PDA

View Full Version : Station hand/Pilot jobs

Kippers7
15th Sep 2010, 00:01
I have recently completed my PPL and currently doing 182/CSU endorsement and some aerobatic/tail dragger training with full intensions of completing my CPL. Speaking to a few friends and browsing pprune the idea of a station hand/pilot job would be an awesome experience and a great way to build some hours towards my CPL while making some money. My question is that, is a 80-90hr pilot suitable for this kind of job with the appropriate training (low level etc.), and how to go about finding position other than the major pastoral companies, assuming they have a much higher hour requirement?
I’m fully aware that flying would only be a small part of the position, and coming from carpentry and mechanical maintenance background I do have other skills to offer.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

morno
15th Sep 2010, 06:57
Errr, you might want to finish that CPL first.

I'm not sure how CASA would view it when you're essentially getting paid to fly an aircraft, with only a PPL. Actually yes I do, it would be grim.

morno

Ixixly
15th Sep 2010, 07:37
(d) an aircraft that is flying or operating for the purpose of, or
in the course of:
(i) the personal transportation of the owner of the
aircraft;
(ii) aerial spotting where no remuneration is received by
the pilot or the owner of the aircraft or by any person
or organisation on whose behalf the spotting is
conducted;
(iii) agricultural operations on land owned and occupied
by the owner of the aircraft;
shall be taken to be employed in private operations.

Pretty sure that means that an aircraft owned by a station and flown on the station land or flying the owner of the station around is therefore legally a private flight and as such his PPL would be enough right?

Irrespective of whether he is getting paid extra to fly it or not, it still counts as a private operation...though i'm sure some lawyer boffin would argue otherwise somehow!! I ain't no lawyer, just giving my interpretation, always happy to be proven wrong and learn something :)

Ixixly
15th Sep 2010, 07:40
Oh but Kippers, i'm with Morno on the getting your CPL done first part, lets face it, theres plenty of pilots out there with their CPL complete for you to compete against for those station jobs, should give yourself the best chance possible!!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
15th Sep 2010, 08:18
Most, or at least, some, of the 'station flying' would most likely involve a fair bit of low flying - windmill checks, stock inspection, fence line inspection etc etc.

Have you thought about getting the pre-requisite low flying experience..??

Also, see if you could get some 'bush flying' experience with an experienced guy - especially with regard to those short / soft / rough 'station' strips.... on the proverbial hot day...

All the Very Best....:ok:

clinty83
15th Sep 2010, 08:31
Another thing to consider mate is, will you be able to afford training for your CPL on first job wages.

A friend of mine is flying on a station at the moment with a PPL so it is possible, and he has mentioned its going to be hard to find the cash to complete the training to CPL.

Just food for thought, from what I understand the pay is around $100 per day less a few bucks for the social stuff, food and lodging. Some places provide free lodging and food others dont.

Either way mate best wishes with it all.

Cliny83

morno
15th Sep 2010, 08:33
(ii) aerial spotting where no remuneration is received by
the pilot or the owner of the aircraft or by any person
or organisation on whose behalf the spotting is
conducted;

See that's where my interpretation would be that it's NOT a private operation, because even if he's paid as a "Station hand", CASA could (and probably would) argue that he's getting paid to fly the aircraft.

Much safer just to have a CPL to start with.

morno

tail wheel
15th Sep 2010, 08:38
Unless flying was supplementary to a primary job as Station Hand/Jackaroo, and you were not the owner/pilot, it could well be aerial work. I think the insurance requirement may also get you. Some station flying involves aerial mustering and that is definitely not a task for an hour building PPL, even with a rating.

Large agricultural companies had flying operations 20 something years ago but they have largely disappeared. You will find the odd station owner/pilot.

Stick to your CPL studies.

Ixixly
15th Sep 2010, 08:51
Ahh Insurance, good point Tailwheel. Seems to be making everything harder these days when the Insurance guys are charging an arm and a leg to cover you for pilots under 500hrs to fly the aircraft!

poteroo
15th Sep 2010, 09:59
Kippers7

Mate, what you're suggesting is a back-door, and probably illegal, way of building hours. At 90TT - you are an accident looking for a place to happen out in the station country.

Get your CPL, do a low level course, then your mustering endo, and about then - you'll be better prepared for the station stuff.

happy days,

solowflyer
15th Sep 2010, 10:02
insurance what insurance you would be lucky if the aircraft had a current maintenace release or even on the register on some stations.

Horatio Leafblower
15th Sep 2010, 10:07
I thought the moderators would shut this one down for sure - a thread on "Station Pilot Hand-jobs"...:hmm:

Hat, coat, etc.

Counter-rotation
16th Sep 2010, 09:22
Some facts:

1) Aerial work can be commercial - hence private licence doesn't cut it

2) Mostly, if a pilot is being paid, it will be a commercial operation - But whether the pilot is paid or not, is not the determinant of whether it is a commercial operation.

CR.

boltz
16th Sep 2010, 10:58
They use to employ PPL holders to do their flying until one of them killed themselves. Now they will only employ CPL holders.
Just remember that you're a Station Hand first, Pilot second. Hours vary from 200-500hrs per year but are normally at the lower end. Tailwheel won't matter as most use C150s and C172s. Most want 200hr min. Pay is about $38k and that's 12 hour days, 6 days a week. They pay per day not per hour.

tail wheel
16th Sep 2010, 22:20
"Tailwheel won't matter ... :\ .............

BEACH KING
16th Sep 2010, 23:39
That was a bold and brave statement!!

Truth is...very few fly GA registered stuff on Stations these days.
Mostly Drifters and gyrocopters now.

Bigger companies use helicopters.

birddog254
17th Sep 2010, 01:56
Most big companies wont even look at you with out CPL and 300TT
Best way to build hours legally with ppl as far as Im aware is Parachute Drops, but for the love of god DONT offer to do it for free!!
Birddog

Desert Duck
17th Sep 2010, 06:05
And to follow on from BEACH KING - a lot of them doing airwork or commercial functions.

kingRB
17th Sep 2010, 10:20
Best way to build hours legally with ppl as far as Im aware is Parachute DropsNot really. Minimum requirement for jump flying is for 200TT and 100 command, and if you have that, you'll likely have your CPL anyway.

squidward
17th Sep 2010, 23:57
I once heard of a certain organisation that lost so many aircraft it was cheaper for them to just buy another one rather than paying for the insurance... :}

Bore inspection & mustering is not for the low houred PPL. :eek:

Kippers7
19th Sep 2010, 23:33
Thanks for the feedback... Must say i was kind of expecting that sort of response but was worth trying.. So guess i will be staying on the coast giving my mates free scenics.
Thanks
Kippers.

ops_guy
20th Sep 2010, 04:29
Why not ask your mates to chip in to cover the cost? You can legally share the cost evenly between all those on board.

FJ1200
20th Sep 2010, 05:42
Provided the aircraft is owned by the property you are operating on it can be justified as a private operation, I wouldn't recomend it as a way of getting hours or experience as it can be a fairly unforgiving environment for inexperienced pilots. If you are looking at a career in the bush it is a great skill to have though. Mustering approvals are availabe read the CAO's but getting someone who is approved to teach it is the hard part.

Jxbold
28th Sep 2010, 06:13
I had a friend flying for an outback station and I was also offered a job as a pilot/stationhand for the same company, but unfortunately I couldn't except it. The min TT was 250hrs I think and I also needed a low level endorsement, which the company was going to pay for. The flying can be quite challenging, the pilot before my mate hit a tree and the guy before him a cow. Best way to build up free hours is glider towing. Go get your glider tow rating and join the local glider club, they are usually looking for tow pilots to help out at the weekends. Not sure of the min TT req, that may be similar to a drop rating. You could also buy into a cheap C172 syndicate etc and fly at next to cost.

Unfortunately learning to fly is expensive and there are few ways to aviod that expense. Good luck