PDA

View Full Version : BA Reward Seats

DuncanF
15th Sep 2010, 15:00
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've had a search and cannot find a relevant topic:

I've been offered a great deal on a place in Cyprus a year from now and, unusually for me, I'm looking to book flights up now in Club and use my Air Miles. Out from LHR to LCA on 19-Aug, return on 02-Sep.

The flights are now open online for booking for cash under the "355 day" rule, but presently there are no reward inbound flights at or around that date. In fact no inbound reward seats from 20-Aug onwards. I've been able to nab an outbound, but having spoken to BA Exec Club, they are no clearer as to where the inbounds have gone or indeed if they have been opened. The likelihood of all the inbounds having been taken from 20-Aug to 02-Sep is very small, so is it that reward flights open less than 355 days before the date of travel?

I don't really fancy booking a Club single inbound for cash as BA want a princely GBP620 vs. the GBP550 for a return! Go figure ...

Any insight much appreciated ...

Duncan

Mariner9
15th Sep 2010, 15:05
Try using your miles to upgrade from economy to Club rather that a straight purchase of a club ticket using miles. Should work out considerably cheaper than £600+, and I suspect you'll find that more seats are available for upgrades.

Juan Tugoh
15th Sep 2010, 15:16
This is the place to get all your queries regarding BA Exec club stuff, reward flight availability, hints and tips.

Flyertalk
(http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)

Lotpax
15th Sep 2010, 17:50
Mariner 9

You give normally good advice, BUT there seems to be a problem with BA reward flights at present.

I looked recently and for one destination there was zero availability for MFU from now to the end of the 355 days, or whatever it is!

Something ain't right.

Hartington
15th Sep 2010, 22:56
Why would BA (or any other airline) "give away" seats when they can get could money for them? Reward seats operate against the same yield controls as paid for seats. 2nd September is about the time people want to come home to the UK to get their kids back to school. The planes will be full with paying passengers.

As for MRU it's always full!

As Mariner 9 has said, if the airline is going to get some money, it's more likely to offer an upgrade but even then I'd have my doubts about early September back from Cyprus.

fincastle84
16th Sep 2010, 06:22
Hartington is absolutely correct. Reward seats are always dependent on the popularity of the destination & season. We travel regularly to CPT. Plenty of rewards in June, very rare in January.
The old law of supply & demand.

DuncanF
16th Sep 2010, 09:28
Guys, I appreciate all your responses but I think there is more to this. Regarding inbound flights being full of returning families with kids; the outbound flights running up to those dates have plenty of reward availability. And according to the BAExec person I spoke to, there are not blackout dates. All flight will have reward seats, obviously varying in numbers. So for all inbound flights two weeks before hand to have all their rewards flights taken so quickly is more than just a coincidence, surely?

DuncanF
16th Sep 2010, 09:36
Just looked again, and many dates from 19-Aug through 01-Sep have now become available on the rewards seats.

Thanks for your input all.

Duncan

PAXboy
16th Sep 2010, 13:09
many dates from 19-Aug through 01-Sep have now become available on the rewards seats.One day not there.
PPRuNe discussion
5 minutes later = there.

Revel in the power that we have ... :E

Lotpax
18th Sep 2010, 14:59
As for MRU it's always full!

Hartington, time to see your optician :E