PDA

View Full Version : Landing site near the NEC

long box
14th Sep 2010, 12:03
Does anyone know a lnading site near to the NEC except the airport? I used to use the Motorcycle Museum but they have stopped allowing it, NEC no go, any help would be great:ok:

JTobias
14th Sep 2010, 12:11
I'd be interested to know too. As far as I know the Airport is the nearest place.
Apparently the 200 acres of land (or however much it is) that the NEC have isn't big enough to get a chopper into.

Pretty pathetic for an International Conference centre.

Joel :ugh:

forget
14th Sep 2010, 12:16
This is hard to believe. The UK's NATIONAL Exhibition Centre doesn't have a heli-pad? How do the Air Ambulance and Police manage?

JTobias
14th Sep 2010, 13:32
Nope, no helipad

Parfetic :ugh:

Helinut
14th Sep 2010, 14:16
forget,

The cops and HEMS land where they choose. No permission needed.

forget
14th Sep 2010, 14:23
Yes, I understand that but with a venue where thousands congregate I'd have thought a proper helipad/parking would have been in the plans. Then again .............. :hmm:

Tarman
14th Sep 2010, 15:15
If you think that is bad, the Museum of Flight at East Fortune near Edinburgh, refused me permission to land at the their former RAF airfield because they hadn't done "A Risk Assessment" and they "didn't like helicopters". ( I thankfully phoned before setting out). They may have relented since but their attitude was shocking. (Gov funded)

Tarman

handysnaks
14th Sep 2010, 16:18
Coleshill Manor Business Campus has a helipad
Coleshill Manor (http://www.coleshillmanor.info/index.php)

5 miles from the NEC in betweeen the M6 and M42 Links

Coleshill Manor Helipad (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=manor&sll=52.503302,-1.72981&sspn=0.001525,0.003659&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&split=1&rq=1&ev=zi&t=h&radius=0.09&hq=manor&hnear=&z=18)

Why do the NEC need a helipad, they're right next to a firkin great airport (where, I have it on good authority, you can park a helicopter)?

Or do you really mean, why don't they have a free or at least cheaper than the airport, helipad?:E

FSXPilot
14th Sep 2010, 17:31
Hard to believe that folk that can afford a helicopter balk at landing at an airport because of the landing fees. :ugh:

toptobottom
14th Sep 2010, 18:01
If you're going to the NEC, then I'd use the airport! They're used to PPL(H)s coming in and very friendly, but you'll need a ground handling agent - i think i used Servisair (0121 767 7767) when i last went there a few years ago. They charge about £70, but they'll also drive you to the NEC and pick you up when you're ready to come back :ok:
TTB

101BOY
14th Sep 2010, 18:08
Some people - tighter than a gnat's #####. :E

ShyTorque
14th Sep 2010, 19:04
I tried hard and failed with the NEC with regard to landing in the grounds and that was with some "inside help".

As far as using the airport instead, it's not so much the cost; but more the inconvenience of the traffic queues on busy event days.

As my passenger once pointed out, it only took about 40 minutes to fly him to Brum from London, but it took over an hour to get the couple of miles round the link roads to the NEC, longer on the way out. :ugh:

toptobottom
14th Sep 2010, 20:11
ST - I may have been lucky, but I used to go up for the bike/car shows and the main roads were a bit sticky, but I seem to remember the Servisair guys used a route that got me the the NEC in c. 10 mins. If you phone them 15 mins before you're ready to leave, they'll send a car to collect you so it's ready and waiting for the return trip. And all complimentary!

ShyTorque
14th Sep 2010, 23:49
ttb,

:ok: Thanks but the flights aren't for my own benefit and when landing at EGBB I always do use the handling agents (have done many times). Yes, they provide the limo and chauffeur, always booked in advance for the pax. The folk I bring don't "visit" the shows, they are corporate guests, or higher ;). And the NEC still won't let us land there... :rolleyes:

toptobottom
15th Sep 2010, 07:23
It's incredible - must be more to it than we know about :ugh:

ShyTorque
15th Sep 2010, 07:47
I think the final decision was made for "H&S" reasons. :hmm:

JTobias
15th Sep 2010, 10:11
Getting a bit tired of the "if you can afford a helicopter you can afford the landing fees' type of comment. Its presumably made by those that don't have one or pay to use one. :mad:

Heli pilots don't usually baulk at paying to land somewhere if it's an appropriate charge for the service they receive. This weekend I was obliged to negotiate a landing fee at a hotel down from £100 to £50. The hotel has an "H" and the bloody room was only £49.

I can park my car at this hotel for free, but not my helicopter. If I'd turned up in a Bugatti Veyron costing twice as much as my machine I could have parked it in their car park for free. Blatant profiteering.

To the two guys that have commented, do you actually own a helicopter or pay personally to use one? Given that one of you is called FSXBOY (Flight Simulator x ???) I suspect not. If you do, I'm surprised at your comments, as I'm sure others will be.

With regard to the NEC, and any other similar venue, the idea behind use of a helicopter is to get as close as possible to the venue. In terms of the NEC, it has absolute acres of land, 000's of corporate visitors and should IMHO (and many others) facilitate landings there. I'm certain that many of their visitors would like to attend by helicopter as they do at other venues attracting corporate clientèle.

kevin_mayes
15th Sep 2010, 10:56
Very Well said Joel...

Kev.

rotorcraig
15th Sep 2010, 11:12
Could be worth checking with the Marriot Forest of Arden hotel, when I used it a few years ago there was a heli parked on the front lawn pretty regularly.

It's still listed on Helipad.co.uk (http://www.helipad.co.uk/Helicopter0077v01record425.htm) and is a taxi ride away from the NEC.

RC

handysnaks
15th Sep 2010, 12:00
Joel

It may be that you have a helicopter so that you can get as close as possible to where you need to be. The aim of events run at places like the NEC is to get as many pairs of feet through the doors as possible. As most of those feet will arrive in cars then that is where the profit is to be made. The amount of cars they can get in an area the size of the footprint of your helicopter will make them more money than reserving the space for you and charging you a suitable fee! It's hard to believe but the world doesn't reserve around your convenience:cool:

Planemike
15th Sep 2010, 12:14
As far as using the airport instead, it's not so much the cost; but more the inconvenience of the traffic queues on busy event days.

It is possible to walk from the airport to the NEC undercover, MAGLEV ( or similar ) part of the way.

Planemike

ShyTorque
15th Sep 2010, 12:14
The amount of cars they can get in an area the size of the footprint of your helicopter will make them more money than reserving the space for you and charging you a suitable fee!

But there are other suitable areas not used for car parking........

It is possible to walk from the airport to the NEC undercover, MAGLEV ( or similar ) part of the way.

Crossing the runway's a bit tricky though. The business aircraft centre is not anywhere near the main terminal; it's way across the western side of the airfield.

JTobias
15th Sep 2010, 12:27
Handysnaks,

Do you own, operate or pay for use of a helicopter ? I suspect not.

Have you actually re-read your post to realise the futility of it?
And excuse me for having an opinion - in fact don't, I don't require anyone's permission.

I actually don't need to attend the NEC for any particular reason, and if the NEC don't want to allow heli's to land there then that's their prerogative. But given that it's the National Exhibition Centre and they derive footfall equally from the business community, as they do anyone else, why wouldnt they expect visitors to arrive by helicopter? They certainly accommodate cars, pedestrians HGV's and motorcycles. Helicopter traffic in this country is by no means unusual.

Furthermore, most helicopters would land on a patch of land utilised for nothing else and therefore they are likely to derive additional income rather than less.

Your comments appear to be heli-unfriendly. In which case what are you doing on this forum? Let me guess your an environmentalist.

And on a final note, in MY WORLD, everything revolves around me. I make it that way.

Planemike
15th Sep 2010, 13:12
Crossing the runway's a bit tricky though. The business aircraft centre is not anywhere near the main terminal; it's way across the western side of the airfield.

Mmmmm.... could be a bit of a problem !!!

Planemike

toptobottom
15th Sep 2010, 13:18
Handysnaks - it's not at all clear what your motivation is (unless you're just envious), but your comments are clearly based on ignorance. If the aim of places such as the NEC is to get as many feet through the door, then why exclude feet arriving by heli? There are very many events that are far more congested than the NEC, both in terms of visitors vs. footprint (the British GP is an obvious example). I don't see any H&S or environmental issues at these? The NEC has an enormous amount of land that could easily be used to accommodate heli traffic whilst compromising neither H&S regs nor income from visitors arriving via alternative means of transport.

TTB

JTobias
15th Sep 2010, 13:26
TTB

Well said

Joel :ok:

handysnaks
15th Sep 2010, 14:54
Envy me, no. (not this time anyway)

Correct, I don't own my own heli, I do occasionally get to work with helicopters though.

You are entitled to your own opinion of course and very occasionally my opinions might be closer to yours than you realise. However, When a place like the NEC has a location which is deliberately close to a major airport, the assumption is that that is where the aircraft (of any type), will land. In that particular bit of real estate (in spite of the fact that it is not particularly close to residential areas), it would be very hard to persuade the local population that another 'aviation location', for want of a better phrase,should be set up in the local vicinity. Add to that the fact that the airport at that location is fighting a major PR battle with the locals to extend its runway and you will probably find that the airport management would object to a helipad at the NEC as well.

TTB (or can I just call you T?)

Handysnaks - it's not at all clear what your motivation is (unless you're just envious), but your comments are clearly based on ignorance. If the aim of places such as the NEC is to get as many feet through the door, then why exclude feet arriving by heli?

My motivation, hmm. Partly I suppose, it's to provide an alternative view to the 'Oh my god, the NEC doesn't have a helipad, ipso facto it's sh!t view that started the thread off. Partly it was to generate some of the responses that you have so kindly provided. The initial motivation was of course to help! That's why I provided the information about Coleshill Manor:ugh:

Why exclude people arriving by Heli? They don't, as long as you park your Heli somewhere else!

And on a final note, in MY WORLD, everything revolves around me. I make it that way.

Doesn't that make you rather dizzy?

Finally,
Am I an environmentalist. Definitely, I rely on my environment totally, I don't think life would be worth living without it.

JTobias
15th Sep 2010, 15:16
Handysnaks,

I'm sure in the flesh you're a really nice guy. But this forum, which you are welcome to be a member of, is for people who are traditionally pro-heli.

No, we don't all go around thinking, or expecting, that because some of us fly them, or own them, that we have a god given right to land them where we like, but we do like to think that most people here are heli friendly.

You just don't seem to be. (at least on this topic)

Handy, in the whole scheme of things, its not unreasonable to expect that a major conference centre with masses of land would accept helicopters especially when they cater to major pop concerts whose headlining acts probably commute everywhere in them. The fact that a major airport is close, is quite frankly irrelevant, helicopters are by their very nature designed to land 'off airfield' and that's one of the reasons why we fly them.

On this occasion, you don't agree (and that's fine), but I think you will find that the majority of us do agree that the NEC should and could accommodate them.

Actually, in truth I think we should have a constitutional right to land them anywhere that is safe !!! I think I'll run for Prime Minister and make it my second act as leader of the Govt!

Joel :p

JTobias
15th Sep 2010, 15:25
Chaps

I've just had a great idea.How about we rent a flatback HGV/low loader. Park it at the NEC and then land on that !!!

Problem solved !!!

Joel :D

toptobottom
15th Sep 2010, 15:36
Great idea Joel - you can go first as it was your idea; i baggsy second. No room for a third?! :ok:

Bravo73
15th Sep 2010, 16:19
Handysnaks,

<snip> But this forum, which you are welcome to be a member of, is for people who are traditionally pro-heli. <snip>

Oooh, that's very generous of you, Joel.

You might just find that handy (and his previous alter ego, john du'pruyting) has been a member of this forum for a considerably longer time than you.

The NEC is different from most other conference centres in that it has an international airport right next door to it. Land there. Get over it.

FSXPilot
15th Sep 2010, 16:33
I rather resent the fact that you think I'm not heli friendly. The NEC's business is running exhibitions. Do you think for a minute that if they thought they could make money out of having a helicopter landing zome then presumably they would already have one.
At quite a lot of their shows it is a least £5 to park. In the space it takes to land a light helicopter you can probably park somewhere in the region of 10-15 cars probably more if you start thinking about the space required in case something goes wrong. Add to this they know nothing about aviation and they have an airport next door and I think you can start to see why perhaps they don't have helicopters land on their site.
Also if you checked the poeple that own the NEC are the pretty much the same people that own the airport.
I guess we may never agree on this particular matter.
As for do I own a helicopter the answer is no.

SilsoeSid
15th Sep 2010, 17:27
What a great thread, where to start!

Joel;
Apparently the 200 acres of land (or however much it is) that the NEC have isn't big enough to get a chopper into.

Pretty pathetic for an International Conference centre.

Lets read what the actual International Conference Centre in Birmingham has to say;
The ICC, Birmingham - The UK's Premier Conference Centre (http://www.theicc.co.uk/)

By Air
Birmingham International Airport (BHX) is located adjacent to Birmingham International Station. Travellers can access the city centre and The ICC quickly and conveniently by train or road.

Once You've Landed
Taxi
Taxi ranks are situated outside of the passenger terminals. Black cabs are the safest way to travel and each vehicle carries 5 people with luggage. The ICC is approximately a 16 mile journey by taxi from Birmingham International Airport.

Of course there's always The Edinburgh International Conference Centre;
eicc.co.uk :: Home (http://www.eicc.co.uk/)

Whether you are travelling to the EICC from the UK or overseas Edinburgh is very easy to reach. Being located just 7 miles away, the EICC is easily accessible from Edinburgh International Airport; click here for information on how to reach the EICC after arriving by plane.

Then there's Harrogate ICC, Riviera ICC (Torquay) etc, etc. Funnily enough all with the same attitude you refer to, that being;

if the NEC don't want to allow heli's to land there then that's their prerogative.

;)

toptobottom
15th Sep 2010, 18:39
Gawd - here we go again...

SilsoeSid

With respect, I think you've missed the point. Obviously, those directions pages are addressing Joe Public, because 99.99% of Joe Publics don't have regular access to a heli.

Joel's point is two-fold: first, don't rip off people arriving in a heli, just because they arrive in a heli and second, why would a heli arrival want to pay £70+ to park at an international airport if there is the possibility of parking at the event (without affecting H&S, revenue from other visitors, etc.)? The NEC has plenty of space for [at least] one helipad. As Shytorque said, if senior mgt of the NEC can't sort it out, I suspect there are other reasons that we don't know about but, as far as I can see, there is no obvious commercial, environmental or risk issue that would prevent helis landing adjacent to the NEC.

Handysnaks
When a place like the NEC has a location which is deliberately close to a major airport, the assumption is that that is where the aircraft (of any type), will land
I think it's an unfair assumption. Are you suggesting that when I fly down to Celtic Manor to watch the Ryder Cup in a couple of weeks (a major event with 000's of visitors and next to an international airport), I should land at EGTG instead of its helipad (albeit £150 landing fee for non-residents :eek:)?

FSXPilot
Do you think for a minute that if they thought they could make money out of having a helicopter landing zome then presumably they would already have one. At quite a lot of their shows it is a least £5 to park. In the space it takes to land a light helicopter you can probably park somewhere in the region of 10-15 cars probably more if you start thinking about the space required in case something goes wrong.
I have no doubt they would make money by having a pad on-site; it would attract a wider audience and have no impact on road vehicle parking because it would be positioned so as not to interfere with existing parking facilities.

Bravo73
You might just find that handy (and his previous alter ego, john du'pruyting) has been a member of this forum for a considerably longer time than you.
But not as long as me! What's that got to do with the price of fish anyway :confused:

And as for:
The NEC is different from most other conference centres in that it has an international airport right next door to it. Land there. Get over it.

Not really got the point either, have we...

TTB

FSXPilot
15th Sep 2010, 18:51
In which case I suggest you contect the NEC with a view to helping them allow helicopters land there and see how you get on. If you're really clever you might make some money out of it.

JTobias
15th Sep 2010, 19:09
Bloody hell,

I cant believe what I'm reading here !!! Have I got this right?

I'm in a HELICOPTER forum. It's for people that fly, enjoy the use of, or are otherwise interested in helicopters. Interested, usually, in a positive fashion.

Its called Rotorheads. Its name implies that we like things with a rotor. Sort of like "petrol head" implies that people like things with a motor. I didn't realise I was in the 'do we or don't we like helicopters' forum. And yet, here I am discussing a subject where people are seemingly anti-helicopter.

So for those that are in the wrong place (and I know I'm not). The Rotorheads forum is usually for those people who like everything helicopter and would like to use them for what they were designed for, namely, landing the f:mad::mad:king thing right outside the front door. Not unreasonable considering its a HELICOPTER!!

SilsoeSid, thanks for pointing out all the venues that don't' accept heli's - I wont be going to them. And I couldn't give a rat's ass if there's an airport next door because, If I wanted to land at a bloody airport, and then take a taxi to wherever I was going, I'd fly into it in a plane. Which fortunately I am also capable of doing.

Guys, if you lot don't think that major public venues, having appropriate regard for all the usual issues, shouldn't be helicopter friendly then f:mad::mad:k off to another forum. Because most of us here are pro-heli!

The funny thing is - I don't want to even land at the NEC at the moment!

Unbelievable :ugh:

Chopperman
15th Sep 2010, 19:34
Everytime I've been there's been many carparks not in use,surely a couple of car spaces could be allocated for us to park.:=

toptobottom
15th Sep 2010, 20:44
JT - absolutely right :ok:

Who's next?!
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/prooner/lurker.gif

handysnaks
15th Sep 2010, 20:54
Handysnaks,

I'm sure in the flesh you're a really nice guy. But this forum, which you are welcome to be a member of, is for people who are traditionally pro-heli.

No, we don't all go around thinking, or expecting, that because some of us fly them, or own them, that we have a god given right to land them where we like, but we do like to think that most people here are heli friendly.

You just don't seem to be. (at least on this topic) .
Correct, in the flesh I am an exceptionally nice guy! :p(as long as you ignore the actual flesh)

Partially disagreeing with your opinion on the NEC does not make me helicopter-unfriendly!

Handysnaks
Quote:
When a place like the NEC has a location which is deliberately close to a major airport, the assumption is that that is where the aircraft (of any type), will land
I think it's an unfair assumption. Are you suggesting that when I fly down to Celtic Manor to watch the Ryder Cup in a couple of weeks (a major event with 000's of visitors and next to an international airport), I should land at EGTG instead of its helipad (albeit £150 landing fee for non-residents )?

Ttb, An interesting leap of logic, If Celtic Manor has a helipad and if you are willing to pay the landing fees (or if they let you land there gratis), I would suggest that you land at Celtic Manor, it's where you want to go. Why would you want to land at an airport miles away?:rolleyes:

It would appear that the NEC doesn't have a helipad. They do however have a major international airport next door. So if you want to fly to the NEC I suggest that you land at the airport and get a taxi.

Those two options are not mutually exclusive.

The NEC has plenty of space for [at least] one helipad. As Shytorque said, if senior mgt of the NEC can't sort it out, I suspect there are other reasons that we don't know about but, as far as I can see, there is no obvious commercial, environmental or risk issue that would prevent helis landing adjacent to the NEC.

My very point, (in defending the NEC that is). Maybe it's because they can't get planning permission, or don't want to risk upsetting the locals by asking for planning permission. It isn't necessarily because they are an bunch of anti-helicopter backward looking luddites!

Joel
So for those that are in the wrong place (and I know I'm not). The Rotorheads forum is usually for those people who like everything helicopter and would like to use them for what they were designed for, namely, landing the fking thing right outside the front door. Not unreasonable considering its a HELICOPTER!!

I don't consider myself anti-helicopter, but we (as B73 has outed me:p) operators of helicopters have to do so in a real world, populated occasionally by enthusiasts like ourselves, sometimes by those who are indifferent and also by others who resent the environmental intrusion that our activities bring!

Now if you want to land your helicopter outside 'the front door' that may not be unreasonable to you but depending on where that front door is, it may be unreasonable to one or more others! Taking the views of non-helicopter lovers into consideration is hardly anti-helicopter! Ignoring their views is certainly not pro-helicopter!

The helicopter industry as a whole, is more than just you (I don't mean that disparagingly by the way). Operating helicopters in today’s political, industrial, environmental and equally important, social climate involves an awful lot of compromise. Just take a look at the efforts the major users of Battersea go through to keep the local population on board with continued operations at the heliport there! Sometimes we can use the helicopter exactly as we wish and sometimes we can't.

By the way, I don't want to land at the NEC either!

JTobias
15th Sep 2010, 21:12
Handysnaks

Thanks for the reply. I didnt, dont and never do want an argument with anyone. However, some of us here are heli-mad (guilty as charged). I don't really have a problem if the NEC dont want helicopters there, but, its not UNREASONABLE that a major international exhibition centre, in a developed country with plenty of space might just facilitate helicopters. To be honest I think they should actually encourage it. (But that's my opinion)

I know not everyone would agree with that, but all I and a few others are saying is that we're not really expecting something completely ridiculous. Years ago the prospect of landing at a hotel or restaurant might have seemed preposterous, now hundred, thousands of places "off airport" allow landings.

I regularly ring up new places and ask if they will allow helicopters in and 95% of the time I get a very enthusiastic yes and a friendly welcome. All some of us are saying is that it is definitely a venue that is capable of taking them and in this modern, progressive day and age - it should.

Simples........

How about we just agree to dis-agree ?

SilsoeSid
15th Sep 2010, 22:19
Commenting again, in thread order;

This is hard to believe. The UK's NATIONAL Exhibition Centre doesn't have a heli-pad?Do Earls Court or Olympia?
At least the NEC has BHX next door :ugh:

Yes, I understand that but with a venue where thousands congregate I'd have thought a proper helipad/parking would have been in the plans. Then again .............. :hmm:Just like the ones that every football ground/concert arena in the country have...or (b) ! :ugh:

I can park my car at this hotel for free, but not my helicopter. If I'd turned up in a Bugatti Veyron costing twice as much as my machine I could have parked it in their car park for free. Blatant profiteering.More like blatant business practise. :D

Besides, is it really as simple as just using up a couple of places in the car park, as some here may think?
British Helicopter Association | Guidelines (http://www.britishhelicopterassociation.org/guidelines.asp)

In the case of the NEC etc, I particularly like the article,
GUIDANCE FOR EVENT ORGANISERS AND
HELICOPTER OPERATORS AT SPECIAL EVENTS

With regard to the NEC, and any other similar venue, the idea behind use of a helicopter is to get as close as possible to the venue.And in the case of the NEC, that is BHX :rolleyes:

Your (handysnaks) comments appear to be heli-unfriendly. In which case what are you doing on this forum? Let me guess your an environmentalist.At which point Joel loses the discussion :=

If the aim of places such as the NEC is to get as many feet through the door, then why exclude feet arriving by heli? There are very many events that are far more congested than the NEC, both in terms of visitors vs. footprint (the British GP is an obvious example). I don't see any H&S or environmental issues at these? Would that be the same British GP at Silverstone, held at the ex-WW2 Bomber Station? There is an unbelievable organisation behind the Heli Ops for such an event, see BHAB link above. :ugh:

The NEC has an enormous amount of land that could easily be used to accommodate heli traffic whilst compromising neither H&S regs nor income from visitors arriving via alternative means of transport.And where exactly would this be?
Afraid I couldn't see anywhere amongst the 400ft pylons, 30ft lighting poles, hotels, lake, industrial units, captive balloons, Motorway etc that would present itself as a suitable and safe site as I flew over this very afternoon. :hmm:

But this forum, which you are welcome to be a member of, is for people who are traditionally pro-heli. A nice quote from a 'Self Appointed Mod' with no powers!

May I suggest that the forum title is re-read;
"Rotorheads A haven for professional helicopter pilots to discuss the things that affect them."

Traditionally, I read it as, for 'professional pilots'.
Unfortunately, the thing with traditions is that they need to be kept going otherwise any old oik will be throwing in their two-penneths worth here ;)

The fact that a major airport is close, is quite frankly irrelevant, helicopters are by their very nature designed to land 'off airfield' and that's one of the reasons why we fly them.Very relevant, I suggest that's one of the reasons why it was eventually chosen to be built where it is. I would also suggest that off airfield operations were fairly low on the list for the early designers and I wonder why it is that 'corporate' aircraft tend to be wheeled!

On this occasion, you don't agree (and that's fine), but I think you will find that the majority of us do agree that the NEC should and could accommodate them.The problem with speaking out for the majority is that as soon as you say that you are speaking for the majority, you find out that you aren't. :p

I've just had a great idea.How about we rent a flatback HGV/low loader. Park it at the NEC and then land on that !!!Why don't you save the cost of the low loader and just land in the car park anyway? :rolleyes:

SilsoeSid

With respect, I think you've missed the point. Obviously, those directions pages are addressing Joe Public, because 99.99% of Joe Publics don't have regular access to a heli.So, just to get this straight, those directions don't apply to the fortunate 0.01% then. So how do you get to those International Conference Centres with no helipads around? That's right, land at the local airport and jump in a taxi :ugh:

Missed the point? I think you've 'gone round' m8. :ok:

JTobias
15th Sep 2010, 23:18
Silsoe Sid,

Are you a Heli pilot ?
If so you need to consider another hobby or profession as you clearly don't like heli's. And if you seriously can't find an area at the NEC that's suitable for landing then I'm amazed.

Just out of interest, where should we have HLS's ?

This forum is for people that like them.

Joel

SilsoeSid
15th Sep 2010, 23:20
Joel's point is two-fold: first, don't rip off people arriving in a heli, just because they arrive in a heli and second, why would a heli arrival want to pay £70+ to park at an international airport if there is the possibility of parking at the event (without affecting H&S, revenue from other visitors, etc.)? My reply to that would be two-fold.
It is a business, simple as!
Do you really think that the NEC would let you park your heli there free of charge if they knew you were evading paying £70 just across the road! :ugh:

The NEC has plenty of space for [at least] one helipad. As Shytorque said, if senior mgt of the NEC can't sort it out, I suspect there are other reasons that we don't know about but, as far as I can see, there is no obvious commercial, environmental or risk issue that would prevent helis landing adjacent to the NEC.Clearly there is, in addition to my earlier post about potential sites.

Are you suggesting that when I fly down to Celtic Manor to watch the Ryder Cup in a couple of weeks (a major event with 000's of visitors and next to an international airport), I should land at EGTG instead of its helipad (albeit £150 landing fee for non-residents )?One minute you are arguing about the costs of landing at off-airfield sites, the next you are happy to pay £150 to land at the event, rather than land at Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa for £35 and get a taxi :confused:

The Rotorheads forum is usually for those people who like everything helicopter and would like to use them for what they were designed for, namely, landing the f:mad::mad:king thing right outside the front door. Not unreasonable considering its a HELICOPTER!!I think a lot of us here use helicopters for a greater range of things than just landing at events and expanding their social life. I'm always a bit wary when I see a helicopter lift from a pub in the countryside! :suspect:

Guys, if you lot don't think that major public venues, having appropriate regard for all the usual issues, shouldn't be helicopter friendly then f:mad::mad:k off to another forum. Because most of us here are pro-heli!I don't think that realising that there may be some very good reasons why the NEC doesn't have a helipad, makes anyone anti-heli.
The clue may well be in your term, 'Major Public Venues'. These tend to be in congested areas, with many people simply bumbling about, possibly after a few wets post event, and they often hold events that go on 'til late (dark).

If venues such as the NEC thought it profitable or necessary as an addition to their site, they would have looked into it and taken action. I think however, that you may find they may have and weren't prepared to take the risk both in financial or flight safety terms ;)

I know not everyone would agree with that, but all I and a few others are saying is that we're not really expecting something completely ridiculous.At some venues, it would be just that!

Silsoe Sid,

Are you a Heli pilot ?
If so you need to consider another hobby or profession as you clearly don't like heli's. And if you seriously can't find an area at the NEC that's suitable for landing then I'm amazed.

Just out of interest, where should we have HLS's ?

This forum is for people that like them.

Joel
Not quite, this forum, as I pointed out earlier is "A haven for professional helicopter pilots to discuss the things that affect them".

In reference to the NEC, I could land there if it was required, because I can. Unfortunately for the reasons you may wish to land there, it is my opinion, that there is no 'safe area' for you to 'operate' from without a substantial amount of money being spent. And who would end up paying for it all?
Those that use both the HLS and the car park, as fees would increase.

toptobottom
16th Sep 2010, 00:01
SilsoeSid

Are you a kleptomaniac?! Why use 20 fragmented posts when one will do?!! Very odd. Anyway, to try and keep up with your ramblings, nobody's suggested 'free landings', only fees comensurate with the service delivered. And if the addition of a pad increases traffic, the surely that increases revenues :ugh: (just thought i'd add the 'ugh' icon as you seem to be so fond of them).

As for landing at Earls Court or Olympia, there's the small matter of congested area and class A, otherwise great idea!!! In fact, there's an airport just around the corner - LHR. Let's invite R22s to that and charge them, say, £500 to land and park - why on earth would I want to land at the event when there's such a great airport to land my helicopter just around the corner? :D

To be honest, I can't be bothered to respond to most of your posts, but my comment on the landing fees at Celtic manor was an ironic reference to the original point about ripping off heli visitors; I never said I was happy about it...?! Wasted on you obviously. I suggest you re-read the thread, before posting any more - or is there a special badge for posting 20 consecutive comments?

Finally, if you're worried about flying near hotels and lakes, industrial units and motorways, i suggest you take ulcer tablets, cos there ain't too many landing sites that don't have these old chap :ugh: ooops, sorry! I meant :p

SilsoeSid
16th Sep 2010, 00:11
And there's silly old me thinking a congested area was something like 'an area in relation to a city, town or settlement which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes or close to an open air assembly of 1000 or more people', ring any NEC bells? :rolleyes:

Finally, if you're worried about flying near hotels and lakes, industrial units and motorways, i suggest you take ulcer tablets, cos there ain't too many landing sites that don't have these old chapMay I suggest it is you that re-reads the thread.
clue "In reference to the NEC, I could land there if it was required, because I can." :p

As for J's previous comment, I happen to prefer helicopters to remain in one piece!

Anyway, to try and keep up with your ramblings, nobody's suggested 'free landings', only fees comensurate with the service delivered.Oh Yes they have...

I can park my car at this hotel for free, but not my helicopter. If I'd turned up in a Bugatti Veyron costing twice as much as my machine I could have parked it in their car park for free. Blatant profiteering.How is that misinterpreted then?

Your reference to Celtic Manor was nothing more than you trying to make a smug 'high brow' point. However when it was highlighted as ridiculous, showing that you have made no attempt of planning a more suitable site, you claim it as a 'back pedalling' ironic reference. :rolleyes:
Took me less than a minute to find that alternate for you ;)
A simple thanks will do :ok:

Bottom line though chaps is;

Would you be happy leaving your aircraft in the insecure car park of the NEC, (or Birmingham Business Park ;) ) unattended for a couple of hours, possibly in the dark... or would you rather leave it in a secure site with restricted access and security patrols?

All the best,
SS

B.U.D.G.I.E
16th Sep 2010, 08:20
Right then...you want to land your chopper at the NEC right by the front door cause you can't be arsed to walk. So the NEC now say ok no probs and we won't charge you as much as a landing fee at BHX. The HLS is right on the opposite side of the NEC away from the airport, car parks,foot traffic and buildings.
Still going to want to fly in???

oh and sid
or would you rather leave it in a secure site with restricted access and security patrols?

mmmm:rolleyes:

JTobias
16th Sep 2010, 08:24
Anyone know if the millennium stadium has a helipad ?

Joel ;)

SilsoeSid
16th Sep 2010, 08:58
ttb,

Because 20 individual posts, replying to 20 other different individual posts, is easier to read than one huge post replying to all...as you can see.
Just for the record, I wasn't the one to put them all in one post, it was either automatic or Mod'd. Hey ho!

Budg,
I know, thanks! :ouch:

JT,
Yes, the Millenium Stadium/O2 Arena does have its own pad, it's called London City Airport! ;)
However, given the right passenger, you can land a single just beside the statue in the grounds of the Old Naval College at Greenwich. :p

toptobottom
16th Sep 2010, 09:02
Don't think so Joel. Mind you, there's a great airport just across the river - City Airport I think it's called. Not sure if they do free landings - worth a call though? :E

Brilliant Stuff
16th Sep 2010, 09:21
City sadly don't allow helicopters in. Don't know about private fixed wing.

toptobottom
16th Sep 2010, 09:31
SS

I'm sorry you feel intimidated by my enormous wealth and importance. If you weren't so paranoid, you'd have realised that Celtic Manor is just one example of how a helipad can easily be a feature of a large public event, despite being adjacent to an international airport. Instead of being pedantic and using it as an opportunity to flick peanuts at the detail, it would be more interesting to try and discuss the original points raised - which are still valid.

I'm bored with this thread now; we're in a loop. I'm with Joel and I don't understand how or why the other contributors don't get it :confused:

JTobias
16th Sep 2010, 10:25
Boys

I'm with TTB. But why don't we all play nice from now on. The wx is lovely and I'm going for lunch. I know a lovely restaurant in Manchester City centre. I'm going to ring them and see if I can land in St Annes Square.

SilsoeSid
16th Sep 2010, 10:34
I'm with TTB. But why don't we all play nice from now on. The wx is lovely and I'm going for lunch. I know a lovely restaurant in Manchester City centre. I'm going to ring them and see if I can land in St Annes Square.

Good idea, (especially as we are being mod'd!)
I'm off to the grass area between the NEC entrance and Lake for a baguette, just need to make the call ;)

Have a good day all. :ok:

toptobottom
16th Sep 2010, 10:40
It was fun while it lasted :ok:

Fly safe guys!

1helicopterppl
20th Sep 2010, 17:49
There always used to be a Heliport in Birmingham Business Park, which is adjacent to the NEC ! It's not a manned Heliport but site, concrete H & windsock are still there as far as I know.

It used to be used pretty regularly in the Nineties by a company called Arlington Securities who had a B222 operated by Starspeed.

JTobias
20th Sep 2010, 19:52
Bloody hell, I've just seen it on Google Earth!!!!!
Couldn't you have mentioned that last week
It would have saved us all a whole heap of trouble

Joel;)

JTobias
20th Sep 2010, 22:32
SS

It was ?
Was it?
What did it say?
Is it still there?
Can we use it or not ?
Tell me
Coz if we can, I'll find a reason to go!

SilsoeSid
21st Sep 2010, 18:57
JT, I think it's a case of finding out from the Birmingham Business Park if it's still in available, from the Management and Marketing Office on 0121 717 7000

Hopefully this clicky will help locate the site. (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=nec+%2Bhelicopter&sll=52.527919,-2.021484&sspn=0.054306,0.219727&ie=UTF8&hq=nec+%2Bhelicopter&hnear=&ll=52.465642,-1.722107&spn=0.001699,0.006866&t=h&z=18)

206 jock
21st Sep 2010, 19:50
I was up at the NEC today (driving) and popped past: the helipad is still there, with good approaches. The windsock has gone. The 'H' itself looks like paving slabs that are slightly uneven, surrounded by clinker or similar.

Eminently useable, subject to permission. Not much security though.

JTobias
21st Sep 2010, 21:03
Thanks

delta3
21st Sep 2010, 22:41
It strikes me that people (what ever their motivations might be..., but apparently non pilot/owners) make the argument that heli's should use airports.

Isn't it problematic to concentrate everything on one specific area? Why should the people around that area accept that? Look what happens at and around many airports...

As far as environment is concerned, it is also more efficient to land close by, this avoids unnecessary secondary transportation, which is hardly environmentally friendly. This argument is fundamentally different for heli's as compared to airplanes.

I do however follow the economic reasoning that low use facilities are not "sustainable". But this should not be the case for NEC. I do also observe that in many such places political high brass tends to be the first to create LZ's if it is convenient for them...

m2c, d3

JTobias
22nd Sep 2010, 10:38
I think I'll apply to be the Prime Minister!