http://fireheli.com/Files/howtocrashahelicopter.pdf

Lafite

chcoffshore
16th Sep 2010, 19:59
Always good to keep it in the back of your mind in a single but have a bit of faith in the donkey not stopping!

rick1128
16th Sep 2010, 21:43
Keep in mind the MOST IMPORTANT requirement is to walk away from the helicopter with a minimum of damage to the passengers and crew, as possible. Nothing else matters. Even if they have to recover the machine with a stick and a spoon. As long as everyone on board came away with their body parts and senses reasonably intact, then you are ahead of the game. Cause Larry Bell, Igor Sikorsky or Pierre What's his name can always build you a new one.