PDA

View Full Version : Singapore vs. Bangkok???

Razoray
15th Sep 2010, 01:24
My wife and I have an opportunity to relocate to either Singapore or Bangkok for business/career. Priorities are ease of travel throughout the Asia Pacific region and overall quality of life for a professional couple with out kids.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

:cool:

PAXboy
15th Sep 2010, 02:37
I have only visited BKK but was discussing SIN with a friend at the weekend. If you wish to live in 'interesting' surroundings = BKK. If you want 'Quality of Life' = SIN. Besides they are only something like 2.25 hours apart.

Rush2112
15th Sep 2010, 05:06
Lived in BKK for 3 years and been in SIN 6 now.

"Quality of life" is difficult one to answer. Unless you have a hefty housing allowance, you will be living in a box in Singapore - expect to pay at least USD10,000 a month for somewhere near Orchard Road. You would get something palatial for half that in Bangkok.

Eating out is way better in Bangkok and cheaper. The price of alcohol will make you weep in Singapore.

Night life in Bangkok is well-documented and anything is possible if you have money and imagination.

The traffic in Bangkok is worse that almost anywhere else in the world, but they have the skytrain and underground systems. Singaporeans are the worst drivers in Asia so it evens up.

Politically Singapore is stable, Thailand is a mess and things are still simmering there. Crime rates here are low - though not r not non-existent - and you will never get asked for a donation from a traffic cop here, unlike dear old Bangkok.

Singapore Airlines and Changi Airport are two of the best things about living here and you can get anywhere in SE Asia from here on SQ or MI. TG is OK, but not as good, nor as expensive so if your company is paying that's OK. Swanapoom is not a good airport despite the zillions of baht spent on it. Most of which ended up in someone's pocket. Allegedly.

If you are a professional couple unquote, I suspect Singapore will get your vote.

That said, if the political situation gets resolved anytime soon, I would go back in a heartbeat.

Load Toad
15th Sep 2010, 06:47
Singapore to live, Thailand for vacations.

And given the public transport you don't need to spunk all your cash on a condo on Orchard Rd either.
I lived in Singers 5 years prior to moving to HK. In some respects I'd still prefer to live in Singapore. Bangkok - love the place but I wouldn't want to live there it would do my head in. If you are going to live somewhere to work, for your career then you want it to be someplace you can relax in. You can pretty much get up to a lot of 'fun' in Singapore & it is incredibly easy to use Singers as a base to fly around the region or drive up into Malaysia etc.

Donkey497
15th Sep 2010, 19:35
My company has a fairly large base in Singapore. I've been visiting there & a supplier in Thailand for a few years now & my own take is that Singapore is nice to visit, but after a while it gets a bit artificial & it's like living in Disneyland.
If you do appreciate the odd bit of grime & untidyness, go for Thailand. The traffic is not for the fainthearted, but on the whole it gets my vote.

Another alternative you might want to think about that a lot of our local & now some of our ex-pat folks are doing in Singapore is buying a property just over the causeway in Malaysia. Live in Malaysia at much lower costs and commute into Singapore each day. Lots of very nice new neighborhoods are springing up at very attractive prices. The paperwork will likely be a little more complicated, but I understand that the Malaysian Government is actively supporting these developments & may be easing relocation to these places.

RevMan2
16th Sep 2010, 05:40
To misquote the immortal Nico Colchester of The Economist:
"Bangkok is crunchy (http://specials.ft.com/nicocolchester/FT392Q7SEIC.html)"

Someone once described Singapore as "Croydon in the tropics"....

Rush2112
16th Sep 2010, 06:43
Someone described it to me here as "Disneyland with hanging".

LT - agree about transport but Orchard Road rent is a good yardstick for "top end". Depends where your office is as well.

angels
16th Sep 2010, 09:18
Lived in Singers for four years, Honkers for four years and temporarily resided in Bangers off and on during that time.

LoadToad sums it up best for me.

If you'd had kids I would have said Singers 100 percent.

In the end though it depends on what 'quality of life' means to you.

Capetonian
16th Sep 2010, 12:04
Singapore seems to me, and I admit I've not spent a lot of time there, antiseptic, false, and the people mercenary, pushy, and arrogant. I have to go there later this year and if it weren't that it's a special social event, I would not be going, and as it is I'm not looking forward to it.

That said, BKK would certainly not be in my top 10 of places to live, too much traffic and noise, but it would certainly come higher than SIN for the relaxed life style, low cost of entertainment (I mean eating out ... sorry that's also open to misinterpretation), and a more relaxed way of life and far nicer people.

Load Toad
16th Sep 2010, 12:44
...antiseptic, false, and the people mercenary, pushy, and arrogant.

Never saw that in 5 years.

I have no idea sometimes about people dissing Singers.. 'It's too clean!' - What do you want - McDonald's boxes are out but you are happy with dog turd?

'It's boring!' - Have you done Desker Rd at night?

The stuff you've mentioned you can get anywhere, anytime.

False? To who?
Antispectic? See above.
Mercenary? It's Asia - FiFo. Who isn't nowadays? If you are an ex-pat for your career you are 'mercenary' by definition.
Arrogant? Really - Pride maybe but given the situation in many countries it's well founded.

"Disneyland with hanging" - Probably comes from 'The Lands of Charm and Cruelty' by Stan Sesser I think which was written in '94. It was a chapter about Singapore maybe titled 'Prisoner in a Theme Park' (?) and is somewhat outdated as it is mostly about the control freak nature of LKY and the PAP before that time regarding the Communist Party.

parabellum
16th Sep 2010, 22:03
I lived in Singapore for ten years and my brother currently lives in BKK, which I have also been to many, many times.

To live in, I would go for Singapore.

Rush2112
17th Sep 2010, 04:05
Never saw that in 5 years.

Arrogant? Really - Pride maybe but given the situation in many countries it's well founded.

Not sure LT - I'd have to say it goes beyond pride. I like the fact that they are proud of their country and I'd like to see a return to that value back in UK, but there is an arrogance that they are "better" than other Asians which is largely misplaced. In my office we have Malaysians, Indonesians, a couple of Japanese and a Filipina, and without exception the 'foreigners' are better workers, less trouble and easier to work with.

ZFT
17th Sep 2010, 08:26
Based in BKK for 11 years now and now with the Bahts ridiculous current value, it actually isn’t that cheaper a place anymore!

Having said that, the diversity of Bangkok eateries and the quality of the food in my opinion is still the best anywhere.

I drive every day and I cannot understand why Bangkok’s reputation is as bad as it is. Providing you know the city and the various ‘green routes’ other than after significant rain storms, it really isn’t that bad. Certainly I find Manila, Jakarta and even KL to be much worse cities. The traffic police are an issue and unless you are comfortable ‘negotiating’ then driving can be quite challenging.

The Skytrain, MRT and the newly opened Airport Link are cheap, efficient, reliable and safe.

What will happen with the Reds and Yellows is a cause for concern and as has already been mentioned “things are still simmering” and certainly something is about to happen.

Crime is unfortunately on the rise and whilst it is still a very safe city, we are hearing of more and more cases of fairly blatant street crime against foreigners.

Not mentioned so far is health care – Bangkok has fantastic hospitals and dental care, all at very affordable prices.

Working here has many challenges and if you have the support of a reasonable company behind you then you should be OK, otherwise you may find life initially somewhat complex.

As to which city is best – only you can decide what is best for you. BKK is certainly best for me.

Rush2112
19th Sep 2010, 02:47
Two very good points ZFT - healthcare is very good in BKK. It's good here too, but expensive while BKK it's very affordable.

The other point is you do need a decent company behind you.

It's much easier here for a newbie to Asia.

ConstantFlyer
19th Sep 2010, 14:41
Razoray - I don't know if you're a regular traveller to both cities and are now just considering residence options, or if you've not visited either of them. If the latter, then I expect that a few days' visit to each will enlighten you significantly.

I've been to both, and my first impression of Singapore was that it was a cross between Disneyland and Croydon (a rather soulless concrete suburb of London, UK); however, I later warmed to it as I explored more. Certainly it is very well positioned and connected for travel to other parts of the Asia/Pacific region. Bangkok immediately seemed more relaxed and friendly, though there was an underlying sense of chaos.

If you hanker after proper level pavements, then go for Singapore; if you appreciate a smile, then plump for Bangkok and learn to speak Thai. Either way, I'm sure you'll not be disappointed. Best wishes and good luck.

ampclamp
20th Sep 2010, 11:38
Hi razor.
I like both.BKK is huge, hot and polluted with lots of traffic.But is an endlessly fascinating place. Thailand is quite diverse and outside of BKK the pace is slower with much to see.Just keep away from the south at all costs.Too dangerous.
I find Singapore a bit sterile and out of place in SE Asia as it is organised clean more expensive and developed.Much safer I would say also.Not quite as hot but very humid.
Each to their own.It is not black and white and largely personal taste and priorities that count.
I think Thailand will provide a broader experience, but quality of life, for a westerner on good money Singapore appeals.You can always fly elsewhere if you wish.
I've spents many months travelling in Thailand and love the place and people.That said, the troubles in the south with muslim seperatism and now the Taksinites v royalists in BKK and the north does provide some food for thought for your safety.

Razoray
27th Sep 2010, 02:21
Thanks everyone for all the feedback......although we have still not made a decision, and business may make our choice for us, I now have lots to think about.

One more question...

we are traveling with a pet cat....we are fully versed in all the aspects of bringing the cat into Singapore and Bangkok....

My new question is about transporting the cat from LAX to either BKK or SIN...

What are the best airlines to use, what is the best way to do this, and is it really safe for our cat??? Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks

SQC7991
27th Sep 2010, 14:34
Cathay Pacific of course.