PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster PD259

seafuryfan
14th Sep 2010, 22:15
Latest news on parts recovery...

Lancaster PD259 - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=92347)

Alan90
15th Sep 2010, 13:07
I'm happy PD259 is going to a good home as the site has been looted in recent year with only the remote location saving it.
Did you recover the rear fuselage with the serial also the two tail fins ?
We covered them over with peat in the mid 80's to preserve the paintwork which was begining to fade.
I have the RAF Form 740 and 540 relating to the crash plus several photo's taken in the 80's if they are of interest.

seafuryfan
16th Sep 2010, 13:38
Hi Alan, thanks for posting. I'm sure if you get in touch with the CRO at RAF Waddington they will put you in touch with the museum operators who will be delighted to hear from you.

Have you seen the photos via the link on the Flypast Forum? There's a picture of a fin recovered last year which may be the one you protected.

PM me if you need any help contacting the curator.

Regards,

SFF

Rover001
17th Sep 2010, 15:30
Hello Alan.

I am on the team recovering PD259. Yes, we have recovered the fin and the 2 side panels with the markings, and a great deal more. The remains are on display within RAF Waddington. We would be delighted to receive copies of your photos from the '80's. If you are in the area why not drop them in yourself and take a look around? The main parts will also be on display at the RAF Waddington INternational Airshow in 2011.

Alan90
20th Sep 2010, 12:52
Unfortunately I live near Loch Lomond so I doubt I'll be near Waddington in the near future.
I'll scan the photo's and send them to you as there were turret parts, a buried section of rear fuselage with the codes intact, a second fin and tailplane buried well away from the main debris trail. The green leather pilot's seat was upside down in a bog and the adjusters still worked. Strangely there was a handle marked "glider release" in the cockpit remains.
In my files I have digital copies of the Form 540 relating to the crash also the Accident reports, service records and individual photos of the crew. If you do not have these I would be happy to forward them.
Five of the crew were originally in the Australian Army and had volunteered for Aircrew.
The loss of Lancaster PB456 thirteen days later on the 13/9/44 near Loch Lomond was an exact mirror image of PD259's loss with both wreckage trails being exactly identical breaking up over the same distance and the same navigation route was being followed. PB456's detailed accident investigation report turned up in the AAIB archives at Farnborough so one may exist there for PD259.

Best regards,
Alan.