PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Exit Rules

Bill Foster
15th Sep 2010, 12:04
I'm a reasonably unassuming passenger (proved by my occasional Ryanair flights), and I have a question for the experts.
Is it permitted to clutter up the emergency exit floor-space between seat rows with bags etc during a flight?
If it is permitted, it seems a bit daft.

OK, I said one question, but this is an observation.
At Liverpool Airport, my toiletries were confiscated for being in 'the wrong kind of plastic bag', which is obviously a major security matter. Yet, from entry to the airport to boarding the plane, the only time my passport was checked was at the boarding gate, by the harassed young lady boarding a delayed flight.
My wife and I had inadvertently swapped boarding passes and passports, but our faces were not looked at, and we just went through.

I would have thought that real security measures would outweigh the need to make 50p for a 'proper' plastic bag. My old friendly bag had made a dozen flights in and out of Britain over the past couple of years without question.

I think it must be me.:confused:

ThreadBaron
15th Sep 2010, 12:11
It undoubtedly is. Your details have been recorded and will be used for further harassment.

Exit seat row coggage. Well, if I trip over it on my way out the over-wing exit someone will hear about it.:*

TightSlot
15th Sep 2010, 12:17
Welcome to PPRuNe Mr. Foster

Exit rows shouldn't be an issue in flight - within the limits of what is sensible, if people want to put stuff there it isn't a problem. Sometimes people deliberately spread stuff around to prevent others from congregating and treading on their feet. Come descent, and prep for landing, everything, including blankies, cushions, handbags and newspapers should be stowed away.

Plastic bags? Can't help you there I'm afraid.

Lotpax
15th Sep 2010, 13:10
Hi Bill

This what the UK government says

containers must hold no more than 100ml
containers must be carried in a single, transparent, re-sealable plastic bag, which holds no more than a litre and measures approximately 20cm x 20cm
contents must fit comfortably inside the bag so it can be sealed
the bag must not be knotted or tied at the top
each passenger can carry only one of these bags
the bag must be presented for examination at the airport security pointContainers larger than 100ml (excluding essential medicines) will not be allowed through the security point even if they are only part full.proximately 20cm x 20cm

contents must fit comfortably inside the bag so it can be sealed
the bag must not be knotted or tied at the top
each passenger can carry only one of these bags
the bag must be presented for examination at the airport security pointContainers larger than 100ml (excluding essential medicines) will not be allowed through the security point even if they are only part full.

So the question is did your bag comply with the above?

Sadly, individual airports sometimes take it upon themselves to go above and beyond the law.

For example, EU law says it is okay to take a 6cm blade on an aircraft (think for some industrial applications), but try that at some UK airports and it will be confiscated - there is no appeal.

I am grateful that my home base is outside the UK and I rarely have to travel there.