PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Aerodynamics and Systems

cavok123
14th Sep 2010, 07:53
Hi Guys

Im sitting the atpl aerodynamics and aircraft systems exam again soon and wondering if anyone had got a question on Flying tail -purpose questions? AFT dont have much info in their study notes except a multi choice question as a revision question. And if any one had some other weird questions on their exam.

cheers

legaleagle73
14th Sep 2010, 12:58
I'm pretty sure I had a question on the flying tail in the exam. The flying tail is described in Handling the Big Jets (one of the recommended texts). Do a search on Pprune because I'm sure I also asked a question about flying tails when I was about to sit the exam.

Cheers

clinty83
15th Sep 2010, 08:38
I sat this exam yesterday, yep I got a couple of questions on the flying tail.

If you have access to an aircraft like a cherokee 6 or archer etc go and have a look at it. Move it around and take note of its movements.

Its a toughish exam, you need a clear understanding of specific things like electrical systems, hydraulic and aircon systems. In my two exams (the first one I failed, the second one I came through well) these were the main question subjects.

Good luck with it mate, let us know how you go.

Clinty83:ok:

JCJ
15th Sep 2010, 09:17
My understanding is a stabilator is not a flying tail. The all flying tail still has an elevator connected to the stab via linkages, where as the Cherokee's have a trim tab. I remember the distinction being made between a stabilator and an all flying tail. If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will clarify it.

As Clinty said, it is a tough exam, the 6 P rule is very important!

Comparing with other guys, it can really be a mixed bag, so know it all well.

All the best with the exam.:ok:

cavok123
15th Sep 2010, 10:30
Thanks for the info.

What's the 6 P rule?

Aerodynamisist
15th Sep 2010, 10:39
The flying tail is used as a reference to the trim up and down of the leading edge of the horizontal stabiliser, have a look at the tail of a metro for an example. Or in this pic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Trimmable_horizontal_stabiliser.JPG

The thing to remember for the exam is that it's used to minimise trim drag as apposed to the anti servo tabs used for trimming conventional elevator setups like the ones found on a Cessna http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Control-tab.png

JCJ
15th Sep 2010, 10:58
Prior Preparation Prevents P..s Poor Performance