PDA

View Full Version : Tough Call

clinty83
15th Sep 2010, 11:39
Hi Crew

Been thinking about things lately and thought, why not jump on PPRuNe and get some feed back so here goes.

I currently do not fly for a living. I work in a bloody office doing the same sh*t day in day out and I'm bloody sick to death of it.

I've been thinking about cashing im my long service, annual leave and company shares and heading north to Darwin/NT. My concern is that I have a mortgage and a wife, whom is also very understanding of my situation.

I'm wondering if any of those that have "been there done that" have any advice for a couple of reasons

1:Should a newbie be taking this punt at this time of year considering the wet is on its way? (althogh I do have multi IFR and Beaver Amphib)

2:Do operators tend to make you wait in line or do they normally hire the best experienced/qualified for the job?

3:Should I hunt down a 206/210 and plough off some hours in them? or can i get away without it?

Like a lot of others that have been there before it scares the piss out of me what may happen if I'm unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance for opinions and advice.

Clinty83

Capt Claret
15th Sep 2010, 13:28
You've possibly got another 40 working years ahead of you. That's a long time to be doing something you don't like, whilst getting a crick in your neck looking up when ever an aeroplane goes overhead.

Can't help with advice on whether Darwin is the go, or not. I can say I was 26 when I started learning to fly(27 years ago) and 29 when I got my first full time flying job. It's a **** of an industry when security is considered. However, if I had my time over, I'd not do too much different, I'd certainly not look for a different profession.

solowflyer
15th Sep 2010, 13:37
Well only you can answer that question. If you can afford to live on minimum wage go for it, if not you will need to find a way and make sacrifices. Don't worry about doing any time in 206/210 if you have more than minimum time loged just make sure you are current. the wet is fairly busy in Nt as every thing is under water.

It is ususally Jonny on the spot who gets the job thats why u need to get up there and meet all the CPs not just send cvs. when you do get to work somwhere you will understand when you see how many cvs show up in the mail each day.

novice110
15th Sep 2010, 14:33
I would go for it.

When I went through NT (10+ years ago) there was plenty of work in the wet. The tourism dropped, but charter grew.

The Chief Pilot's of these companies are just blokes like you, a bit further down the path. If you're there, or within 24hrs of being there when they need someone, you'll get a job.

Having Cessna 200 time helped me get a job.

Good luck, pm if you want anything further.

4Greens
15th Sep 2010, 16:45
Check out the military and get some real flying and be paid for it.

boltz
15th Sep 2010, 20:34
If you don't mind the poor wage for the rest of your life and think you'll enjoy the lifestyle, go for it!

mattyj
15th Sep 2010, 20:42
Cairns float planes..great job..gotta be better than Darwin..and the food (and more importantly alcohol) is heeaaaps cheaper than DN

Mr. Hat
15th Sep 2010, 22:02
Hi Clinty,

First and foremost I'd have to say that your family is more important than getting a flying gig. A close second is about how you feel about what you do for a living.

1:Should a newbie be taking this punt at this time of year considering the wet is on its way? (althogh I do have multi IFR and Beaver Amphib)

I think you have bigger concepts to get your head around than the wet season coming up.

2o operators tend to make you wait in line or do they normally hire the best experienced/qualified for the job?

They often hire Johnny on the spot. The old saying "right place right time". They will favour though someone that has all their minimum requirements as it represents an instant dollar turner. They want an easy solution to their problem (lack of bum on seat to operate machine).

3:Should I hunt down a 206/210 and plough off some hours in them? or can i get away without it?

Paying for time in a 206/210 would normally be seen as an unnecessary expense for the average newbie. Basically all they have to do is go up knock on doors and eventually someone will give them a checkride. In your case however it might help. Reason I say this is that you don't have the luxury of driving around for a few years in the hope that someone will give you a gig. You have a limited time frame. I'd say getting to know as many people as possible is probably the key. You could do this footwork get some time in the 200 series and turn up whilst on your LSL to NW WA and go and see Slingair Aligator Broome Av Kakadu Air etc.

Do some searches on this forum and try and get in contact with others that have been in your situation. I think a poster called "The Pharoah" was in a similar predicament - do a search.

What you could do is start informing yourself and making contact with the who's who of the industry. Who has float planes in their fleet? Who employs newbies? What will you get paid (talk to pilots on here about that don't ask that question over the phone - its taboo). Can you afford the mortgage repayments on a GA wage.

Trojan1981
16th Sep 2010, 01:30
G' Day Clinty,

Good advice form Mr Hat:ok:

Have you considered doing some part time flying to increase your hours while working in your current role? Maybe Skydiving?
I know how you feel, after leaving the military I worked in some of the most drone-like, mind numbing (but well payed) jobs known to man. I couldn't take it any more and after briefly considering going back to the ADF (my wife said divorce-not joking) I decided to go flying. I built up hours doing shark patrols and eventually quit my day job. My wife is understanding but there is a time limit. Once that limit is up, if flying cannot put food on the table I will have to find something else to do while flying part time.

I would say give it a good go, but family comes first. Good luck:ok:

Stikybeke
16th Sep 2010, 01:46
Clinty,

This is all great advice and like the others I reckon you should follow your heart however there's no shame in having some redundancy up your sleeve (just in case!!!).

For what it's worth, I'd suggest doing your RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol), RCG (Responsible Conduct Gaming), Senior First Aid, Bar Service course and getting a taxi drivers licence (ground).

People always want to drink and they'll always need someone to drive 'em home. It doesn't matter what company you work for..there's usually a pub somewhere close to where you're working (if you need a bit of extra cash) or a taxi that's looking for another driver to help out.

Just a suggestion

Stiky
:ok:

Dreamflyer1000
16th Sep 2010, 06:34
For what it's worth, I'd suggest doing your RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol), RCG (Responsible Conduct Gaming), Senior First Aid, Bar Service course and getting a taxi drivers licence (ground).

People always want to drink and they'll always need someone to drive 'em home. It doesn't matter what company you work for..there's usually a pub somewhere close to where you're working (if you need a bit of extra cash) or a taxi that's looking for another driver to help out.

might even take that advice myself!!

clinty83
16th Sep 2010, 07:33
Thankyou to all that have thrown in their 2 cents worth it is very much appreciated. I really didn't expect such a huge response to be honest, good to know there is support out there for newbies.

I havent made a decision yet but I'm more than leaning towards packing up my bongos and shipping off. My wife is very understanding and supportive and initially we think I should go up and get established then she will follow when she can. Ive been told there are some reasonably good non-flying jobs around that pay very well., but perhaps only around Darwin and more populas areas however.

I have sent out at last count around 15-20 emails to date, some with followed up phone calls other not yet. Ideally I'd like to work for a mob where I can progress to twins etc do I dont have to uproot and move again. In saying that if I have to I will. Flexibility is the name of the game in aviation.

I will endevour to gain some 210hrs as a friend owns one at my local field. Please keep the info coming, I particularly like the RSA license thought in a previous post.

Thanks again
Clinty83

Mr. Hat
16th Sep 2010, 08:10
Clinty emails and letters won't work. Phone calls are good to get the ground work done. Ie. Whats the CP's name, the SBP name, the owners name, where do they fly to what equipment do they have. Keep a diary with all the details. Get to know the industry what minimums they have. Etc.

On reading your post a second time I notice you don't have children, YET. This changes things. Basically you need to work out how to support the mortgage repayments. You could chance it without the 200 series time but as you have a friend that has one you could get a few hours in one which might help

Nothing beats the meet and greet followed by a follow up phone call and then yet another drop in. What you could try is treat it as a holiday where you show the wife Australia. Might make it a bit more bearable. Its good to have the support there. I did it alone and it can be very lonely!

GG comments below are accurate. It takes an awful lot to keep a woman interested in a ga pilot. Its a long road.

The Green Goblin
16th Sep 2010, 08:10
Whats the tough call?

Quit your ****ty job, kiss the missus on her cheek, slap her arse on the way out the door and don't look back.

Chances are you'll be hooked on the lifestyle regardless of the money and she'll grow real tired of it real quick. Woman think with emotion, men think with their minds. You'll probably have to make a heart breaking decision there at some stage. For the love of love, or for the love of flying?

As I said, head north and don't look back. Get a little currency before you go. Operators don't like guys that have not flown for a while as it equals more work for them (and money) to get you up to speed.

Being a Pilot is often a solitary life with a few drinking buddies in between. Most of the married folk don't seem to stay married for long. Ask the older boys about AIDS! There are only so many birthdays and christmas dinners you can miss until something has to give.

clinty83
16th Sep 2010, 10:17
ha ha ha. Dont disagree GG, reckon I'd come out worse off with the divorce settlement however!

She knows I'll miss things like Bdays annerversaries etc, I was her boss at work before we got together before we got mm.... mmaa...... mmaarrii .............MARRIED, oh the pain!!:eek:

eternity
16th Sep 2010, 11:36
Clinty83,

Get ur ass in there and give it a go!!!!

Your only in your 20's so if after a few years it doesnt work out for you then it wont take long to get back to where you are now. You might be a little digruntled and jaded by then but at least you can stand up and say you gave it a go.

If you choose the safe option - then your always going to watch the rest of us take-off and say to yourself (or someone else) "I always wanted to fly one of those......" Don't live the rest of your life like that mate.

I've read your posts over the last coupla years or so and you always seem keen to get into the industry.

Personally........I reakon you have already made your decision and are looking for validation......

See you in the skies

Eternity.

RR RB211
16th Sep 2010, 12:42
Mr Hat's advice (as usual) is right on the money.

My wife and I treated it as a big adventure and there were some lonely times for me up north as I got established before dragging her along, but somehow we made it work and are still together.

Mrs RR likes the fact I'm not so grumpy anymore and actually like fronting up for work. When I suggest I should pack in flying for a living and go back to earning more money in my old career, she tells me to forget it as she'd rather be poor but with a happy RR than better off but with a grumpy RR! What a gal.

So there's part of your answer. You'll never never know if you never never (give it a) go. :)

j3pipercub
16th Sep 2010, 13:42
GG

Ask the older boys about AIDS!

Who said you had to be older? :} I had a brush with AIDS about 5 years ago.

Just hurry up and get amongst it Clinty, for all it's negativity and seeming despair, it is still an awesome profession.

j3

clinty83
17th Sep 2010, 07:50
Ladies and Gents,

You would not believe it if you took the phone call yourself. I received a phone call today from the CP of a cattle company whom I had appled with recently.

He has had a position open up on a ststion and wants me there ASAP!!!
I've grabbed hold of this oppourtunity with both hands and I aint gonna let it go!

Once again crew thanks for all the advice through this thread:ok:.

b_sta
17th Sep 2010, 21:14
Looks like emails and phone calls can work after all :ok:

Congrats mate!

The Green Goblin
17th Sep 2010, 23:47
This is the exception rather than the rule.

Congrats mate and welcome to the light side of the force :ok:

Mr. Hat
17th Sep 2010, 23:57
Clinty, GO.

Thats exactly how i started and the view from 41,000 is well worth it.